Author Topic: Corrected Infringement Notice ( Now With Photo )  (Read 16603 times)

Offline Waterbottle

• Gaggle Mentor
Corrected Infringement Notice ( Now With Photo )
« on: February 23, 2015, 05:34:19 AM »
 Hi all, Fine Reduced to a sane level, thank the Guzzi Gods !
The story ( From my Tassie Trip ) was that I was keeping up with a mate in Melbourne, and must of had a moment of complete and utter disregard for the law, resulting in my exceeding to posted speed limit of 40 Kph by a rediculously high 7 Kph.  
As I'm interested in saving the country money, instead of having a  company delivery van or something similar , I opted for a delivery motorbike. The taxation dept. doesn't specify that it should be a small bike so .... I figured a Griso must get the job done more efficiently ?   All Griso riders will know that the difference between 40 and 47 kph in 2nd gear is a Poof-teenth of a throttle twist. I Honestly had No idea I had broken the sound barrier .
So here is the deal,       A company owned and registered Vehicle ( of any sort ) breaking any road rules in Victoria Australia , Will be Fined a minimum of $2900 ( A law was passed through their government in July 2014) ifyou nominate a driver, the fine " May " be reduced at their discretion . Company fine..........

Corrected Fine for the Responsible person ?

Riding in Victoria... Be Careful  :o    
« Last Edit: February 25, 2015, 01:05:33 AM by Waterbottle »
2015 Griso SE Rosso
2012 Stelvio 8V
2009 Griso R  Track only
76 GT 750 Suzuki
If you Ride a Griso, You need Tyres with Gription

Offline Nic in Western NYS

• Gaggle Hero
Re: Corrected Infringement Notice
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2015, 08:31:13 AM »
Goodness.  What does 'nominate a driver' mean?  That the driver pays the fine?
'04 Ducati ST4sABS
Fondly remembered Geese: LeMans V, Sport 1100, Centauro, Breva 1100

Offline Triple Jim

• Gaggle Hero
    • Lakeland Services Company
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2015, 08:54:00 AM »
That sounds terrible, but in thinking about it, maybe it's a way to eliminate the attitude that I've heard many times:  "I drive as fast as I want, because the company pays all my fines."  The company gets hit hard if they pay, so they "nominate" the driver.  The only catch I see is if the company later reimburses the driver under the table.
When the Brussels sprout fails to venture from its lair, it is time to roll a beaver up a grassy slope.

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2015, 08:58:56 AM »
That sounds terrible, but in thinking about it, maybe it's a way to eliminate the attitude that I've heard many times:  "I drive as fast as I want, because the company pays all my fines."  The company gets hit hard if they pay, so they "nominate" the driver.  The only catch I see is if the company later reimburses the driver under the table.

Could be like in Finland, where the fine is a percentage of your Adjusted Gross Income on your Finnish 1040 form (whatever that is).   For a "reckless driving" level fine, the amount is 1% of your AGI, which can amount to $100,000 for a guy making a lot of money.   

Seems like that would slow people down AND help fund all the "free" social services too!

Lannis
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2015, 08:58:56 AM »

Offline Waterbottle

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2015, 01:04:29 PM »
Goodness.  What does 'nominate a driver' mean?  That the driver pays the fine?

Yes . The driver then pays the fine and also loses Demerit points off their Licence.
Only 1 point lost here from a total of 12. It's the first one I've lost since 2009 when I was caught on the Hwy doing 120 in a 100 zone, ( 4 points that time ) all excited about picking up a new Griso  ::)
2015 Griso SE Rosso
2012 Stelvio 8V
2009 Griso R  Track only
76 GT 750 Suzuki

Bill Hagan

« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2015, 01:08:59 PM »
Could be like in Finland, where the fine is a percentage of your Adjusted Gross Income on your Finnish 1040 form (whatever that is).   For a "reckless driving" level fine, the amount is 1% of your AGI, which can amount to $100,000 for a guy making a lot of money.   

Seems like that would slow people down AND help fund all the "free" social services too!

Lannis

Lordy.

Ten million dollars?  Yes, that qualifies as "a guy making a lot of money."  :o

Bill

Offline Guzzistajohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2015, 01:10:45 PM »
Makes me really proud to be an American!
ебать Россию!   Not anti social-pro solitude

Online Gliderjohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2015, 01:47:08 PM »
One of the nice things about riding in Kansas. No speed cameras and in most places if you are alert you will detect the patrol car before they nail you. It has also been my personal experience that they give riders on Guzzis quite a bit of slack. :+=copcar
GliderJohn
John Peters
East Mountains, NM

Offline Sasquatch Jim

• Gaggle Hero
  • Sidecar - Best drive by shooting vehicle ever
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2015, 01:47:39 PM »
  Your revenue enhancement department is industrial strength greedy.
  Someone needs to find a way to yank them up on a short leash.
  Keep your ears open for a chance to bring a mega lawsuit against them.
  Money is the only language they understand.
Sasquatch Jim        Humanoid, sort of.

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2015, 02:01:02 PM »
Lordy.

Ten million dollars?  Yes, that qualifies as "a guy making a lot of money."  :o

Bill

It's happened to some of them.   They DO make the news!!    "Progressive" fine structure in action!

Lannis

Offline twhitaker

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2015, 02:16:15 PM »
Good grief! A 47 in a 40 converted to miles is like 29mph in a 25. The fine here would not be that steep even for 'hitting the crossing guard"
'96 California 1100i 160,000 mi
'97 Centauro yellow 25,000 mi
'02 Champagne V11 LeMans 58,000 mi
MGNOC-11168
Dayton, OH

Offline Seagondollar

• Gaggle Hero
  • Wake Forest, NC
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2015, 02:28:53 PM »
Good grief! A 47 in a 40 converted to miles is like 29mph in a 25. The fine here would not be that steep even for 'hitting the crossing guard"

In NC, they won't even bother to write a ticket until it's 10MPH over (or in a school zone)
2002 BMW 330i
1988 Toyota MR2
1974 V7 Sport
1989 Le Mans 1000 (V) - � morto

Kentktk

« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2015, 02:34:17 PM »
One of the nice things about riding in Kansas. No speed cameras and in most places if you are alert you will detect the patrol car before they nail you. It has also been my personal experience that they give riders on Guzzis quite a bit of slack. :+=copcar
GliderJohn

The only problem with that is "riding in Kansas"

beetle

« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2015, 03:04:46 PM »
It's Victoria. The cops will shoot you for looking at them sideways. You should never go more than 3km/h over the limit down there.

Vasco DG

« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2015, 03:07:35 PM »
I had an Aprilia RSV owning customer who is a NSW highway patrol bloke and he said that they reckon anything under 10kph over is what they call a 'Shit Ticket'. They do give them out in town but if you're on the highway unless you give them a mouthful they'll generally just give you a talking to  ::).

Funny one on Sunday morning. Beetle and I were in my preposterous little Suzuki Jimny driving down to the workshop to do some logging runs on Mark III's Griso with the Mistral Conical pipe. Pottering along well below the posted 50kph limit in town and HP goes the other way. As soon as he's past us he throws a U turn and lights me up!

I'm utterly perplexed! I was being the ultimate 'Captain Sensible'! Anyway he comes to the window and gives me the 'You understand everything you say and do is being filmed and recorded' schpeil, (Damn! And there was I about to give him a punch in the gob and curse him out! ;D) and asks for my license. I'm still horribly confused and then he asks me 'Are you a green 'P' plater?' And it dawns on me.

My daughter only got her licence nearly three years ago. In Oz for the first year after you pass your test you have to display a red plate with a P on it and are restricted to 80kph, in the next two years you have to display a green P plate. I'd forgotten to take them off after Erika had been driving us home from the pub the night before!

It was still a crappy pull, he must of been bored, but he didn't ticket me and was as friendly as these bastards ever are so I just pulled the plates off and chatted for a minute and we were on our way. He had peered in at Beetle in the passenger seat and said 'It looks cosy in there', (The Jimny is a tiny car!) and as we pulled off Beetle pulled his tank bag containing his laptop and gear out from between his legs and waved it at me and asked 'Perhaps I should of asked him if he'd like to see the head I have in my bag?'.

Oh dear! I laughed so hard I almost missed the turn off to the workshop!

Pete

oldbike54

« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2015, 03:25:58 PM »
 One of the Aussies that made the Okie camp out in 2011 related a story about getting pulled over for exceeding the speed limit by some small amount . Seemed odd to someone that is acclimated to the norm here , usually 10 over outside of school zones and really congested areas . Guess every country has its norms .

Dusty

Offline Kent in Upstate NY

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2015, 03:30:10 PM »
Correctional educators don't make the criminals you fear. We make the criminals you fear smarter.

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2015, 03:37:10 PM »
I had an Aprilia RSV owning customer who is a NSW highway patrol bloke .....

Yup.   I have one law-enforcement friend that rides a 1300cc Yamaha sportbike, and another that has a supercharged Corvette .... Seems to be a lot of that going around.   What do you want to bet that they occasionally exceed the speed limit by some fractional amount ... like 150%?   :D

Offline drlapo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2015, 03:43:15 PM »
I received a $75 fine for doing 38 in a 35 zone in Johnston RI, 4 lanes down hill

Offline not-fishing

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2015, 03:48:38 PM »
Wow and now you know why American's will never give up their guns.

It keeps the Government Fines somewhat in control for the common folk.  

Still I must admit the 1% (of gross) rule of Finland has some merit.  and they are the land of the Jokamiesluokka or Folkrace  
Griso 1100
Rosso Corsa Lemans
1/2 a V50 III (with my son)
V65 SP - Finished but the Dyna died so it's non-op'd
'75 850T with sidecar - a new project and adventure

Morizzi

« Reply #20 on: February 24, 2015, 01:33:56 AM »
Whilst I see a percentage of gross income being an effective revenue raiser I don't think it directly targets road safety as it should.

I see road travel like any other risk assessment. Its risk and consequence. The consequences of a multi ton B-double traveling 10kph over the limit is far greater than a small sedan. Its all relative kinetic energy and the potential to do damage.

I think the fine should be proportional to the Gross Vehicle Mass.

Offline Waterbottle

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #21 on: February 24, 2015, 02:04:32 AM »
Whilst I see a percentage of gross income being an effective revenue raiser I don't think it directly targets road safety as it should.

I see road travel like any other risk assessment. Its risk and consequence. The consequences of a multi ton B-double traveling 10kph over the limit is far greater than a small sedan. Its all relative kinetic energy and the potential to do damage.

I think the fine should be proportional to the Gross Vehicle Mass.

Good on you Yak Fat  ;-T , I don't like my chances of that happening here, but it would make it easier on us motorcyclists. So a griso is around 1/6 the weight of the average sedan ? ........ 1/6 the fine sounds good to me   :D
2015 Griso SE Rosso
2012 Stelvio 8V
2009 Griso R  Track only
76 GT 750 Suzuki

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #22 on: February 24, 2015, 09:09:52 AM »
Good on you Yak Fat  ;-T , I don't like my chances of that happening here, but it would make it easier on us motorcyclists. So a griso is around 1/6 the weight of the average sedan ? ........ 1/6 the fine sounds good to me   :D

Rather than just Vehicle Mass, we should use the Kinetic Energy of the vehicle when the offense occurred (1/2MV-squared).

That way, someone on a Griso going 140 MPH with the potential of cutting a school van full of kids in half would get the same penalty as a car capable of doing the same thing at a lower speed .... ?   That way, we wouldn't penalize truck drivers disproportionately, since the Mass is just multiplied once but the Velocity twice ....

Over 100 MPH is automatic jail time (overnight at a minimum) in Virginia at any rate.

Lots of ways to do it, just gotta be fair.

Lannis 

Offline ken farr

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #23 on: February 24, 2015, 10:13:41 AM »
My,my,my.

According to my internet kms-mph conversion skills, the speed limit was 24.855 mph ( I call it 25 ) and you were clipping along at 29.2 mph.

That is a whopping 4 mph !!!!  That is 7.3 fps.  My goodness, you are a brazen speed demon.

If I had ever written something like that, without any other factors involved, weather-near miss etc., I don't think I would sleep well.

Tell me this was a photo enforcement citation, and not a face to face contact.

kjf
ken farr
06 B1100 - click!
Fillmore, Ca.

Online Gliderjohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #24 on: February 24, 2015, 11:39:52 AM »
Quote from Ken Farr:
If I had ever written something like that, without any other factors involved, weather-near miss etc., I don't think I would sleep well.

Back in the 80s my first wife who was about as sweet and polite as you can get received a ticket for ONE mile over on a one way street in Wichita. I told her to go to court with it but she paid it.
GliderJohn
John Peters
East Mountains, NM

Offline segesta

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #25 on: February 24, 2015, 12:50:21 PM »
It's almost like traffic police are in the business of collecting taxes rather than maintaining public safety, or something.
--
2014 Moto Guzzi California 1400 Custom
2013 Ducati Monster 796
2010 BMW K1300GT

Offline Waterbottle

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #26 on: February 24, 2015, 02:20:05 PM »
My,my,my.

According to my internet kms-mph conversion skills, the speed limit was 24.855 mph ( I call it 25 ) and you were clipping along at 29.2 mph.

That is a whopping 4 mph !!!!  That is 7.3 fps.  My goodness, you are a brazen speed demon.

kjf

It was a camera that got me, no personal touch, so I guess the local police force where out doing some real work.
If I pay an extra few $$$ I can get the photo sent to me, I'm going to have it framed with the original fine to remind me of what a bad person a Griso can turn you into.
I should be stripped naked and beaten with wet celery until I repent,  :D 
I think that the New South Wales and Victorian Government here in Aus use Civilian Contractors now to operate mobile speed cameras , or is this just a rumor ?
At the end of the day, I messed up, It's not a huge fine, no one was hurt, I'll just be more careful in the future.....
Cheers Ron

2015 Griso SE Rosso
2012 Stelvio 8V
2009 Griso R  Track only
76 GT 750 Suzuki

Online Gliderjohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #27 on: February 24, 2015, 02:33:10 PM »
Quote from Waterbottle:
If I pay an extra few $$$ I can get the photo sent to me, I'm going to have it framed with the original fine to remind me of what a bad person a Griso can turn you into.

Back in the 70s I knew a wild and crazy New jersey guy that was going to college in Kansas. He had previously owned a highly modified Honda 750 and had a framed speeding ticket on his wall from Jersey for 164mph! He said that speeding ticket helped him to sell that bike for way more than he would have without it even county his bail, fines and court costs.
GliderJohn
John Peters
East Mountains, NM

beetle

« Reply #28 on: February 24, 2015, 03:09:41 PM »
I think that the New South Wales and Victorian Government here in Aus use Civilian Contractors now to operate mobile speed cameras , or is this just a rumor ?

Nope, it's true. They're frequently lurking around town here.

Bill Hagan

« Reply #29 on: February 24, 2015, 04:29:46 PM »

Hey, stop whining.  Your vicpol has told you: “Cameras Save Lives!”  Believe.

Actually, only one ticket? You were a lucky fellow.

See http://www.camerassavelives.vic.gov.au/home/locations/

Oh, I knew about ‘roos, but had no idea you all had ‘corns, too.  https://www.youtube.com/embed/VluOZbSHSks

OTOH, while researching,” saw this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9N1iw5Vdim8  I like that enforcement.

Bill

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here