Author Topic: Man/bike down, soliciting safety ideas  (Read 2751 times)

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
Re: Man/bike down, soliciting safety ideas
« Reply #60 on: November 11, 2021, 09:25:26 AM »
NO , NO , NO Guys !

That "Over the Handlebars thing is a myth" ,  Unless you hit something !  :violent1:

No I totally went over the bars with a locked front wheel on pavement, downhill, in the rain and did a superman slide toward the intersection. The tiny little Honda folded under me and left me behind. My helmet never even hit the ground as I stared down the hill toward the headlights of the car that had stopped at the red light and had NOT made a left in front of me as it turned yellow (as I'd anticipated).

The most humiliating part of the experience was that both bike and I stopped before the light so if I hadn't been so ham fisted we both could have stopped upright.

But I was young and dumb(er) and grabbed WAY too much brake that morning, so I sat at my desk with ice from the company cafeteria on my knee dripping slowly into my waste basket as it melted. Well, after picking the bike up and man handling the handlebars straight enough to ride it the rest of the way to work.

I think I continued to wear those rain pants with duct tape over the new holes for a while, till I finally could afford waterproof Aerostich pants with ARMOR.

Ahhhhhh my twenties.... good times, good times....
Current Fleet

18 Guzzi V7III Carbon Dark
13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline MMRanch

• MMRanch
  • Gaggle Mentor
  • Evil wins if Good Men do Nothing
« Reply #61 on: November 11, 2021, 09:44:14 AM »
Kev

On wet pavement I'm surprised you had the traction to lift the rear tire .   The idea makes me want to run the front tire a touch on the soft side.

Or

That LITTLE HONDA thing ... I had one (65 SS) that only weighed 160# , and I was only 125# ...
so
Yea I can picture it !  :embarrassed:

That little bike sure was easy to flip around ...  :smiley:

Hay that makes me think of rake angle and wheelbase, but that's another topic
« Last Edit: November 11, 2021, 10:01:58 AM by MMRanch »
2016 V7-II Stone
2022 Royal Enfield Meteor Stellar Blue

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #62 on: November 11, 2021, 09:58:50 AM »
Kev

On wet pavement you didn't have the traction to lift the rear tire ,   it must have slid out from under ya.

Or

That LITTLE HONDA thing ... I had one that (65 SS) that only weighed 160# , and I was only 125# ...
so
Yea I can picture it !  :embarrassed:

That little bike sure was easy to flip around ...  :smiley:

Hay that makes me think of rake angle and wheelbase, but that's another topic

Look I know I'm going back decades on memory, but downhill (steep) and more importantly I hit the ground IN FRONT OF IT and the bike wound up behind me (though off to the side a bit). So maybe it's semantics how I went over of it or it slid out from under (but backwards), meaning the rear didn't raise up and launch me, but the bike disappeared from under me and I sailed down the road in front of it on my belly.

Current Fleet

13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline MMRanch

• MMRanch
  • Gaggle Mentor
  • Evil wins if Good Men do Nothing
« Reply #63 on: November 11, 2021, 10:26:49 AM »
Yea Kev

Just trying to get a mental picture of things as we go along.

After thinking on it a bit I can see where if bike and ridder weigh about the same things could change a lot.    :laugh:   :laugh:

At one time one of my cousins had a little dual sport 100cc that couldn't have weighed as much as he did.   Seems like its name started with a "H" .    I believe we pronounced it "Ho-da-ka-"  That was a long time ago ? 

I hope you only had one time playing Super Man !  It doesn't seem like it would be fun.

« Last Edit: November 11, 2021, 10:35:43 AM by MMRanch »
2016 V7-II Stone
2022 Royal Enfield Meteor Stellar Blue

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #63 on: November 11, 2021, 10:26:49 AM »

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #64 on: November 11, 2021, 10:39:48 AM »
Yea Kev

Just trying to get a mental picture of things as we go along.

After thinking on it a bit I can see where if bike and ridder weigh about the same things could change a lot.    :laugh:   :laugh:

At one time one of my cousins had a little dual sport 100cc that couldn't have weighed as much as he did.   Seems like its name started with a "H" .    I believe we pronounced it "Ho-da-ka-"  That was a long time ago ? 

I hope you only had one time playing Super Man !  It doesn't seem like it would be fun.

:thumb:

Yeah I've managed to avoid it ever since and will stride to keep doing so.

Now I DID low side in sand at least once, that sucked too, but less.

Current Fleet

13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here