Author Topic: Great day for my Cali III today!  (Read 2471 times)

Offline sidecarnutz

• Gaggle Mentor
Great day for my Cali III today!
« on: January 21, 2015, 03:16:30 PM »
Woo Hoo! Got the old beast running better than it has in the 2 years I've owned it! It had been running badly and intermittently on one cylinder. I made new spark plug wires. Helped, but not a fix. Started cleaning electrical connections and checking grounds... Bingo!  :+1 The bike IS 25 years old after all! Took it for a spin this afternoon. Wow! Now this is how these old mills are supposed to run!!  ;-T After it was nice and hot I had to turn down the idle screws. The idle had gone from 700 to 1500 rpm.
Dang. I was worried I'd be out $200 for another Dyna box. Looks like it was just a poor ground.

Really happy with it now.
yeah, I might be addicted to brake fluid. But I can stop any time I want.

2002 Kawasaki ZR7S
2021 Royal Enfield 650 Conti GT

Offline rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
Re: Great day for my Cali III today!
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2015, 03:38:42 PM »
Very good!

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
Re: Great day for my Cali III today!
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2015, 07:29:42 PM »
Woo Hoo! Got the old beast running better than it has in the 2 years I've owned it! It had been running badly and intermittently on one cylinder. I made new spark plug wires. Helped, but not a fix. Started cleaning electrical connections and checking grounds... Bingo!  :+1 The bike IS 25 years old after all! Took it for a spin this afternoon. Wow! Now this is how these old mills are supposed to run!!  ;-T After it was nice and hot I had to turn down the idle screws. The idle had gone from 700 to 1500 rpm.
Dang. I was worried I'd be out $200 for another Dyna box. Looks like it was just a poor ground.

Really happy with it now.

That's great, and another example of the old saying (well, I don't how how old it is but I live by it) that "95% of all motorcycle electrical problems are caused by a bad ground or a bad battery."

We always want the problem to be something we can unbolt and replace, like a coil or a box or a connector, but it's generally bad grounds, as you found.

Happy trails!

Lannis
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here