Author Topic: Tach Suddenly Reading 7K  (Read 2214 times)

Offline Kiwi_Roy

• Gaggle Hero
Tach Suddenly Reading 7K
« on: March 01, 2015, 06:26:16 AM »
The tach on my EV decided to read 7000 today even when off, is that the counterweight issue?
72 Eldorado
17 V7iii Special
76 Convert
Half a V9 Roamer

Moto Guzzi - making electricians out of riders since March 15 1921

Online PeteS

• Gaggle Hero
Re: Tach Suddenly Reading 7K
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2015, 06:55:45 AM »
If it stays at 7k when you move the bars back and forth its probably the counterweights. If the needle flops around its a broken support spring. You can try to fix it but its not easy and its almost impossible to make it read correctly again. Best to bite the bullet and get an aftermarket replacement.

Pete

Offline Strom

• Gaggle Mentor
    • Moto Guzzi Slovenia forum
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2015, 07:07:01 AM »
Broken springs usually get broken at the soldering point. It can be fixed with not much trouble, the biggest problem being able to open it up (and put it back together - glass tends to crack. Get a backup glass or plexi).

I was able to fix mine 2-3 times before it died completely. Looks like the coil thing went - not sure.

I like the looks of the original dash, so.... searching for a cheap working replacement and hope it will work for a few years.
Since everyone has their list of bikes in their sig... and it seems useful, here we go:
1979 Yamaha XS 1100
1984 Moto Guzzi V35 II
1998 Moto Guzzi California EV
2001 Aprilia RST1000 Futura

Offline Caffeineo

• Guzzi B00b
  • Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2015, 08:09:34 AM »
I had one of the weights come off and the tach just hung out around 1K, running or not. Found a thread on here with some pics of how to take it apart and was able to get the weight glued back on and everything back together without breaking anything.  ;-T Now the tach works but reads about 500 low. Just happy it still moves as I really like the original look and would not stick anything else in there. You may also search for a speedometer/instrument shop to fix it.
2022 Moto Guzzi V85
2018 Husky 701
2023 Husky TX300

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2015, 08:09:34 AM »

Online PeteS

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2015, 08:43:16 AM »
Sometimes the weight just shears off, othertimes it vibrates to dust at the bottom of the can. Thats what happened to mine. I had to guess at the weight and glued a piece of lead in its place. I then recalibrated it with a pulse generator. Somewhere inside you will find a sticker that says either 5500 impulsi (sic) or 11,000 impulsi depending on which model its for. That is the number of impulses for a full scale reading. My mistake was calibrating it with the dial laying horizontally. I should have done it at the angle it sits on the bike. Mine always read high after that and I knew if I pried the bezel off one more time it would have come apart.

Pete

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here