Author Topic: V7iii - things that need attention from the start  (Read 16844 times)

Offline Rhodan

• Gosling
Re: V7iii - things that need attention from the start
« Reply #60 on: March 03, 2019, 10:49:41 AM »
Finally got it home after a 1 month weather delay.  Still working on a windscreen and bags.

Offline egschade

• Gaggle Hero
  • Eric - MGNOC NJ Rep - mgnocnj.forumotion.com
« Reply #61 on: March 03, 2019, 11:36:21 AM »
 I didn't care for the stock tires.  Felt hard,  a little skittish and tracked road grooves.  Suspension was too low for my liking and weight but I'm guessing your GF is far less than my 220 lb riding weight. 
The elder Eric in NJ

2020 V85TT Adventure
1985 LeMans 1000
2005 BMW F650GS

Past Guzzis:
V65 SP
V7 III
V50
Griso 1200SE Tenni
Breva 1100
EV Touring

Offline Guzzi Gal

• MOTO GUZZI~Because your heart is in the bike, and the bike is in your heart. ~Huzo~
  • Gaggle Hero
    • Sonoran Sunriders, YouTube
« Reply #62 on: March 03, 2019, 01:00:24 PM »
Finally got it home after a 1 month weather delay.  Still working on a windscreen and bags.

:thumb: :thumb: :thumb:
:bow: Thanks for enabling my MG obsession! :bow:
"Anni" '17 Moto Guzzi V7 III Anniversario #220/1000,
"Velvet" '16 Honda CTX 700,
"Brigitte", AKA "Gigi" '13 Vespa GTS 300ie,
"Grey Wind" '12 Vespa GTS 300 Super,  
The twin '16 Honda Metropolitans
"Miri" and Mori"

Offline Rhodan

• Gosling
« Reply #63 on: March 03, 2019, 01:14:41 PM »
Egschade: I hear ya on the tires.  Went out for a ride this morning (a very brisk 38 F) and came across some freeway grooving.  I could definitely feel the back end moving around some.  What did you end up with?   

Thanks Guzzi Gal!  Even freezing my rear end off, it brings such a smile riding it.

Stock fueling, seat, and suspension are much better than what my 2013 v7 had.  Throttle is just a little snatchy;  we'll see how everything breaks in.  The ride this morning pointed out a few minor ergo adjustments I want to make but nothing big.  Really, really enjoing it.

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #63 on: March 03, 2019, 01:14:41 PM »

Offline sign216

• Gaggle Hero
    • Guzzi 750s - Breva, Nevada, V7, etc
« Reply #64 on: March 03, 2019, 06:19:59 PM »
A voltmeter is a good idea.  I had been looking at maybe getting the multimedia accessory that sends various info to your phone.  Seems like an expensive way to get battery info though.  I'm not sure I'd use any of the other features.

First off: sorry for the late reply.
But send it to your phone?!  When you could have voltmeter to look at on the dashboard?
I'm an old guy, but educate me.
Am I missing something?

Joe
09 Guzzi V7C
58 BMW R50
65 Gilera 106
69 Benelli 350

https://groups.io/g/Moto-Guzzi-750

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #65 on: March 03, 2019, 06:44:57 PM »
First off: sorry for the late reply.
But send it to your phone?!  When you could have voltmeter to look at on the dashboard?
I'm an old guy, but educate me.
Am I missing something?

Joe

https://wide.piaggiogroup.com/en/articles/accessories/the-moto-guzzi-media-platform-connects-v7-iii-to-the-world/index.html

"The Moto Guzzi multimedia platform is available as an option for the new V7 III range. MG-MP is the innovative multimedia system, which allows you to connect the bike to your smartphone. Thanks to a dedicated application, downloadable free from App Store and Google Play, your smartphone (iPhone or Android) becomes an actual sophisticated on board multifunctional computer and the link between the vehicle and the Internet. The Bluetooth connection allows you to simultaneously view five parameters of your choice at a time, selected from a vast menu and including the speedometer, rev counter, instant power, instant torque, instant and average fuel consumption, average speed and battery voltage, longitudinal acceleration and extended trip computer. The “Eco Ride” feature helps to limit fuel consumption and to maintain eco-compatible riding conduct, providing a brief assessment of the results obtained during the trip."
« Last Edit: March 03, 2019, 06:51:02 PM by Kev m »
Current Fleet

18 Guzzi V7III Carbon Dark
13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline sign216

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #66 on: March 03, 2019, 06:53:31 PM »
https://wide.piaggiogroup.com/en/articles/accessories/the-moto-guzzi-media-platform-connects-v7-iii-to-the-world/index.html

"The Moto Guzzi multimedia platform is available as an option for the new V7 III range. MG-MP is the innovative multimedia system, which allows you to connect the bike to your smartphone. Thanks to a dedicated application, downloadable free from App Store and Google Play, your smartphone (iPhone or Android) becomes an actual sophisticated on board multifunctional computer and the link between the vehicle and the Internet. The Bluetooth connection allows you to simultaneously view five parameters of your choice at a time, selected from a vast menu and including the speedometer, rev counter, instant power, instant torque, instant and average fuel consumption, average speed and battery voltage, longitudinal acceleration and extended trip computer. The “Eco Ride” feature helps to limit fuel consumption and to maintain eco-compatible riding conduct, providing a brief assessment of the results obtained during the trip."

Thanks, but that's not what Guzzi riders are looking for.
We are not on the cutting edge of the moon landing.

Just give me a gauge on the dash.
09 Guzzi V7C
58 BMW R50
65 Gilera 106
69 Benelli 350

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #67 on: March 03, 2019, 07:09:08 PM »
Thanks, but that's not what Guzzi riders are looking for.
We are not on the cutting edge of the moon landing.

Just give me a gauge on the dash.

Well I'm glad that's settled and we now know you can speak globally for all who buy new Guzzis.
Current Fleet

13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline sign216

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #68 on: March 03, 2019, 08:54:57 PM »
Well I'm glad that's settled and we now know you can speak globally for all who buy new Guzzis.

Oh, and make it analog. 
09 Guzzi V7C
58 BMW R50
65 Gilera 106
69 Benelli 350

Offline Buckturgidson

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #69 on: March 03, 2019, 09:14:04 PM »
The stock suspension on my '17 VIII Special trashed my back. I replaced it with Ikon shocks and springs. It now handles better and my back couldn't be happier!
Hopefully the stock suspension has been upgraded. I owned a 2013 V7 Special and the rear suspension was the worst. Riding it home from Vegas my neck was killing me, I weigh 170-175 lbs. so I cannot imagine how bad it would be for someone heavier. I smacked the kick-stand down in a tight left-hander and almost high-sided into an outcrop. That was when I decided to sell it.
"It's not your job to be as confused as Nigel." -Spinal Tap.
"Wagner's music is better than it sounds." -Mark Twain

'86 Yamaha SRX-6
'07 Norge, Rosina, the classy one

Offline twowheeladdict

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #70 on: March 04, 2019, 07:16:51 AM »
Hopefully the stock suspension has been upgraded. I owned a 2013 V7 Special and the rear suspension was the worst. Riding it home from Vegas my neck was killing me, I weigh 170-175 lbs. so I cannot imagine how bad it would be for someone heavier. I smacked the kick-stand down in a tight left-hander and almost high-sided into an outcrop. That was when I decided to sell it.

Instead of suspending it for your weight and riding style? Alrighty then.

Most of my "budget" bikes got suspension updates.  All of my touring bikes got suspension upgrades.

All of my trucks get suspension upgrades.
2022 Moto Guzzi V85TT Guardia D'onore
2018 V7 III Carbon Dark #0009 of 1921
2018 Road Glide Special
2021 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2017 Suzuki Van Van 200
2009 Harley Davidson Softail Custom

Offline Roebling3

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #71 on: March 05, 2019, 09:15:23 AM »
I'm totally w/sign216. Extraneous, barely useful information cossetted in a telephone? You stop somewhere to try and absorb Too Much Information; while paying zero attention to your surroundings? Realizing nothing has changed (and you wasted 5, 10 or more minutes), you put the fone away, get back on the bike and ride off, pondering; Damn! Nothing was wrong. When should I next look? You're displacing the fun of motorcycling. Acting like a teenager, driving mom's car, cell fone in hand.  BANG! 
BTW: Ever been 'in the zone' while riding? Driving?  Enjoy the ride.  R3~ 

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #72 on: March 05, 2019, 09:39:59 AM »
No one is forcing anyone to buy the mutli-media kit.

I could see how it could be fun or useful, but it's just a toy like most things.

Then again, same thing is said for a bike, with or without a tach.

Look I think it's monumentally stupid they didn't AT LEAST give you the option to display the tach data in the odo like EVERY SINGLE OTHER MANUFACTURER has of late who has left off an analog tach, but hey, that's Guzzi.

I'm still not about to get up in arms about it.

Meh, it is what it is.

I really like our Carbon.
Current Fleet

13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline s1120

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #73 on: March 05, 2019, 09:59:09 AM »
No one is forcing anyone to buy the mutli-media kit.

I could see how it could be fun or useful, but it's just a toy like most things.

Then again, same thing is said for a bike, with or without a tach.

Look I think it's monumentally stupid they didn't AT LEAST give you the option to display the tach data in the odo like EVERY SINGLE OTHER MANUFACTURER has of late who has left off an analog tach, but hey, that's Guzzi.

I'm still not about to get up in arms about it.

Meh, it is what it is.

I really like our Carbon.

I agree... nowadays its just so easy...the tech is there...    That being said the one thing I really dont like about my Cali stone is no tach....   I really want to add one!!!!
Paul B

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #74 on: March 05, 2019, 10:05:31 AM »
I agree... nowadays its just so easy...the tech is there...    That being said the one thing I really dont like about my Cali stone is no tach....   I really want to add one!!!!

Full disclosure, I did add one to my Jackal - Autometer and a small custom figure-8 bracket that held it onto the OEM speedo housing.

I also added one to our last two Sportsters (14+ models have it in the CANbus odo display as an option). Cost was not cheap on either of the OEM ones I added to the Sporty, probably more than that multi-media kit (I'm scared to check).

I was also glad the Police RK came with one standard (as the more expensive civilian ones don't come with one, though again you can use the ODO on the civilian models).

So yeah, technically the Carbon is the only bike in the fleet without one.

Just like BOTH the V7s are the only bikes in the fleet without dual discs.

Oh the things we do for love...
Current Fleet

13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline s1120

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #75 on: March 05, 2019, 10:08:28 AM »
Full disclosure, I did add one to my Jackal - Autometer and a small custom figure-8 bracket that held it onto the OEM speedo housing.

I also added one to our last two Sportsters (14+ models have it in the CANbus odo display as an option). Cost was not cheap on either of the OEM ones I added to the Sporty, probably more than that multi-media kit (I'm scared to check).

I was also glad the Police RK came with one standard (as the more expensive civilian ones don't come with one, though again you can use the ODO on the civilian models).

So yeah, technically the Carbon is the only bike in the fleet without one.

Just like BOTH the V7s are the only bikes in the fleet without dual discs.

Oh the things we do for love...

I think i read your post on the Jackel..  I like how that turned out, and am thinking the same setup..  Some of the bike tachs are WAY up in price.... and some pretty cheap... Still need to do some research on it...  Either way... I like a tach... 
Paul B

Offline Guzzi Gal

• MOTO GUZZI~Because your heart is in the bike, and the bike is in your heart. ~Huzo~
  • Gaggle Hero
    • Sonoran Sunriders, YouTube
« Reply #76 on: March 05, 2019, 11:59:34 AM »
Fleabay has a multimedia unit for $175. plus $25. for shipping (Italy) and the installation kit for $70. plus $16 in shipping (Ohio via Cadre).  Add a RAM or other mount for your phone...  You get the picture.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2019, 12:20:35 PM by Guzzi Gal »
:bow: Thanks for enabling my MG obsession! :bow:
"Anni" '17 Moto Guzzi V7 III Anniversario #220/1000,
"Velvet" '16 Honda CTX 700,
"Brigitte", AKA "Gigi" '13 Vespa GTS 300ie,
"Grey Wind" '12 Vespa GTS 300 Super,  
The twin '16 Honda Metropolitans
"Miri" and Mori"

Offline Rhodan

• Gosling
« Reply #77 on: March 05, 2019, 12:48:28 PM »
Look I think it's monumentally stupid they didn't AT LEAST give you the option to display the tach data in the odo like EVERY SINGLE OTHER MANUFACTURER has of late who has left off an analog tach, but hey, that's Guzzi

This!  Ah well.  Lovin' the bike.

Offline Rhodan

• Gosling
« Reply #78 on: March 05, 2019, 12:54:13 PM »
Fleabay has a multimedia unit for $175. plus $25. for shipping (Italy) and the installation kit for $70. plus $16 in shipping (Ohio via Cadre).  Add a RAM or other mount for your phone...  You get the picture.

For folks who are interested in maybe getting the unit: you can download the phone app and play around with the screens.  Obviously it doesn't show any data from your bike but you can check out features, readability, etc. for free.

I ended up with a "meh" reaction (agree with R3's assessment) but it might really float someone's boat.

Offline sign216

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #79 on: March 05, 2019, 04:16:04 PM »
I'm totally w/sign216. Extraneous, barely useful information cossetted in a telephone? You stop somewhere to try and absorb Too Much Information; while paying zero attention to your surroundings? Realizing nothing has changed (and you wasted 5, 10 or more minutes), you put the fone away, get back on the bike and ride off, pondering; Damn! Nothing was wrong. When should I next look? You're displacing the fun of motorcycling. Acting like a teenager, driving mom's car, cell fone in hand.  BANG! 
BTW: Ever been 'in the zone' while riding? Driving?  Enjoy the ride.  R3~

Thanks.   And I mean, really?  At best the phone's information console is best used by a mechanic, after taking a test lap. 
But I, and most riders, just want to look at the instrument panel, see some data, and keep riding.
If I have to scroll down my phone while riding .... well, that's not why I (and Roebling) ride. 
09 Guzzi V7C
58 BMW R50
65 Gilera 106
69 Benelli 350

Offline usedtobefast

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #80 on: March 05, 2019, 04:41:33 PM »
I looked into the multimedia option ... could not find anyone that ever got it to work.  And, no returns on electronics & software ... so the people that bought it were stuck with it!

Not sure if the people trying just weren't good at tech and gave up, but in all my googling no one had it working. 

2017 V7 iii Racer
2017 Griso
2016 Stornello
2000 Red Quota
Want a black/green 1000S big valve :)

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #81 on: March 05, 2019, 05:45:48 PM »
Thanks.   And I mean, really?  At best the phone's information console is best used by a mechanic, after taking a test lap. 
But I, and most riders, just want to look at the instrument panel, see some data, and keep riding.
If I have to scroll down my phone while riding .... well, that's not why I (and Roebling) ride.

Look i haven't used it, I may never.

But according to the sales pitch there's no scrolling necessary. You can set it up to display up to 5 data points as it sits in a mount, visible like a dash. Or not, up to you.
Current Fleet

13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline Kiwi_Roy

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #82 on: March 05, 2019, 06:26:55 PM »
I tried to convince my SIL who writes apps for a living that there's a market for a stripped down version of GuzziDiag for a phone.
72 Eldorado
17 V7iii Special
76 Convert
Half a V9 Roamer

Moto Guzzi - making electricians out of riders since March 15 1921

Offline rss29

• Hatchling
« Reply #83 on: March 05, 2019, 07:04:07 PM »
For folks who are interested in maybe getting the unit: you can download the phone app and play around with the screens.  Obviously it doesn't show any data from your bike but you can check out features, readability, etc. for free.

I ended up with a "meh" reaction (agree with R3's assessment) but it might really float someone's boat.
I think these Bluetooth modules are great. Many manufacturers are offering them now. It's an inexpensive way to add a bunch of extra tech. I'm a tech and data guy though. One of the big factors in the decision to get my recent Triumph was the tech and beautiful color dash. I can't wait for the Bluetooth module to be released that will let me control my GoPro, music and Google maps from the dash.

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #84 on: March 06, 2019, 09:59:06 AM »
I started a new thread for the talk about the Multi-Media Interface:

https://wildguzzi.com/forum/index.php?topic=100004.new#new

Current Fleet

13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline Rhodan

• Gosling
« Reply #85 on: March 20, 2019, 10:12:18 AM »
Finally ordered the rest of the things for the bike.  Hopefully they all get here before the Spring trip.

Givi rack.  I'm not going with a topcase.  We'll see if I change my mind.  If I do, I'm set up for it.
Givi Dolomiti 30L cases.
A Givi windscreen.  I'm still waiting for my Madstad to show up and I've been freezing in the meantime.  A bad splurge but hopefully I can sell the Givi when the Madstad shows up and recoup a bit of the money.

Installing the crash bars and LED front light this evening (I hope).

I'm not missing the tachometer too much.  I will be changing the shift light warning to a higher rev once the break-in period is done.
Currently have the traction control set at '1'.  Seems to be fine; we'll see what it's like to ride in rain.

Offline Rhodan

• Gosling
« Reply #86 on: March 20, 2019, 11:42:15 AM »
Oh, and I ended up cheaping out on the voltage meter.  I decided for now, understanding the charge on the battery was good enough.  I just got something that plugs into my Battery Tender leads and tells me the current charge.

Offline Thirtyaughtsix

• Gosling
« Reply #87 on: March 20, 2019, 12:02:36 PM »
Finally ordered the rest of the things for the bike.  Hopefully they all get here before the Spring trip.

Givi rack.  I'm not going with a topcase.  We'll see if I change my mind.  If I do, I'm set up for it.
Givi Dolomiti 30L cases.
A Givi windscreen.  I'm still waiting for my Madstad to show up and I've been freezing in the meantime.  A bad splurge but hopefully I can sell the Givi when the Madstad shows up and recoup a bit of the money.

Installing the crash bars and LED front light this evening (I hope).

I'm not missing the tachometer too much.  I will be changing the shift light warning to a higher rev once the break-in period is done.
Currently have the traction control set at '1'.  Seems to be fine; we'll see what it's like to ride in rain.

Let me know how the led bulb swap goes, wondering how getting into the V7 III bucket will be
2019 V7 III Stone " Murci "
1975 850T " Guzziaughtsix "

Offline Rhodan

• Gosling
« Reply #88 on: March 20, 2019, 08:03:11 PM »
I haven't actually used it yet:  I have one question about a cover-gasket thing that I'm going to research and/or ask my dealer about.  Having said that, it was pretty straightforward considering I'd never replaced a motorcycle lamp before.  The fit is good.

Remove the bottom screw on the light, lift the bezel up.  Unplug the original lamp.  Remove a retaining clip (two wings on one side just need to be squeezed toward each other).  Pull the original light out.  Put in Ring Adapter that came with the new LED lamp.  Get the retaining clip back in position (easier to do without the led lamp being in place).  Put the lamp in:  appears to fit fine.  Re-attach the retaining clip.  Plug it in.  Put the bezel back in place and screw it back together.

The one thing I have a question about is there is a soft plastic gasket looking thingie between the original lamp and where it plugged into the bike's wiring.  I can see how it would be useful but I can't imagine I should put it back on:  it would be sitting right on the LED's heat sink.  That sounds like a recipe for slagging.  But who knows *shrug*.  I'll see what I can find out.

This particular LED lamp is:  Pathfinderled mini h4 LED headlight bulb.  UBH04.  Direct replacement upgrade.  3200 LM/3600 LM - 6000k bright white.  List price is around $40.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2019, 08:12:38 PM by Rhodan »

Offline Rhodan

• Gosling
« Reply #89 on: March 20, 2019, 10:05:36 PM »
I also found this thread on LED replacement lamps for the V7III.  Lots of good info.
https://wildguzzi.com/forum/index.php?topic=95759.0

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here