Author Topic: What happens when your electric car runs out of juice out in the country?  (Read 15283 times)

Offline Arizona Wayne

• Gaggle Hero
If an electric car can't do the "Last gasoline for 100 miles." stretch from Beatty, NV to Tonopah, NV.  They're not worth the money until they can do that with the lights on and ac blowing plus moving at 70+ mph.   :shocked:

Well if it's in mid September, 2017, they wouldn't need the AC on, heater on partly instead,  and it would still all be uphill.  :grin:   Maybe going the other way  (downhill) they could make it.  :undecided:  But then they'd have to layover to recharge the batteries.  :evil:  City slickers need not apply.  :azn:

Offline M0T0Geezer

• Gaggle Mentor
    • The Ones I Rode
No Problemo, Young Unicorn:
  • Ya just calls an electric tow truck, or,
  • Ya just tows a trailer & generator behind your Pious, or,
  • Ya just makes sure you're smart enuff ta charge 'er all the up before leaving... or,
  • Ya just buys a gas car in the first place.

2007 Moto Guzzi Norge 1200 USA

My 65+ years of motorcycling here:

http://www.dansher.com/mywheels.htm

Wisdom from the road:

http://www.dansher.com/bikequotes.html

Play guitar or keyboard?  You will like:

http://www.dansher.com/audio/pdf_tunes.html

Offline Tom

• Gaggle Hero

Well if it's in mid September, 2017, they wouldn't need the AC on, heater on partly instead,  and it would still all be uphill.  :grin:   Maybe going the other way  (downhill) they could make it.  :undecided:  But then they'd have to layover to recharge the batteries.  :evil:  City slickers need not apply.  :azn:

They can stay at the Clown Motel in Tonopah.  :evil:
From the Deep Deep South out in left field.  There are no stupid questions.  There are however stupid people asking questions.  🤣, this includes me.  😉

Offline Arizona Wayne

• Gaggle Hero
They can stay at the Clown Motel in Tonopah.  :evil:

Be nice, I've stayed there a few times.  :grin:  If they had an ice machine I'd be back again.  :huh:
« Last Edit: October 16, 2017, 01:51:17 AM by Arizona Wayne »

Wildguzzi.com

Offline Tom

• Gaggle Hero

Be nice, I've stayed there a few times.  :grin:

and you don't have nightmares?   :shocked: :grin: :grin:
From the Deep Deep South out in left field.  There are no stupid questions.  There are however stupid people asking questions.  🤣, this includes me.  😉

Offline Arizona Wayne

• Gaggle Hero
and you don't have nightmares?   :shocked: :grin: :grin:

Now, c'mon, you know I don't go to sleep until I'm drunk as a skunk.  :boozing:

Offline Tom

• Gaggle Hero
I like falling asleep with the tv on.  :shocked:

Offline Mayor_of_BBQ

• Instagram: @Mayor_of_BBQ
  • Gaggle Hero
  • 'Ever thus to deadbeats, Lebowski'
I believe shorly that a full electric car will be ideal as the second car in a two car family.

EXACTLY THIS

OF COURSE current electric cars won't make a 500mi road trip on a single charge

OF COURSE current EV's won't tow your boat or trailer a load of wood ("like a man"  :rolleyes:)

OF COURSE there aren't charging stations or battery swap shops as ubiquitous as petrol stations

OF COURSE current EV's are a poor choice for those of you who insist on living out in the sticks, miles from shopping, jobs, and hospitals

currently EV's are a great choice for multi-car families, those with a short or urban commute, and those looking to make less environmental impact.

I don't believe IC engines will be banned in any period less than 80 years...  But EV's will get better & better during that time to the point where IC's are effectively off the roads as better, more efficient tech takes hold.

« Last Edit: October 16, 2017, 11:47:59 AM by oldbike54 »
Chad (Shadrach) in Asheville NC
1979 LeMans CX-100 (battle axe)
2007 Breva 1100 (Sport 1200 tribute)

Offline Antietam Classic Cycle

• Gaggle Hero
  • Happily stuck in the past.
    • Antietam Classic Cycle

OF COURSE current EV's are a poor choice for those of you who insist on living out in the sticks, miles from shopping, jobs, and hospitals

You make this sound like a bad thing. Not everyone wants to live in some over-populated urban cesspool or even suburbia.  :wink:
« Last Edit: October 16, 2017, 08:53:01 PM by Antietam Classic Cycle »
Charlie

Offline Tom

• Gaggle Hero
 :1:

Offline Mayor_of_BBQ

• Instagram: @Mayor_of_BBQ
  • Gaggle Hero
  • 'Ever thus to deadbeats, Lebowski'
Re: What happens when your electric car runs out of juice out in the country?
« Reply #100 on: October 16, 2017, 09:08:45 PM »
You make this sound like a bad thing. Not everyone wants to live in some over-populated urban cesspool or even suburbia.  :wink:

It's not a bad thing at all, country is great...  but if you choose to live out in the country, of course a vehicle with a 100mi range isnt going to work for your needs
Chad (Shadrach) in Asheville NC
1979 LeMans CX-100 (battle axe)
2007 Breva 1100 (Sport 1200 tribute)

Offline Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #101 on: October 16, 2017, 09:35:48 PM »
Especially if you live west of the Mississippi River.  This also where GPS, cell phones and finding a working gas station doesn't work.  :shocked:

oldbike54

« Reply #102 on: October 16, 2017, 09:48:10 PM »
It's not a bad thing at all, country is great...  but if you choose to live out in the country, of course a vehicle with a 100mi range isnt going to work for your needs

Yeah , it takes forever to recharge an E vehicle using those pedal powered generators .

Dusty

Offline TimmyTheHog

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #103 on: October 16, 2017, 10:16:16 PM »

Or imagine trying to do a road trip across the Midwest or the Rocky...3 day trip turns into a week because of the charging time... :shocked:
Life isn't WHAT IS at the end.
It is HOW and WHAT you are doing to get there.

03 Honda Shadow Spirit - The Purple Beast (SOLD)
15 Guzz V7 Stone - The Red Chick (SOLD)
18 BMW R1200GS Rallye - The Blue Streak (SOLD)

Currently Bikeless...*cry*

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here