Author Topic: CARC leak  (Read 3215 times)

Bobolink

CARC leak
« on: June 25, 2015, 09:22:40 PM »
The top boot on the final drive, that leaked since new, was recently replaced under warranty.  But now it appears that it is weeping gear oil from where the two halves bolt together, between the first and second bolt below the top boot.  It's way above the oil level, and the rest of the final drive is dry. 
Anyone else experience this?  Just a careless assembly?

Thanks
Rob

canuguzzi

Re: CARC leak
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2015, 10:24:04 PM »
What bike, when last repaired and how?

Bobolink

« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2015, 11:41:29 PM »
2013 norge was repaired this last winter.  Dealer said it was a new boot, and they used silicon sealer On the inner part.  The boot is dry,  it appears to be weeping between the mated surfaces below the boot.  It's not much,  just wondering if anyone else has dealt with this.

How did the gel seat work for you?
I just rode 6 hours using an Airhawk R, it made a huge difference for me.

Vasco DG

« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2015, 05:34:43 AM »
Pic? Preferably with the wheel off.

Pete

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2015, 05:34:43 AM »

Offline Yeti

• New Egg
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2015, 06:43:19 AM »
Not sure if this applies to the modern bikes but check your gearbox breather isn't blocked.

Bobolink

« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2015, 08:30:05 AM »
I don't know how to post pics on here.  The oil accumulates adjacent to or lateral of the brake flange along the seam where the two halves mate/bolt together.  I don't see any evidence of oil from the lower seals.
Thanks Yeti, I will check the breather.

Offline Bisbonian

• Gaggle Hero
  • Living the Dream
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2015, 09:38:03 AM »
I've had a bit of gunk at the seam since new.

I looked at Pete's instructions on splitting the CARC and decided a little bit of misting is okay.

« Last Edit: June 26, 2015, 11:34:25 AM by Bisbonian »

canuguzzi

« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2015, 01:16:11 PM »
2013 norge was repaired this last winter.  Dealer said it was a new boot, and they used silicon sealer On the inner part.  The boot is dry,  it appears to be weeping between the mated surfaces below the boot.  It's not much,  just wondering if anyone else has dealt with this.

How did the gel seat work for you?
I just rode 6 hours using an Airhawk R, it made a huge difference for me.

I rode the gel seat for over a 1300 miles in 3 days. No numb butt just a little shifting around at the end of the final day.

I get a slight film on the location you're describing but that is so slight I can wipe it clean with a rag and there is just as much road grime on the front of the bike so it's nothing I'm concerned about. There is no visible oil, it is more like road grime that sticks to the casting, you can see through it to metal.

This is what I get after about a week and more than 2500 miles of riding.

I'm not going to worry about that. After the repair for my leak, no more splatters on the rear wheel.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2015, 01:20:15 PM by Norge Pilot »

Bobolink

« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2015, 10:28:17 PM »
Yep, that's it.  Thanks for the photos guys.

Offline jknight611

• Gentlemens cranks go fore and aft
  • New Egg
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2015, 06:27:45 AM »
This is totally unrelated to the leak (seep) you have but my Stelvio seemed to have a sheen of oil on the hind wheel.  I checked the much discussed vent, sure nuf it wasn't venting.  2 minutes in a HF ultra sonic cleaner venting again, no sheening on wheel.  I made a vent line from a cast off front brake hose, banjo bolt and seals purchased from a local auto parts place.  Ran the hose up under the body work after cutting  the unused end off.  Cheap and effective!
1995 Sport 1100
2007 GL1800
2006 Ural Tourist
2010 KLR650
2013 Stelvio

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here