Author Topic: The oddest piece of debris you ever cleared out of the road...Non Guzzi Content  (Read 11896 times)

oldbike54

A 2 year old homo sapien . Yes , you read that right . Poring rain , limited viz , highway 59 in Oklahoma just North of Idabel . Mom didn't even say thanks , just gave me a GTH look and went back to her potato chips and beer . Not gonna repeat what I called this woman .
 Dusty

Offline Edo

• Hatchling
Commuted for a few years on the Washington Beltway. Saw a lot of things, but no bodies. However, I finally did see the kitchen sink; cast iron, white, in far left lane. I wasn't in that lane, so no lightning fast reflexes required. But I did feel a sense of satisfaction for finally spotting that last object on my list.
'13 Norge
'00 V11 Sport
'83 1000SP
Milton, Delaware

rocketcaptain

A 2 year old homo sapien . Yes , you read that right . Poring rain , limited viz , highway 59 in Oklahoma just North of Idabel . Mom didn't even say thanks , just gave me a GTH look and went back to her potato chips and beer . Not gonna repeat what I called this woman .
 Dusty

You shoulda brought it home with you.  That's where I get all my dogs and cats that need a decent home.

Offline Muzz

• Gaggle Hero
  • On the backside of the planet.
Not as exciting as any of the previous.

Was in my works vehicle not long after the Feb earthquake, driving along the outer lane of a three lane avenue. A truck next to me just caught a very large rock with it's rear tire and fired it in to my vehicle. Made a hell of a noise. Pulled off the first chance I could to inspect the damage. It actually caught the wheel trip and put some rather nasty cracks in it. Went and removed the offending rock from the middle of the road as soon as I could reach it. Would certainly take out a motorcyclist.
Muzz. Cristchurch, New Zealand
03 Breva

Life is just a bowl of Allbran
Ya wake up in the morning and it's there

Wildguzzi.com

oldbike54

You shoulda brought it home with you.  That's where I get all my dogs and cats that need a decent home.

Yeah , sad to say even as screwed up as I was at the time , the kid would have at least been on a leash  :o :D Seriously , that incident has haunted me for years , a second later and that poor kid would have been under my car.
Dusty

Offline Waterbottle

• Gaggle Mentor
We were following a Nissan Patrol 4x4 towing a Pop- Top caravan when the large Fibreglass roof of the van came off at around 80 kph. Was coming straight at us ,about 16 ft high 8 ft wide, and just as the Poo started to come out , it turned sideways in the air and missed us by a feeler gauge width.
I caught up to the driver and waved him down, he was totally oblivious to what had happened, thought I was trying to Road Rage him, his reponse       " Don't worry about it "
My thanks to the manufacturers of Brown underwear.
2015 Griso SE Rosso
2012 Stelvio 8V
2009 Griso R  Track only
76 GT 750 Suzuki
If you Ride a Griso, You need Tyres with Gription

zzrider

Years ago - maybe 40 - I was heading out of Frenchglen, Oregon - a dot on the map in SE Oregon. On the steep switchback south of town a semi full of cattle had tuned over. Smashed cows, half-smashed cows moaning, dazed and injured cows wandering around on the and off the highway. Some running off into the desert. It was horrifying, and still lodged in my mind like a bad dream

Offline Guzzistajohn

• Gaggle Hero
Diamond back rattle snake :-\
ебать Россию!   Not anti social-pro solitude

Rough Edge racing

Not exactly cleared...but...A woman who was carrying a bag of groceries laying face down in the road ..No one paid much attention and traffic was driving around her. This was in NJ near NYC
  Riding a 650 Triumph in heavy traffic  following a flat bed truck/trailer hauling a dozer when a piece of wood chocking fell off the trailer. No where to serve so I cringed and ran over the board at 50 mph. The bike bounced over the lumber and continued on like nothing had happened...Other than a smile in the rim...  >:(  And the board got flung to the shoulder.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2014, 05:51:39 AM by Rough Edge racing »

Offline Crusty

• Gaggle Hero
  • You can't put a price on Worthlessness.
A 20 ton bottle jack. I strapped it onto the back seat of my bike and still have it.
"I think Congressmen should wear uniforms, you know, like NASCAR drivers, so we could identify their corporate sponsors."

'07 Norge

Online normzone

• Gaggle Hero
  • '72 Eldo - 1980 to 1990 - '99 Bassa 2014 - 2023
Yesterday the freeway slowed to a stop, and I found a mattress in the next lane. I waved to the guy in that lane and put the bike on the side stand (idling still, we'll come back to that) and with my head on a swivel dragged the mattress out of lanes.

The guy whose lane it was in blocked diagonal for me, I threw him a salute as I got out of there. Then I washed my bike at the spray wash as planned.

Afterwards I noticed my oil light was on. I figure I either have a wet oil sensor or I damaged my engine leaving it idling on the side stand. Time will tell...

UPDATE: After a couple of days of the bike sitting in it's carport space, I rode to work today and no oil light issue.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2016, 11:43:01 AM by normzone »
That's the combustion chamber of the turbo shaft. It is supposed to be on fire. You just don't usually see it but the case and fairing fell off.

oldbike54

Turtles!

I don't know how many turtles I've rescued over the decades.  A habit I picked up as a child from my Dad--remember him stopping the station wagon one hot summer day in Georgia to pick up a turtle.  A habit

If there are turtles in heaven, I expect there will be cheering when I arrive.

Stopping for a turtle saved my life a couple of years back , the slight delay kept me from crashing into a truck that came around a blind corner on the wrong side of the road .
 Coming home from Cedar Vale last year there was a group effort to rescue a couple of of turtles crossing the highway , fun stuff .

Dusty

Offline Two Checks

• Gaggle Hero
As a former MODoT employee I'veseen a lot.
Hit a flying wheelbarrow one night on a C10 Kaw doing about 65.
A guy in a NEW Blazer ran over it.
My son is a vol firefighter and responded to a crash. Personal item were scattered everywhere. Sems the gal driving the car had a spat with her girlfriend and was moving and crashed.
All her "toys"were scattered about. The girl'd dad ordered y son to pick the stuff up so she wouldn't be embarrassed. He told the guy it was bad enough to touch herto get her out of he car he wasn't touching her things.
1990 Cal III f/f  "Il Duce' III"
1987 1000 SPII "Il Duce' II"

Offline Waltr

• Gaggle Mentor
    • Europa Macchina
  I once was on the Wash DC Beltway and crossing the Cabin John Bridge there was a toilet in the middle of the road.  I did not cross six lanes of traffic to move it, I would be certainly too bashful  to use it.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2016, 02:10:09 PM by Waltr »
Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
www.motoguzzipa.com

2012 Norge

Orange Guzzi

A man I hit and killed with a car. 

Long story.  I hit him, but we could not find him.  He ended up stuck under the car that was following behind me.  We, the other driver and I thought he went over the bridge guardrail and into the Ohio river.  Little old lady came walking up and ask what we were doing.  She then pointed under the car and said there is something under there, did you look?  Sad and ugly day. 

Pulled a Cardinal bird out of my coat sleeve one time.  Not very pretty either.  It's pecker went thru my glove and poop out its behind.

Offline rtbickel

• Gaggle Mentor
Half of a cow.  I was working on a small ranch in central Texas in about 1985 and was driving along inspecting fence when I saw a flock of buzzards and came upon the back half of the cow in the drainage ditch and the front half laying in the county road about 20 feet away.  It had happened in the last hour or so since I was coming back from the end of the fenceline.  Looks like a semi hit it at speed and kept going as there was a clearance light  bar laying near the front half.  I reunited the halves in the ditch with a few nudges of the truck.  There was a buzzard party for the next few days as I had to fix the front end loader first so I could get it to the dump.  On the upside it wasn't one of the cows from the ranch and didn't have a brand and no one claimed it.
2020 V85TT
2002 California Special Sport - The Black Widow
2014 California Touring - Stealth (Gone but not forgotten)

Online Antietam Classic Cycle

• Gaggle Hero
  • Happily stuck in the past.
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
Last Fall near Williamsport, MD - a garden rake laying in the road, tines up. Fell off of a landscaping truck I'm guessing.
Charlie

HardAspie

aluminum construction ladder. i countersteered the wing hard and did glance downward to see my right hand cylinder head pass over it.

later, in my cordoba - finest corinthian leather - i steered hard and got the front wheel to miss...but not the rear, a small engine like a briggs. tore all hell out of a brand new tyre.

Offline cloudbase

• Gaggle Hero
If any of you guys find a left side H-B 40 liter bag somewhere between Bozeman and Butte, it's mine.

Offline RANDM

• Gaggle Mentor
The one that always comes to mind was one of those one
piece roof racks full of camping gear all nicely tied in place,
Right side up and all intact.

Maurie.

twowings

A crate of live chickens at 9:30 at night which took out the left front headlight and fender of my '60 VW Bug...can't imagine why a full 6V of illumination didn't warn me in advance  :grin:

Offline kirkemon

• Gaggle Mentor
I once picked up a kickstand from a Triumph Bonneville.
Come to think of it, that's not really odd. :grin:
Kirk

oldbike54

I once picked up a kickstand from a Triumph Bonneville.
Come to think of it, that's not really odd. :grin:

Probably one I lost  :rolleyes: We are still looking for Fubarguzzi's yellow convert sidestand , it is somewhere in Kansas  :laugh:

Dusty

kirby1923

Probably one I lost  :rolleyes: We are still looking for Fubarguzzi's yellow convert sidestand , it is somewhere in Kansas  :laugh:

Dusty

Poor FUBAR at the first CV he had to lean his Vert against a tree!!! But he pulled a 300# picnic table a third way across the park so we could have a place to sit that nite around the camp fire.
He told me the worst was trying to fuel the thing on the way home without any stand. either center or side.

BRAVO, the IRS should cut him some slack for perseverance (if they only knew)

:-) 

Online Gliderjohn

• Gaggle Hero
How about leaving debris? Back in the 70s me and another driver were trucking honey bees on I-35. It was cool enough that we didn't need the nets. Due to that we had a bundle of tack boards for the nets complete with the nails tied to the back of the truck. At our next stop we realized that we had dropped the bundle. Probably ruined a lot of drivers' day and made some tire repair people happy. Oops!
GliderJohn
« Last Edit: April 13, 2016, 08:11:18 PM by oldbike54 »
John Peters
East Mountains, NM

Offline lucian

• Gaggle Hero
Not so much 'dangerous' per se but last year I was driving back to Bungendore from Queanbeyan and my eyes just noticed something at the side of the road. It was one of those "WTF?" Moments but there was nothing behind me so I slowed down and chucked a U-Turn and went back thinking "That can't of been what it looked like!" But it was! A large yellow vibrator! And it still had batteries in and worked! :D

I gingerly picked it up and took it home and washed it, (Thoroughly!) and took it down the pub where it caused a degree of hilarity that afternoon! As I said, not dangerous but I suppose you could of taken someone's eye out with it!

What still mystifies me is how it got there? I mean you can't imagine someone using it in their car and then thinking the best thing to do would be chuck it out on the side of the road??? There really is now't queer as folks!

Pete

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Nothing worse than loosing a good tool.  Might be some reward money in it for ya Pete.  :laugh: :laugh:

Offline giusto

• Gaggle Hero
  • Giusto il canne del Como
    • photobucket
8 foot step ladder

Thank you
2020 V 85 TT Travel
76 V1000 Convert Mr. Slate
76 V1000 Convert...in restoration process
2008 Norge Mia
2007 Breva
66 Benelli 125
68 Gilera 106
è il viaggio non la destinazione che è importante

Offline Sasquatch Jim

• Gaggle Hero
  • Sidecar - Best drive by shooting vehicle ever
 Hey Pete, when you found that device was it still running?
 Maybe some pantyless miniskirted pillion passenger had a blow out.
Sasquatch Jim        Humanoid, sort of.

Offline Testarossa

• Gaggle Hero
    • Skiing History
Road-kill puma.  Middle of the night on a snowpacked road west of Craig, Colorado.  I did NOT move her from the road.
70 Triumph TR6R, 74 850T, 74 Yamaha TA125, 89 Mille GT, 99 F650, 2013 Yamaha XT250
Gone: 59 Piper Comanche 250, 69 Harley/Aermacchi 350SS, 71 Honda CB500/4, 74 Laverda 750 SF2, 91 Suzuki VX800, 50cc two-stroke scoot, 83 XR350R

Offline coastdude

• New Egg
Interesting question, all the bad objects I've encountered have been in QLD. A ladder open and on its side, lengths of steel rod, timber off- cuts (which I had to ride over with my wife asleep on the back of the Pantah) and a 4ft carpenters clamp on a roundabout that I was able to rescue and find a new home for. A local who lives in the bush around here told me to check under some of our old wooden bridges for objects bounced out of the back of utes, he showed me a very nice vintage Plumb axe and tools that he had found doing this.
Don't try to eat anything larger than your head
2015 V7II Special
1982 Ducati 600 Pantah

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here