Author Topic: how old is too old?  (Read 2813 times)

Offline Sasquatch Jim

• Gaggle Hero
  • Sidecar - Best drive by shooting vehicle ever
how old is too old?
« on: August 13, 2015, 09:43:56 PM »
  4 years ago I sold my last two wheeler, a TW 200 a kinda sorta dirt bike.  On my last trip over the mountain i had experienced some instability on the road so I figured it was time to stay with the sidecar rigs.  So I sold it.
  As my legs deteriorated some more it became difficult to pilot my DR 650 with Ural hack so last spring I sold that, leaving me with the 750 Honda Kenna rig.  Then I got a chance to buy a 2005 Big Ruckus and did so, intending to put a light sidecar on it for local usage.
 2 and 1/2 half months have gone by since I sent a check  DMC for a sidecar frame and it hasn't arrived yet.  The date has come due to renew the registration on it so to be able to ride it to the inspection station without looking too clumsy, I began to practice riding it as a two wheeler.  I figured since it had a very low center of gravity this would not be a problem.
 Au contraire!  Over the last 4 years, not only have my legs become more paralyzed, my once fine tuned balance has gone south too.
 After putting on a total of about ten miles I got good enough to head for the inspection station, but just barely so.  I have no real confidence on two wheels anymore and no fine tuned balance either.  Any time I get on two wheels now I am risking disaster.
 I wish they would send my sidecar frame soon so I can get to work  on making this this thing usable.  A couple of weeks ago jays' wife contacted me and asked how I wanted it painted so I thought it was built but I haven't got it yet.
 It must be about time to hang up the red suspenders as I don't use them with cargo pocket shorts anyway.
Sasquatch Jim        Humanoid, sort of.

Offline O

• Gosling
  • Don't force it, get a bigger hammer.
Re: how old is too old?
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2015, 10:00:23 PM »
How old is too old?  I don't think it's about age, or even condition. It's about joie de vivre and a lust for life.  Once you lose that, it's time to hang it up.  It sounds like you've still got plenty.  Can't wait to see pics of the Ruckus/tub combo.
Owen

2014 V7 Special

Offline johnr

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2015, 10:11:11 PM »
There must come a time I suppose. It's a moment I dread.

There was a local guy who was still riding his Vincent side car outfit all over the shop to winter rallies and all at the tender age of 86. His sidecar was a big totally closed in one and he used it to sleep in.

The Vincent though was getting a bit tired so he had the engine done up. He had to sell it then. The compression had increased so much he couldn't kick it over.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2015, 11:22:59 PM by johnr »
New Zealand
2002 Ev tourer (Stalled again...)

oldbike54

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2015, 10:33:43 PM »
 Jim , dunno , don't give up yet Bud . The Big Ruckus is cool  :bike-037:

Dusty

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2015, 10:33:43 PM »

Offline tris

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2015, 01:37:17 AM »
In this instance I'm not sure age is relevant.

Anyone with a 4 year gap would be "wobbly" when they 1st got back on 2 wheels.

However, given the issue with your legs I guess you would be less confident of catching it if things went pear shaped which would make it all the more noticeable

There are times when I'm hauling the Cali of its side stand that I think "this is a heavy old bastard" and know that a V7 is on the horizon somewhere and potentially a 3rd wheel after that

If the choice is sat in watching day time telly or planning for when the sidecar comes - the side car would win every time.

Hang in there Jim!
2017 V9 Roamer
2005 Breva 1100 (non ABS) "Bruno" - now sold
1995 Cali 1100 - carby   "Dino" -now sold
1993 TW125 "POS" - Resting

Offline Sasquatch Jim

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2015, 01:49:14 AM »
 Oh, BTW, on the way home from the inspection,  I was riding along in my Hawaiian ATGAT, tennis shoes, cargo pocket shorts,
 sleeveless T-shirt, boonie hat,  When a mile from home I ran into a waterfall.  One of those blinding tropical rain deluges.
  There was nowhere to get under cover and within a hundred yards I was soaked through my skivies and socks so I just kept
 putting along till I got home.  It's not so bad when it does that if I am on the sidecar rig, it has a faring with tall windshield
 but the ruck-ass has no protection at all.  Just a note that sometimes it's a poopy day in paradise.  We presently have a used to be hurricane passing to the south of us.  The winds are no longer a factor but it still carries a lot of water.  The south end of the island is under flood warnings expecting 12 to 18 inches of rain today.  Fortunately there are a couple of mountains that block the worst of it from here this time.  This is supposed to be the year of the mega El Nino so the west coast is going to get some too.

Offline leafman60

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2015, 07:35:13 AM »
Jim, the admirable thing is that you WANT to keep riding. If there's will, there's often a way and this sounds like you are finding a new way for yourself with the sidecar.

I often think about some of the things I've done on a motorcycle, like ride 60 miles for a BBQ sandwich in 20 degree weather - or 100 degree weather or taking a trip despite rain predictions hoping to fall in the optimistic small percentage of predicted no rain only to get washed away, all the while when I could have done all of this in the comfortable, dry, safe confines of a car. Fact is, if I had to drive a car, I wouldn't even want the sandwich.

For years, as I am sure you've all experienced, I've had non-biking friends and relatives who just shake their heads and wonder why I do these crazy things.  To be honest, when caught in some of the self-induced adversities and challenges that I have experienced on two wheels, I too have wondered why I do it.

In the end, I've come to the realization that when the day comes that I think rationally about this sort of thing and quit taking the risks I take simply because I like doing this, I will know that I am truly getting old! Until then, no matter what my age, I will relish the feeling of living and being young and doing maybe stupid things that a sane person wouldn't do.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2015, 08:03:45 AM by leafman60 »

Offline cruzziguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2015, 10:38:45 AM »
Two things 'Squatch:

On the registration relative to the side-hack frame - I'd check around D.A.V., American Legion, "Shriners", etc... to find a fella willing to get your inspection done - or trailer it?

Don't let it slide brother.

Second verse - Since when did cargo pocket shorts preclude the wearing of binders... red or otherwise? I never got that fashion memo. Mayhap, my gal Sal's intercepting them for her own personal bemusement?

Todd.
Todd
07 Calvin            77 TT500
95 Sport 1100      04 Breva 750
82 Katana           79 GS850G
72 "Crud"dorado
03 Barely Davidson 883 Huggy
Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top.

Offline Sasquatch Jim

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2015, 11:15:57 AM »
 Quote : Second verse - Since when did cargo pocket shorts preclude the wearing of binders... red or otherwise? I never got that fashion memo. Mayhap, my gal Sal's intercepting them for her own personal bemusement?

Maybe she just wants you to reach out and snap them now and then.

Offline cruzziguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2015, 11:26:15 AM »
Quote : Second verse - Since when did cargo pocket shorts preclude the wearing of binders... red or otherwise? I never got that fashion memo. Mayhap, my gal Sal's intercepting them for her own personal bemusement?

Maybe she just wants you to reach out and snap them now and then.

That, or, it just occurred to me that they seem to make a convenient handle/reins for her use as well. Talk about yer fashion victims!

Todd.
Todd
07 Calvin            77 TT500
95 Sport 1100      04 Breva 750
82 Katana           79 GS850G
72 "Crud"dorado
03 Barely Davidson 883 Huggy
Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top.

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here