Author Topic: Yippity Yippity Yay Yay !! The New Stelvio Arrived Today !!  (Read 2974 times)

Bonaventure

Yippity Yippity Yay Yay !! The New Stelvio Arrived Today !!
« on: August 29, 2017, 01:07:36 PM »
Haulbikes (Daily Direct LLC) delivered the bike this morning.  Driver had called yesterday morning was departing York PA outbound back to Las Vegas.  Met him at a nearby truck stop and picked her up.  They do a walk-around inspection with you and a check list and any squawks are noted, they had already noted two minor scuffs on top of the starboard pannier... classic foot scuffs from folks throwing a leg over it in the showroom.  No big deal.  Everything else looked good.  Barely any fuel in it, expected and no problem-oh since the car and light truck gas pump islands were only 400 feet (122 meters) or so away.  Took some finesse to get her to fire up, but... 2 miles (3.2 km) on the odometer and sitting around a few months in a showroom will do that.   Checked and made sure the all necessary paperwork, manual, and etc were in the panniers then rode it over to the pumps after bidding John w/ Haulbikes farewell and a good trip West.  18 wheeler, full of bikes two levels mine and his at the rear most on bottom level.  His was a Harley Softail Heritage.  They don't use a ramp they have a hydraulic lift gate they roll them out onto and lower the left gate flat onto the tarmac.  We checked all lighting and signals for functionality etc.

Put in 6.2 US gallons (23.5 liters) of premium 92 to top off the tank, and headed off on my first ride in 6 months since my accident in Feb.  Won't lie, I was a little keyed up lastnight and all the way into heading off from the pumps.   Climbing back on after a come off (high side no less...), fairly different bike, no license tag (I have a two week temp pink slip, wallet size from Nevada DMV... ain't gonna try to mount that back there).  However I will say the bike feels pretty close to my 2013 Multistrada in layout and ergo's, as well as handling.  I am pleasantly surprised by the handling.  She's a little tippy below 5 mph, more so than my 2013 Multi but fairly close to how the '16 Multi felt at slow crawl.

One thing I am adjusting to is 1st gear. It was uber stiff starting out, in fact I had a time getting it out of neutral and down into 1st to go over from the truck to the pumps.  That loosened up though and by the end of the initial ride it was much better.  The other 1st gear thing I am adjusting to is it seems taller in ratio than what both my Ducs were in 1st.  I kept thinking I had downshifted only into 2nd but alas it is first.  Now, that is not a knock at all, I actually like 1st being a bit taller than what the two Multi's had.  Don't have to upshift before reaching other side of the intersection anymore !!  LoL. 

I put 50 miles (80 km) on in the initial ride, staying much as possible on rural/suburban two laners with minimial stop-and-go and some curves.  Surprised by the torque of this thing right out of the box as it is, feels not too far behind my Multistrada's.  She is rather snatchy with the throttle in 1st and 2nd oh I'd say in the 3000 - 5000 rpm range.  About 3600 - maybe 4200 was handlebar's Mr. Buzzy Buzzerson zone with a pretty distinct bar buzz cropping up ,rising up maybe 3600 rpm that tamed down past 4200ish.  Same with the mirrors of course, but above that zone the bars and mirrors were okay and the mirrors actually quite clear and usable above that rpm range.  Only mentioning that because I read where the USA mirrors with the integrated turn signals vibrate more than the Griso add-on's that you can get in a kit with Euro signals for the faring, from AF-1 in Austin TX. Still going to get that kit just because I think the USA mirror/signal combo looks like arse.   

The more I got accustomed to the bike the more I like it !!   The exhaust note is great, don't see why an after market slip-on would be needed unless obnoxious loudness is desired, sorry just kidding but this bike sounds deeper and more throaty than either of my Multistrada's did.  My '13 Multi was downright raspy, the '16 was a little throatier but neither sounded as rich and deep. 

Avg mpg on the dash info ctr started out around 24 and was at 35 when I rolled into garage.  Would've stayed out longer but some thunder clouds were gathering and growing darker and darker so decided to head home after only 50. 

Going to look over the manual and such while the weather decides what it's going to do. 

P.S.  This thing is big !!  Which I like, fits me well.  But next to my Subaru Forester, it is one big motorcycle.    :cool:

PICS TO FOLLOW !!

oldbike54

Re: Yippity Yippity Yay Yay !! The New Stelvio Arrived Today !!
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2017, 01:10:44 PM »
 :thumb: We are HAPPY right along with you  :cheesy:

Dusty

Bonaventure

« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2017, 01:47:10 PM »
Quickie pics, taken little while ago next to my Forester.  Did that just because I like the size of the bike as it sits next to my car.  At 6'3" 220 lbs the Stelvio has turned out to be a good fit.  Saying that because I bought sight unseen.  It is exceeding my expectations very nicely so far. 

Offline Guzzi Gal

• MOTO GUZZI~Because your heart is in the bike, and the bike is in your heart. ~Huzo~
  • Gaggle Hero
    • Sonoran Sunriders, YouTube
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2017, 01:50:19 PM »
 :grin:  Congrats on your new, very good looking steed! 
:bow: Thanks for enabling my MG obsession! :bow:
"Anni" '17 Moto Guzzi V7 III Anniversario #220/1000,
"Velvet" '16 Honda CTX 700,
"Brigitte", AKA "Gigi" '13 Vespa GTS 300ie,
"Grey Wind" '12 Vespa GTS 300 Super,  
The twin '16 Honda Metropolitans
"Miri" and Mori"

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2017, 01:50:19 PM »

Offline Nic in Western NYS

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2017, 01:54:44 PM »
Congrats on the sharp new bike and that you are HAPPY about it!
'04 Ducati ST4sABS
Fondly remembered Geese: LeMans V, Sport 1100, Centauro, Breva 1100

bobrebos

« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2017, 02:15:37 PM »
Awesomeness!  Congratulations.... . :bike-037:

Offline Zoom Zoom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2017, 03:12:58 PM »
The motor will get better with some miles on it. Once it gets run in a bit, you should consider getting the TB's re-balanced and the TPS reset. This after doing a valve adjust when stone cold.

Congrats! I noticed your post about the time delay on getting the bike.

John Henry

Offline kingoffleece

• SplitWeight(tm) seat covers
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Rated 5 STARS Motorcycle Consumer News
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2017, 03:51:04 PM »
All the best.
SplitWeight(tm) seat covers. A King of Fleece LLC product.

Offline lucian

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2017, 07:43:06 PM »
Congratulations, glad your liking it.  Shifting ect. will  continue to smooth out and improve with miles. Good for you for taking a leap of faith. I bought my Griso sight unseen and had never ridden one. It's far more enjoyable than any bike I have owned to date, and it keeps getting better with use. Biggest improvement thus far has been a beetle map to cure the low speed fueling.   The 8v is a wonderful  thing. :thumb:

Offline Gusable

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2017, 07:58:50 PM »
Is this one of those Las Vegas "deal" bikes?
1994 California 1100

Offline decotriumph

• Hatchling
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2017, 08:38:44 PM »
Congratulations. You're going to love it!
Alan M
Tullahoma, TN

2004 Moto Guzzi California EV1100 Touring

Past Guzzis:
2020 V85TT Adventure
2017 V9 Bobber
2014 Stelvio NTX
2012 Stelvio
2000 Jackal
1997 1100i Sport
1975 850T

elvisboy77

« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2017, 09:05:20 PM »
Beautiful!  Way to go.

Bonaventure

« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2017, 10:16:06 PM »

Yes, if I understand the question.  I did buy it from Euro Cycles of Las Vegas...

Offline Gusable

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2017, 07:46:44 PM »
I do recall they have had a red stelvio at slash cut prices lately!  I wish I was in your shoes!! Congrats
1994 California 1100

Online Trialsman

• Gosling
« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2017, 09:50:43 PM »
Congratulations.  I looked at that bike and lost a lot of sleep thinking of doing just what you did.  I had a '13 Stelvio and maybe never should have gotten rid of it.  I like my Norge but I always think of my Stelvio.  Enjoy the ride.
2010 FE570 Husaberg
2019 Alta Redshift EXR
2019 Alta Redshift EXR - clone
2021 Moto Guzzi V85TT Centenario
2024 Stelvio V100

Bonaventure

« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2017, 05:51:48 AM »
Yeah, only thing we could find were the tops of the righthand pannier has some minor scuffs obviously from footwear as folks threw a leg over it in the show room.    Amber reflector on righthand fork missing.  Warning/safety stickers underside of the pillion seat still had the opaque protective layer over them that needed to be peeled off, as well as did the ENI sticker lefthand base of swingarm mount/bearing area.  Couldn't get the opaque layer off that one so the whole sticker was removed. 

I always go over a new bike thoroughly, check fluids, touch fuses to ensure they're secure, and just eyeball everything.  Dealer PDI isn't always perfect.

pete roper

« Reply #16 on: August 31, 2017, 05:56:16 AM »
Just sell it. You are going to be so unhappy, especially when you start messing with stuff you don't understand.

Bonaventure

« Reply #17 on: August 31, 2017, 07:31:02 AM »
Just sell it. You are going to be so unhappy, especially when you start messing with stuff you don't understand.

I get your sarcasm, but really... ?  What is it I don't understand since MSF in 1999, and four bikes since then?  You're right, that which I acquired by DIY maintaining my first bike a Harley 1200XL, and two Ducati's later on really doesn't mean squat.

I get it.

You're the Guzzi god around here  :thewife:  ...  and newbies better shape up or ship out.   

Offline bettythebear

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #18 on: August 31, 2017, 07:41:30 AM »

I've got a Norge being delivered from the same dealer sometime in the next week or two. The Nevada doc fee is a little high, as well as the dealer prep fee, but they had already slashed the price big time on the bike itself, and then accepted an even lower offer from me.
2011 MG v7 Classic
2020 Husqvarna Vitpilen 401

Online Luap McKeever

• Owner, WildGuzzi.com
  • Administrator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Lead, follow, or get out of the way!
    • Wildgoose Chase Moto Guzzi
« Reply #19 on: August 31, 2017, 07:48:24 AM »
Congrats.  Stelvios are wonderful. I loved mine and wish I could have kept it along with the MGX, but can't afford two payments on my salary.  You'll  love that thing more each time you ride it. Around 3,000 miles something magical happens and things just get so much more smooth... :thumb:
Founder, Wildguzzi.com (est. 1998)
2021 V85TT Centenario E5
2001 California Special
2001 California EV
2020 Indian Challenger Limited

Offline cj750

• Gaggle Mentor
  • "Viva tutte le cose Italiane"
« Reply #20 on: August 31, 2017, 09:06:52 AM »
Congratulations, Stelvios are great bikes. I bought a used, low-mile NTX about three years ago. Its been a lot of fun and completely trouble-free so far. Although you've probably already read it elsewhere on this site, do not ride with the foglamps turned on until you put a fuse in that circuit. It will eventually leave you stranded otherwise.
My shifter can still be a bit stiff and balky when starting out, but is fine once the transmission warms up. I'm sure yours just needs a little break-in time.
Besides the euro signals and mirrors, the heated grip kit is a worthwhile addition if you do any cool weather riding at all. The controller is already installed on the handlebar, so its an easy plug-n-play installation.
As for aftermarket exhaust, I was never really happy with the sound of the stock Stelvio. Its not bad, but I was spoiled by the sound of my Jackal with open crossover and Lafranconis. The Stelvio sounded like an industrial pump motor in comparison. I was content to live with it until I recently had the chance to pick up a used Agostini canister from another member of this board at a very good price. (Thanks Keith!) I've been running it for a couple of weeks now, with the db killer in place. If there's a performance benefit, its too subtle for me to feel. But the tone is much improved, without being obnoxiously loud. Not something you need to rush out and buy, especially if you're happy with the stock sound, but still worthwhile, IMO.
Anyway, enjoy your bike, and feel free to ask any questions you may have.
Then again, when I was watching Predator I didn't think two members of its cast would become governors, either. So you never know.

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #21 on: August 31, 2017, 09:10:51 AM »
Congrats.  Stelvios are wonderful. I loved mine and wish I could have kept it along with the MGX, but can't afford two payments on my salary. 

Yes, and you can't splash around too much of the $50K a year you make from WG or the revenue agents will start sniffing around, less said the better, best be like Dad and keep Mum ....  :wink:    :wink:
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
Best quality vinyl available today. Easy application.
Advertise Here