Author Topic: Trials event, in case anyone is interested  (Read 951 times)

Offline SIR REAL ED

• Gaggle Hero
  • uh.... it's personal....
Trials event, in case anyone is interested
« on: May 06, 2022, 09:05:36 AM »
Where:  155 Rimrock Lane, Madison Heights VA
When:  May 15, 2022

For more information see:  https://www.cvotc.org/events

or look up CVOTC on Facebook.

Off pavement parking only, so bring something to put under your side stand!!

Hopefully some will attend and find out they have a new addiction........   :wink:

"If reading shite on the internet will trigger your head exploding, please wrap your head in Gorilla tape before logging on.  Thanks!!!"

2019 Beta EVO 250
1999 Suzuki DR 650 w/790cc kit
1994, 2001, & 2002 MZ Skorpions
1992 YAMAHA TDM850

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
Re: Trials event, in case anyone is interested
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2022, 09:52:47 AM »
I always reckoned that was a good way to feed your motorcycle addiction.
A short foray into that in the 80’s revealed that the trials community are a relatively amiable bunch, there seems to be no “glass ceiling” between A graders and the rest…

Offline twowheeladdict

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2022, 10:15:12 AM »
Where:  155 Rimrock Lane, Madison Heights VA
When:  May 15, 2022

For more information see:  https://www.cvotc.org/events

or look up CVOTC on Facebook.

Off pavement parking only, so bring something to put under your side stand!!

Hopefully some will attend and find out they have a new addiction........   :wink:

Cool!  I got into vintage trials after seeing it at Barber Vintage days.  Sold my KT250 in 2020.
2022 Moto Guzzi V85TT Guardia D'onore
2018 V7 III Carbon Dark #0009 of 1921
2018 Road Glide Special
2021 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2017 Suzuki Van Van 200
2009 Harley Davidson Softail Custom

Offline Ncdan

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2022, 01:32:12 PM »
As I always respond, my friend, I’m too old for another addiction of my youth 😂
However, sometime I may surprise you and come and watch 👍

Dan

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2022, 01:32:12 PM »

Offline Guzzistajohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2022, 03:30:34 PM »
Trials riding is a blast! I rode AHRMA trials for a few years. I’m a firm believer it’s made me a better rider. My fondest memory was trials school taught by Dick Mann :bow: :thumb: but it’s a long haul from Missouri to Virginia
« Last Edit: May 06, 2022, 03:31:55 PM by Guzzistajohn »
ебать Россию!   Not anti social-pro solitude

Offline twowheeladdict

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2022, 03:40:17 PM »

Dan

I called vintage trials "Old man yoga on a motorcycle"  It really worked on your balance and flexibility.  A lot of fun if you have the land to ride at home. 

Hauling to my neighbors property got tiresome and you felt like you had to commit to a few hours of riding to make it worth hauling the bike over there.   He had 30 acres with ridges, valleys, nice year round stream running through.  It is a trials paradise and we taped off many trials sections on the property. 

How could you not love having one of these?

2018 Road Glide Special
2021 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2017 Suzuki Van Van 200

Offline Ncdan

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2022, 07:22:15 PM »
I called vintage trials "Old man yoga on a motorcycle"  It really worked on your balance and flexibility.  A lot of fun if you have the land to ride at home. 

Hauling to my neighbors property got tiresome and you felt like you had to commit to a few hours of riding to make it worth hauling the bike over there.   He had 30 acres with ridges, valleys, nice year round stream running through.  It is a trials paradise and we taped off many trials sections on the property. 

How could you not love having one of these?

I didn’t want to admit this to Sir Ed but I’m getting ready to look at a 74 Honda XL175.
My ole Honda mechanic is going through it now.
Maybe next time I may just attend and putz around a bit🤔👍

Offline SIR REAL ED

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2022, 07:42:14 PM »

Dan

"You're only young once, but you can be foolish and immature for the rest of your life!"

Don't sell yourself short.  "You're never too old!"

We will have at least one club member who is 80+ years old, maybe a half dozen more in their 70's, plus a bunch of kids in their 60's and 50's.  And a few toddlers in their 40's and 30's.

"If reading shite on the internet will trigger your head exploding, please wrap your head in Gorilla tape before logging on.  Thanks!!!"

2019 Beta EVO 250
1992 YAMAHA TDM850

Offline Ncdan

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2022, 08:34:50 PM »
"You're only young once, but you can be foolish and immature for the rest of your life!"

Don't sell yourself short.  "You're never too old!"

We will have at least one club member who is 80+ years old, maybe a half dozen more in their 70's, plus a bunch of kids in their 60's and 50's.  And a few toddlers in their 40's and 30's.
Also Many times you can only be a fool once, at any age👍
« Last Edit: May 06, 2022, 08:36:38 PM by Ncdan »

Offline SIR REAL ED

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2022, 01:20:10 PM »
Also Many times you can only be a fool once, at any age👍

true enough.

sometimes the price of eternal fame is high.

on the plus side, all the witnesses have a great story to tell for the rest of their lives....

so many choices, so few chances......   :wink:

2019 Beta EVO 250
1992 YAMAHA TDM850

Offline Ncdan

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2022, 02:08:47 PM »
true enough.

on the plus side, all the witnesses have a great story to tell for the rest of their lives....

Yea, in the south we usually use the phrase
“Hey y’all…… watch this” prior to doing something really foolish 😂😂👍

Offline twowheeladdict

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2022, 07:07:59 PM »
true enough.

And if it gets caught on video you could become immortal! 
2018 Road Glide Special
2021 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2017 Suzuki Van Van 200

Offline SIR REAL ED

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2022, 10:30:26 PM »

Very well put.  For those who have not tried it, trials is an interesting combination of physical execration, mental focus, balance, and a mental state very close to meditation.  An extremely satisfying activity.  Hard to believe, until you try it.

I'm not talking about the stuff you see on TV, just the very simple act of attemptiing a new technique or practicing an old one, or a slight increment of something you have done before.

The varying difficulty of the different classes virtually eliminates danger.  Of course, nothing is foolproof because fools are so ingenious.

I love asking experienced motorcyclists to get on my bike: "One finger on the clutch, one on the front brake, now start out doing figure 8's, start out at a comfortable speed and diameter and just start slowing down and reducing the turn radii, so you are going as slow as you can, and turning as tight as you can."

Within a minute they are huffing and puffing as if they are running, laughing their asses off and saying "I feel like I've never been on a motorcycle before!!"  I then know they are close to being addicted.

one of my trials buddies, Pate will turn 90 in 5 weeks.  He was an amazing rider up until 6 years ago and gave it up about 3 years ago due to medical issues.

It is perhaps the only motorcycle riding that be done in a 100' x 100' area, with a very few easily made obstacles.  Pate always said practice figure 8's until you can turn at full lock and balance at a stop for as long as you want.  You can learn/practise throttle control, clutch control, brake control and balance all in one simple activity.

Another Pate quote: "Take your time, get the technique right, and once you get up on top of that 3' high rock, you won't even care if you get any when you go home tonight!"   :wink:

You see someone over 80 do something that looks effortless, then you attempt the same.  A lesson in humility.  Pay attention, especially when you hear that their engine isn't turning more than a couple thousand rpm.

Great fun for old motorcyclists who find that speed is starting to be scary, car drivers have ADHD and might be insane or homicidal, and that the possibility of bouncing your body off hard objects at more than a walking pace is no fun.

come one, come all.  it will be a fun day!

If any of you WG types can't make it,  shoot me a PM and I'll meet you up there sometime.  There's a few Guzzi riders within a dozen miles or so......
« Last Edit: May 07, 2022, 10:39:26 PM by SIR REAL ED »

2019 Beta EVO 250
1992 YAMAHA TDM850

Offline Ncdan

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2022, 10:33:36 PM »
Very well put.  For those who have not tried it, trials is an interesting combination of physical execration, mental focus, balance, and a mental state very close to meditation.  An extremely satisfying activity.

I'm not talking about the stuff you see on TV, just the very simple act of attemptiing a new technique or practicing an old one, or a slight increment of something you have done before.

The varying difficulty of the different classes virtually eliminates danger.  Of course, nothing is foolproof because fools are so ingenious.

I love asking experienced motorcyclists to get on my bike: "One finger on the clutch, one on the front brake, now start out doing figure 8's, start out at a comfortable speed and diameter and just start slowing down and reducing the turn radii, so you are going as slow as you can, and turning as tight as you can."

Within a minute they are huffing and puffing as if they are running, laughing their asses off and saying "I feel like I've never been on a motorcycle before!!"  I then know they are close to being addicted.

one of my trials buddies, Pate will turn 90 in 5 weeks.  He was an amazing rider up until 6 years ago and gave it up about 3 years ago due to medical issues.

It is perhaps the only motorcycle riding that be done in a 100' x 100' area, with a very few easily made obstacles.  Pate always said practice figure 8's until you can turn at full lock and balance at a stop for as long as you want.  You can learn/practise throttle control, clutch control, brake control and balance all in one simple activity.

Great fun for old motorcyclists who find that speed is starting to be scary, car drivers have ADHD and might be homicidal, and that the possibility of bouncing your body off hard objects at more than a walking pace is no fun.

If I get the Honda XL175 I’ll head your way one day👍

Offline twowheeladdict

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2022, 09:45:15 PM »
Very well put.  For those who have not tried it, trials is an interesting combination of physical execration, mental focus, balance, and a mental state very close to meditation.  An extremely satisfying activity.  Hard to believe, until you try it.

Another Pate quote: "Take your time, get the technique right, and once you get up on top of that 3' high rock, you won't even care if you get any when you go home tonight!"   :wink:

You see someone over 80 do something that looks effortless, then you attempt the same.  A lesson in humility.  Pay attention, especially when you hear that their engine isn't turning more than a couple thousand rpm.

Great fun for old motorcyclists who find that speed is starting to be scary, car drivers have ADHD and might be insane or homicidal, and that the possibility of bouncing your body off hard objects at more than a walking pace is no fun.

If any of you WG types can't make it,  shoot me a PM and I'll meet you up there sometime.  There's a few Guzzi riders within a dozen miles or so......

Now your making me want to get another one.
2018 Road Glide Special
2021 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2017 Suzuki Van Van 200

Offline SIR REAL ED

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2022, 06:36:49 PM »
Now your making me want to get another one.

once you pass age 50, you can use the old adage that "Life is short!" to rationalize anything....   :wink:

2019 Beta EVO 250
1992 YAMAHA TDM850

Offline Guzzistajohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #16 on: May 09, 2022, 09:07:42 PM »

My 40th Birthday Jan 21st Y2K 1976 BULTACO Sherpa T, Chadwick, Mo.

Offline Guzzistajohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #17 on: May 09, 2022, 09:15:18 PM »

This is Norton riding his 350 BUL the day he took 1st in novice class at the AHRMA trial in Ridgedale, Mo. 1999. Amazing clutch control.

Offline SIR REAL ED

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #18 on: May 19, 2022, 08:06:54 PM »
FYI, the event went great.

One thing we did was to get out ahead of the usual whiners and attempted to shame them into behaving like adults via blatantly obvious ridicule.

Some of the most effective preventive maintenance I have ever performed.

Advice to Luap and Dan, for most whiners, a bruised ego gives them a sense of pride, so hit them hard and often!!!  You'll be doing them a favor!!!  Not only that, but if you do it right, it feels pretty good.   :wink:

Think about it, for those who wish to be martyrs, being ignored denies them a stage on which to be oppressed!  No stage, no audience, the cold, empty vacuum of space.....   :angry:

Kinda weird when you think about it.

Some of the humor might not be obvious to non-trials riders, but in case some might appreciate it, here are two links:

https://www.cvotc.org/results-top/results-for-madison-heights

https://www.cvotc.org/photoentrypoint/project-two-rewc2

If anyone is interested in viewing a couple humorous video's we made to give the unhappy a chance to regain their peace of mind, send me your cell phone number via PM.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2022, 08:22:10 PM by SIR REAL ED »

2019 Beta EVO 250
1992 YAMAHA TDM850

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here