General Category > General Discussion

And yet another bearing race removal problem (blind bearing)

(1/3) > >>

NCAmother:
First of all, I wanted to thank you for  advice on removing my inner race bearings on my transmission shafts!  Eventually we got them out.  Now, I have another problem, I have the outer race of a bearing stuck in the transmission case.  This is the layshaft bearing.  I've used heat (propane), wax, and a blind puller.  It won't budge at all!  The other bearings fell out like butter with the transmission cases heated.  I don't have a good angle with my 1/4" carbide bit on my pneumatic grinder.  At this point, I'm lost and need your ideas!  Otherwise, I might just have to make a stop at the machine shop next week.  Thanks,
Nate

rodekyll:
Put the case in the oven @225ºf for about 15 minutes with the blind race in a droppable position (facing down).  You'll hear the 'tink' when the race falls out.  If you're quick, you can drop the new race in while it's still hot.

NCAmother:

--- Quote from: rodekyll on January 30, 2015, 01:34:34 PM ---Put the case in the oven @225ºf for about 15 minutes with the blind race in a droppable position (facing down).  You'll hear the 'tink' when the race falls out.  If you're quick, you can drop the new race in while it's still hot.

--- End quote ---
Thanks Rodekyll,
I tried that yesterday, but 350f for two hours.  Super warm case!  The bearing still wouldn't budge with a blind puller!  So I took a propane torch while the case was still hot, and heated up the aluminum (boss?) that retains the bearing, with a torch while tapping on the other side of the bearing, but to no avail.  Then I brought out my grinder with a sa-9 carbide bit out of desperation, but I couldn't get a good angle as the front trans case is too deep.  This was probably a good thing I didn't try to cut it!
The previous history of the transmission is that it had been rebuilt 20 years ago.  I'm wondering if they used a liquid bearing retainer? 

rodekyll:
The heat should break any retainer compound.  The other option I can think of, if you can't get a grinder on it, is to use a blind race puller.  These can be bought or rented, or maybe a shop would use theirs for a nominal fee.

NCAmother:
Rodekyll,  how hot should the retaining  bearing be to break the permabond?  I've also tried a blind puller with the heat being applied.  I didn't use anything bigger than a propane torch as I was afraid to mess with the integrity of the aluminum
Dusty, thats a good idea, if I can't get it out by monday I'll go to my supply store and pick up dry ice pellets

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version