General Category > General Discussion

And yet another bearing race removal problem (blind bearing)

<< < (2/3) > >>

rodekyll:
Direct heat from a torch is going to heat the local area much hotter than the oven did.  Usually a quick shot of torch is all it takes to break a loc-tite-type bond, and of course you don't want to apply direct heat in greater temp or time than it takes to do the job.  Is the race staked or peened into its bore?  Is there any evidence of a bonding agent/jb weld/etc having been used?

NCAmother:

--- Quote from: rodekyll on January 30, 2015, 02:31:32 PM ---Direct heat from a torch is going to heat the local area much hotter than the oven did.  Usually a quick shot of torch is all it takes to break a loc-tite-type bond, and of course you don't want to apply direct heat in greater temp or time than it takes to do the job.  Is the race staked or peened into its bore?  Is there any evidence of a bonding agent/jb weld/etc having been used?

--- End quote ---
Rodekyll, where the boss is there is a small channel between the outer race and boss, the size of a small flathead tip.  I did see some powder come out, but not much.  Thats why I'm thinking it might have a retaining compound.  The bearing shows no mark signs of being staked or peened.  Maybe I need a blind puller with a 50lb  slide! :)  Anyways, still perplexed

Curtis Harper:
If you can get to it run a small bead of weld around the inside of the bearing. When the weld cools it will contract the bearing and it should fall out. When I have had the fore thought a few times I remember to put something below the weld so I would have something to pull on if it needed a budge.

NCAmother:
Curtis, I heard of that technique, sounds pretty solid.  Maybe weld a nut in the middle and use a slide hammer too?

canuck750:

--- Quote from: Curtis Harper on January 30, 2015, 03:18:40 PM ---If you can get to it run a small bead of weld around the inside of the bearing. When the weld cools it will contract the bearing and it should fall out. When I have had the fore thought a few times I remember to put something below the weld so I would have something to pull on if it needed a budge.

--- End quote ---
:+1

When all else fails...... this will work

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version