Author Topic: Everyday wear boots? What do you wear?  (Read 24455 times)

Offline bratman2

• Gosling
Re: Everyday wear boots? What do you wear?
« Reply #60 on: January 11, 2015, 03:58:10 PM »
For bike riding I have a pair of UK made Doc martens 8" black. They have held up extremely well and super comfortable, maybe 6 or 7 years old now. They were bought as leftovers from maybe 05 production.  At work I have a USA Redwing 2223 black steel toes that took a few weeks to break in but are now pretty comfortable with orthotic insoles. I also currently have a leftover pair of brand new 6" Doc Martens UK made steel toes for work when the Redwings give it up. Really like Doc Martens but have not wrapped myself around the non UK versions.

Plus a Redwing USA made 4437 steel toe boot sitting third in line for work. You may wonder why this fool has two new pairs of steel toe boots at home for work. The 4437 boots have been discontinued and are super comfortable to me. So when I saw a new pair on Ebay for $141 shipped to my house I jumped on them. Last price from Redwing was well over $200.00 with a discount. I work 12 hour shift having to walk on steel grating, concrete and railroad ballast rock. We use a larger ballast rock now that really sucks to walk any distance on. Plus I have plantar fasciitis and occasional bouts with gout. I have to have really comfortable boots and orthotic insoles. Of course when gout does occasionally show up it is no boot time for me, hell I don't even want anything to touch my foot.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2015, 04:06:38 PM by bratman2 »
Glenn Taylor
09 Norge with Staintune and Rexxer reflash
87 Subaru Brat (owned since 97)

Offline jetmechmarty

• Gosling
« Reply #61 on: January 11, 2015, 04:20:22 PM »
My shoe size is 13B.  This severely limits my options.  In steel toe work boots, motorcycle boots, etc.  Red Wing is often the only player or one of two.  Fortunately, their USA made stuff is first quality.  Their Chinese manufactured stuff isn't offered in narrow, so I won't comment on it.  Real motorcycle boots aren't offered in my size by anyone AFAIK.  The only offerings I'm aware of are from Red Wing or Gasolina.  Biker boots.

I did buy some Chinese made pull-on boots a couple years ago.  I save $50 over a pair of Red Wings.  The straps broke straight away because they wire vinyl.  I paid a local shoe repair shop $50 to replace them.  Break-in was painful.  I seldom wear them as they're not nearly as comfortable as the Red Wings.  Sometimes it's true, you get what you pay for.
Marty (in Mississippi)
No Guzzi right now

Offline Testarossa

• Gaggle Hero
    • Skiing History
« Reply #62 on: January 11, 2015, 07:00:25 PM »
For slopping around in the snow this is my daily wear -- very warm and comfy but I need my custom footbed for support:

Of course, 8:30 to 4:30 this is office attire:
70 Triumph TR6R, 74 850T, 74 Yamaha TA125, 89 Mille GT, 99 F650, 2013 Yamaha XT250
Gone: 59 Piper Comanche 250, 69 Harley/Aermacchi 350SS, 71 Honda CB500/4, 74 Laverda 750 SF2, 91 Suzuki VX800, 50cc two-stroke scoot, 83 XR350R

Offline drw916

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #63 on: January 11, 2015, 07:31:51 PM »
I must be easily influenced.  I went to my local Red Wing store and ordered a pair of pull on boots.  It was really nice having a knowledgable sales person who helped match the boot shape to my feet.  Turns out I have smaller, but wider feet than I thought.  The western style just wouldn't fit.  Should be another week till they arrive.
2022 Triumph Tiger Sport 660
1969 Honda 90 (CM91)

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #63 on: January 11, 2015, 07:31:51 PM »

Penderic

« Reply #64 on: January 11, 2015, 07:44:04 PM »
For the custom and big motorcycle boots made for the motorcycle police/official officers ....

http://www.publicsafetyspecialties.com/motorcycle_officer_uniform.htm

They have a detailed order form for custom sizes........

« Last Edit: January 11, 2015, 07:46:02 PM by Penderic »

Offline donn

• Gaggle Hero
  • The thing is, I do want a pickle.
« Reply #65 on: January 19, 2015, 02:33:18 AM »
My shoe size is 13B.  This severely limits my options.

I'm 13B too, or somewhere in that vicinity depending on which foot.  Vendramini are a decent fit, I believe they're the "Daytona" model.

Offline Semper-guzzi

• Gaggle Mentor
Re:
« Reply #66 on: January 19, 2015, 09:25:56 AM »
I wear steal toe danners at work. They are comfy. I do lot of running in them and sliding around on the concrete. They hold up against the tough stuff. I get them replaced for free.
"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."

2003 California Aluminum RiP :(
2001 Jackal :)

Frulk

« Reply #67 on: January 19, 2015, 03:39:22 PM »
Justin Light Work Boot. Bought in 2006. From the first day the soft leather upper felt like I'd worn them for years. Upside: new cost $114 (maybe less if you shop around) very light, comfortable right out of the box and durable. Plus I can get them resoled locally for $35.00 (these just had new ones put on them). Downside: soles wear rather quickly, now made in China, pull on straps too small to get my index fingers through comfortably.

Offline drw916

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #68 on: January 19, 2015, 06:12:54 PM »
Just got my Redwing model 2230 pull on boots.  Steel toe and waterproof.  Not cheap, but what a great fit.  Out of the box, these are the most comfortable boots I think I have ever had.  I guess there really is a benefit to having shoes fitted by someone who knows what they are doing.
2022 Triumph Tiger Sport 660
1969 Honda 90 (CM91)

Offline Pasta Hog

• Gosling
« Reply #69 on: January 19, 2015, 06:57:25 PM »
I have had Timberland boots, but now that I've tried Danners, I will never buy Timberlands again. I wear Danner Acadia boots with light insulation. They're waterproof, extremely comfortable, very tough, and dry, even in hot weather. The local retailer told me to buy the insulated ones even though I'm in South Florida, and I thought he was nuts, but he was right. I wear them with wool Wigwam El-Pine socks.

My MSF instructor recommended Corbin boots, so I bought a pair. They go on and off fast, but they're stiff and uncomfortable. Also, the soles are useless. If you put one down on the oily part of a road, it will slip out from under you without warning.

The Timberlands I owned either rotted or simply fell apart, and they were nowhere near as comfortable as Danners.

http://www.danner.com/product/law-enforcement/acadia-8-black-200g.html
People who claim they don't have ten seconds to answer your stupid questions can always find several minutes to criticize them.

Offline jumpmaster

• Gosling
« Reply #70 on: January 19, 2015, 11:41:36 PM »
1st choice:  Original style (Vietnam through OIF/OEF) Army tan or black tactical boots make great 3-season boots that are acceptable for motorcycling, altho they're not as protective as full leather, and they are designed for LOTS of walking once broken in.  The tan ones do show oil stains pretty quickly, so if you're riding an "oiler" they won't be too good for dress-up occasions.  Beware of many of the current "tactical" boots on the market - they look neat  & are reported to be very comfortable, but some of them have soles that separate easily from the boot &/or wear unacceptably quickly if you walk in them a lot over anything rougher than your lawn. Not waterproof, but dry quickly while riding.
2nd choice:  Army winter boots, thinsulate lined & full leather, for real winter riding & excellent protection.  Essentially waterproof if kept reasonably polished & non-scuffed.  Too hot for late Spring thru early Fall in the Mid-Atlantic region, but, again, they're designed for a LOT of walking & are comfortable in my experience, once broken in.  Mine are a bi#@h to put on though, because I have high arches. 
Both types can be had for somewhat reasonable prices at Army surplus stores - if you check the sewing & other workmanship carefully.  They are there instead of being held as official military issue for a reason, but often the reason is just a slight blemish/scuff, an erroneously located tag, or slightly crookedly sewn seams.
3rd choice:  I had a pair of Timberland 8" (now called "the original Timberland") that I wore probably 6 days out of 7 for about 10 years & which I finally killed by walking thru hot coals for a couple of hours & melting the soles... I would have replaced them with another pair, but I've accumulated about 8 pairs of the 1st & 2nd choices above & don't anticipate wearing them out in my lifetime.
JC
90 Mille GT (sold), 73 Eldorado, 75 Norton Commando, 46 Whizzer, 13 Harley Road Glide

Offline Dogwalker

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #71 on: January 20, 2015, 03:55:35 AM »
Old stuff of the Italian Army. I'm wearing them right now.

« Last Edit: January 20, 2015, 05:02:44 AM by Dogwalker »

Offline skromfols

• Gosling
« Reply #72 on: January 20, 2015, 10:00:24 AM »
Various.  US Govt labs.  Technical conferences.  Meetings with vendors and customers (mostly engineering related).  About the only place I dress up is when meeting with a general officer or making a presentation to a 'formal' group.

I'm surprised Charlie, most general officers that I've delt with appreciate good boots, especially if you can spit shine the toe.  The most comfortable boots I've ever owned were provided by the US Army, but I made the mistake of getting rid of them years ago.

My riding boots are Red Wings.  I had side zippers installed to help slip them on and off.  Since I only use these for riding I keep them shined to a high gloss.  I believe I bought them in 1984, and they still look like new.

Stan
Stan

98 Valkyrie
08 Triumph America
05 Moto Guzzi Nevada

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
Best quality vinyl available today. Easy application.
Advertise Here

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
Best quality vinyl available today. Easy application.
Advertise Here