Author Topic: What is it like to ride a 43 year old motorcycle?  (Read 7953 times)

Offline Denis

• Gaggle Mentor
  • Information is not knowledge.
Re: What is it like to ride a 43 year old motorcycle?
« Reply #30 on: July 10, 2017, 09:53:47 AM »
This one is 77 and going strong!

« Last Edit: July 10, 2017, 09:54:23 AM by Denis »
Show me a Le Mans IV and I'll show you a Le Mans 1000.
'87 SPII, '74 Eldorado, '85 LeMans, '91 California, '71 Ducati 450 RT, '41 Indian 841, '40 Indian Model 640-B ex-Canadian Army

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #31 on: July 10, 2017, 11:17:43 AM »
This one is 77 and going strong!

Wow!  You don't LOOK 77!   Must be a good climate there ....   :wink:
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

Offline lrutt

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #32 on: July 10, 2017, 02:22:56 PM »
I have a 73 Commando 850 that is all original (around 6k miles I think) except for the Amal Premier slides. Still runs points etc. They are truly an impressive machine. No other bike I have pulls in the mid range like that Commando does. I've not converted any of my bikes from points to EI. Never had a problem with points but I do keep the advancers lubed etc. and I don't put a lot of miles on the old bikes as I have several that I ride regularly. It is amazing how usable bikes from the 70's are. I can say that Norton is a challenge to kick start. Always starts in 1 or 2 but I have to put it on the center stand and put my weight into it. My Triumph 650s are much much easier. Of course the Lemans is even easier  :grin:
06 HD Sporty, 06 Tri Scram, 01 Duc M900, 01 Hon XR650L, 94 HD Heritage, 88 Hon Hawk GT, 84 Yam Virago, 82 Hon C70, 78 Hon CB750k w/sidecar, 76 Hon CB750k, 77 Guzzi Lemans, 73 Norton 850, 73 Hon Z50, 71 Tri Trophy, 70 Tri Tiger, 70 Hon CT90, 71 Yam RT1 360, 65 Hon 305 Dream, 70 Suz T250, 64 Hon CT200

Offline Denis

• Gaggle Mentor
  • Information is not knowledge.
« Reply #33 on: July 11, 2017, 07:50:58 AM »
Wow!  You don't LOOK 77!   Must be a good climate there ....   :wink:

Ha! The bike probably looks better than I do but I'm sure it's enjoying today's roads as much as I am!
Show me a Le Mans IV and I'll show you a Le Mans 1000.
'87 SPII, '74 Eldorado, '85 LeMans, '91 California, '71 Ducati 450 RT, '41 Indian 841, '40 Indian Model 640-B ex-Canadian Army

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #33 on: July 11, 2017, 07:50:58 AM »

Offline cruzziguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #34 on: July 11, 2017, 04:55:31 PM »
I have a 73 Commando 850 that is all original (around 6k miles I think) except for the Amal Premier slides. Still runs points etc. They are truly an impressive machine. No other bike I have pulls in the mid range like that Commando does. I've not converted any of my bikes from points to EI. Never had a problem with points but I do keep the advancers lubed etc. and I don't put a lot of miles on the old bikes as I have several that I ride regularly. It is amazing how usable bikes from the 70's are. I can say that Norton is a challenge to kick start. Always starts in 1 or 2 but I have to put it on the center stand and put my weight into it. My Triumph 650s are much much easier. Of course the Lemans is even easier  :grin:

I think that sums up the difference between "original" and "modernized" owners. My original had eventually become a daily driver upon which I would loved to have depended but could not, in the wildly varying climate of Massachusetts.

Later, on the second one - though not a depended upon transport - I integrated EVERY modernization which came down the pike and was seldom disappointed by the effect (early Boyers comes to mind as pissing me off) and loved to contemplate having these upgrades available on the first Norton. I'd likely never have sold it. The second one, while exceptionally reliable and fun just did not have the nostalgic pull for me and went down the road.

Todd.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2017, 04:55:55 PM by cruzziguzzi »
Todd
07 Calvin            77 TT500
95 Sport 1100      04 Breva 750
82 Katana           79 GS850G
72 "Crud"dorado
03 Barely Davidson 883 Huggy
Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top.

Offline JoeW

• Gaggle Hero
    • The Guzzi Doctor
« Reply #35 on: July 11, 2017, 06:41:13 PM »
I don't see what the big deal is, my newest bike is 41 years old and my daily driver is 46. But I guess it's a big deal for a Brit bike to still be running at that age. 😁

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Joe Walano

Offline Chesterfield

• Hatchling
« Reply #36 on: July 11, 2017, 07:35:32 PM »
Those are gorgeous! How about some Guzzi`s please

Offline Arizona Wayne

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #37 on: July 11, 2017, 08:58:38 PM »
My wife & I rode a `71 757cc Ambassador both with and without a sidecar over about 15 years but sold it about 9 years ago.   Over time it felt old compared to the newer Guzzis we have owned.  But it still did the job.  :bow:  It had 60 hp whereas my `04 750 Breva only has 48 hp.  :huh:

Offline Yukonica

• Gaggle Hero
    • Borealbreeze Bernese Mountain Dogs
« Reply #38 on: July 11, 2017, 09:20:43 PM »
Old bikes and old racers at Goodwood Revival 2016
A 1933 Rudge running along Norton Manx (what is the plural of Manx?).
First in race one, third in race two... a'la SuperBike format  :grin:

https://youtu.be/TfPVPGtjMm4
One may write one's destiny but the unknown delivers it.

oldbike54

« Reply #39 on: July 11, 2017, 09:36:41 PM »
 Plural is Manx , because there is only one Island , if you are referring to the cat , it would be cats  :laugh: For the motorbikes it is Nortons Manx  :rolleyes:

Dusty

Offline Yukonica

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #40 on: July 11, 2017, 09:57:03 PM »
Plural is Manx , because there is only one Island , if you are referring to the cat , it would be cats  :laugh: For the motorbikes it is Nortons Manx  :rolleyes:

Dusty

:thumb:
smart arse.

Offline jumpmaster

• Gosling
« Reply #41 on: July 11, 2017, 10:17:15 PM »
The INOA national Norton rally is in a couple weeks at Buena Vista Virginia, so I'll be riding/camping there on the Norton just to see what other Norton riders have got, and what they've done to make their bikes "regular riders".

Lannis

Look me up while you're there (Jumpmaster here, JC most everywhere else) - I should be working the registration desk Monday morning 8 - ?, probably other mornings too, and will be around all week.  Taking my Mille there becuz I haven't finished rebuilding the Norton top end.  Should have been done months ago, but life intervened....
JC
90 Mille GT (sold), 73 Eldorado, 75 Norton Commando, 46 Whizzer, 13 Harley Road Glide

Offline Chesterfield

• Hatchling
« Reply #42 on: July 11, 2017, 10:30:35 PM »
Oh yeah?  :cheesy:  Well, I'm prepping my 56 year old motorcycle for a ride to Ohio, then the Reliability Run, and the ride home, 1000 mile weekend or so in a few weeks.   (Some Cannonball Run rider will be along in a few minutes to top that ...  :rolleyes: )

Some of these old bikes can turn in performance and reliability numbers that new ones might be proud of .... It'd be interesting to have a real "road test" comparison between a V700 and a R60/2, speaking of 50 year old bikes ....

Lannis

That would be super interesting!

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #43 on: July 12, 2017, 07:21:17 AM »
Look me up while you're there (Jumpmaster here, JC most everywhere else) - I should be working the registration desk Monday morning 8 - ?, probably other mornings too, and will be around all week.  Taking my Mille there becuz I haven't finished rebuilding the Norton top end.  Should have been done months ago, but life intervened....

Well, you're the guy to ask then!    I preregistered for only two camping days, but what I want to do now is go ahead and set up camp on Monday morning and break camp on Friday.    Can I go ahead when I get there and pay for the two additional days?   

Don't know how the camping setup is done on the upper side of the campground .... sites or an open area?

Lannis 
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

Offline JoeW

• Gaggle Hero
    • The Guzzi Doctor
« Reply #44 on: July 12, 2017, 08:54:25 AM »
Plural is Manx , because there is only one Island , if you are referring to the cat , it would be cats  [emoji23] For the motorbikes it is Nortons Manx  :rolleyes:

Dusty
Here's a 44 year old Guzzi that is 6 for 6 first place wins so far this season.

Joe Walano

Offline JoeW

• Gaggle Hero
    • The Guzzi Doctor
« Reply #45 on: July 12, 2017, 08:56:34 AM »
I have videos but, can't post them from my phone. So, here's an action shot

Joe Walano

Offline Yukonica

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #46 on: July 14, 2017, 12:29:57 AM »
I have videos but, can't post them from my phone. So, here's an action shot

That is the coolest thing I've seen all day. May I use it as a screen saver on my computer at work?
A beautiful machine, team work, and a sense of style. Doesn't get much better.
Have you posted video on youtube? I'd love to see it.

oldbike54

« Reply #47 on: July 14, 2017, 12:39:01 AM »
 Very cool Joe  :thumb:

Dusty

Offline Aaron D.

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #48 on: July 14, 2017, 06:16:26 AM »
Gee all this Norton love. My friend in NC is selling his completely sorted Commando, had it for maybe 20 years. Yellow, too. Nice bike..should be a good deal.

He's keeping the V7 Racer and Roamer.

Offline JoeW

• Gaggle Hero
    • The Guzzi Doctor
« Reply #49 on: July 14, 2017, 07:31:55 AM »
That is the coolest thing I've seen all day. May I use it as a screen saver on my computer at work?
A beautiful machine, team work, and a sense of style. Doesn't get much better.
Have you posted video on youtube? I'd love to see it.
You can go to my channel The Guzzi Doctor and there are 3 videos. Also This a 360 view from Gingerman several weeks ago. Move the pic around to veiw all angles.. https://youtu.be/80ASmNORXVA

Joe Walano

Offline guzzisteve

• Gaggle Hero
  • "Just Ride It"
« Reply #50 on: July 14, 2017, 08:27:33 AM »
They should use that video of Erick for sidecar training, you have to move your butt to go around quickly.
"Pray through Carlo & your bike shall be healed"

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here