Author Topic: Which classic BMW  (Read 21892 times)

Offline neverquit

• Hatchling
Which classic BMW
« on: February 24, 2015, 09:51:10 AM »
Apparently I have developed a thing for motorcycles that have cylinders sticking out the sides.  My small block MG has me wanting more.  I prefer lighter weight bikes and have been looking at older BMWs.  I like the R75 models, especially the toaster tanks.   But I am also interested in the R65s produced in the 1980s.  I have read that the R65 is light and handles well and I like disk brakes, electronic ignition etc.  But the toaster is, in my opinion, a better looking bike.  I am an older rider and would mostly just ride it around town and on short country road jaunts.  Mostly I want one just to have it. The R80 is another bike I am interested in.  Many of you own airheads and I would like to hear your comments regarding R75 vs R65, R80.  Thanks

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
Re: Which classic BMW
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2015, 10:06:29 AM »
Apparently I have developed a thing for motorcycles that have cylinders sticking out the sides.  My small block MG has me wanting more.  I prefer lighter weight bikes and have been looking at older BMWs.  I like the R75 models, especially the toaster tanks.   But I am also interested in the R65s produced in the 1980s.  I have read that the R65 is light and handles well and I like disk brakes, electronic ignition etc.  But the toaster is, in my opinion, a better looking bike.  I am an older rider and would mostly just ride it around town and on short country road jaunts.  Mostly I want one just to have it. The R80 is another bike I am interested in.  Many of you own airheads and I would like to hear your comments regarding R75 vs R65, R80.  Thanks

I can only speak to the R65, having ridden one for several years and 40,000 miles or so.  

Sold my "Wasserbufel" GT-750 and bought the Beemer, new in 1981, at Gio's Cycle Center in Roanoke, VA.

I can tell you this about it:

1) It is built on the same frame as the Europe-only R45 450cc bike, so it is definitely smaller and lighter than the R60, R75, R80 series.    

2) I had no sort of trouble with it of any kind.   I put gas in it, changed the engine oil every 5000 miles (Castrol 20/50), and kept tires on it, and that was all.   No adjustments or other work of any kind.  (The ungrammatical repetitions in those sentences are for emphasis!)

3) You had to rev it a bit to make a hard pass on a back road, but it LIKED to rev.   Smooth as silk throughout its rev range.

4) Suspension and engine-wise, it would pull a 400 pound two-up load just fine, but the seat!! It like to have killed Fay and I on a 400-mile trip once, like sitting on a cloth-covered 2 x 6 plank.

If I found another one in nice condition, I'd buy it, if only to make up for the fact that I sold my R65 and bought a rat '68 Triumph Bonneville with a Joe Hunt magneto.   Why I did that, I'll never know .... !

Lannis
« Last Edit: February 24, 2015, 10:27:02 AM by Lannis »
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

oldbike54

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2015, 10:09:50 AM »
 Nothing wrong with any of those bikes . For your intended use , any would be fun . The /5 toaster models are wonderful , and for most purposes the 500 CC or 600 CC /5s are fine . In fact , many old beemerphiles ,
(pointing the finger at myself) , the smaller displacement models are better , and usually cheaper to purchase .
The later R 65 and R 80 models have better brakes , and electronic ignition . One thing , the R 65 is a unique model , built on a different platform . One thing about beemers , good parts backup , and simple to maintain . Happy hunting.

Dusty

Offline drlapo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2015, 10:29:18 AM »
I bought my R80 in 1985; no problems so far
I can take it anywhere at any time; freeway or secondary roads; all are fine

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2015, 10:29:18 AM »

Offline Sheepdog

• Gaggle Hero
  • 2007 Moto Guzzi California Vintage
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2015, 10:30:59 AM »
Airhead Beemers are great...I love them. My favorite balance of modernity, simple maintenance, performance, and classic vibe can be found in the /6 models from '74-'76. It sported disc brakes (with a goofy under-tank master cylinder), a more secure ignition switch (with an actual key), all metal parts (even the turn signals are aluminum), and a huge aftermarket. They are available in 750 and 900cc varieties (600 too, but only drum brake equipped). I believe this machine was the pinnacle of the Airhead era...
"Change is inevitable. Growth is optional." John C. Maxwell

dilligaf

« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2015, 10:36:49 AM »
This is my 1982 R65LS fitted out with a windshield for a nine week ride to Sitka, AK.  The  ignition has been converted to points.

The R65 was the lightest of my motorcycles and that is why I chose it over my R100GS.

And my SP.

It performed well in all conditions.

And sometimes it didn't do so well.  Easy to repair and no problems with part.  This is some along the Yellow Head Highway.

No problems on the Alaskan Ferries.

Caught some fish.  This is RK.

This is me.

Stopped  raining and getting warm.  Somewhere in Canada.

Still in Canada and still going.

Back in the US and still going.

Good motorcycle.  :BEER:
Matt
« Last Edit: February 24, 2015, 10:40:42 AM by dilligaf »

oldbike54

« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2015, 10:37:43 AM »
 After some further thought , for your intended usage , a toaster R6O sounds like a good fit . All kinds of upgrades available , larger alternators , solid state ignition , and they will potter or run at 80 MPH all day . Light and nimble , simple carbs , rode mine probably 75K miles . Greatest conversation starter ever , always drew a crowd , young and old seemed to appreciate the old thing .

Dusty

Offline Furbo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2015, 10:47:07 AM »
I always had a thing for the R90/6.

Dunno why - a bud had one back in the 80's and it just looked..'right'.
Killeen, TX
'96 Sport 1100
'72 N. Falcone
'72 Eldo

Eccl 9:9,10

Offline dee g

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2015, 10:53:45 AM »
We have three airheads.  71 R75/5 (short wheel base), 78 R90 with a hack and a 78 R45/N.

Probably going to sell the hack, it was a fun idea, but neither of us have the time to get our three wheel endorsement.

We are the second owners of the R75. The guy we bought it from used to own the BMW dealer in Merced, CA.  He had health issues and can no longer ride, so we bought 'Max' from him, as well as 'Luigi': my 98 Cali EV.

My R45 is wonderful bike.  Very few of them here in the states, so its extra special.  It handles the highways just fine. The longest trip I've taken it on was to the BMW National in Redmond, OR back in 2010.  Its been burning oil lately, and the compression and leak down test didn't look very good, so I pulled the heads off and had a valve job done.  Now I'm just waiting on rings and such. No one here in the states stocks R45 specific parts, so.......  can't wait to get it put back together again.

Hard to compare the 75 to the 45.  The SWB makes the 75 handle a bit different than the 45, but that thing will get up and move if you ask it.  It feels heavier as well.   I prefer the 45. Mainly because I use it as you want to use the 65.  Local rides and puttering around. However, I have no doubt that if I wanted, it would take me any distance I wanted to go.

Offline jackson

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2015, 10:54:53 AM »
I have owned a lot of airheads over the past 45 years and IMHO, any of the three that you are thinking about purchasing would bring a lot of enjoyment and good, drama-free riding.  My personal choice would be the R80 due to it's very smooth power delivery, electronic ignition and improved brakes.  Good luck on finding the "right bike".  
NO longer can ride

Offline pyoungbl

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2015, 12:28:37 PM »
On a whim I bought a R75/6.  It turns out that this bike was mostly obtained by the PO as a few boxes of parts and then put together.  No real issue there but some parts...well, wrong starter, shocks from some kind of oriental bike, dodgy forks, wooden brakes, and a seat pan that was mostly rust.  Fixing all that stuff has brought the bike up to be an OK runner for Gentleman's Rides but I doubt I ever take it far from home.  I have a Stelvio for that.  All in all the R75 parts supply was pretty good, there is an active network of airhead fanatics, and the machines are fairly easy to work on.  Would I do it again?  Probably not.  In fact, I'd sell the bike for just what the repairs cost me since I hardly ever ride it.  Maybe I'll feel differently when spring finally shows its pointy little head. 

Peter Y.
Growing old ain't for sissies.

'13 V7 Special (red/white)

Moto

« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2015, 01:19:46 PM »
I owned a 1962 R60/2 and a R90/6 and wound up disliking both of them.

So get something besides those two. ;)

Offline Tobit

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2015, 01:31:30 PM »
Newer than you're considering, but I had a '91 R100RT that was a wonderful bike.  Rode it all over Michigan and to upstate New York.  By that time they had the single shock rear end, K-bike front end.  This isn't my pic, but mine was exactly like it.  (Except for the oil leaks in the picture.)

One I truly lusted after was very rare in the states apparently.  The R100mono.

http://www.bmbikes.co.uk/photos/specphotos/r100mono%20(2).jpg

One that is still on my bucket list, and that I was shopping for when I found the R100RT is the '88 R100RS.  Will have.

http://www.motorcyclesgo.com/uploads/posts/bmw/a/motorcycles7277191252541.jpg

Tobit
« Last Edit: February 24, 2015, 01:37:08 PM by Tobit »
Roman, '86 LM IV

I drive way too fast to worry about cholesterol

LongRanger

« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2015, 02:05:59 PM »
I'm still searching for a perfect R65LS. Should have bought the new one I demo'd back in 1983, but couldn't come up with the $3,995. Henna Red, white snowflakes...

Lannis, I believe late R65's were built on the R80 frame, but you're right, the early ones (pre-1984?) were based on the R45.

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2015, 02:09:18 PM »
I'm still searching for a perfect R65LS. Should have bought the new one I demo'd back in 1983, but couldn't come up with the $3,995. Henna Red, white snowflakes...

Lannis, I believe late R65's were built on the R80 frame, but you're right, the early ones (pre-1984?) were based on the R45.

My '81 was $4100, I don't think I got much of a break on it, they were pretty popular ... !

Lannis

Offline Sheepdog

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2015, 02:17:10 PM »
The later R65s got both the big-bike frame and different (smaller for more torque) carburetors.

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2015, 02:22:35 PM »

Those are pretty popular and well-thought-of bikes in general.   Were they just "wrong" for you and what you wanted to use them for, or did they break a lot .... ?

Lannis

Online rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2015, 02:38:13 PM »
Since I'm so rich that money is a detail, I'd have to hold out for this:

Online Perazzimx14

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2015, 03:24:10 PM »
I say buy a poster of a toaster tank BMW for the garage wall and buy a vintage Big block Tonti for riding ;-T
2021 Moto Guzzi V85TT Guardia D'onore
2017 V7 III Carbon Dark #0008 of 1921
2017 Road Glide Special
2020 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2016 Suzuki Van Van 200

Moto

« Reply #19 on: February 24, 2015, 03:31:31 PM »
Those are pretty popular and well-thought-of bikes in general.   Were they just "wrong" for you and what you wanted to use them for, or did they break a lot .... ?

Lannis

They gradually subsided in my estimation compared to the T3 they shared a garage with, until finally they were beneath contempt.

My attitude toward them hasn't improved since I sold them.

I suppose it was a number of things. The bland engine note, the awkward geometry of the R90, the R90's breakdown at Crater Lake that led to a 600 mile trip up the coast of Oregon to Bremerton WA in 2nd gear, the slipping clutch on the R60, and the total lack of any functional superiority, or any other superiority, to my T3. And, finally, a weariness with the fawning admiration generated by the BMW rondel itself, often as not from people who knew nothing at all about motorcycles.

The one good thing I can think of was that the R60/2 made a dandy sidecar outfit with my Spirit Eagle. I miss that.

Online Antietam Classic Cycle

• Gaggle Hero
  • Happily stuck in the past.
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
« Reply #20 on: February 24, 2015, 04:03:49 PM »

The more I work on BMWs, the more I dislike them.  ;)
Charlie

Offline Sheepdog

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #21 on: February 24, 2015, 04:10:12 PM »
My '60 R60 was dead-reliable...but very underpowered, maintenance-intensive, and a little agricultural. I loved it anyway...

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #22 on: February 24, 2015, 04:16:07 PM »
They gradually subsided in my estimation compared to the T3 they shared a garage with, until finally they were beneath contempt.

My attitude toward them hasn't improved since I sold them.

I suppose it was a number of things. The bland engine note, the awkward geometry of the R90, the R90's breakdown at Crater Lake that led to a 600 mile trip up the coast of Oregon to Bremerton WA in 2nd gear, the slipping clutch on the R60, and the total lack of any functional superiority, or any other superiority, to my T3. And, finally, a weariness with the fawning admiration generated by the BMW rondel itself, often as not from people who knew nothing at all about motorcycles.

The one good thing I can think of was that the R60/2 made a dandy sidecar outfit with my Spirit Eagle. I miss that.

Interesting that both you and Charlie consider that the BMWs suffer mainly by comparisons with Moto Guzzis!

Fair enough ....  ;-T

Lannis

Offline jabberwocky

• Gosling
« Reply #23 on: February 24, 2015, 04:31:19 PM »
I've had a /5 for about 20 years, and it is a great bike. Three years ago, I built up a T3 basket case, and while I still love the BMW, I love the Guzzi more. My Guzzi does pretty much everything at least a little better than the BMW. Also, as much as Guzzi parts aren't cheap, BMW parts are even less cheap. I'm happy to have one of each.

Online Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #24 on: February 24, 2015, 04:39:16 PM »
I say buy a poster of a toaster tank BMW for the garage wall and buy a vintage Big block Tonti for riding ;-T

:+1

Sorry. I don't think *any* of the airheads can hold a candle to an equivalent Guzzi. Boring as batshit. (TO ME) Your MMV, of course.  ;D
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline Dimples

• Gosling
« Reply #25 on: February 24, 2015, 05:24:06 PM »
:+1

Sorry. I don't think *any* of the airheads can hold a candle to an equivalent Guzzi. Boring as batshit. (TO ME) Your MMV, of course.  ;D

I've owned three LWB R75/5's (still this one) and I do agree with Chuck. However, these are very well made machines, simple to work on and to find parts & service for. They are heavy, relatively underpowered and don't actually "handle" compared to a Tonti-framed Moto Guzzi. I would recommend the oldest example you can afford. Look for one with luggage. The drum brakes are fine for putting around. Keep it simple (that's their best feature). I think you'll enjoy its characteristics.
'96 Sport 1100 - carb
'71 Ambassador - Venolia

oldbike54

« Reply #26 on: February 24, 2015, 05:40:02 PM »
My '60 R60 was dead-reliable...but very underpowered, maintenance-intensive, and a little agricultural. I loved it anyway...

Maintenance intensive and underpowered compared to what , a 1960 HD or Triumph , or maybe a BSA from that
era  ??? :D As for the superior handling of a Tonti to a /5 , sure , but a loop frame bike , stock , will not handle as well as a 1969 /5 . Heavy , I think my R60/5 weighed about 460 lbs , so once again , heavy compared to what ?
I understand most of you guys prefer Guzzies , and that is fine , but most airhead beemrs were also fine machines, capable of high mileage at a fair rate of speed . Geez  ;D

Dusty

Online rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
« Reply #27 on: February 24, 2015, 06:43:36 PM »
Having experience with both, I think the 850T is a pretty good match to the R80/7 -- at least in full trim.  I don't think it's fair to compare them to all-disk or higher displacement models.  Mechanically they are identical.  What's not to like?

Offline Dean Rose

• Gaggle Hero
    • Twin Valley Riders
« Reply #28 on: February 24, 2015, 07:17:31 PM »
Since I'm so rich that money is a detail, I'd have to hold out for this:

Talk about a cool bike to retro!

Dean
Magnolia '02 EV
Sophia '06 Breva 1100 
"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity."

Offline leafman60

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #29 on: February 24, 2015, 08:37:44 PM »
The classic BMW airheads are great bikes with more character than their modern descendants.

I like them and they are easy to service/repair. Loving a Guzzi doesn't mean that one must disparage and condemn other bikes!  I find merit in many different bikes which is why my garage remains too crowded.

To the original poster-

The R75/5 Toaster Tank bike is the '57 Chevy of old BMW's.  The early bikes are "short wheelbase" which is what I prefer because of their quick handling.  The later "long wheelbase" bikes are fine too. The 4-speed transmissions are a bit clunky but that's normal - even for more modern BMW's. A pristine Toaster will hold its value well.

If you want a little more power and better shifting, the R90/6, 5-speed series that came later will help. Except for the R90S, however, the /6 comes stock with a single front disc brake that is barely adequate. Adapting a spare R90S added disc is common but can get expensive.

If you want to go back in time more, the R69S is another heralded model favored by many collectors. I generally prefer the /5 or /6 models because they can run at sustained higher speeds more easily.

« Last Edit: February 25, 2015, 06:32:57 PM by leafman60 »

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here