Author Topic: Removing bar end weights to put mirror on. Can't get the inner out  (Read 4381 times)

Offline benebob

• New Egg
Any thoughts or suggestions for getting the inner portion of the bar end weights out.  I have been trying for about 20 minutes on the first one and it will not budge (using a hammer and a couple fender washers on the allen bolt but zero movement).  Guzzi didn't weld them in or anything like that did they?

16 V7 ABS "the wapper"

Offline Sheepdog

• Gaggle Hero
  • 2007 Moto Guzzi California Vintage
Re: Removing bar end weights to put mirror on. Can't get the inner out
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2018, 09:42:06 AM »
Can you mount it using the bar-end weight's bolt...leaving the inner portion in place?
"Change is inevitable. Growth is optional." John C. Maxwell

Offline guzzisteve

• Gaggle Hero
  • "Just Ride It"
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2018, 10:22:18 AM »
I think it's part of the bar, might also be wrong too. I seen other Guzzi bars that it doesn't come out.
"Pray through Carlo & your bike shall be healed"

Offline Daleroso

• Gosling
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2018, 10:30:40 AM »
What bike? Having taken WAY to long to do what you're trying to do on a Triumph t100 I chose NOT to do it again on my '18 V7III Carbon Shine. I didn't want to cough up $275 for oem M/G bar ends so went with a black Bikemaster Superbike bar ($29.00 delivered). It's a 98% match to the oem bar with hollow ends. Can't tell the difference riding. The 3 day delivery time was worth not doing the inner weights a 2nd time. Then went with CRG Lanesplitter bar ends. They're round like the headlight & fold. ($200 pr). Not quite the same cost as oem mirrors but I wanted a black bar & round mirprs.
Good luck😃

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2018, 10:30:40 AM »

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2018, 10:34:57 AM »
replace the mounting fasteners for the mirror with bolts and fasteners that match the bar ends.  This could entail drilling and cutting the mirror mounts or adding rubber shims and inserts around the bolts to snug them in.

BTW- I got a really nice pair of aluminum barend mirrors for my V11 Sport from Ebay for about $20.  I bought some stamped sheet metal Emgo mirrors for $30 that vibrated so bad I couldn't use them.   This was all to replace the CRG lane splitters that had "drooped" over time.  Those cheap Chinese mirrors seem better in every way.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2018, 10:39:37 AM by LowRyter »
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Offline usedtobefast

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2018, 11:03:19 AM »
As you have figured out, they ain't coming out!  Can't you just re-use the bar end weight bolts with the bar end mirrors?   Or is the diameter and dish of the bolt head wrong?
2017 V7 iii Racer
2017 Griso
2016 Stornello
2000 Red Quota
Want a black/green 1000S big valve :)

Offline Daleroso

• Gosling
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2018, 11:35:55 AM »
5 sets of CRG Lanesplitters, different bikes, never "drooped." Probably an installation issue.

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2018, 12:08:36 PM »
5 sets of CRG Lanesplitters, different bikes, never "drooped." Probably an installation issue.

well put some miles on them and see what happens.   

When I say "drooped", I mean they lay back when traveling in the wind.  The springs wear out and they won't stay in adjustment.  So they droop back in the airflow.  So rather than spend $75 on a new pair that would fail, I found some much better mirrors for a lot less money.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Universal-Motorcycle-7-8-22mm-Aluminum-Rear-View-Side-Mirror-Handle-Bar-End-/401341951208
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Offline bodine99

• Gosling
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2018, 12:26:13 PM »
try a BFH and drive it in??

Online Howard R

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2018, 12:45:45 PM »
I'm not sure how your bar ends work, but I have seen a lot of them with a split wedge which expands to tighten up inside the bar when the bolt is tightened.  If these are those, screw a bolt into them a few turns, then strike a "small but sharp" blow on the bolt end to separate the wedge parts and they should pull right out.

Howard
Littlestown, PA  USA

1996 Sport 1100
1998 Centauro

MGNOC # L-707

Offline Daleroso

• Gosling
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2018, 01:26:57 PM »
Hi Low Ryter-not trying to be antagonistic BUT have had the CRG's through a lot of miles & yrs & again, no drooping.
Price can be a consideration & if you've found something from China that works for you that's what matters.
Personally, I try to avoid Chinese products.

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2018, 04:57:41 PM »
Hi Low Ryter-not trying to be antagonistic BUT have had the CRG's through a lot of miles & yrs & again, no drooping.
Price can be a consideration & if you've found something from China that works for you that's what matters.
Personally, I try to avoid Chinese products.

really?
John L 

Offline Daleroso

• Gosling
« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2018, 09:57:06 PM »
Realy😃

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
John L 

Offline rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2018, 10:58:14 PM »

The bar plugs don't come out.  As mentioned above, and in many threads on this subject, discard the expanding crap that comes with the mirros and just bolt the mirror to the bar.
Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea
2004 California EV Touring II
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." - Theodore Roosevelt

Offline Darren Williams

• Finally got me a Griso!
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Life is too short to go slow!
« Reply #15 on: December 24, 2018, 09:09:40 AM »
The bar plugs don't come out.  As mentioned above, and in many threads on this subject, discard the expanding crap that comes with the mirros and just bolt the mirror to the bar.

I did the same on the Breva 750. They were very secure when done that way.
The best part of riding a motorcycle is to tilt the horizon and to lift the front coming out of a corner and to drift the back end powering thru loose dirt and to catch a little air topping a hill and... yeah it's all good!

Offline malik

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #16 on: December 24, 2018, 12:54:39 PM »
Dropping CRGs? Likely the ball has worn. All parts for CRGs are available - check with bevelheaven.com.
2010 V7 Classic, 2014 V7 Special
1996 1100 Sport Carb (in NZ), 2004 V11 LeMans (in UK)
Carberry Enfield V-Twin, 2008 Royal Enfield Electra, 2006 RE Electra 535

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #17 on: December 24, 2018, 02:34:19 PM »
Dropping CRGs? Likely the ball has worn. All parts for CRGs are available - check with bevelheaven.com.

thanks  :thumb:
John L 

Offline Daleroso

• Gosling
« Reply #18 on: December 24, 2018, 03:28:21 PM »
The inner bar hardware expands. The outer hardware clamps. There is no spring.

Offline benebob

• New Egg
« Reply #19 on: December 25, 2018, 06:10:14 PM »
Still having an issue understanding what you all are saying.  Have now ordered 3 different mirrors and they all won't work.  I have zero interest in the Lane Spliters as they widen the bike far too much for my garage. Nothing I have ordered comes close to fitting with the weird design guzzi did. 
16 V7 ABS "the wapper"

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #20 on: December 25, 2018, 08:20:41 PM »
Still having an issue understanding what you all are saying.  Have now ordered 3 different mirrors and they all won't work.  I have zero interest in the Lane Spliters as they widen the bike far too much for my garage. Nothing I have ordered comes close to fitting with the weird design guzzi did.

we are saying that you might have to modify the mirror or hardware by cutting, hack sawing, filing or drilling.  Basically, you want to use the existing hardware in the bars and then modifying the mirrors and fasteners to fit. 
John L 

Offline benebob

• New Egg
« Reply #21 on: December 26, 2018, 01:10:49 PM »
we are saying that you might have to modify the mirror or hardware by cutting, hack sawing, filing or drilling.  Basically, you want to use the existing hardware in the bars and then modifying the mirrors and fasteners to fit.

No way to do it on any of the mirrors I have gotten save drilling out the stupid set up (then making the stock bar ends not so easy to reinstall) or buying a new bar and swapping things over to it.  Pita to me for something I just wanted to try out for a bi and see if I can live with it.
16 V7 ABS "the wapper"

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #22 on: December 26, 2018, 01:24:23 PM »
No way to do it on any of the mirrors I have gotten save drilling out the stupid set up (then making the stock bar ends not so easy to reinstall) or buying a new bar and swapping things over to it.  Pita to me for something I just wanted to try out for a bi and see if I can live with it.

I can't envision your situation.  I am not  proposing reusing the old bar-ends, I am suggesting that you modify the mirrors, bolts or fasteners to fit the hardware that's already stuck in the bars.  In the past, I have hacksawed the mounting points on the mirrors and used different sized mounting bolts and snug them up with inserts.   I haven't drilled out new mirrors to put in larger bolts but can imagine doing it.

Also, as I stated earlier, I've not had the best luck with lane splitter mirrors holding up over time.  It's seems after you fold them back and forth over 15k miles or so that they don't hold adjustment.   Someone pointed out that you can purchase new hardware to repair them and that runs about $20.   I have had good luck with the fixed aluminum bar end mirrors I purchased and posted a link for.   And yes, I had to modify the fasteners for those because the old expandable Lane Splitter inserts were stuck in the bars.

BTW, I have a box of mirrors & fasteners that I have collected over time.  So I've mixed and matched a lot.

Finally, once you have bar end mirrors mounted, I'd recommend that you keep the right size allen wrench in the tank bag in case they come loose.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2018, 01:31:04 PM by LowRyter »
John L 

Offline Darren Williams

• Finally got me a Griso!
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Life is too short to go slow!
« Reply #23 on: December 26, 2018, 08:30:31 PM »
I had to stack washers to make spacers.

You might need to put on a white dress shirt and narrow dark tie. Then find a pocket protector and put in a technical pencil and a tire gage. That should do it, cause being an "Enginerd" help make these things work. :evil:
« Last Edit: December 26, 2018, 08:38:59 PM by Darren Williams »
The best part of riding a motorcycle is to tilt the horizon and to lift the front coming out of a corner and to drift the back end powering thru loose dirt and to catch a little air topping a hill and... yeah it's all good!

Offline Daleroso

• Gosling
« Reply #24 on: December 26, 2018, 10:21:11 PM »
Oh benebob, by now I'm really feeling for you. Again, I might have missed it. What bike are you attempting this mod on & what width do you have available in your garage? So many options here. If you'd care to talk to someone with a simple, 30-45 minute solution that works . Feel free to PM me, I'll offer my phone # or I'll call you. If not, I wish you well.

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here