Author Topic: So when did it become the style to wear....  (Read 10909 times)

Offline Tom

• Gaggle Hero
So when did it become the style to wear....
« on: April 12, 2015, 08:30:37 PM »
your baseball cap that is way larger than normal down over your ears?  ;D  Seems the younger guys that like the "gangsta style" are wearing their ball caps this way.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2015, 08:31:40 PM by Tom »
From the Deep Deep South out in left field.  There are no stupid questions.  There are however stupid people asking questions.  🤣, this includes me.  😉

Offline fotoguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
  • vee git tooh soon oldt und too late wise -my Dad
Re: So when did it become the style to wear....
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2015, 08:35:18 PM »
head shrink, same time their waist shrank and they lost their suspenders  belt.
MINNEAPOLIS, MN

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2015, 08:53:59 PM »
your baseball cap that is way larger than normal down over your ears?  ;D  Seems the younger guys that like the "gangsta style" are wearing their ball caps this way.

Any time they use a "z" at the end of a word, their brain shrinks another 10% and their cap slips down.   The caps just LOOK bigger on a smaller head ....

Lannis
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

Offcamber1

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2015, 09:08:44 PM »
Have they learned to wear the cap with the bill to the front?  If so, progress is being made.

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2015, 09:08:44 PM »

Offline Arizona Wayne

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2015, 09:21:21 PM »
5 years ago I saw Nicky Hayden wearing his BB cap over his ears as if it was too big.  ???   Then I got to thinking.........wh y not?  That way your ears are protected from the sun too.  If you think about it our ears get less sun protection most the time than any other part of our body.  I'm surprised we don't hear more about people getting melanoma cancer there.  Recently I mentioned this to a 70s+ neighbor who has gotten a lot of melanoma all over his head and he told me, yes, he's gotten skin cancer on his ears too.  ~;   Guess I've(71) been lucky.  :)  If I wanted to wear a BB cap over my ears it would have to be made larger than now.  ;D

Online Turin

• Gaggle Hero
    • crap and stuff
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2015, 10:35:57 PM »
Hey Kip! any bites yet? I'll keep my ears out for ya. JJ sent me that e-mail.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2015, 10:42:44 PM by Turin »
1997 Daytona RS
1991 Rennsport California III
1991 LeMans 1000
1987 LeMans SE Dave's Cycle Racer
1984 LeMans III
1985 Sidlow Guzzi
1974 850-T Sport
1969 A-series Ambassador
1996 Triumph Daytona 1200
1996 Triumph Daytona 900
1982 Alfa Romeo GTV6 Balocco SE 3.0

Offline rboe

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2015, 10:56:27 PM »
That is why I prefer a cowboy had to a cap. Ear protection, while not looking too dorky.
Phoenix, AZ
2000 Quota 1100 ES Black (sold & gone)
2008 Honda XR650L
2012 Griso SE
2013 Honda CB1100

Doppelgaenger

« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2015, 01:32:16 AM »
Don't forget the requirement to have the it's-still-new sticker on it, and god forbid you crease the bill in any way!

bpreynolds

« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2015, 06:24:46 AM »
Now, now you crusty crustees.  Did you complain about bell bottoms and greased hair back in the day too?   ;D

Penderic

« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2015, 06:29:52 AM »
A big over sized baseball cap fits in perfectly with the look.

Whats next: Balloon sneakers? Untied laces?

Offline travelingbyguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
  • God hates a coward
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2015, 07:56:58 AM »
The way the kids dress is the least of our problems. Every now and then, someone tells me they would like to outlaw the off-yer-butt pants, but my thought is if you give society that power, next they will be outlawing the bald-dude-with-ponytail look.  Then where would I be?
73 Eldorado
80 Sp
85 Cal II
97 1100Sport
08 1200 Sport AKA:Sweet Leaf
I'm not really drowning; I can see the beach from here.

Offline charlie b

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2015, 09:30:22 AM »
Cop friend says he likes the look.

Cap not fitting tight and low hanging jeans means that when they run they have to keep on hand on their hat and one holding up their jeans.  Can't run very fast that way and can't shoot back at same time  :D
1984 850 T5 (sold)
2009 Dodge Cummins 2500

Offline Kent in Upstate NY

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2015, 10:45:40 AM »
My wife's nephew wears his pants so that the back packets are somewhere near his knees. God knows why.
Correctional educators don't make the criminals you fear. We make the criminals you fear smarter.

Offline sib

• Gaggle Hero
  • Location: Smallest state, 221 times smaller than Texas, often compared to the size of an oil slick, forest fire, or ice sheet
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2015, 12:58:37 PM »
The whole point of kids' style trends is to outrage the older folks.  In my day it was ducktail hairdos and peggers.  Then it was shoulder-length hair and scraggly beards.  Remember when men wearing earrings was considered outrageous?  When these became accepted, kids escalated to nose rings, naval rings, eyebrow studs, etc.  When I was a kid, the only tattoo wearers were prisoners, junkies, sailors, and carnival oddities.  Enjoy these alternative looks.  Have a good laugh.  But don't try to emulate them, we'd look silly.
Current: 2021 V7 Stone E5
Previous: 2016 V7II Stone
Previous: 2013 V7 Stone
Several decades ago: 1962? Honda CB77 Super Hawk

Offline Crusty

• Gaggle Hero
  • You can't put a price on Worthlessness.
« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2015, 01:02:30 PM »
The whole point of kids' style trends is to outrage the older folks.  In my day it was ducktail hairdos and peggers.  Then it was shoulder-length hair and scraggly beards.  Remember when men wearing earrings was considered outrageous?  When these became accepted, kids escalated to nose rings, naval rings, eyebrow studs, etc.  When I was a kid, the only tattoo wearers were prisoners, junkies, sailors, and carnival oddities.  Enjoy these alternative looks.  Have a good laugh.  But don't try to emulate them, we'd look silly.

Most sensible thing I've read today.
"I think Congressmen should wear uniforms, you know, like NASCAR drivers, so we could identify their corporate sponsors."

'07 Norge

Offline segesta

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2015, 01:14:03 PM »
Or the converse (inverse?) scenario, like my son--who takes care of himself and looks like an ad for Acqua di Gio--and his taste in clothes is better and more expensive than mine. So instead of berating him for looking like a bum or a gangster, I berate him for trying to look like Marcello Mastroianni.

Of course, he has no idea who Marcello Mastroianni is, but hey.
--
2014 Moto Guzzi California 1400 Custom
2013 Ducati Monster 796
2010 BMW K1300GT

Offline Arizona Wayne

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2015, 02:29:43 PM »
These whole modern copycat 'fashion' statements are GROSS, IMHO.  It stems from some freak dresser getting unwarranted publicity and then gullible youngsters have to copy the 'look' to be 'cool.'  I have never had the need to be 'cool.'

I'm an ex-sailor and usually the sailors that got a tattoo were drunk as a skunk when they did.  In their teens my 2 sons wanted to get tattoos.  I told them if either did they weren't my sons any more.  They thought I was terrible at the time but later in life both thanked me for not letting them do it.  Getting a tat is for life.  ~;

The way I look at it, over time our bodies will get beat up 1 way or another doing what we do for work or pleasure.   Why go out of your way to damage it just for looks?   It's like taking a complete MC and then chopping it up for a different, uglier look.  :D

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2015, 03:18:28 PM »
The whole point of kids' style trends is to outrage the older folks.  

Yes it is.  

And the problem is, that most of them are too young, too stupid, and too supported by Mommy and Daddy to realize that the people that they are trying to outrage, and trying to demonstrate what poor judgment and social interaction they have to, and trying to "rebel" against, are the people who are hiring for jobs, and accepting into schools, and approving loans, and evaluating them for dating their daughter.

They don't care about that right now, because they don't need any of those things; the norm for kids that have been raised like that is to stay home sucking on the parental tit until they're about 40.

But it WILL make a difference eventually.   I hired scores (maybe hundreds) of people into engineering and IT positions for 30 years.   I was hiring people that could not only do the job, but could describe how that job was done to customers and government regulators.   I had lots of good choices of people that DIDN'T have distracting, disfiguring self-mutilations and other signs of soft can't-think-ahead brains to choose from.

I'm sure these folks can get a job on a forklift in the back of Lowe's where no one has to see them, or open a turquoise craft shop on the side of Route 66 and be happy.   But it sure seems that it would limit one's options.

Lannis
« Last Edit: April 13, 2015, 03:26:02 PM by Lannis »
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

Rough Edge racing

« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2015, 06:13:40 PM »

I agree. My grand daughter got a tattoo when she turned 21 and didn't tell her mother right away.But she told me and wife because she feels we are "cool" AKA non judgmental of youth styles. Nothing worse that a world full of mini me's

Online rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
« Reply #19 on: April 13, 2015, 06:28:15 PM »
There comes a time when old farts need to admit that it's not their world anymore and step aside to let the young'uns play through.  That said, when my kids asked about piercings and needle-based mutilations, I told them that they were free to do whatever they wanted -- as soon as they were independent and able to pay the doctor bills for their self-inflicted infections.  My son did just that and now sports several.  If my daughter did, she's not talking about it.  Neither went into the sloppy pants and silly hat fads.  My oldest boy did.  Got into the whole skater/tuner/crack/meth thing and ended up on the wrong end of a needle that was not filled with ink.  So I guess I can say that the problems of youth always sort themselves out -- one way or another.

Online Guzzistajohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #20 on: April 13, 2015, 07:08:41 PM »
The other day I was paying for my lunch @ a cafe. The Kid behind the counter had piercings all over his face and those butt ugly metal holes in his ears (I think they call them guages??) He gave me my change and I said "Thanks tackle box" The waitress beside him cracked up. He had a puzzled look on his face. ??? ???
ебать Россию!   Not anti social-pro solitude

56Pan

Offline Arizona Wayne

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #22 on: April 13, 2015, 09:07:33 PM »
http://modular4kc.com/2012/08/29/gentlemen-your-backward-hat-does-not-make-you-cool/

I just don't get it.

Is this where the term asshat came from?  Do you approve of the cockeyed hat?
« Last Edit: April 13, 2015, 09:08:50 PM by Arizona Wayne »

56Pan

« Reply #23 on: April 14, 2015, 12:46:24 AM »

Is this where the term asshat came from?  Do you approve of the cockeyed hat?

No.

Offline Moto Fugazzi

• Gaggle Hero
  • Waiting on a sign from God, or a nod from hell.
    • Griso
« Reply #24 on: April 14, 2015, 01:12:17 AM »
A neck or face tattoo is basically a resume' for any job that starts after 10pm.
Ken
Ken
2004 V11 Cafe Sport
2009 V7C White
2007 Griso Black-Sold
1978 V50 II Blue-Sold

Offline Muzz

• Gaggle Hero
  • On the backside of the planet.
« Reply #25 on: April 14, 2015, 04:08:01 AM »
I suppose that if a young dude gets a tattoo of a Guzzi engine tattooed on his body,  by the time he is about 70 and gravity has taken its toll it would look like a BMW airhead donk.... :-\
Muzz. Cristchurch, New Zealand
03 Breva

Life is just a bowl of Allbran
Ya wake up in the morning and it's there

Penderic

« Reply #26 on: April 14, 2015, 11:13:30 AM »
Old!

New!

stormshearon

« Reply #27 on: April 14, 2015, 02:06:30 PM »
The hats on backwards meme - meh. The sagging pants meme - prison sign for I am available. If that's what 'ute wish to wear, let 'em. Heck, encourage it. Pink hair, blue hair, multiple peircings - celebrate it. If enough old pharts do that, they will move on to something else. And then we can encourage that - confuse the heck out of 'em.  ;D

Penderic

« Reply #28 on: April 14, 2015, 03:10:15 PM »
The hats on backwards meme - meh. The sagging pants meme - prison sign for I am available. If that's what 'ute wish to wear, let 'em. Heck, encourage it. Pink hair, blue hair, multiple peircings - celebrate it. If enough old pharts do that, they will move on to something else. And then we can encourage that - confuse the heck out of 'em.  ;D

Rough Edge racing

« Reply #29 on: April 14, 2015, 04:04:31 PM »
 Back on topic about large ball caps. Willy Mays tells a story in his biography when he was trying to break into major league ball circa 1950. He said it was had to gets noticed because there were many excellent players. So he wore a ball cap several sizes too large and when running the cap flew off giving the illusion being faster than he was..

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here