Author Topic: 1978 Moto Morini 500 almost done!  (Read 35090 times)

canuck750

1978 Moto Morini 500 almost done!
« on: January 22, 2018, 04:49:01 PM »
I picked up this 78' Moto Morini 500 last summer and decided to do some refreshing of tires, brakes and bearings, re-fit the stock carbs and air box and just get it running reliably. The previous owner kept it on good shape having saved it from a past life where it been turned into some sort of chopper for a certain lady to ride alongside her husband on his HD. This bike came with a full extra set of body work so I removed the faded grey set and had the second set painted to the factory red scheme.

North Leicster Motors in the UK sent new brake rotors and rebuild kits for the calipers and master cylinders and a few rubber bits, cables and other pieces.

I sent the brake caliper and MC castings off to be anodized, stripped the rims down for powder coating and sent all the fasteners and misc parts that came off for cad plating.

The previous owner told me the engine had been rebuilt, when I removed the right hand engine cover this little surprise stuck its head up

just a slight oil leak :thewife:

I think a quick freshening up just grew a few items on the to do list

The Morini is going to he left hanging for a while, more parts to order and the Le
Mans needs finishing.

« Last Edit: September 16, 2018, 05:20:22 PM by canuck750 »

Offline TRw1

• New Egg
Re: Any Morini Fans?
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2018, 05:42:33 PM »
Jim,

Anxiously awaiting the posts to come documenting the restoration.  I'm sure there will be more surprises.

Ted

Offline ITSec

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2018, 06:55:17 PM »
It's not in my top five, but maybe my top ten. I'd love to have one someday, and it looks like the one you have is headed for your usual loving touch.
ITSecurity
2012 Griso 8v SE - Tenni Green
2013 Stelvio NTX - Copper
2008 Norge GT - Silver

I am but mad north-northwest!
When the wind is southerly, I can tell a hawk from a handsaw...

Online Antietam Classic Cycle

• Gaggle Hero
  • Happily stuck in the past.
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2018, 07:24:57 PM »
You know I am!  :grin: Keep it coming.
Charlie

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2018, 07:24:57 PM »

Online SemperVee

• My life will be told in MC people and experiences more than anything else.
  • Gaggle Mentor
  • USMC Retired
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2018, 10:13:32 AM »
I remember first seeing them at the Ricky Racer shop in Costa Mesa Ca. Then proprietor former European racer Lance Weil loved them and sold them along side his treasured Laverda's.
I remember on a small group breakfast ride in the 1980's around Lake Elsinore when Lance on his red little Morini led the pack.  Him and an old guy on a Guzzi CX100 naturally, were hard to keep up with!  Back then many of us were riding GS1000's, KZ1000's, BMW's and a few Ducati's.  The good old days in memory of many rides up there in San Juan Capistrano to Elsinore and back after hanging out at the Lookout  restaurant near the top.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2018, 10:20:57 AM by SemperVee »
2007 MG Norge - Hi Ho Silver! - La Dolce Vita
CalSci Tall Windshield
Heli-Bars
Matris Fork + SAG set
Eibach Rear spring
Salamander HB ends
K&N  filter
StainTune pipe
Metal gas fltr
Givi Rear rack
Givi V46 Box and Rack
Startus Interuptus
Napoleon Mirrors
Grip Puppies

canuck750

« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2018, 11:45:30 AM »
I remember first seeing them at the Ricky Racer shop in Costa Mesa Ca. Then proprietor former European racer Lance Weil loved them and sold them along side his treasured Laverda's.
I remember on a small group breakfast ride in the 1980's around Lake Elsinore when Lance on his red little Morini led the pack.  Him and an old guy on a Guzzi CX100 naturally, were hard to keep up with!  Back then many of us were riding GS1000's, KZ1000's, BMW's and a few Ducati's.  The good old days in memory of many rides up there in San Juan Capistrano to Elsinore and back after hanging out at the Lookout  restaurant near the top.

I took that road from the coast to Indio this fall, talk about motorcycle heaven! I can't recall ever seeing so many sport bikes in one place, the pull overs where full of sport bikes. I bet the little Morini was blast to ride on those tight curves and its ultra light weight must have been a real advantage over the big Japanese fours.

This nice 1975 Strada 3 1/2 arrived this morning via transport from Phoenix AZ. This little bike has travelled all across North America in the past year, previous owner shipped it from Pennsylvania to AZ and then sold it to me. Next it went by truck to Blain Washington then back across the rockies to my place in Western Canada, thousands of miles without ever turning a wheel. Needs some engine work and a paint job, can't get into the star wars paint scheme.

Offline brubache

• New Egg
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2018, 09:36:04 AM »
To fun.  I LOVE Morini's!  I swore to own one some day.  Working on that now in fact. 

canuck750

« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2018, 10:46:56 AM »
To fun.  I LOVE Morini's!  I swore to own one some day.  Working on that now in fact.

I wanted a 3 1/2 but a 500 came up for sale 1st in B.C. so I grabbed it, now a 3 1/2 found me and I have not decided if I will keep the 500. Going to get the 500 refurbished and running and then decide.

Offline brubache

• New Egg
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2018, 12:01:57 PM »
Is that a Strada converted to Sport?  I love Morini's.  Drool.

canuck750

« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2018, 12:24:21 PM »
Is that a Strada converted to Sport?  I love Morini's.  Drool.

Yes, all of the 1st series (1978) where a 'W' model, STRADA, the 'SPORT 500' came out a few years later and was mechanically the same bike with just minor cosmetic changes. The later 500's got a six speed. The previous owner added the aftermarket clip-ons, the 'Sport' badge on the triple tree and the DIY rear sets. The pod filters and the Mikuni carbs where another sacrilegious 'improvement' added by the previous owner. Stuart Mayhew of NLM in the UK claims keeping the stock dual air filter air box and stock Dellorto carbs is the best thing you can do for these Wee Vees.

I have the stock Dellorto carbs and air box for this bike and I have found the stock foot rests and foot controls to go back on. I have not been able to find the stock upper triple clamp and bars, NLM tells me most of the 500 Strada where converted to clip-ons over time and finding the stock 'W' series upper triple and bars is very tough ... I will keep looking.

There has been a later model 500 Sport for sale on Vancouver Island for a couple years, asking around $10K CDN, all stock. Its advertised on Seattle Craigslist form time to time.

Offline brubache

• New Egg
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2018, 05:27:57 PM »
Ah thought so.  I new there were details that were not quite on point.  Glad you have the stock carbs etc.  I have heard that as well.  How is the parts situation?

canuck750

« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2018, 09:29:54 PM »
Ah thought so.  I new there were details that were not quite on point.  Glad you have the stock carbs etc.  I have heard that as well.  How is the parts situation?

North Leicester Motors (NLM) in England has most of the arts available, a bit pricey but he has what you will need.

http://www.northleicestermotorcycles.com/

Stuart has a great selection of Moto Morini's to drool over and lots of other Italian eye candy!

Offline huub

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2018, 12:27:51 PM »
nice bike! amazingly good condition.
if the stainless mudguards are standard it is a very early one.
not sure what they were thinking at the  morini factory when they designed the gearbox,
basically the 5 speed box has the same ratio's as the  six speed box , without the first gear.
interesting.
considering the dry clutch is temperamental at best.
be prepared for some typical italian weirdness working on these bikes.
the ignition is a nightmare,
the original seating position is weird, with footrests very far forward.
the current rearsets are a huge improvement
the rest of the bike is remarkably reliable

i've been running a bunch of morini's since the early eighties,  they are seriously  addictive.
( think i've got seven of them in the shed right now....long story)
my favorite is the early 350 sport, because it is lighter , has a shorter wheelbase and its revvy engine)  .
this is my current ride

image upload
« Last Edit: January 28, 2018, 12:30:21 PM by huub »

canuck750

« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2018, 03:52:45 PM »
Thanks Huub! Your 3 1/2 Sport is gorgeous, I would sure like to find one with the 4LS front brake like yours.

What started out as tracing an oil leak has turned into this. The engine has been apart before and there is remnants of red silicone everywhere, this stuff should be banned.

I don't know if this moving forward or backwards

Motor mostly stripped down parts vapour blasted as they come off, ready to split the cases.

Cylinders and pistons look good but there was a lot of metal swarf in the oil, need to pull the bearings and have a good look.

Timing belt was so brittle it broke just pulling it off the sprockets.

« Last Edit: January 28, 2018, 06:25:18 PM by canuck750 »

twowings

« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2018, 07:20:19 PM »
Hang in there...it will come together... :thumb:

canuck750

« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2018, 09:30:14 PM »
It seems a little daunting right now, more red silicone

the big end shells are toast and the white metal crank case bush doesn't look great, so much for the previous owners claim that the engine had been rebuilt.

Rest of it looks OK,

« Last Edit: January 28, 2018, 09:32:08 PM by canuck750 »

Offline huub

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2018, 08:51:38 AM »
i dont know how the availability is for the plain main bearing , they used to be unavailable.
i used to make them from mitsubishi camshaft bearings 
it is pretty common to fit a roller bearing instead. but the crankshaft needs to be modified.
the red stuff might be original, these engines were assembled without crankcase gasket , just gasket cement.
i use dirko HT, but any good gasket cement should do the trick.
also use some gasket cement on the cylinder base gasket, if you dont they tend to leak.
if it still has a base gasket you can remove it , looking at the pistons the squish is large enough to have deposits on the piston.

i vaguely remember the main crank bearing being a special, the  rest of the bearings are stock , i would change those if you are in there.
oh , and clean the sludge trap in the crankshaft

good thing you removed the belt , they are a stupidly cheap (less than 10 dollar?) industrial part, i change them once a year.
no need to reuse one when you removed it.

the vapor blasting is brilliant! i'm jealous!
« Last Edit: January 29, 2018, 09:03:42 AM by huub »

canuck750

« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2018, 09:25:32 AM »
i dont know how the availability is for the plain main bearing , they used to be unavailable.
i used to make them from mitsubishi camshaft bearings 
it is pretty common to fit a roller bearing instead. but the crankshaft needs to be modified.
the red stuff might be original, these engines were assembled without crankcase gasket , just gasket cement.
i use dirko HT, but any good gasket cement should do the trick.
also use some gasket cement on the cylinder base gasket, if you dont they tend to leak.
if it still has a base gasket you can remove it , looking at the pistons the squish is large enough to have deposits on the piston.

i vaguely remember the main crank bearing being a special, the  rest of the bearings are stock , i would change those if you are in there.
oh , and clean the sludge trap in the crankshaft

good thing you removed the belt , they are a stupidly cheap (less than 10 dollar?) industrial part, i change them once a year.
no need to reuse one when you removed it.

the vapor blasting is brilliant! i'm jealous!

Thanks Huub, great information

As for Vapour blasting .. its amazing

« Last Edit: January 29, 2018, 09:52:17 AM by canuck750 »

Offline brubache

• New Egg
« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2018, 10:26:23 PM »
I have a pile of Benelli parts I need to blast.... gotta get that done!

Looking solid.  Hopefully you can find the needed parts to get it back in order. 

PS... update on your Bene?

canuck750

« Reply #19 on: January 29, 2018, 10:57:39 PM »
I have a pile of Benelli parts I need to blast.... gotta get that done!

Looking solid.  Hopefully you can find the needed parts to get it back in order. 

PS... update on your Bene?

The Benelli is still slowly coming together, gathering up parts, cleaning, polishing getting some misc parts powder coated. I will get onto the Benelli after the Moto Morini is done, I had thought the Morini would be a two week project, rapidly turning into a much bigger job.

Offline Bluerobotz

• New Egg
« Reply #20 on: January 30, 2018, 05:28:33 AM »
I'm glad you didn't post any "chopper" pics, I need to sleep tonight!
Keep it up! I love your builds, very impressive. I wish I had 10% of the time you put into this.
2003 B750, 1984 GPz900R A1, 1985 GPz900R A2, 1981 V50 Monza, 1973 Eldorado Civilian

Offline Steph

• Gaggle Hero
  • Cali Stone/ LM3
« Reply #21 on: January 30, 2018, 05:28:00 PM »
Nice 500.

I enquired about this 350 Sport in South Africa, then the owner changed his mind and is now keeping it due to sentimental value:

Do not know a lot about working on these, watch a complete clutch rebuild last night that I found enjoyable:
https://youtu.be/yNxVQ4JLmjo

« Last Edit: January 30, 2018, 05:30:49 PM by Steph »

canuck750

« Reply #22 on: January 30, 2018, 07:31:27 PM »
Nice 500.

I enquired about this 350 Sport in South Africa, then the owner changed his mind and is now keeping it due to sentimental value:

Do not know a lot about working on these, watch a complete clutch rebuild last night that I found enjoyable:
https://youtu.be/yNxVQ4JLmjo

That is the Moto Moirini 3 1/2 to have! Keep on the owner, it would be a great find.

So far I have found the Morini 500 to be very basic, jewel like little heads and rockers, fine quality castings, very good components throughout. |I was able tp source all the oil seals and most of the case bearings locally. The case bearings and cam bearings where notched, probably a result of running dirty oil. After measuring the crank rod journal I find it is out of round with a center line ridge at one rod, it will need a new set of oversize shells and a crank grind. Crank sludge trap was gummed up. I need to really clean and inspect the transmission gears, on a quick inspection they look good. Clutch is multi-plate dry and after a lot of cleaning it all looks to be serviceable.

This is the ball side of the crank, white metal collars that slide over the crank and grasp the ball bearing on each side of the cage

This side of the crank rides in a  white metal bush

These are cam followers, push rods sit in them on the top side of the case and drive the rockers

Clutch side large ball bearing with loose collars like the large crank bearing

Stuart Mayhew at NLM in the UK has been great supplying parts.

Offline brubache

• New Egg
« Reply #23 on: January 31, 2018, 08:20:37 PM »
Looks quite nicely machined actually. 

Offline Psychopasta

• Gosling
« Reply #24 on: January 31, 2018, 11:40:16 PM »
I love Morinis. Never owned one, but I fell in love with the 3 1/2 back in the day and it's never left me.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2018, 09:18:19 AM by Psychopasta »
V50 Monza 1981
Moto Guzzi V7 Stone Special 2023
Honda Goldwing 2019
Aprilia Tuareg 660 2023
Ancient A65 Bitsa, in pieces

canuck750

« Reply #25 on: February 01, 2018, 12:37:27 PM »
Looks quite nicely machined actually.

The castings are very nice but being such a small motor the parts have a delicate look. I am impressed with the engine internals, big heavyweight bearings throughout, shells on the con rods, bush on the small end and bush to the rocker shaft making everything serviceable, designed for longevity. In my limited experience with other Italian brands the Laverda twin is the most over designed beast I have seen, the casting fit on the Benelli twin cases is dead accurate but for all around ease of service, durability and dare I say elegance the Guzzi big twin has them all beat.

canuck750

« Reply #26 on: February 03, 2018, 08:46:19 PM »
Well I hate half measures so I broke down and just stripped the rest of the bike back to the frame, sending the frame and frame brackets off to be powder coated in Carbon Black.

In a couple weeks all the plating and painting bits should be done and if the motor parts arrive by then I will get back to assembling it. I need to remake the wire harness and clean up the rest of the electrical but from here on its working with clean and / or new parts.

There is so little chrome, only the lift handle and the turn signal stems. The chain guard and fenders are stainless so they will polish up nice.

Offline Steph

• Gaggle Hero
  • Cali Stone/ LM3
« Reply #27 on: February 04, 2018, 09:16:21 AM »
As these motorcycle are unlikely to be used until they rust away in the future, wouldn’t painting the frame the traditional way be more original than powder coating/ thermoplastic coating? Just thinking outside the box.

canuck750

« Reply #28 on: February 04, 2018, 09:44:02 AM »
As these motorcycle are unlikely to be used until they rust away in the future, wouldn�t painting the frame the traditional way be more original than powder coating/ thermoplastic coating? Just thinking outside the box.

A couple reasons I go for a full powder coat, I don’t have to do the prep, the prep process with the baking off process prior to coating removed all residue oils, the cured powder is so durable that during assembly there is less chance of damage. For the Laverda 750 SF1 I rebuilt last year I did not powder the frame, I removed all the paint with sanding discs and brush applied POR 15, very durable but it was a lot of work, messy and toxic paint and not as nice a finish as powder.

I have been riding my 860 Eldorado for five years, including a couple hour long rides on gravel roads and the powder coated frame is still looking good. I have about 1000 miles on my V7  Sport and the frame still looks sharp.

Cheers

Jim

Offline huub

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #29 on: February 05, 2018, 03:26:06 PM »

In a couple weeks all the plating and painting bits should be done and if the motor parts arrive by then I will get back to assembling it. I need to remake the wire harness and clean up the rest of the electrical but from here on its working with clean and / or new parts.

take your time looking at the wiring diagram ,
the stock wiring looks like a mess ( they are all like that!)
but it is well thought out. there is some method in this madness
basically all the parts have their own wiring harness, and everything connects at the fuse box.
so any electrical problem can be found by removing the side cover, and measuring at the fuse box.

no sparks? measure the green wire from the generator. still no sparks? measure the green wire from the emergency stop.
still nothing? check the contact switch. ( you guessed , another green wire in the fuse box).

pretty brilliant if you are used to guzzi electrics , where they tend to connect everything inside the headlight/ fuse box or even halfway down the harness etc.....

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here