General Category > General Discussion

Snow

(1/3) > >>

Crusty:
We've had a pretty good Winter this year, so far as snow is concerned. We were on our way to possibly setting some sort of record for the least amount of total snow accumulation. It hasn't been a drought; almost every time precipitation was heading our way, the temperatures would go up, and we'd get rain and not snow. I was enjoying riding on relatively clear streets, and hoping the trend would continue right into spring, then it could warm up.
That all changed yesterday.
Yesterday, we got a little bit of snow. We only got 7 inches. That in itself isn't enough to worry about, but it's what's coming that's got me grumbling. Monday night, it's supposed to start snowing and it isn't supposed to stop until Wednesday morning. The Weather Proctologist on channel 5 was predicting 24 inches accumulation. To add insult to injury, there's more snow coming on Friday, but that will be a small storm; only 6 - 10 inches according to Intellicast. So, by this time next week, we'll have gotten over three feet of that ugly white crap.
Boy; do I hate Winter.

Here's the obligatory picture of two feet of snow

And this is how I feel

jas67:
I agree with your second picture.   We haven't had a lot of total snow accumulation, but, have had frequent enough ice and or snow to keep the roads thoroughly salted since Jan 3.     It's 37 degrees and the roads are pretty dry right now, considering Friday nights snow, but, still no riding for me, as I don't have any bikes that I'm willing to sacrifice to the salt.   

I got robbed of my planned ride on Jan 2, because my daughter was sick, and I had to stay home with her instead of ride.     So, my last ride was the Dec 26.

So, I'll repeat your statement:

Perazzimx14:

--- Quote from: jas67 on January 25, 2015, 08:12:57 AM ---I agree with your second picture.   We haven't had a lot of total snow accumulation, but, have had frequent enough ice and or snow to keep the roads thoroughly salted since Jan 3.     It's 37 degrees and the roads are pretty dry right now, considering Friday nights snow, but, still no riding for me, as I don't have any bikes that I'm willing to sacrifice to the salt.    

--- End quote ---

This is another reason I got the DR. As long as the road isn't icy I'll ride. I don't care if the DR gets all shitted up with snow, salt, dirt or if it gets dropped. 50/50 tires are also nice with all the stones on the road. Gas and go year round without worrying about the cosmetics.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/124968816@N07/15543780284/

Antietam Classic Cycle:
As "crusty" as my XT500 is, I still won't take it out and get it all crudded up with salt.

Worst thing for me right now is customer bikes that need break-in miles or to be road tested. No way I'm taking any of them out as long as there's crap all over the road.

Does no good to complain about it though. Whatever will be will be. Nothing I can do to change the weather.

jas67:

--- Quote from: Perazzimx14 on January 25, 2015, 08:46:18 AM ---This is another reason I got the DR. As long as the road isn't icy I'll ride. I don't care if the DR gets all shitted up with snow, salt, dirt or if it gets dropped. 50/50 tires are also nice with all the stones on the road. Gas and go year round without worrying about the cosmetics.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/124968816@N07/15543780284/

--- End quote ---

I've got a F650GS that I don't mined getting dirty and grimed up, as I bought it to ride off road, but, salt is another matter.  Dirt and grim wash off, rust doesn't.

Of course, after another month of this shit, I might say f**k it and go ride anyway, and HOPE that I can wash all the salt out of critical areas BEFORE it causes rust.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version