Author Topic: Introductions thread...Introduce yourself to the group !  (Read 1093173 times)

Bill Hagan

Re: Introductions thread...Introduce yourself to the group !
« Reply #1410 on: August 19, 2014, 10:44:05 AM »
Jumpin' in with both feet.

Chicagoland
Sales rep

Just picked up a 2000 Jackal in ridiculously good condition. Needs absolutely nothin', (but that won't stop me)

I'll have LOTS of questions for you lads over the coming months.

She's got:
a floorboard kit (appears to be HD)
Rich Maund Seat

without further ado

I'll have lots of more better pics as I delve into this, but this is just as an introduction.

Cheers!

No help with your pegs quest, but yours is a very nice Jackal, especially as it is in the proper color for an Italian motorcycle.   ;)

Always loved the simplicity of that model.

I like the stock saddle better, but hard to beat RM quality, and that red piping looks super.

Bill

Offline kidsmoke

• Gaggle Hero
  • It's never too late to be what you might have been
« Reply #1411 on: August 19, 2014, 10:58:10 AM »
No help with your pegs quest, but yours is a very nice Jackal, especially as it is in the proper color for an Italian motorcycle.   ;)
Always loved the simplicity of that model.
I like the stock saddle better, but hard to beat RM quality, and that red piping looks super.
Bill

Thanks Bill. I originally eyeballed a gray or black one, but this one is just pristine, so the color suddenly has new appeal.
I too like the look of the original seat. Fortunately I received the original in the deal, so I can try it out. What I've read here however is that the stock seat leaves a LOT to be desired. I'll give a first..er...hand report after a ride or two. I can tell this seat is well made, firm, and high. I know I can find a home for it if I choose to go back.
'79 G5
'93 1000S
'00 Jackal
'09 GRiSO

Bill Hagan

« Reply #1412 on: August 19, 2014, 11:15:51 AM »

Thanks Bill. I originally eyeballed a gray or black one, but this one is just pristine, so the color suddenly has new appeal.
I too like the look of the original seat. Fortunately I received the original in the deal, so I can try it out. What I've read here however is that the stock seat leaves a LOT to be desired. I'll give a first..er...hand report after a ride or two. I can tell this seat is well made, firm, and high. I know I can find a home for it if I choose to go back.

The black and gray are nice, too, but, ah, red.   :D

As for saddle, don't go by me.  I think after several years in the Guzzi world that I am about the ONLY person who likes the stock EV and similar saddles.  Maybe I have no nerves on my bottom end  ::), but I do not care for cushy rides, but prefer the firmer saddles that came with the machines. 

Besides, if function were not enough, at least IMO, the stock saddles look perfect on the Calis.  After all, with due deference to Rich Maund -- who is a genius with his hands in such things -- the Italians who designed the stock one knew what they were doing to combine form and function into moto-art.

Best,

Bill

190 Octane

« Reply #1413 on: August 20, 2014, 04:28:44 PM »

Planning to pull the floorboard kit and put the pegs back. I've got the pegs, but not the peg mounts. If anyone has a set or can point me in that direction, lemme know.
without further ado

That is one clean Jackal.  The floor board kit looks like the one from MG Cycle.

I'm guessing its not much different than Harper's kit ,which retains the original peg mounts. 

One of the peg mounts is used for the pivot on the shifter, its that little silver piece in your picture. 

The one on the brakes side doesn't really do anything, but is likely still there.  You can see the bolt head capping it off here.

Here's the instructions for Harper's kit.

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #1413 on: August 20, 2014, 04:28:44 PM »

Offline kidsmoke

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #1414 on: August 22, 2014, 08:24:24 AM »
Very cool 190, thanks for that info. The bike is an hour away waiting for plates. I'll take a look at that tomorrow when I go to make it legal. That would be a nice surprise. It would make sense that those are MG boards, as every other aftermarket item seems to be (windshield, backrest). It was a Harley guy that assumed/recalled they looked "exactly" like a set he had.....

Cheers!
'79 G5
'93 1000S
'00 Jackal
'09 GRiSO

190 Octane

« Reply #1415 on: August 22, 2014, 10:37:36 AM »
The floor boards themselves may be the same as on Harleys, it's the custom mount that adapts them to the stock peg location.  I believe even the OEM Guzzi floorboards interchange with Harleys.

Offline jumpmaster

• Gosling
« Reply #1416 on: August 22, 2014, 04:25:19 PM »
Jumpin' in with both feet.

Planning to pull the floorboard kit and put the pegs back. I've got the pegs, but not the peg mounts. If anyone has a set or can point me in that direction, lemme know.

I wasn't going to say anything, but the floorboard comments keep on flying in so I decided to add my 2 cents:  IMO, don't be too quick to toss the floorboards, depending on what kind of riding you plan on doing or you have a compulsion to take the bike back to completely stock appearance.  If you do much riding longer than local commutes &/or errands, the floorboards & heel/toe shifter can actually be a nice modification.  Again, depending on how you ride, they may not significantly limit cornering for the more sporting rides either.  I'd recommend leaving them on for awhile just to see what you think.  Judging by the pictures, they don't seem to detract from the bike's appearance, especially since it is styled as a "cruiser" otherwise.
JC
90 Mille GT (sold), 73 Eldorado, 75 Norton Commando, 46 Whizzer, 13 Harley Road Glide

Offline kidsmoke

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #1417 on: August 22, 2014, 05:40:02 PM »
Good council, and I'm not taking a wrench to it quite yet. I'll put some miles on her tomorrow with the boards. The luxury here is I have options without dropping a dime, and I intend to take advantage of that. In other news, the seller located the peg mounts, so I've got everything I need to be fickle and indecisive, all, at no extra cost. Win!

'79 G5
'93 1000S
'00 Jackal
'09 GRiSO

Offline mulehill

• New Egg
« Reply #1418 on: August 24, 2014, 11:48:51 AM »
Hello Guzzi folks. I am happy to join the group. Joe, 49 in Milwaukee, WI working as an IT consultant. After 30 years of BMWs I recently traded my R1200GSA for a 2014 V7 Stone. I'm having the time of my live riding it and have no regrets in passing on the GS. A couple years ago I shed 80 lbs, and have wanted a smaller bike ever since. So two weeks ago I shed maybe 150 lbs and 50 HP with my motorcycle. Below are pics of the V7 prior to de-stickering it and the mods I made to lower the foot pegs.

Eccentric folding foot pieces to go with the lowered foot pegs from Guzzi Tech. https://www.woodcraft-cfm.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=08-7899A

BigKev

Introductions thread...Introduce yourself to the group !
« Reply #1419 on: August 24, 2014, 01:42:11 PM »
Kevin Mullens

Waco TX USA

42 years old, 4 kids

Nurse

Hobbies: (when I'm not utterly tied up and broke from all the kids) motorcycles, shooting, fishing, outdoor goodies, watching crap British car shows on tv.

Current bike: '72 BMW R75/5

Prior bikes:
1992 BMW K75RT
1980 Guzzi v50
1989 BMW R80GSPD
Suzuki RGV500
Suzuki GSXR1100
Suzuki GSX550ESD
Suzuki GN250
Suzuki TS250
Yamaha DT250

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blue

« Reply #1420 on: August 26, 2014, 08:13:10 AM »
Hello.

Ian - 50 - UK - Been known to shout at some car drivers.
Like summer eves, smell of fresh cut grass, bonfires, sun on my back, fresh spring mornings, empty twisty roads, optimism, Smell of 2-stroke racing oil, decent films, books, meat/steaks, roast potatoes, fresh cool clear water, smell of a pine forest, seafood, Peroni, snorkling, mountain biking [ though i cannot locate a mountain near me, nor could i get up it on a bike ]

Just got this :

Me

« Last Edit: August 26, 2014, 02:41:00 PM by Blue »

bmacneil2008

« Reply #1421 on: August 26, 2014, 12:47:50 PM »
Very nice! I really like the 'cleaner' front end headlight assembly on the Griso as compared to my Stelvio. I assume I could recreate but you know how mods can go, the weekend project becomes my cycle shops next service payday :)

Offline Jturquette

• New Egg
« Reply #1422 on: August 26, 2014, 03:35:27 PM »
Hello All.

Jonathan Turquette in Houston, TX. I'm an Engineer working for Mustang Engineering (or Wood Group Mustang).  Just purchased a red 2007 Breva 1100.

Ride Safe

CMD

« Reply #1423 on: August 27, 2014, 07:40:39 PM »
Hi everyone
Christian here and a recent Triumph Tiger 1050 convert.  Got the MG Norge 1200 8VGT for touring. 
Based in Toronto, Canada and just returned from a tour of the Allegheny National Park in PA.

Toured a lot in Europe (England, Scotland, Wales, France, Germany, Holland, Belgium, etc) as well as in Colorado, Arkansas and the Blue Ridge Parkway - so any questions please ask and I will try and help.

Offline jbell

• Gaggle Mentor
  • Some progress
« Reply #1424 on: August 28, 2014, 09:35:34 AM »
Hey, Kevin.  Welcome to the forum.  I'm just down the road a bit in Georgetown.  My daily driver is a '92 K75RT.  Working (slowly) on bringing a '78 G5 back to life.  4 kids??  Where do you get the strength to ride a bike?  Cheers.........Jack .
'75 Ducati 860 GT  On the road
'76 Guzzi T3   Future project
'78 Guzzi G5  Current project
'81 Guzzi G5  Organ donor
'92 BMW K75RT  On the road
'16 Triumph Thruxton R  "Holy Moly"  Gone but not forgotten, sigh.

"Be yourself, everyone else is taken".......Oscar Wilde

Dionysius

« Reply #1425 on: August 28, 2014, 09:01:57 PM »
Greetings from San Diego. Been a lurker for a long time, but I bought a 2013 V7 Stone today, white. Pick it up tomorrow. Rode a Convert in the late 70s, the one with the 2 speed auto tranny. Lots of nice roads here in San Diego County and beyond.

Denis
« Last Edit: August 29, 2014, 05:46:36 PM by Dionysius »

Bill Hagan

« Reply #1426 on: August 29, 2014, 09:56:23 AM »
Very nice! I really like the 'cleaner' front end headlight assembly on the Griso as compared to my Stelvio. I assume I could recreate but you know how mods can go, the weekend project becomes my cycle shops next service payday :)

That is really funny.   ;D

But it makes me tear a bit at the truth of it.   :'(  ;)

Bill

Dionysius

« Reply #1427 on: August 29, 2014, 05:22:30 PM »
Got my V7 Stone home safe and sound. It's been a while since I've ridden on two wheels, felt great. Tomorrow de-sticker bike and RTFM.

Denis
« Last Edit: August 29, 2014, 05:46:58 PM by Dionysius »

CMD

« Reply #1428 on: August 30, 2014, 10:01:36 AM »
HI everyone
recent Triumph convert with a 2013 Norge 1200 GT8V.  Located in Toronto, ON and looking forward to some touring. 

Offline Stormtruck2

• AKA Scotch and Cigars
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Geese Fly in a Proper V
« Reply #1429 on: August 30, 2014, 10:19:58 AM »
Welcome!! The Norge 8V are great touring bikes, and really put the sport in sport touring. ENJOY!!
If you wish to know what a man is, place in him authority.
False accusations reflect more on the accuser than the accused.
They can take everything from you, including your life, except your honor and integrity.  That you must give away.
Do or don't do. There is no try.
μολὼν λαβέ-molṑn labé

Brozza

« Reply #1430 on: September 01, 2014, 08:13:35 AM »
Hi all, I'm Bryan Farrow, 55 of Burnie, Tasmania.
I'm an armature winder and have been winding and redesigning AC and DC motors, generators and transformers from frac. H.P. up to 8,000 H.P and 11,000 volts, since 1975.
Been into m/c's since I was 16 and have had a few dirt and road bikes in that time including a couple of Guzzi 850 Le Mans'. There's a list on a separate post.
I've also got to consider myself very fortunate living in, what a lot of fellow Aussies consider, motorcycling nirvana - Tasmania!
My main interests, apart from the missus, are m/c's, music, science fiction and West Ham United FC.
I'm also a reasonably dab amateur hand at Guzzi mechanicals, having done all my own servicing work on both Guzzi's and a total rebuild from alternator to drive-box on my Mk3 Le Mans, which my brother now owns and which has so far has proven to be reliable in the 8 or 9 years that he's had it.

Offline BigBlock

• New Egg
« Reply #1431 on: September 02, 2014, 03:37:36 PM »
Hello everyone, Dave from southern British Columbia, Canada. Been riding since 1970, some singles, twins but mostly inline 4's. Purchased my first Guzzi last year, a 2012 Norge. Love it.
Been lurking on the forum for a while, finally thought I should get on board. Lots of great people and info.
A few pics of bike.

2012 GT 8V Norge
2001 V11 Sport
2014 KTM 1290 Super Duke

"Illegitimi non carborundum"

Eddose

« Reply #1432 on: September 05, 2014, 03:20:04 PM »

Ed, From Utah here.   Hi to all.   

Offline Spuddy

• Gaggle Hero
  • Best Thing About A Mind Is Being Able To Change It
« Reply #1433 on: September 06, 2014, 01:53:03 PM »
KID:

Clean machine. Welcome

Spuddy
'13 Stelvio NTX
'07 California Vintage
'01 W650
'00 Quota 1100ES + Ural

Offline Spuddy

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #1434 on: September 06, 2014, 01:59:49 PM »
BIGBLOCK:

Love the Norge. I'll give ya $1,500 [US] sight unseen...

Spuiddy
'13 Stelvio NTX
'07 California Vintage
'01 W650
'00 Quota 1100ES + Ural

Offline Spuddy

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #1435 on: September 06, 2014, 02:01:20 PM »
HOWDY, ALL...

Spuddy
'13 Stelvio NTX
'07 California Vintage
'01 W650
'00 Quota 1100ES + Ural

deadhead

« Reply #1436 on: September 07, 2014, 09:16:18 PM »
Hello all,
Daniel Colonna from Rockwall TX
41 two children 4, 9
Used Car dealer (somebody has to)
Fell in love with the Eldorado ten years ago, almost fully restored.  This close to a new V7 need to make room in the Garage.

Offline Muzz

• Gaggle Hero
  • On the backside of the planet.
« Reply #1437 on: September 09, 2014, 01:28:41 AM »
Great to see all these new Guzzista. ;-T

You will find that there are times you will want to tear your hair out (if you have any  ;D) but you will find Guzzis TOTALLY addictive (for better or for worse :D)

This really is a great site with some really great addicts on it ;-T.

Welcome.  :bike
Muzz. Cristchurch, New Zealand
03 Breva

Life is just a bowl of Allbran
Ya wake up in the morning and it's there

Dieter Langhart

« Reply #1438 on: September 11, 2014, 02:06:06 PM »
Hello to everyone

I'm Dieter from Switzerland, 58.

I had been riding a white California II ('83) for fifteen years before she broke down at the age of 160'000 kilometres (half of them with me on the saddle). Had to get a ' new' one ('85), black though, and I'm happy again.
On my bike I've been to most European countries, mostly on my own and mainly in the Balkans, the Pyrenees and French and Italian Alps.

I used to be a teacher, now I'm a journalist and work as an editor for a local newspaper.
I'm much into photography, travelling, hiking, I read a lot (books rather than newspapers).

Offline jumpmaster

• Gosling
« Reply #1439 on: September 11, 2014, 02:48:32 PM »
Hello Deter!   Ooooo, I'm jealous!  About 10 years ago I spent 7 months in Bosnia & Croatia, with a little time in Hungary, too.  I drove a military SUV (no, not a Hmmwv) about 10k miles in that time, and about 98% of the time I was wishing I was on 2 wheels instead of 4.

Welcome to the group.
JC
90 Mille GT (sold), 73 Eldorado, 75 Norton Commando, 46 Whizzer, 13 Harley Road Glide

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
Best quality vinyl available today. Easy application.
Advertise Here

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here