Author Topic: guzzi v7, mod 2013: can i just use a k+n breather filter instead of all the hose  (Read 5149 times)

harryzet

dear all
i plan to remove all the hoses from the oil breather to the airbox and back and want to use - like on my old bmw r80 - just a small k+n breather filter. is that possible with no side effects to the motor?

regards
harald
« Last Edit: June 26, 2015, 04:00:41 AM by harryzet »

Vasco DG

harryzet

and why?

Vasco DG

How are you going to collect the condensate and return it to the sump?

Wildguzzi.com

Offline sib

• Gaggle Hero
  • Location: Smallest state, 221 times smaller than Texas, often compared to the size of an oil slick, forest fire, or ice sheet
Can I run my bike without a front wheel?

Sure, just do a constant wheelie, no problem.
Current: 2021 V7 Stone E5
Previous: 2016 V7II Stone
Previous: 2013 V7 Stone
Several decades ago: 1962? Honda CB77 Super Hawk

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
There is a *lot* of oil flying around in the small block breather system. I understand it's because of the pumping action from the horizontally split crankcase. The small block valve covers (except the Lario)  :rolleyes: have tits cast into them that the oil condenses on and drips on the valves. At any rate, it's collected in the breather box and returned to the sump. I had one of the lines from the head to the box come loose, and a fine mess it made, let me tell you..didn't take very long, either.
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline JoeW

• Gaggle Hero
    • The Guzzi Doctor
It's funny this comes up now. I'm putting the finishing touches on a V7 Racer. One of the things the client wanted was to remove the side panels and install a K&N filter. I addressed the crankcase vent issue like this...

I purchased this catch can on ebay, it came with a stand pipe type sight glass and is meant to be drained periodically. I didn't want this for a street bike so, I changed a few things. I put a Y in the hoses from the valve covers and attached it to the top of the tank. I plugged the other top fitting that is meant to be the vent. I removed the sight glass hose and flipped it up with a 2ft coil of clear tubing. then the bottom of the sight glass I attached to the drain back hose to the crankcase. I'm about to take it for a ride, I'll let you know if it works.
Joe Walano

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
So the 2 foot clear tubing is the overboard vent? Seems reasonable.
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline Steph

• Gaggle Hero
  • Cali Stone/ LM3
How is sticking on two oiled air filter pods going to beat the factory's  testing facilities & computers?

I always wondered on how the airflow of the filters must vary depending on how "wet" or "dry" the K&N filters are.

edit: I didn't find them great on my LM1000 as it rains a lot here and the bike sat outside at night..

« Last Edit: June 26, 2015, 12:39:58 PM by Steph »

Offline JoeW

• Gaggle Hero
    • The Guzzi Doctor
So the 2 foot clear tubing is the overboard vent? Seems reasonable.
I hope so, just did a 5 mile shake down run and vapor is showing in the first inch or so. I expected that. I don't want to hijack this tread so, I'm going to start a new one outlining what I did.
Joe Walano

Offline kevdog3019

• Gaggle Hero
Joe, two things:
1. That IS a vent hose I'm seeing at the top or is that inlet from the V covers?  I do hope it's vented. 
2. The drain hose to sump is running up hill.  Should it maybe be turned around to flow out of the catch can?  I'm not saying it won't drain, but you will have a good amount in there before it does.
'86 V65 "Super" Lario
'85 Honda Nighthawk 700s
'86 V65 Lario

Offline JoeW

• Gaggle Hero
    • The Guzzi Doctor
Joe, two things:
1. That IS a vent hose I'm seeing at the top or is that inlet from the V covers?  I do hope it's vented.
The top hose is from the two valve cover vents and the clear line is the vent. 
2. The drain hose to sump is running up hill.  Should it maybe be turned around to flow out of the catch can?  I'm not saying it won't drain, but you will have a good amount in there before it does.
This is an experiment, it'll probably collect a little oil in the bottle but, it should drain back once it reaches the height of the hose, as long as it doesn't spew oil all over, I'll be happy!
Joe Walano

Online rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
If I'm understanding the OP, he's not messing with the actual breather.  He's just disconnecting the hoses that feed fresh air from the air cleaner box and attaching them to filter pods instead.  He wants to know if there's any reason (besides passively filtering the inbound air) for the hoses to connect to the airbox and not to some other filter source.  If I'm reading it right the question could also be "can I pull the breather hoses from the airbox and let them dangle?"

I don't have an answer.  I'm just trying to be sure the right question is being discussed.

Offline JoeW

• Gaggle Hero
    • The Guzzi Doctor
If I'm understanding the OP, he's not messing with the actual breather.  He's just disconnecting the hoses that feed fresh air from the air cleaner box and attaching them to filter pods instead.  He wants to know if there's any reason (besides passively filtering the inbound air) for the hoses to connect to the airbox and not to some other filter source.  If I'm reading it right the question could also be "can I pull the breather hoses from the airbox and let them dangle?"

I don't have an answer.  I'm just trying to be sure the right question is being discussed.
Like Chuck said, "no". The Racer I'm working on has less than 400 miles on it and there was oil in the filter housing already. He can let them dangle but, he'll have a lot of regular cleaning to do. The stock filter box has 4 hoses connected to it, one from each valve cover and the other two lead a fitting on the back of the crankcase. There is a check valve in that line just below the starter. I ran the bike with the hosed off. There is pressure at the valve cover hoses but not at the crankcase hose. That's why I plumbed the catch can like I did.
Joe Walano

Offline kevdog3019

• Gaggle Hero
I don't see why it wouldn't work. The early sb's have a small condenser box that the vc  hoses attach. From there it condenses and runs to the bottom where it is picked up by the hose to return to the sump. At the top of the condenser box is a hose that leads to the air box. This is the vent hose and there is nary a drop of oil that comes from this.
Looks like you covered your bases.
'86 V65 "Super" Lario
'85 Honda Nighthawk 700s
'86 V65 Lario

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here