Author Topic: Can't adjust to bodywork/fairings  (Read 2832 times)

Rough Edge racing

Can't adjust to bodywork/fairings
« on: March 30, 2019, 01:58:37 PM »
  I got the 98 Ducati ST2 last year for longer trips...I have been riding the bike and...I don't feel right with the bodywork..It makes me feel "not in control" Somehow it's interfering with my perception of the bike and where it is on the road..It's very uncomfortable, I just suppose after 45 years of naked frame bike , can't adjust to it........It's a fine handling machine but I'm much happier on the old 900 Monster or the 79 Triumph....Bye Bye ST2

Online Frenchfrog

• Gaggle Mentor
Re: Can't adjust to bodywork/fairings
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2019, 02:47:09 PM »
I'm the same ...had a  spada fairing on the T3 for long trips but it came off and was swapped very quickly...hated the wind noise and also not being able to see downwards to the front.My 650 NTX also has a small fairing and I can't get used to that either .....soon it's going to be rebuilt with a normal headlight and clocks.

oldbike54

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2019, 03:13:43 PM »
 If you are traveling faster than 10 MPH why are you looking right in front of the motorbike ?

Dusty

Offline Kiwi Dave

• Gaggle Hero
    • Guzzi Gander Ltd
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2019, 03:19:16 PM »
I felt the same with my Norge.  I liked the extra 100ccs, but much preferred to ride my Breva.

Later, I indulged in 1200 Sports, the best of both worlds.

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2019, 03:19:16 PM »

Offline ohiorider

• Gaggle Hero
  • "You can't fight in here - this is the War Room."
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2019, 03:31:57 PM »
I felt the same with my Norge.  I liked the extra 100ccs, but much preferred to ride my Breva.

Later, I indulged in 1200 Sports, the best of both worlds.
The 1200 Sport just works!
Main ride:  2008 Guzzi 1200 Sport (sold July 2020)
2012 Griso 8v SE (sold Sept '15)
Reliable standby: 1991 BMW R100GS
2014 Honda CB1100 (Traded Nov 2019)
New:  2016 Triumph T120 (Traded Dec 2021)
New:  2021 Kawasaki W800

Offline Perazzimx14

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2019, 03:38:30 PM »
I guess that's why they make both faired and naked motorcycles.
2021 Moto Guzzi V85TT Guardia D'onore
2017 V7 III Carbon Dark #0008 of 1921
2017 Road Glide Special
2020 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2016 Suzuki Van Van 200

Rough Edge racing

« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2019, 03:50:41 PM »
Ok, we all must suffer from "fairing disorder"

Online Frenchfrog

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2019, 05:05:04 PM »
If you are traveling faster than 10 MPH why are you looking right in front of the motorbike ?

Dusty
It's precisely at low speeds when manouvering that it disturbed me .I guess one would get used to it if the benefit was perceived...for me it wasn't as I also hated the wind noise so I gt rid of it.

oldbike54

« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2019, 05:10:25 PM »
It's precisely at low speeds when manouvering that it disturbed me .I guess one would get used to it if the benefit was perceived...for me it wasn't as I also hated the wind noise so I gt rid of it.

Bad fairing design . Life is much quieter behind a properly designed fairing . I literally never *see* the fairing , even at walking speeds I am focused out at least 10 feet .

Dusty

Offline chuck peterson

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2019, 05:15:24 PM »
I got that once...cal 111 full fairing...I was in lust w the look and colors, but...no downward peripheral view of the road below me for, I don't know, 8-15 feet? A glance downward still didn't help....it was like my orientation was off without road showing below me....missing a dimension to orient for vertical, or some such bullshite.....it was a sit up straight tourer, not a sportier st2 type bike
"I'd like to thank all my friends who have kept my Guzzi's going, but mostly...TOMB."
150k on Verts
750 Nevada
400f
R5 Yammie
BV250
4x 1976 Moto Demm Smily,, now 5, oops now 6, oops now 7
1980 SP1000 in little bits and pieces

Rough Edge racing

« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2019, 07:56:20 PM »
Bad fairing design . Life is much quieter behind a properly designed fairing . I literally never *see* the fairing , even at walking speeds I am focused out at least 10 feet .

Dusty

The ST2 has a nicely designed fairing. In the sport touring posture the wind is directed over my head, the faring isn't exactly in my line of vision ..but...I just don't like it...There was some wind today and it does grab the bike more than my naked 96 Monster.. It changes the sounds and feel so it disrupts  disrupts how I ride..I'm not hearing the tire on pavement when I brake hard.Or sensing speed by the wind on my helmet...And the fairing seems confining.. But it's not all bad...A brief rain shower ,I din't get wet  :thumb:

oldbike54

« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2019, 08:02:49 PM »
The ST2 has a nicely designed fairing. In the sport touring posture the wind is directed over my head, the faring isn't exactly in my line of vision ..but...I just don't like it...There was some wind today and it does grab the bike more than my naked 96 Monster.. It changes the sounds and feel so it disrupts  disrupts how I ride..I'm not hearing the tire on pavement when I brake hard.Or sensing speed by the wind on my helmet...And the fairing seems confining.. But it's not all bad...A brief rain shower ,I din't get wet  :thumb:

You won't really appreciate a good fairing until experiencing wild temperature swings in one day , rain , and big bugs . All part of long distance touring. Like a friend said a few years ago , "never knew I wanted a fairing until we rode to Utah in one day" .

Offline Gliderjohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2019, 07:06:42 AM »
Rode for 13 years w/o a fairing or windscreen. Installed a SP upper on my T-3 and WOW! Been kicking my ass for going without one for those 23 years. Concerning the Norge the fairing does do some uncomfortable things with side winds at times such as dope slapping my helmet, but the rest of the time it is really nice. First time got caught in a short but fairly heavy rain on the Norge w/o rain gear, my hemet, last two fingers on my hands and the tops of my shoulders were all that got wet traveling between 40-60 mph.
GliderJohn
John Peters
East Mountains, NM

Offline centauro

• Gosling
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2019, 09:07:15 PM »

Dusty

A few years ago, I decided to remove the fairing and lowers from my Sp1000 to transform it into a naked design, mostly as a T-3. It took only a few rides to notice how unstable and noisy it had become, even with the steering damper adjusted for more force. So, I installed a medium-height universal mount Slipstreamer S-18 clear screen to regain the lost stability. Better, but not by much, and definitely more wind noise than naked. The SP fairing is back on, now, and is never coming off again; the bike again feels like it is on rails, and no wind, no matter the direction or speed is affecting its stability. The damper is back to minimal setting for quick maneuvering in slow areas, and it is so quiet behind that screen.

Guzzi definitely knew what they were doing in designing this bike in their now famous wind tunnel....
Val Barone
1984 1000 SP/NT (sold)
1973 Benelli 650S Tornado (sold)
1985 Vespa PX150E
1973 Honda CB 350 Four

Learn from other's mistakes ; you won't live long enough to make them all yourself.  Eleanor Roosevelt

Online Frenchfrog

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2019, 05:14:16 AM »
Interesting....as I said I went the other way by installing the much vaunted guzzi SP fairing and didn't like it at all ! Shows that we all have different perceptions and experiences.I was expecting to love it and experience showed that it didn't suit me .....

Offline mechanicsavant

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2019, 08:06:26 AM »
Yup, I too have fairing disorder. Tried numerous bikes ,it still bothers me.
So I've been riding w/some sort of windscreen and have added hand guards in recent years.

Offline zebraranger

• Gosling
« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2019, 08:17:29 AM »
Damn, I must be the abnormal one. I like bikes with fairings, especially on longer higher speed road trips. I have both naked and fairing bikes and I like the standard bikes for around town use, but love the weather & wind protection of a bike with fairings. Never had any problems going from one to the other.

Offline rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
« Reply #17 on: April 01, 2019, 08:28:39 AM »

I put quite a few miles on an ST2, twenty years ago.  Loved the fairing.  It worked, like the Sport 1100's fairing works.

Windscreen is low and out of the line of sight.  Really no issue at all.

I can say that on bikes with larger fairings, I get that feeling and don't like it.  But that's more in the BMW-RT sized bikes with taller windscreens.
Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea
2004 California EV Touring II
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." - Theodore Roosevelt

Offline Sheepdog

• Gaggle Hero
  • 2007 Moto Guzzi California Vintage
« Reply #18 on: April 01, 2019, 08:33:43 AM »
I know the feeling. The first time I rode a bike with a frame-mounted fairing, everything did feel off. The headlight didn't turn with the handlebars, I couldn't see the front wheel, and wind hit some familiar parts, but not others. It was foreign, disconcerting, and a change to something I liked.

However, I tried various fairings over the years and really learned to appreciate them. Weather protection is the main reason. Rain and cold can take the fun out of a ride, but bodywork makes it easier to take. It also protects the bike. I suppose that if I only made short trips a naked bike would be fine, but my favorite rides are measured by days and weeks...
"Change is inevitable. Growth is optional." John C. Maxwell

Offline jpv7

• Gosling
« Reply #19 on: April 01, 2019, 10:59:24 AM »
  I got the 98 Ducati ST2 last year for longer trips...I have been riding the bike and...I don't feel right with the bodywork..It makes me feel "not in control" Somehow it's interfering with my perception of the bike and where it is on the road..It's very uncomfortable, I just suppose after 45 years of naked frame bike , can't adjust to it........It's a fine handling machine but I'm much happier on the old 900 Monster or the 79 Triumph....Bye Bye ST2

Did you try to remove it for maintenance yet?  Horrible design - hated the one on my ST4s for that reason...Battery removal required that all of it (front included) had to come off, mirrors too.  They were blaming it on Terblanche...self tapping screws on a fairing, really??

Offline xackley

• Gosling
« Reply #20 on: April 01, 2019, 12:36:27 PM »
my 1982 goldwing has a Vetter fairing. It is like a wall with a picture window. Once the windshield was trimmed to the proper height it is a great all weather set up. You are dry unless you have to stop.  Lots of builtin storage. It is the perfect ugly fairing. If the goldwing didn't feel twice as heavy without the personality of  my EV, I might not be posting here.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2019, 12:40:56 PM by xackley »
1958 R69 BMW, 1972 R75/5, 1980 yamaha XS650, 1982 GL1100, 2003 EV, 2007 Triumph America and 2017 V7!!!
All on the road, going nowhere in particular.

Offline Tusayan

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #21 on: April 01, 2019, 04:51:25 PM »
Did you try to remove it for maintenance yet?  Horrible design - hated the one on my ST4s for that reason...Battery removal required that all of it (front included) had to come off, mirrors too.  They were blaming it on Terblanche...self tapping screws on a fairing, really??

The ST Ducati fairing is assembled with button head allen screws into brass/rubber threaded wellnuts.  No self tapping screws are used.   Battery removal does indeed begin with inner fairing panel and mirror removal.  The fairing design is poor, obviously done in CAD with the objective of straightforward assembly, but without regard for battery service which as a result requires the whole thing to come off again.  The only other designs I’ve seen that are as bad for battery access are BMWs with the battery under the fuel tank.  The quasi-solution for the ST is a no-service AGM battery with a charger harness used whenever the bike is stored.   Oil and filter changes are less problematic so if battery service is avoided the fairing only needs to come off for scheduled (valve etc) service.  In that case you need to take it all off anyway so the ease of partial removal is not so important.

I think the fairing design was a Terblanche-led screwup as other 90s era Ducatis designed by Tamburini at CRC have exceptionally easy maintenance access, by design.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2019, 04:54:34 PM by Tusayan »

Offline jpv7

• Gosling
« Reply #22 on: April 01, 2019, 08:15:38 PM »
Sorry got confused with the 1999 900ss Terblance re-design which wasn't well liked.  It used self tappers for the fairing air ducts to cool the rear cylinder. 

Yes - my 1997 900ss and 1995 916 fairings were excellent designs!

Rough Edge racing

« Reply #23 on: April 02, 2019, 05:38:31 AM »
 My ST2 has a AGM battery and remote charging terminal....The only sheetmetal screw fasteners a small trim piece inside under the windscreen...Howeve r the small trim piece must be removed to get at the radiator fill and fuses..
  During the winter I removed the the complete fairing..Pulled both heads and cylinders to seal oil weeps.Replaced timing belts and checked valve clearances. Pulled the left side cover to make an update to alternator cooling...All this was straight forward with engine in chassis..
  A potential buyer is coming tomorrow and bringing a trailer....I bought the bike thinking about longer trips but forgetting I have never taken a long bike trip in 45 years because I don't care for sitting all day....A very bike but I won't miss it..
  I bought a used Sargent seat for my 96 900 Monster .. Much more comfortable for me and good for a few hours ride..

Dressed up in just the upper fairing..

« Last Edit: April 02, 2019, 05:43:47 AM by Rough Edge racing »

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here