Author Topic: Tank Prep for Paint - Sandblast or leave some paint?  (Read 4055 times)

Online Groover

• Gaggle Hero
  • If it ain't broke, I'll break it.
    • Scooteropolis
Tank Prep for Paint - Sandblast or leave some paint?
« on: February 27, 2015, 10:17:19 AM »
If you are prepping a not-so-bad tank to be painted with just a few chips, and on it's on what will be 3rd paint job including factory color, would you sandblast it or sand down the paint/factory paint down enough to get a good paint job (so it leaves the factory anticorrosion layer in place).

If sandblasting, would you use something like this to keep if from rusting before the paint job?

http://www.eastwood.com/eastwood-afterblast.html?fee=7&fep=5192&adpos=1o1&creative=61491489540&device=c&matchtype=&network=g&SRCCODE=GA220010&gclid=CO-ivOrBgsQCFQyEaQodY68AMg

Is there an equivalent that can be purchased at a regular Wal-Mart type store?

Thanks for the assistance.

« Last Edit: February 27, 2015, 10:18:15 AM by Groover »
1981 Moto Guzzi V1000G5
1987 Moto Guzzi LM1000SE, a
1987 Moto Guzzi LM1000SE, b
1980 Piaggio Vespa P200E
1980 Piaggio Vespa P125X
1980 Vespa Grande Moped
1980 Vespa SI Moped
http://scooteropolis.com/

jomarti3

Re: Tank Prep for Paint - Sandblast or leave some paint?
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2015, 10:38:35 AM »
I suggest wet sanding down to original primer if it is intact.  Feather ( sand out uneven surface) areas of chipped paint so they are smooth.  Reprime any bare metal areas.

Online RinkRat II

• Gaggle Hero
  • Lake Powell AZ
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2015, 10:56:38 AM »
Media blasting is better than sandblasting thin metal for less distortion. Check your yellow pages for a shop that does it. A good automotive primer  of two or three coats wet sanded down to 600 grit and your good to go. Already two coats on there is a little thick for a quality repaint . IMHO ~; Good Luck

Paul :BEER:
A Miller in the hand is worth two in the fridge.

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2015, 11:20:32 AM »
Sand it..
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2015, 11:20:32 AM »

Offline Dimples

• Gosling
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2015, 06:00:08 PM »

It's very important that you clean the surface of contaminates--wax, silicone, etc. (don't grind them in). There are products for this first step.

Then wet sand it (by hand). Sequence with 150, 180, 220 grit. Then spray primer. Wet sand again, this time sequence with 320, 400, 600 grit (if you go through the primer re-coat). Then spray color (lay decals) and clear coat.

There's additional technique required for decals under clear coats. For professional results (base coat/clear coat) you should really take it to a pro. You might actually save money in the long run. A catalyzed clear coat will resist fuel spills.
'96 Sport 1100 - carb
'71 Ambassador - Venolia

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2015, 08:10:40 PM »
Dimples pretty much has it covered. There's a fair amount involved with paint prep. That's why getting a good paint job costs so much. If you really care, and you have to ask, take it to a pro. Not trying to be a smartass here...
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline Triple Jim

• Gaggle Hero
    • Lakeland Services Company
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2015, 08:22:28 PM »
There are lots of ways to do it, and I'm not disagreeing with the above...   Around 1979 or so I sandblasted a set of motorcycle sheet metal parts down to bare steel, primed with DuPont Corlar 2-part epoxy primer, and followed with DuPont Imron, a 2-part polyurethane paint.  It looked professionally done at the time, and still looks darned good 36 years later.  The only sanding was to smooth up the Corlar before spraying the Imron.  Of course if there's any Bondo type filler, sandblasting is probably out unless you don't mind redoing the filler.
When the Brussels sprout fails to venture from its lair, it is time to roll a beaver up a grassy slope.

canuck750

« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2015, 08:50:30 PM »
I grew up in a body shop, dad was a body man all his life and way back then paint was always chemically stripped or sanded off, never sand blasted. Soda blasting is a good way to remove paint if you have the equipment but chemically stripping is a good second choice. Sand blasting can do a lot of damage to the metal surface.

I gave up painting my own stuff a couple years ago when I found an older body man who specializes in bikes, he uses aircraft paint stripper, phosphorous acid to get any rust out of pours then neutralize with soap and water followed by metal etch primer.

Offline krglorioso

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2015, 11:46:45 PM »
What Canuck said.  Aircraft stripper gets everything off, including your skin if you choose not to wear gloves and EYE PROTECTION!!!  In case there's any Bondo under the old paint, you'll know about it this way and it's a lot less work.

Ralph
Ralph
"You don't stop riding because you got old; you got old because you stopped riding".

2004 Moto Guzzi Breva 750
2017 Honda CB-500F
2021 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650

Online Groover

• Gaggle Hero
  • If it ain't broke, I'll break it.
    • Scooteropolis
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2015, 08:03:03 AM »
Thanks guys. I'll be taking the parts to a pro and let them handle-it. My questions was mainly out of curiosity and just to see what the general consensus was on this, and also because I was tinkering with the idea of doing the prep myself. From the replies, I'd say that in my case I think just sanding may be the preferred method since they aren't in too bad of shape.

Thanks again for the replies.
1981 Moto Guzzi V1000G5
1987 Moto Guzzi LM1000SE, a
1987 Moto Guzzi LM1000SE, b
1980 Piaggio Vespa P200E
1980 Piaggio Vespa P125X
1980 Vespa Grande Moped
1980 Vespa SI Moped
http://scooteropolis.com/

Asylum

« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2015, 09:07:58 AM »
Usually sand blasting is used to remove rust. Apart from that I only sand and feather edge, spraying etching primer on the bare metal areas and then filler primer on the whole piece. Filler primer will hide sand scratches more than if you only used etching primer.

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here