Author Topic: Cali 1400 Suspension  (Read 655 times)

Offline Guzziman22

• New Egg
Cali 1400 Suspension
« on: November 25, 2021, 01:11:17 PM »
Compared to my other bikes, the front suspension is stiff.  I feel every bug I run over and bumps bounce me off the seat.  Not what one would expect of a luxury touring bike.  ??? :embarassed:

Online Ncdan

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
Re: Cali 1400 Suspension
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2021, 02:02:30 PM »
Compared to my other bikes, the front suspension is stiff.  I feel every bug I run over and bumps bounce me off the seat.  Not what one would expect of a luxury touring bike.  ??? :embarassed:
I had a 2015 tourer and never experienced an issue  that.
Have you looked at the position of the adjustment on your shocks?

Offline moto-uno

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2021, 05:08:07 PM »
  I agree with the above statement , the rear suspension sucks ( that's understating it ) , constant bottoming on
what seemed like any bump . The front end however is quite compliant . I put a set of somewhat firmer springs in the
front with preload adjusters to slightly reduce front end dive when braking . Mine is a 2018 Eldo and the rear shocks
were gone in 5k kilometers and the replacements were from a HD mid 2000's Dyna model . Peter

Offline DougG

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2021, 07:24:29 AM »
Hi Gman22,                                                                                                   11-26-21

Sorry to hear about your suspension issues.  I now have a 2015 and a 2017 Cali 1400 Tour.  I've not experienced any of those problems with the suspension.  (I weigh 175 lbs. and maybe carry 25 lbs. max cargo.)  Did you buy your bike new?  Was something modified?  Maybe something is loose?  Just spit-balling.   :sad:

Be well, stay well,
DougG
A possum playing possum is no big deal.  Find one that can play giraffe, now you got yourself something!

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2021, 07:24:29 AM »

Offline lucian

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2021, 12:03:05 PM »
There is a whole thread on the 1400 suspension setup and improvements over at Guzzi Tech , com in the forum section ,  Some have installed Matris adjustable front sprinds/dampers with noticeable improvement, I have found a huge difference in front end feel on the 1400 depending on the front tire type and pressure.  I find it tolerable when two up and loaded but on the harsh side when solo,  make sure your rear preload it set up for you and how you load it, it makes a big difference.  Good luck getting it sorted out . A fantastic bike .

Offline Dave_NWTrophy

• New Egg
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2021, 03:29:39 PM »
I'll second the GuzziTech thread:

https://www.guzzitech.com/forums/threads/audace-eldo-and-17-tour-mgx-21-f15k-matris-fork-kit-info.20404/

Not sure what year you have, but if it has the later Kaifa forks, it may have bad bushings, as mentioned in the fourth post.  You'll need to figure out if you have the Sachs or Kaifa forks to start with.

Dave

Offline moto-uno

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2021, 10:51:43 PM »
  If it's got Kaifa forks , on the inside of the fork sliders , behind the front brake rotors , you should see the letter K embossed . Peter

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here