Author Topic: Sad Texas m/c stat  (Read 1124 times)

Offline Texas Turnip

• Gaggle Hero
Sad Texas m/c stat
« on: May 13, 2022, 07:04:04 AM »
In 2021 519 motorcycle riders were killed on Texas highways 2,318 were seriously injured.

Upon reflection when I started riding my '51 Harley 74 back in 1959 there was not a m/c endorsement on your drivers license. You'd cringe at seeing some of the old half helmets we wore along with our leather jackets, Levis and engineer boots. The headlight on all the time law didn't happen until the mid 70's. I know my first Guzzi a 71 Ambo didn't have it. You would almost think that with all the safety features and m/c safety classes that motorcycle fatalities would be down.

What is the answer to reducing fatalities?
Tex

Offline Scout63

• Gaggle Hero
Re: Sad Texas m/c stat
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2022, 07:13:18 AM »
I don’t think there is a way unless head injuries area big factor.  Does Texas require helmets?  I wouldn’t mind getting rid of cellphones, alcohol, adolescence, deer, sand and left turn lanes.
Ben Zehnder - Orleans, MA USA

Offline Gliderjohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2022, 07:19:18 AM »
Do wonder what percent of riders and/or drivers involved in these wrecks are under some amount of alcohol influence.
GliderJohn
John Peters
East Mountains, NM

Offline blackcat

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2022, 07:54:04 AM »
How many motorcycles were on the road in 59 compared to today?
1968 Norton Fastback
1976 Lemans
1981 CX-100
1993 1000S
1997 Daytona RS
2007 Red Norge

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2022, 07:54:04 AM »

Offline Mayor_of_BBQ

• Instagram: @Mayor_of_BBQ
  • Gaggle Hero
  • 'Ever thus to deadbeats, Lebowski'
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2022, 08:09:30 AM »
In '59 every single person in Texas wasn't driving a huge truck that you can't see a 6' tall man standing in front of you, over the hood....  while driving 90mph, changing lanes while sipping a starbuks and checking their facebook feed on a smartphone and streaming GPS directions thru their in-dash LCD screen!
Chad (Shadrach) in Asheville NC
1979 LeMans CX-100 (battle axe)
2007 Breva 1100 (Sport 1200 tribute)

Online cliffrod

• Gaggle Hero
  • AC Button II
    • Carolina Sculpture Studio
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2022, 08:35:17 AM »
Unless the data is statistically significant (mathematically so, not just significant because my cousin was one of those who got sick/hurt/killed/etc) there's no way to accurately interpret or  compare the data. 
1973 V7 Sport  "Now THAT'S a motorcycle!"-  Master Sculptor Giuliano Cecchinelli
1967 V700 Corsa Record
1981 Lemans CX100
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ExX3YmQel_Q
http://carolinasculpturestudio.com/
Carolina Sculpture Studio YuoTube Channel-
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCzSYaYdis55gE-vqifz

Offline Texas Turnip

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2022, 06:32:32 PM »
Scout 63. No, Texas does not have a helmet law.
GliderJohn. Hate to admit that waaay too many are under the influence when they are killed.

It is always impossible to decipher the figures. When I started riding there was no freeways, lots of gravel roads and open range for livestock. The bikes had bad brakes, poor tires and headlights.

Here is hoping that next years m/c fatalities will drop.
Tex

Offline kingoffleece

• SplitWeight(tm) seat covers
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Rated 5 STARS Motorcycle Consumer News
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2022, 05:54:49 AM »
Cell phones, alcohol, and unaware drivers.  The perfect storm.
SplitWeight(tm) seat covers. A King of Fleece LLC product.

Offline 80CX100

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2022, 07:43:19 AM »
     It would be interesting to compare those 2021 stats with previous years to see if it was normal or an increase.

I can't remember where I read it, but iirc for all of NA during the time of _ there were statistical anomalies, of high rates of death trends for males of working age, ie 20-55 yrs.

One of the areas that that showed up, were single vehicle, fatal motorcycle  accidents, where the death rates jumped by 40-50%.?

The article referenced a variety of possible causes, but due to _ I'm reluctant to get into them all.

Stay safe and enjoy the ride

fwiw
2008 California Vintage
2003 V11 Lemans
2007 Griso 1100
1979 G5 & 1980 Lemans CX100
2010 Suzuki DR650 & 1978 SR500

In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act. George Orwell

Online s1120

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2022, 07:55:05 AM »
Implied safety breeds complicity. Cars are "safe", motorcycles are "safe" so we don't think that "Hey, if a tire blows im already at my max skill level" I live on a curvy 45mph county road. cars, trucks, etc normally drive at 55-60. Vary few people, or cars would do that 30 years ago. You know you would be killed. Cars, bikes, and most of all trucks are so much more easy to drive/ride on the edge, so there is just no comfort zone if there is a issue of any kind.  I do wonder if the numbers brake out over single or multi vehicle accidents. That would give a better idea if its "Us or them".
Paul B

Offline Road Rocket

• Hatchling
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2022, 08:21:05 AM »
Modern vehicles with quiet interiors, minimal driver involvement and them damn huge distracting touch screens...And intoxication....and the dreaded cell phone..
  My wife and I are in our mid 70's, our vehicles are always manual gearboxes...When asked why she prefers a manual, my wife says " shifting gears keeps me awake".....
 I am familar with cannibus and it does affect my riding skills so I never ride buzzed...With more states legalizing weed I wonder if the accident rate increases...
Rough Edge Racing with a new name but still the same pin head

Offline actwin

• New Egg
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2022, 03:41:12 PM »
Sorry to say it but it's true. There are an awful lot of stupid mc riders out there that think they are much safer then they are on a bike. Even more that don't take riding a motorcycle seriously. Just jump on and ride .

Offline actwin

• New Egg
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2022, 04:24:25 PM »
One thing I learned over the years is blame myself first. What did I do to possibly cause a close call.  That's something that I can control.

Offline krglorioso

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2022, 10:05:43 PM »
I live and ride in the Texas Hill Country, which has an overpopulation of deer.  In the one mile 2-lane road from my home to a main road, it is not unlikely that I will see more than 30 whitetail deer.  I drive very slowly and am quivering with anxiety until the main road, where I quiver a bit less, but still am very anxious and watchful.

I first wore a ("Geno" brand, aluminum "pudding bowl") helmet in Summer, 1953 and have never/could never ride without one.  I would say that a quarter to a third of riders I see are helmetless.  Often no protective gear at all.  I guess they are immortal.  Wish I were.

Ralph
Ralph
"You don't stop riding because you got old; you got old because you stopped riding".

2004 Moto Guzzi Breva 750
2017 Honda CB-500F
2021 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650

Offline blackcat

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2022, 07:52:22 AM »
 “I would say that a quarter to a third of riders I see are helmetless.  Often no protective gear at all.  I guess they are immortal.  Wish I were.”

Passed a guy yesterday with shorts, flip-flops, no gloves, no helmet and that will not be that last one I see from now until October.
1968 Norton Fastback
1976 Lemans
1981 CX-100
1993 1000S
1997 Daytona RS
2007 Red Norge

Offline Furbo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2022, 09:32:38 AM »
As a fellow Texas rider.....who left Texas with the Army in '88 and just recently moved back.....

-Road infrastructure has not kept up with traffic or population growth.

-The Ford Ranger is now the size of my 94 F150 and the F150 will not fit into a standard garage.

- Speed limits are practically equal to European speeds - roads are not.

- We've done away with real Drivers Ed

I go for rides, but I no longer commute daily as I did for 30yrs.
Killeen, TX
'96 Sport 1100
'72 N. Falcone
'72 Eldo

Eccl 9:9,10

Offline dublicious

• New Egg
    • None
« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2022, 09:50:51 AM »
Sorry to say it but it's true. There are an awful lot of stupid mc riders out there that think they are much safer then they are on a bike. Even more that don't take riding a motorcycle seriously. Just jump on and ride .

Yep, not taking riding seriously. Even before I started riding, I've been shocked how many RIDERS are somehow managing to screw with their phones while riding. Latest was spotting a guy following in my rearview standing up on his pegs to pull his cell from his back pocket and following way too close. If I had to brake even moderately he would have been in my truck bed.

People have always been out there doing dumb stuff, drivers and riders alike. Problem today is a lot more vehicles on the road. Being distracted and sailing into a ditch on a backroad has become being distracted and sailing into someone's rear end or oncoming traffic.

Offline Dilliw

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2022, 03:52:53 PM »
Living in Austin (Texas is a big place):

The mix of CA drivers and Texas drivers is scary.
There are a lot of 2 lane roads with no median and higher speed limits.  I've had plenty of bad drivers in cars coming at me in my lane.
Terrible road conditions especially in the bottoms.

That said, highway fatalities are up nationwide with 43k in 2021.  Think about it, as safe as the modern car is we are dying at rates similar to the 1980s.  Unreal.

George Westbury
Austin, TX
2003 EVT "The Tank"
2011 Griso SE

L-824 and L-825

Offline bigbikerrick

• Gaggle Hero
  • 73 Eldo, 98 V 11 ,12 Ural Gear Up, 76 Convert,
  • Location: Southeastern corner of Arizona, right next to "Old Mexico, and New Mexico"
« Reply #18 on: May 17, 2022, 04:00:21 PM »
I think the "Mayor" hit the nail on the head!   :thumb:
Rick.
"You meet the most interesting people on a Guzzi"

Offline Bulldog9

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #19 on: May 18, 2022, 07:39:51 AM »
Haven't looked at the stats recently, but last time I did, the large majority of MC deaths were SINGLE vehicle deaths/injuries. IOW, riders riding too fast, inexperienced, under the influence.

Like most of you, because I ride, I am always shocked and dismayed to see how many people have their phones plastered to their faces 24/7, and this level of distracted driving has to be adding to MC injuries and deaths. Some of these maroons are even on their phones while riding their motorcycles.

I don't throw shade towards states without helmet laws. I'm wearing a full face helmet if I am leaving my neighborhood.
MGNOC#23231
The Living: 1976 Convert, 2004 Breva 750, 2007 GRiSO, 2008 1200 Sport, 2016 Stornello #742,
The Departed: 2017 MGX, 2014 Norge GT, 
In Stasis: 1978 XS750, XS1100SF

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here