General Category > General Discussion

Sad Texas m/c stat

<< < (4/4)

Furbo:
As a fellow Texas rider.....who left Texas with the Army in '88 and just recently moved back.....

-Road infrastructure has not kept up with traffic or population growth.

-The Ford Ranger is now the size of my 94 F150 and the F150 will not fit into a standard garage.

- Speed limits are practically equal to European speeds - roads are not.

- We've done away with real Drivers Ed

I go for rides, but I no longer commute daily as I did for 30yrs.

dublicious:

--- Quote from: actwin on May 14, 2022, 03:41:12 PM ---Sorry to say it but it's true. There are an awful lot of stupid mc riders out there that think they are much safer then they are on a bike. Even more that don't take riding a motorcycle seriously. Just jump on and ride .

--- End quote ---

Yep, not taking riding seriously. Even before I started riding, I've been shocked how many RIDERS are somehow managing to screw with their phones while riding. Latest was spotting a guy following in my rearview standing up on his pegs to pull his cell from his back pocket and following way too close. If I had to brake even moderately he would have been in my truck bed.

People have always been out there doing dumb stuff, drivers and riders alike. Problem today is a lot more vehicles on the road. Being distracted and sailing into a ditch on a backroad has become being distracted and sailing into someone's rear end or oncoming traffic.

Dilliw:
Living in Austin (Texas is a big place):

The mix of CA drivers and Texas drivers is scary.
There are a lot of 2 lane roads with no median and higher speed limits.  I've had plenty of bad drivers in cars coming at me in my lane.
Terrible road conditions especially in the bottoms.

That said, highway fatalities are up nationwide with 43k in 2021.  Think about it, as safe as the modern car is we are dying at rates similar to the 1980s.  Unreal.

bigbikerrick:
I think the "Mayor" hit the nail on the head!   :thumb:
Rick.

Bulldog9:
Haven't looked at the stats recently, but last time I did, the large majority of MC deaths were SINGLE vehicle deaths/injuries. IOW, riders riding too fast, inexperienced, under the influence.

Like most of you, because I ride, I am always shocked and dismayed to see how many people have their phones plastered to their faces 24/7, and this level of distracted driving has to be adding to MC injuries and deaths. Some of these maroons are even on their phones while riding their motorcycles.

I don't throw shade towards states without helmet laws. I'm wearing a full face helmet if I am leaving my neighborhood.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version