Author Topic: New car, chipped windshield. Replace or fill in? NGC  (Read 11444 times)

Offline Tony/CT

• Gaggle Mentor
New car, chipped windshield. Replace or fill in? NGC
« on: January 31, 2015, 12:46:52 PM »
I just picked up my new Subaru Forester Thursday. Decided to take it for a ride today on the highway, check out the cruise control and see how it handles. A pebble chips the windshield, about 1/4 inch long. It's not in my vision or the passenger side but under the mirror. I could have the whole windshield replaced, but I am reluctant to have anyone messing around with a windshield replacement or I can have that little crack drilled and filled in, which is what I am leaning towards. I never buy new cars in the winter for this reason, but this one was sitting on the showroom floor when I brought my other one in for servicing and it was exactly what I would have ordered so I bought it. When I was a kid and something like this would happen my mother would say, "hey, it only happens to the living, so be thankful you're alive." Just curious as to what others would do under these circumstances so decided to put it to fellow Guzzi riders, the ultimate in practicality and self sufficiency!! ;-T

Offline davedel44

• Gaggle Hero
Re: New car, chipped windshield. Replace or fill in? NGC
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2015, 12:51:25 PM »
Insurance will usually pay for fix.  Chechnya and do it soon before it spreads.  No need to replace.

Dave
Galveston
Bambino- 2013 V7 Stone

Offline Red07

• Hatchling
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2015, 01:00:47 PM »
 With my luck, 2 days after I replaced the windshield, it would happen again!!  Unless your insurance would cover most or all of the replacement, I would just have the chip fixed.  Usually it just leaves a small mark and is unnoticeable.  If your like me, I hate to buy something new, only to have to fix/repair/repaint.  Just doesn't seem to be as good as when it left the factory.  Especially if they need to pull the dash apart  or start messing with door panels.  Always seems to create some sort of rattle.

Either way is up to you.  Both would be fine.  I'd say fix the chip and go from there.

Randy

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2015, 01:08:54 PM »
Insurance will usually pay for fix.  Chechnya and do it soon before it spreads.  No need to replace.

Dave
Galveston

Careful!  Insurance will pay for windshield, then you'll pay the insurance company back.   We claimed against the insurance for a gravel crack in our 2002 Buick windshield in 2004, State Farm.

They replaced it, then raised our premiums for 2 years because of our claim history.   The premium increase would have almost paid for the windshield.   We don't carry comprehensive insurance any more .... it just doesn't pay.

Lannis
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2015, 01:08:54 PM »

Penderic

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2015, 01:19:33 PM »
Several cars with replaced windshields that I have seen, had trouble with leaks or had noticeable distortion. More chance of trouble later. If the chip is small and fixable I would do that first.

BigDave in PA

« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2015, 01:29:15 PM »
Chances are if you have the insurance co. replace it you'll wind up with a distortion plagued aftermarket and possible leaks. I would see about a professional repair. Most insurance companies will wave your deductible for a repair.

Offline RinkRat II

• Gaggle Hero
  • Lake Powell AZ
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2015, 01:46:30 PM »
Similar deal on my then new Avenger, repaired it and I only see it when I wash it !

Paul :BEER:
A Miller in the hand is worth two in the fridge.

Offline Vince in Milwaukee

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2015, 02:00:21 PM »
Barb's Mazda got hit by a flying pebble last summer.  Luckily, it was in an unnoticeable spot, also.  For @$100 we had it fixed at one of those chain windshield repair places.  Not worth the bother of telling the insurance company, as they'd be sure to screw you over later.  
« Last Edit: January 31, 2015, 02:07:35 PM by Vince in Milwaukee »
1984 Moto Guzzi 850 LeMans III, 1986 California II
Gone but not forgotten:
1969 Moto Guzzi Ambo, 1994 BMW K75RTw/ABS, 1996 BMW R1100RT, and 1993 BMW K75

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2015, 02:11:22 PM »
I'd pay $20 and do the Super Glue fix.  And actually did that on my new Accord (probably with 6k miles on it then, 8k on it now).

You're gonna get some chips. 

If you're freaked now, what will you do when you get a door ding?
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Offline Perazzimx14

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2015, 02:45:56 PM »
I've only ever had one windshield repaired and it was horrible. The spot was raised ever so slightly so every time you used the wipers there was a streak. I will never get another repaired. Now I wait until it has cracked and get a new windshield. I've had 5 or 6 replacements in the past and never had any trouble with leaks or bad glass.
2021 Moto Guzzi V85TT Guardia D'onore
2017 V7 III Carbon Dark #0008 of 1921
2017 Road Glide Special
2020 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2016 Suzuki Van Van 200

Offline Rich A

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2015, 03:48:09 PM »
Another consideration. For a variable amount of time after a new model is introduced, replacement windscreens are only available from the manufacturer, or so I was told. That means expensive ($4-500, maybe more). After a time, much cheaper ($150-200)--but still serviceable--after market replacements become available. Dunno if non-OEM glass is available for the 014 Forester yet, but some phone calls should tell you.

Two chips in my Forester's windshield. May replace it may not.

Rich A

Offline Stormtruck2

• AKA Scotch and Cigars
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Geese Fly in a Proper V
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2015, 04:14:54 PM »
I got a chip in my 99 Super Duty F-250.  Had it filled by Nova or what ever that windshield company is, and fifteen years later it is still almost unnoticeable.  Pay out of pocket and have it filled.  Mine hasn't cracked, fogged or gone bad yet.  That is after 200,000 miles of travel after having it fixed.  Think it cost me $45 in 99 to have it done.  ;-T
If you wish to know what a man is, place in him authority.
False accusations reflect more on the accuser than the accused.
They can take everything from you, including your life, except your honor and integrity.  That you must give away.
Do or don't do. There is no try.
μολὼν λαβέ-molṑn labé

Offline Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
Re:
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2015, 04:50:40 PM »
I've had literally a half dozen or more windshields fixed and a number replaced all on late-model, new or nearly new vehicles.

Both our current vehicles (Jeep and Juke) had repairs in the first few months. So did our last two Subarus.

Jenn's Mini Cooper had TWO replaced and at least one of them repaired.

We had no problems with any of them.
Current Fleet

18 Guzzi V7III Carbon Dark
13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline Yukonica

• Gaggle Hero
    • Borealbreeze Bernese Mountain Dogs
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2015, 12:04:59 AM »
I'm on side with Kev m. Replacing a windshield is no more complex than getting fresh rubber on your rims.
Dept of Highways up here uses sand/gravel rather than salt.
Auto insurers will offer replacement clauses but it costs more than your annual with a $500 deductible. Therefore it is rare to see a vehicle with an intact windshield.
That said: I've had the windshield on my JK replaced three times. No leaks, no rattles; just a fresh piece of glass for oncoming rocks.
.... and what's this talk about distortion?... They're installing a fitted piece of glass: its not lexan.
The only thing that would create distortion is unusual pressure across the frame; like the kind you'd see in a roll-over.
One may write one's destiny but the unknown delivers it.

Offline Jerryd

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2015, 05:36:16 AM »
Wow, I wonder where some of you guys drive? I've owned many different cars for 50 years, and was on the road for business a good part of that time. I only had one windshield replaced, and that was just last year on my Tundra. A 1/2" chip suddenly became a 12" crack. Called a local guy who replaced it with an OEM windshield. It was as good as new, and much clearer then the original that had 65,000 miles of mostly Interstate driving.
Jerry
Florida

Rough Edge racing

« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2015, 06:19:13 AM »
 I had a few windshields replaced because of cracks caused by road debris. I drive stuff like older  Jeeps or PU trucks with relatively inexpensive easier to change windshields so my Insurance Co. just pays for a replacement, 100 percent. I don't carry collision just 500 buck deductible comprehensive with full glass coverage.  My rates have never been raised for windshield replacements or the one minor accident I had in the last 30 years.

Offline Steve Cas

• Gosling
« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2015, 07:38:50 AM »
BAD KARMA

That car is doomed to bad luck.  Dont drive at all, best to give it to your step kids and buy another one!
 ;D   ;D

Offline Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
Re: Re: New car, chipped windshield. Replace or fill in? NGC
« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2015, 08:44:07 AM »
Wow, I wonder where some of you guys drive? I've owned many different cars for 50 years, and was on the road for business a good part of that time. I only had one windshield replaced, and that was just last year on my Tundra. A 1/2" chip suddenly became a 12" crack. Called a local guy who replaced it with an OEM windshield. It was as good as new, and much clearer then the original that had 65,000 miles of mostly Interstate driving.
I imagine we see a LOT more rocks/gravel and salt in the winter in PA and NJ than FL and NC.

Not to mention PA road maintenance is absolutely HORRIBLE. one trend I've noticed in the last decade (at least in the Philly burbs) was that as rural roads got in bad enough shape instead of repaving they started to oil and chip stone only the outer HALF of each lane.

They'd repeat the process, sometimes even annually, and use oil and chip stone on the smaller portholes anywhere on the road.

It's a freaking mess.

NJ seems a lot better.... Though we still get the winter road treatments.
Current Fleet

13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
Re: Re: New car, chipped windshield. Replace or fill in? NGC
« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2015, 08:49:37 AM »
BAD KARMA

That car is doomed to bad luck.  Dont drive at all, best to give it to your step kids and buy another one!
 ;D   ;D
Back in 03 when I surprised my bride with a new Mini Cooper S at our wedding she drove it to the start of her first semester of med school the day after we got back from our honeymoon.

Where, a block from the school, a tractor trailer lost sight of her at an intersection and idled into the BRAND NEW CAR waiting for the night to change.

That WAS an omen, as that car would be got hit 6 times in the six or so years she had it. Three of which were hit and runs, one so bad it crushed the hood and left a clear impression of the hitch receiver, draw bar, and ball.

That plus the windshields... We kept our insurance busy.
Current Fleet

13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline Cam3512

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #19 on: February 01, 2015, 09:21:23 AM »
Tony,

Your insurance should cover a chip repair with no deductible or rate hikes.  Find a place like Safelite to come out to your driveway and do it.  Then forget about it and tell Karen to stop running into flying rocks.

Cam
Cam in NJ
'67 Stornello Scrambler
'71 Ambo Police
'74 V7 Sport
‘20 V85TT

http://mgnocnj.forumotion.com

Offline redrider90

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #20 on: February 01, 2015, 12:25:17 PM »
Careful!  Insurance will pay for windshield, then you'll pay the insurance company back.   We claimed against the insurance for a gravel crack in our 2002 Buick windshield in 2004, State Farm.

They replaced it, then raised our premiums for 2 years because of our claim history.   The premium increase would have almost paid for the windshield.   We don't carry comprehensive insurance any more .... it just doesn't pay.

Lannis

Interesting as I have never heard of an insurance company giving points for a cracked windshield. That and hitting a deer and downed trees are considered "free from points" by insurance companies.
Red 90 Mille GT

Offline redrider90

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #21 on: February 01, 2015, 12:27:50 PM »
From your description I would have it fixed. The newer methods are to fill the crack with a sealant and then use I believe a UV light on it.
As long as it is not deeply chipped nor near the edge then many cracks, small chips are doable. At this time of year you run the risk of hitting it with the defroster and the crack will travel when the window warms.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2015, 12:29:24 PM by redrider90 »
Red 90 Mille GT

Offline jreagan

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #22 on: February 01, 2015, 12:37:21 PM »
If the chip is in the direct field of view, the insurance company won't fix the chip but will spring for a new windshield.
"Loud Valves Save Lives"

2004 Triumph Bonneville T100
2006 Breva 1100 (red)
Nicholasville KY USA

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #23 on: February 01, 2015, 02:35:18 PM »
the local shop charged me $20 to fix it while I waited.  They use something like superglue, a suction cup, UV light, and a razor blade.

Don't worry.  I'll own the car long enough to get the whole thing replaced someday.  But I figure 3 or 4 rock chip repairs first.    It's not just the money ($20 vs $250), it's the hassle of bringing in insurance, the time it takes to get fixed, etc etc. 

$20 and 15 minutes and it's DONE.
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Offline redrider90

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #24 on: February 01, 2015, 03:51:52 PM »
If the chip is in the direct field of view, the insurance company won't fix the chip but will spring for a new windshield.

I had one done 2 years ago and he told me the insurance company gave him complete control over to fix or replace. I had called in for a repair and he said no and explained why. It was a chip and too deep. 30 minutes and he was out of here. Lifetime leak guarantee.  He said it would never had lasted with the deep chip.
 I had one 8 years ago and it was a easy fix and I waited. The weather turned cold and the defroster hit it: end of story it just streaked across about 12".
Red 90 Mille GT

Offline charlie b

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #25 on: February 01, 2015, 04:41:25 PM »
Our insurance (USAA) is really good about it.  Call it in, they set it up with Safelite.  The window company determines if it can be fixed.  If it can it is paid for by the insurance.  If it has to be replaced I pay $100.  Premiums have never gone up because of it (even one year when we had three windshields replaced).

One of our current cars has a repair done about two years ago.  It does show as a blemish but has been fine.

If you don't get it fixed and you live where it gets really cold, then the crack will spread....quickly.  I had one chip in Jan a few years ago.  The next morning it was below 20F.  Started the car and went to work.  Within 15 minutes (as the defroster heated the windshield) I watched the chip turn into a crack.  I could hear it as it got larger and larger.  By the time I got to work (30min) the crack was all the way across the windshield.

I've never had problem with 'after market' windshields. 

It is interesting.  30 years of owning cars and had one windshield chipped (Kentucky, Germany, New York, Arizona and southern NM).  Moved to Albuquerque and we've had more than 5 windshield repairs and 6 windshields replaced in 11 years (they use gravel on the roads during winter and have had a lot of interstate construction).
1984 850 T5 (sold)
2009 Dodge Cummins 2500

Offline cruzziguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #26 on: February 02, 2015, 03:15:11 PM »
I use the hell outa "SAFELITE.
Given the miles we cover in general and Arizona in particular, we move through a LOT of windshields. Given we know we're likely to wear out 2-3 per vehicle excluding chips, we tend to forego the insurance route and pay less in the long run for out of pocket repairs.

The chips get filled and SAFELITE carries the cost over to a replacement should it come to that. Right now, I've reached the end of the most recent F-250 screen through surface erosion and 7 chips. They'll come and do it right in the driveway at a rate and give a limited time of chip repairs for free.

Thus ends my SAFELITE commercial. Nothing but happy after dozens of repairs.

Todd.
Todd
07 Calvin            77 TT500
95 Sport 1100      04 Breva 750
82 Katana           79 GS850G
72 "Crud"dorado
03 Barely Davidson 883 Huggy
Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top.

Offline ibis1

• Hatchling
« Reply #27 on: February 02, 2015, 04:54:41 PM »
Tony, I'm with the majority here, have it repaired and pay out of pocket. Lots of posters have had good luck with replacements, but the glass industry is no different than any other service provider. There are good installers and bad installers and everywhere in between. With that size and location go with the repair and try and find a reputable shop to do it. Good luck. :BEER:
2010 California Vintage (Gone)
1971 750 Ambassador (Gone)
2014 California Touring

Offline Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
Re:
« Reply #28 on: February 02, 2015, 05:10:56 PM »
Why pay out of pocket? Doesn't it depend on HIS insurance policy?

With Allstate, in PA at least, all our chip repairs were free and had no effect on rates.
Current Fleet

13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline redrider90

• Gaggle Hero
Re:
« Reply #29 on: February 02, 2015, 05:47:45 PM »
Why pay out of pocket? Doesn't it depend on HIS insurance policy?

With Allstate, in PA at least, all our chip repairs were free and had no effect on rates.

Ditto here in NC. Insurance pays 100% on all windshields. Why pay out of pocket.
Red 90 Mille GT

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here