Author Topic: HOW WATERPROOF ARE STELVIO NTX BAGS?  (Read 4974 times)

Offline Spuddy

• Gaggle Hero
  • Best Thing About A Mind Is Being Able To Change It
HOW WATERPROOF ARE STELVIO NTX BAGS?
« on: March 01, 2015, 04:27:04 PM »
Or am I gunna for sure need liners?  If so, what and where to get them?

Spuddy
'13 Stelvio NTX
'07 California Vintage
'01 W650
'00 Quota 1100ES + Ural

Offline Daniel Kalal

• Gaggle Hero
  • Daytona, Stelvio [Kansas]
    • Trip Reports
Re: HOW WATERPROOF ARE STELVIO NTX BAGS?
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2015, 04:45:16 PM »
Or am I gunna for sure need liners?  If so, what and where to get them?

Spuddy

your dealer can order the pair.  I've not used the saddlebags much, but I've found the lids to be water tight.  However, having liners makes the walk to your hotel room much easier.  The lines are well made.

Offline Green1000S

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2015, 05:01:20 PM »
I have the Stelvio bags on my Quota, been in hidious rain, dumped bike in streams etc. They are waterproof in normal rain and use.
It it pours like hell and youre going 70mph for hours on highway, you may get small amount of water inside panniers.

You can also waterproof them more. I put mine into a bathtub with bricks inside and waited for water to come in. Sealed everything with black slilicone. I use 1/2" neoprene strips on botton and the stuff never gets wet. I used liners before but not anymore. Another plus is that I carry a small ax, shovel, bunch of steel tools, inner tubes etc with me and you can do this with aluminum panniers without worrying that they will be trashed. I also drilled holes for bottle holders and carry extra fuel with me.

Wet enough?? This was at Bradley Wilson, PA, mud, water, more mud, more water, all day and my tools and stuff stayed totally dry.

Propably one of the best panniers you can get. If I would need a new set, I would definately buy same ones again.  ;-T
« Last Edit: March 01, 2015, 06:13:34 PM by Green1000S »
Lauri
2014 Green Stelvio NTX
2016 Stornello #101
1972 Bultaco Matador SD
2016 KTM Duke 390
49cc 1921 Guzzi Board Track Racer;-)
1968 Riverside MW 125
1972 Bultaco Matador M82 Six Days
2 Robin's + 1/2 doz other mopeds

Ciao!

Offline Wayne Orwig

• Gaggle Hero
    • Hog Mountain weather
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2015, 05:04:19 PM »
The old style ones weren't too waterproof. They went through a couple of revisions and as far as I have heard, work well now.

Scientist have discovered that people will believe anything, if you first say "Scientists have discovered...."

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2015, 05:04:19 PM »

dilligaf

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2015, 05:46:49 PM »
No comment.  Most of my bags were designed to collect water.  If I was in the middle of a desert, drying of thirty I would expect to find water in my saddle bags.   ;D I seldom use liners but pack my stuff in individual water proof stuff sacks.   ie socks and underwear in one bag, shirts in another -you get the idea.  :BEER:
Matt

Offline ChuckH

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2015, 06:07:34 PM »
My NTX rear cases have been water proof and have been well tested.  However, I still use a set of flexible bags that fit inside of the cases to hold my gear.  The bags make it easier to move into my tent or motel room.
Essential to the pursuit of happiness is knowing when you've caught it.
Life's what happens while you're making other plans.
I always knew I'd get old.  How fast it happened was a bit of a surprise, though.

'08 Chevy Corvette (non-Stealth, Bright Red)

Offline guzzibs

• New Egg
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2015, 07:09:33 PM »
2010 NTX with a bit each way re water.

Left bag leaks like a sieve and the right never a drop.

Clothes go in the right and the rest in the left.

Aussie weather where I am means not such a problem!!!

Brian

Offline pyoungbl

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2015, 07:35:45 PM »
No leaks on my NTX hard bags.  I do like to have inner bags for the schlep to the motel or tent.  After I upgraded the locks these hard bags have been great.  Liners might be good for some but I prefer having smaller bags so I can grab just what I want and leave the rest alone.  On a trip I'll fill one small bag with toilet stuff, some socks and underwear, maybe a clean t-shirt.  That goes into the motel with me.  I then have everything I need for the night and the next day I can head back to the bike with just one bag...much less to lose or forget.

Peter Y.
Growing old ain't for sissies.

'13 V7 Special (red/white)

Offline Johncolleary

• Gosling
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2015, 08:07:50 PM »
I have a 2013 NTX and just went through a hell of a storm for 3 hours on the hwy and came through dry in both side cases and top case. I usually take the cases into the hotel room so no one is tempted to see whats inside.  I have the velcro handle straps on the bags that work out well.
"The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made." �Groucho Marx
2013 Stelvio NTX
2014 Triumph Tiger 800
2001 Suzuki DR400
2023 Kawasaki KLX300

Offline MotoG5

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2015, 08:26:48 AM »
On my 2012 NTX the bags had the upgraded top cover seals and did fine. Until I had a parking lot tip over and then the right bag that made ground contact leaked. I think the rivet construction allowed a slight shift in the joints and it started weeping. I resealed the seems with black silicone and all is well now. The liners are indeed well made but for me just too expensive. For anything I am worried about I just use heavy zip lock baggies to insure extra protection. Like Johncolleary I have the Velcro handle straps and take the bags into the room with me. The straps are cheap and work very well.
Nebraska MGNOC State Rep

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here