General Category > General Discussion

Annoyingly she does not like starting when she gets hot

(1/3) > >>

jdgretz:
I thought I had this figured out, but sadly no.

The Norge has started being finicky when the dash temperature is reading over 100.  Now last summer when the ambient temp was 105 or higher, there was no issue.  But, if I get stuck in stop and go traffic for a while (like the better part of an hour) and I shut the bike off, she will not restart until the temp gauge drops into the mid to low 90s.  I know it's supposed to be reading the outside air temp, but I'm guessing the temp sensor is reading the heat near the engine.

If it won't start (the dreaded click-no-start) I simply pull out my book and read for about 35 minutes and all is well again.  Very annoying.

I have one of the MPH kits, but mine must be wired wrong as when I installed it, nothing worked and I got a bunch of errors.

Last time this happened (couple of months ago) I found the battery bolts could be tightened up a bit (using a Motobatt MBTX16U rather than the YUASA YTX20CH-BS I had been using) and have not had an issue until yesterday.  I tried tightening the bolts, but they were tight.  The Motobatt is 250 cca vs. 270 for the YUASA.

The on board volt meter shows 12.1v when it decides not to start, going down to 11.x when I punch the button.  After setting a bit, it may show as much as 12.7 when she decides to then fire up.  The voltmeter then show 12.8 or better when running.

Thoughts?

Thanks,

jdg  

Wayne Orwig:

--- Quote from: jdgretz on February 15, 2015, 03:12:29 PM ---I have one of the RPM kits, but mine must be wired wrong as when I installed it, nothing worked and I got a bunch of errors.

--- End quote ---

Do you mean the MPH kit?

When you try to start, do you get just a 'faint' click under the seat? Or a louder CLUNK from the starter.

If a faint click, then you need a Startus Interuptus fix like MPH sold (sells). Or get someone familiar to hand wire a fix. Or you can clean ALL connections, fuses and the ignition switch for a temporary fix. You maybe even clean and lube the solenoid.

jdgretz:
You're right - fat fingers strike again - it's the MPH kit.

Actually I can't hear any click (comes from flying helicopters for the Army for a bunch of years and being a musician), but there is no thunk one would get from the solenoid being activated.

My assumption is that when the engine is hot that it needs more juice to crank (although why I have no idea), and that if the MPH kit worked it might solve my problems.  I'll do a search for Startus Interuptus, as I couldn't find that old thread before.

Thanks,

jdg

Wayne Orwig:

--- Quote from: jdgretz on February 15, 2015, 05:14:29 PM ---Actually I can't hear any click (comes from flying helicopters for the Army for a bunch of years and being a musician), but there is no thunk one would get from the solenoid being activated.

--- End quote ---

Listen carefully under the seat. Maybe even pull off the seat. It is a faint click when you press the start button.
If you aren't even getting that faint relay click under the seat, then it is NOT the startus interruptus.

Chuck in Indiana:

--- Quote ---The on board volt meter shows 12.1v when it decides not to start, going down to 11.x when I punch the button.
--- End quote ---

Sounds like a bad battery to me.

Wayne said

--- Quote ---If a faint click,
--- End quote ---
Are you serious? A helicopter driver/musician??  ;D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version