Author Topic: Heated gloves?  (Read 3423 times)

pete roper

Heated gloves?
« on: March 03, 2017, 03:16:45 PM »
My Gerbings heated gloves are getting a bit long in the tooth. What's the current 'Hot Ticket' for heated winter gloves? With my rapidly deteriorating hands having them warm next winter won't just be a comfort issue but may be a safety one too if they get to the stage where they seize up in the cold!

It's been quite warm in NZ while I've been here, no riding but still my thumbs and forefingers are really giving me gyp!

Pete

Offline Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
Re: Heated gloves?
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2017, 03:32:40 PM »
Ha ha, I'm sorta curious as to hear the answer even though my 20+ year old Widders are still working, but I feel like there must be something better by now. 😁
Current Fleet

18 Guzzi V7III Carbon Dark
13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline Arizona Wayne

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2017, 05:12:24 PM »
Hippo hands work if you can remember where all the controls are on your grips.  Also heated grips if your gloves aren't too  thick to block the heat to your hands.  It helps to have hand guards.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2017, 05:39:38 PM by Arizona Wayne »

Offline Gliderjohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2017, 05:17:52 PM »
The only problem I find with heated grips only is that they are like a fireplace. Better than nothing but in really cold weather only warm the inside of your hands. In cool weather though they are a lot of help.
GliderJohn
John Peters
East Mountains, NM

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2017, 05:17:52 PM »

Offline nick949

• All you have to do is decide what to do with the time that's given to you.
  • Gaggle Hero
    • Nick Adams Writing
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2017, 05:23:52 PM »
Pete must be having us on.  :evil:

I just did a tour of weather reports for major cities in Oz and couldn't find anywhere below 18c.  :weiner:

Nick

Offline Markcarovilli

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2017, 05:41:23 PM »
Pete

I like Powerlet - http://wildguzzi.com/forum/index.php?topic=88165.0

The glove liners are thin and work well in your existing gloves plus get hotter then you need but are nicely adjustable.

Heated grips are good for heating grips and when you don't have anything else.....

Mark

Offline Sasquatch Jim

• Gaggle Hero
  • Sidecar - Best drive by shooting vehicle ever
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2017, 06:57:34 PM »
 Just rest your hands on warm jugs now and then.
Sasquatch Jim        Humanoid, sort of.

Offline fatbob

• Gosling
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2017, 07:12:46 PM »
I had a pair of Gerbing gloves quit on me after 10 years. I bought a new pair a year ago, love em!  Got bigger gauntlets this time.
Bob Lower

'07 Norge
'01 K1200LT
'10 Thunderbird
'88 FLHS
'79 R100T
'03 R1150RT
'07 GTS 250

pete roper

« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2017, 07:22:30 PM »
Pete must be having us on.  :evil:

I just did a tour of weather reports for major cities in Oz and couldn't find anywhere below 18c.  :weiner:

Nick

Not for now! :rolleyes: Try looking at temperatures at 8.00AM in Canberra in July and August then come back and tell me I don't need them! Bungendore is on average 2 degrees colder than Canberra. We know when to it gets down to minus eight because that's when our pipes freeze!

Pete

Offline leafman60

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2017, 07:35:53 PM »
dSbA&vxp=mtr" class="bbc_link" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer">http://www.ebay.com/itm/12v-Heated-Leather-Motorcycle-Gloves-Warm-Safe-First-Gear-Classic-Rider-/381810101380?var=&hash=item58e5a7cc84:m:mdX7WTo74Pg3qZVlBde dSbA&vxp=mtr

I bought these a few months ago and I have been satisfied.  I wanted leather with a breathable liner.

These are made by Warm n Safe and they manufacture gloves and electric liners for several other brands.  (They used to make the carbon Powerlet liners.)

I found these gloves on Ebay from Lockitt in good ole North Carolina.  I've dealt with them in the past.  Very good people.  Honest, helpful and polite.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2017, 08:44:16 PM by leafman60 »

Offline charlie b

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2017, 08:47:45 PM »
From what I understand the folks that used to design/make Gerbings are now Warm n Safe.  There is a story somewhere on the split. 
1984 850 T5 (sold)
2009 Dodge Cummins 2500

Offline Dilliw

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2017, 08:51:11 PM »
I bought the Gyde by Gerbings that are on closeout at various spots including Revzilla:

https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/gyde-by-gerbing-12v-vanguard-gloves#reviews_tab

I'm on my third pair so I can't recommend them, but if you don't mind returning eventually you get a decent pair of gloves.  The mfg. quality is very suspect  so you have to really inspect them before you pull the tags, but once you get a decent pair then they heat well and are comfortable.  My understanding is that they are not waterproof in the least but I had them out in a light rain and they were fine.  I'm sure I'd be happier with the Warm and Safes that Leafman linked for the same price though. 
George Westbury
Austin, TX
2003 EVT "The Tank"
2011 Griso SE

L-824 and L-825

Offline jacksonracingcomau

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2017, 08:51:46 PM »
Trick would be to have metal connection tabs on palm (rubber insulated) and forefinger with live +ve tap on grips, circuit made by forefinger on clutch and brake, no wires to plug in,   or has someone already done it ?

Offline fotoguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
  • vee git tooh soon oldt und too late wise -my Dad
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2017, 09:17:50 PM »
Trick would be to have metal connection tabs on palm (rubber insulated) and forefinger with live +ve tap on grips, circuit made by forefinger on clutch and brake, no wires to plug in,   or has someone already done it ?
That is a great idea.. seek a patent now..
MINNEAPOLIS, MN

Offline RANDM

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2017, 09:39:44 PM »

I'm surprised Martin - would have thought that a pretty Hi Tech solution for you to come up with!  :wink:

Maurie.

Offline jacksonracingcomau

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2017, 10:04:34 PM »
I'm surprised Martin - would have thought that a pretty Hi Tech solution for you to come up with!  :wink:

Maurie.

I thought of it in 70's in London winter. despatch riding, off the bike every 20mins or so, wires on my heated gloves a major hassle .have heard of ones with rechargeable battery in each glove but my idea better. Thought about making them once but patent too expensive I think, I'd get copied by the big boys PDQ so now I've put it on net for free, weight off my shoulders, someone will do it & I can smile.

No-one's going to copy my current project, proper hard work making forever leather saddlebags, only on here cos it's kin hot working today-- but perfect for oiling and waxing the finished ones !!
They're a mix of old and new tech too, so's my bike, what's surprising ?

pete roper

« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2017, 10:07:50 PM »

Some years ago there were some which had contacts in the palms and grips with *Circular* electrodes in them so the idea has been tried but I know nothing about them.

Offline malik

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2017, 12:04:54 AM »
Pete, as alternative to Gerbring & Powerlet, zarkie.com.au out of Melbourne have a full range of heated stuff. They were good people to deal with.

Mal
2010 V7 Classic, 2014 V7 Special
1996 1100 Sport Carb (in NZ), 2004 V11 LeMans (in UK)
Carberry Enfield V-Twin, 2008 Royal Enfield Electra, 2006 RE Electra 535

Offline RANDM

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2017, 07:42:46 AM »
Nothing really, just stirring.  :cheesy:

Offline charlie b

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #19 on: March 04, 2017, 08:31:53 AM »
One reason I liked heated gloves vs grips is because I rarely had a full grip on the bars.  Usually one or two fingers on the clutch and brake and just rest the palm on the grips.

The battery thing is good, especially for doing errands around town.  But, on high, the batteries don't last long, eg, 30min or so.  If you do get battery ones, get the ones that can also run off vehicle power (12V not 7V).
1984 850 T5 (sold)
2009 Dodge Cummins 2500

Offline Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #20 on: March 04, 2017, 08:54:24 AM »
Just rest your hands on warm jugs now and then.
Or the bike's cylinders!

Offline sturgeon

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #21 on: March 04, 2017, 09:56:12 AM »
I've been using Powerlet glove liners for the past several years, Widder gloves before that. The Powerlets will keep my hands warm well below temps that the rest of me can't comfortably handle. And I live and ride where it actually gets cold. If the roads are dry and relatively free of snow, I'm good down to about -10C. That's in conjunction with a Powerlet jacket liner, handguards, and heated grips. Most of my riding pals use some form of "hippo hands". I don't, only because I don't like the feel of having my hands trapped inside them, but they're very effective.
Dyslexics Untie!

11 Yamaha WR250R
14 Moto Guzzi V7S
16 BMW R1200R

Offline leafman60

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #22 on: March 04, 2017, 11:06:24 AM »
I've been using Powerlet glove liners for the past several years, Widder gloves before that. The Powerlets will keep my hands warm well below temps that the rest of me can't comfortably handle. And I live and ride where it actually gets cold. If the roads are dry and relatively free of snow, I'm good down to about -10C. That's in conjunction with a Powerlet jacket liner, handguards, and heated grips. Most of my riding pals use some form of "hippo hands". I don't, only because I don't like the feel of having my hands trapped inside them, but they're very effective.

I also have a pair of the thin Powerlet glove liners and I used to recommend them.  I am not sure they even offer them now. They do work but sometimes I get a hot spot between the fingers.

The advantage of the liners is that you carry them and can use them beneath normal gloves when cold weather hits. Gerbing had liners too but they were too thick to fit nicely underneath regular gloves. 

I have since gone back to regular heated gloves like the Warm N Safe pair I linked earlier. They feel great and work very well.

The Warm N Safe sites has a lot of info.  I've talked to the guy who owns the company several times over the years. He is really into this stuff.

http://www.warmnsafe.com/

Offline Bravo Sierra

• New Egg
« Reply #23 on: March 04, 2017, 11:37:52 AM »
I’m with leafman, I have been using a pair of the “warm N safe” classic gloves and jacket liner with a heat-troller for 10 years or so now and still have no complaints. Well the jacket liner seems to have shrunk some  :shocked:.  I find that the jacket liner is an important part by keeping heat loss to the hands to a minimum. Heated grips are good if you are out and get a little chill but are not a good solution for cold weather riding IMHO.

Bob

Offline Clancy

• Gosling
« Reply #24 on: March 05, 2017, 04:05:23 PM »
Hey Pete,
Don't know if these are the the "hot ticket" your after but....
I got a pair of these EXO2 gloves for Xmas.
They use some new fang-dangled polymer technology (they call FabRoc) instead of wires.
Haven't used them in anger yet, just tested that they work.
The gloves http://www.exo2theheatinside.com/markets/powersports/stormshield-gloves.html
The FabRoc http://exo2.co.uk/index.php?route=information/information&information_id=10

I got them on Ebay from an Aussie distributer.
I'd be happy to swing out your way and let you have a look at them.
The wiring is all set up on the V7 so you can plug them in & test them out.
Cheers
Craig

2012 GRiSO (Factory rollered, Beetle mapped)

Offline Zoom Zoom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #25 on: March 05, 2017, 04:24:42 PM »
Pete

I like Powerlet - http://wildguzzi.com/forum/index.php?topic=88165.0

The glove liners are thin and work well in your existing gloves plus get hotter then you need but are nicely adjustable.

Heated grips are good for heating grips and when you don't have anything else.....

Mark

I too have been using the Powerlet heated liner for a few years now. They do a good job and let you choose any glove you want over them. That gives me a little more flexibility with the outer gloves.

John Henry

Offline Madtownguzzi

• Gosling
« Reply #26 on: March 05, 2017, 05:07:54 PM »
Pete this was posted today on California Heat Gauntlet Heated Gloves Review. You might have already seen it but here is the link to it.

http://wildguzzi.com/forum/index.php?topic=88863.0
Randy S.
98 V11 EV
05 HD Electra Glide Classic
Madison, WI

Offline szasz

• Hatchling
    • Fukuoka Now
« Reply #27 on: March 05, 2017, 05:27:31 PM »
I highly recommend these: Heated VR-Pro Motorcycle Gloves
https://firedupx.com/collections/frontpage/products/heated-vr-pro-motorcycle-gloves
� battery powered - last quite long - at least 3-4 hours, then I swap in another set in seconds.
� they use film and not wires to heat - so not bulky and feel like regular gloves

Nick
« Last Edit: March 05, 2017, 05:28:20 PM by szasz »
2015 Guzzi V7II Stone
2009 Griso 8v (sold)
2012 Honda CT110 (Hunter Cub)
1973 Honda Monkey 50cc

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here