Author Topic: Customizing my v7 stone...seems like it never ends!  (Read 21599 times)

Offline cruzziguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
Re: Customizing my v7 stone...seems like it never ends!
« Reply #30 on: June 01, 2014, 11:27:36 PM »
Hey everyone,
I hope you are enjoying some good weather and rides wherever you may be!
Over the last year, I have slowly started to customize my baby (v7 stone) and it's a good thing! Yes it may get expensive (I am doing it slowly), but I have to say it is a thrill to see how the bike it turning out!

So far, this is what I have done:

Lafranconi Competazione exhaust,
V7 Racer rear sets,
CRG arrow lane splitter mirrors,
Rizoma black handlebar,
Front and rear clear turn signal lenses with amber bulbs,
Moto Guzzi rubber tank pads,
Stucchi rear rack (black),
"Breva Model" windscreen,
Removed the amber reflectors on the front forks,
Left side original mirror thread was left in upright position so I can thread a RAM MOUNT ball adaptor for GPS,
Chrome generator cover,
"Adaptor" line for my battery tender and USB to charge small electronics (mainly my iphone)

I plan on doing a couple of more small mods...just need to save up for them!

Here's my attempt to post a link to some pics on photo bucket...if the link doesn't work, I apologize in advance...I'll try to sort that out!

Hope you like it and please post some pics of your mods!

Cheers and safe riding,

Chris

I guess your bank account is fortunate that a "Screamin' Eagle" catalog doesn't exist for Guzzis.

I say, get all that stuff that you can afford while you can, whether you use it or not. Once the line is dropped or significantly revamped, the gotta-haves will fade quickly away. My own most recent experience with this is that most manufacturers for exhausts for pre-rubber-mounted Sportsters have dropped the 03 and earlier bikes products and new products already don't get developed for them.

I wish that I had gone catalog-fag for my Spot. So many of the various bags, racks, pillion eliminators and the like disappeared overnight. I'm glad I got the Borla exhaust but for the other stuff, I'm SOL.

Even were you to not end up using them, someone like me will always be looking for them later, and at a premium at that.
Todd
07 Calvin            77 TT500
95 Sport 1100      04 Breva 750
82 Katana           79 GS850G
72 "Crud"dorado
03 Barely Davidson 883 Huggy
Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top.

Offline Mgv7rider

• Gosling
« Reply #31 on: June 02, 2014, 06:30:17 AM »
I guess your bank account is fortunate that a "Screamin' Eagle" catalog doesn't exist for Guzzis.

Even were you to not end up using them, someone like me will always be looking for them later, and at a premium at that.

Points well taken Cruzziguzzi...never thought that at some point the original parts may be "difficult" to get and someone may pay a premium for them. Thanks again!

Chris
Current rides:
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Stone (matte black)
1980 Vespa P200e

Past rides:
2004 Yamaha YZF 600R (sold)
1996 Yamaha vStar 650 (sold)

Offline sib

• Gaggle Hero
  • Location: Smallest state, 221 times smaller than Texas, often compared to the size of an oil slick, forest fire, or ice sheet
« Reply #32 on: June 02, 2014, 08:37:47 AM »
This thread reminds me of some women who choose mates because "He's everything I've ever wanted to change in a man".  Personally, I pretty much like my V7 Stone the way it came from the factory.  I did add an OEM crash bar because I'm a klutz, and an OEM gel saddle because I didn't like sitting on the stocker's "strap", but I think the suspension's fine, the fuel map is fine, the low fuel warning light is fine, the alternator cover is fine, etc., etc.
Current: 2021 V7 Stone E5
Previous: 2016 V7II Stone
Previous: 2013 V7 Stone
Several decades ago: 1962? Honda CB77 Super Hawk

Rick T.

« Reply #33 on: June 02, 2014, 11:46:36 AM »
Interested in details on your Rizoma handlebar.  What model is it?  How does it compare to stock in terms of real-world differences?

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #33 on: June 02, 2014, 11:46:36 AM »

Offline Mgv7rider

• Gosling
« Reply #34 on: June 02, 2014, 02:22:14 PM »
Interested in details on your Rizoma handlebar.  What model is it?  How does it compare to stock in terms of real-world differences?

Hey Rick,
Model number is MA 001B from rizoma. I did not instal myself so I can't help with any of those questions. As for the functionality...the y are similar to stock yet have a slight taper inwards...to me they are a bit more comfortable, however I really bought them because they were black and they were quite similar to the stock ones (I didn't want to take away from the look of the original too much. I hope that helps.

Cheers,

Chris
Current rides:
1980 Vespa P200e

Past rides:

Offline roadscum

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #35 on: June 02, 2014, 02:27:29 PM »
Mr Fugazzi.....

Nicely done sir!

Can you post some pictures of the Tarozzi clip ons.... Thx.

Paul
"The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing " - Socrates

Paul M. in SW Florida: 318 miles, 11 curves and not a Guzzi dealer in sight!

Rick T.

« Reply #36 on: June 02, 2014, 03:00:55 PM »
Hey Rick,
Model number is MA 001B from rizoma. I did not instal myself so I can't help with any of those questions. As for the functionality...the y are similar to stock yet have a slight taper inwards...to me they are a bit more comfortable, however I really bought them because they were black and they were quite similar to the stock ones (I didn't want to take away from the look of the original too much. I hope that helps.

Cheers,

Chris

Chris,
Thanks for the quick response.  I immediately placed my order for the MA001B (thru Motovation).  Like you, I'm opting for these bars primarily because of aesthetics, but didn't want to drastically alter ergos from stock.  Looks like the MA001B is exactly what I need.  Thanks for the feedback!  I'll post up seperately once my bike is fully completed...

Rick

Offline Mgv7rider

• Gosling
« Reply #37 on: June 02, 2014, 03:15:35 PM »
Sounds good Rick...I am sure that you will like these bars. Keep us posted.
Cheers,

Chris
Current rides:
1980 Vespa P200e

Past rides:

sonicboom

« Reply #38 on: June 02, 2014, 07:46:14 PM »
Those bars remind me of the old R90S bars we all liked so much in the 70's. Almost the exact bend and rise. Although I can't remember how wide those bars were but I think they were somewhat narrow. Those on your bike look wider to me. That will give you a lighter feel pushing into turns.

Joe G

« Reply #39 on: June 02, 2014, 08:43:18 PM »
Sounds good Rick...I am sure that you will like these bars. Keep us posted.
Cheers,

Chris

Other than being black, what is the difference with the new bars?  How are the ends made? I didn't care for the way my stock chrome bars were made. Had to drill those pesky plugs out after I bought the wrong style bar end mirrors.  

I keep thinking you could have painted the old bars black. 

Joe G
« Last Edit: June 02, 2014, 08:45:23 PM by Joe G »

Rick T.

« Reply #40 on: June 02, 2014, 09:04:11 PM »
Other than being black, what is the difference with the new bars?  How are the ends made? I didn't care for the way my stock chrome bars were made. Had to drill those pesky plugs out after I bought the wrong style bar end mirrors.  

I keep thinking you could have painted the old bars black. 

Joe G

The Rizomas are aluminum (vs steel) & have open/hollow end allowing more options for bar ends/mirrors. I also welcome a bit more sweep for a bit more comfort - we'll see...

Lighter, more barend options, and a little bling for not too much money. Sounds good to me.

Offline kevdog3019

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #41 on: June 02, 2014, 09:49:59 PM »
Here are some pretty cool low and wide blinker mirrors that fit the stock mounts.  They are a very solid and well made mirror that won't show your shoulders.  The blinkers are bright and also show to the side and rear for safety.  Just take your stockers off up front.  Just fit them on my project Guzzi.  bar-ends are just too low for my liking.  I think they would look good on the V7. They are made by Rivko.  

« Last Edit: June 02, 2014, 09:53:11 PM by kevdog3019 »
'86 V65 "Super" Lario
'85 Honda Nighthawk 700s
'86 V65 Lario

Offline Mgv7rider

• Gosling
« Reply #42 on: June 02, 2014, 10:46:01 PM »
Here are some pretty cool low and wide blinker mirrors that fit the stock mounts.  They are a very solid and well made mirror that won't show your shoulders.  The blinkers are bright and also show to the side and rear for safety.  Just take your stockers off up front.  Just fit them on my project Guzzi.  bar-ends are just too low for my liking.  I think they would look good on the V7. They are made by Rivko.  

Sweet looking bike...those mirrors look pretty cool.

Cheers,

Chris
Current rides:
1980 Vespa P200e

Past rides:

Joe G

« Reply #43 on: June 02, 2014, 10:52:46 PM »
Those mirrors will definitely work well on a V7 Stone. 

Aluminium bars make sense too, as long as they're lighter than steel bars. Have several bikes with the light bars myself.  ;)

Joe G

Offline raul

• Gosling
« Reply #44 on: June 03, 2014, 07:34:01 AM »
Is that rear rack sourced from MGCycle?  If so, how much was shipping?  I ordered one yesterday and it said shipping would be added later.  I don't really like surprises, unless it is less than I expect. 

Offline Moto Fugazzi

• Gaggle Hero
  • Waiting on a sign from God, or a nod from hell.
    • Griso
« Reply #45 on: June 03, 2014, 01:20:21 PM »
Mr Fugazzi.....

Nicely done sir!

Can you post some pictures of the Tarozzi clip ons.... Thx.

Paul
Let me know what kind of pics you want. I have the high rise on, and they're set fairly level. If you click on the image, it should take you to my photo bucket pics.
Ken

Ken
2004 V11 Cafe Sport
2009 V7C White
2007 Griso Black-Sold
1978 V50 II Blue-Sold

Offline Mgv7rider

• Gosling
« Reply #46 on: June 03, 2014, 05:34:20 PM »
Is that rear rack sourced from MGCycle?  If so, how much was shipping?  I ordered one yesterday and it said shipping would be added later.  I don't really like surprises, unless it is less than I expect. 

It was from mg cycle and I couldn't tell you the delivery as it was ordered via my dealer...what I can tell you is that here in canada, the shipping would be more plus we have to pay the duties...it was over $100 more than listed :(...I would just call them and ask them approximately what the cost would be.

Cheers,

Chris
Current rides:
1980 Vespa P200e

Past rides:

Offline roadscum

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #47 on: June 03, 2014, 05:55:17 PM »
Thx Ken, just what I wanted.

Paul
"The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing " - Socrates

Paul M. in SW Florida: 318 miles, 11 curves and not a Guzzi dealer in sight!

Offline raul

• Gosling
« Reply #48 on: June 03, 2014, 06:31:29 PM »
It was from mg cycle and I couldn't tell you the delivery as it was ordered via my dealer...what I can tell you is that here in canada, the shipping would be more plus we have to pay the duties...it was over $100 more than listed :(...I would just call them and ask them approximately what the cost would be.

Cheers,

Chris

They dinged my bank account today and it was less than expected.  A good surprise for a change.   ;-T ;-T

Offline Mgv7rider

• Gosling
« Reply #49 on: June 03, 2014, 10:31:14 PM »
They dinged my bank account today and it was less than expected.  A good surprise for a change.   ;-T ;-T

Good to hear! Post some pics when you install it!

Cheers,

Chris
Current rides:
1980 Vespa P200e

Past rides:

Online Yukonica

• Gaggle Hero
    • Borealbreeze Bernese Mountain Dogs
« Reply #50 on: June 03, 2014, 10:46:30 PM »
Thanks Ambogal,

The cover is from:

http://www.af1racing.com/store/scripts/prodView.asp?idProduct=56343

I thought it was a nice touch to break up all of the black in the lower centre of the bike.

Cheers,

Chris
One may write one's destiny but the unknown delivers it.

Online Yukonica

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #51 on: June 03, 2014, 10:52:20 PM »
Thanks Ambogal,

The cover is from:

http://www.af1racing.com/store/scripts/prodView.asp?idProduct=56343

I thought it was a nice touch to break up all of the black in the lower centre of the bike.

Cheers,

Chris

Is that alternator cover 'metal' or just plated plastic? (the vendor doesn't really say). As metal I think it would be a great option. Plated plastic in my region would probably take a terrible punishment from gravel and such.

Online Yukonica

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #52 on: June 03, 2014, 11:16:19 PM »
Hi Sib. Glad you like the bike as it was conceived; except for parts you didn't like.
I think the post is mostly about adding chilli flakes to a pizza. Adjusting personal taste while remaining true to the concept. Minor changes in aesthetics rather than a wholesale custom rebuild. I think the bike looks nice. I think the OP is as proud of his ride as you are of yours. Rightfully so for both of you. Just different approaches.

Offline Mgv7rider

• Gosling
« Reply #53 on: June 04, 2014, 06:56:36 AM »

Is that alternator cover 'metal' or just plated plastic? (the vendor doesn't really say). As metal I think it would be a great option. Plated plastic in my region would probably take a terrible punishment from gravel and such.

Yukonica,
I bought my alternator cover from my local dealer (who got it from Af1 racing)...the one I have is METAL and very well built.  Having said that, give them a call or drop them an email just to make sure before you buy it.

Thanks for the compliments.

Cheers,

Chris
Current rides:
1980 Vespa P200e

Past rides:

Offline Moto Fugazzi

• Gaggle Hero
  • Waiting on a sign from God, or a nod from hell.
    • Griso
« Reply #54 on: February 26, 2015, 12:47:26 PM »
I added some silver pinstripe over the red on the tank and side panel. I think I'll replace it with grey that matches the V7 on the side panel.
Ken

Ken
2004 V11 Cafe Sport
2009 V7C White
2007 Griso Black-Sold
1978 V50 II Blue-Sold

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #55 on: February 26, 2015, 01:12:10 PM »
I added some silver pinstripe over the red on the tank and side panel. I think I'll replace it with grey that matches the V7 on the side panel.
Ken

Looks good...
Current Fleet

18 Guzzi V7III Carbon Dark
13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline Mgv7rider

• Gosling
« Reply #56 on: February 28, 2015, 07:19:03 PM »
I agree with Kev...looks good. The little subtle touches like those stripes add class and character to the bike. Enjoy it!

Cheers,

Chris
Current rides:
1980 Vespa P200e

Past rides:

Offline mgfan

• Gosling
  • Escaping the "home"
« Reply #57 on: February 28, 2015, 08:37:40 PM »
As for hanging onto parts, I've got some brand new pieces from my brand new at the time 1982 Goldwing if anyones looking!   :BEER:
70 Ambassador, 74 Eldorado,  76 I-Convert, 71 Police Ambassador, 86 Califonia II, 90 California III, 03 Stone, 07 Norge

Offline greer

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #58 on: March 01, 2015, 08:40:32 AM »
Nice, nice bikes!  I always enjoy making a bike my own.  I like to buy a bike in the fall and then piddle with it all winter.

Sarah
Sarah '21 V7 Special, '17 XT250, '17 V9 Roamer sold August 2021, '16 V7 II Stone sold September 2021, '08 Nevada Classic sold August 2020 
Doug '21 V85TT, '05 Sportster Roadster, '13 XT250

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
Best quality vinyl available today. Easy application.
Advertise Here