Author Topic: Running Out Of Gas - Does This One Count?  (Read 9968 times)

Bill Havins

Running Out Of Gas - Does This One Count?
« on: April 21, 2015, 10:08:21 AM »
We had a long and exciting weekend - we bought a new car after test driving almost everything in the world.  Well, not really everything, I guess.  It just seemed like it.

We had been shopping for about three weeks and, in all of the hubbub, I had put many miles on the Guzzi running back and forth to dealerships.  I hadn't paid any attention to the trip meter or the low fuel light.

This morning I sat down with my coffee and the paperwork from the sale.  I was doing my "due diligence" and was concerned with one of the numbers in the sale contract.  "Hmmm...," I thought.  I needed the hand-written notes we had made to double-check my concern and I knew they were in the glove compartment of the new car - it was in Judy's parking space downtown.  "Better go look," I thought.  So I donned my riding gear (56° at the time), backed the EV out of the garage and headed off.

As I was approaching the first stop light on the route I looked at the trip meter.  It read "149.8"  And there to the right of it was the glowing low fuel light.  "Oops!," I thought.  I hit the turn signal and headed straight for my favorite Shell station.

I made it about a mile (the station was in sight) and the engine began to power down - ain't engine braking fun when you're on a busy 4-Lane?  I coaxed it to the corner running on one cylinder and made the right hand turn at the stop light - the Shell station was half a block away.  As I tried to get the engine to accelerate it died, right in the middle of the entrance to one of Abilene's busier supermarkets.  "Oh crap!," I thought.  "Do I park it here and let it get run over by a little old lady in a Buick or...?"  I tried to start the engine and it caught on one cylinder.  I feathered the clutch, made it into the left turn lane, and gently coaxed the bike up the inclined drive into the Shell station.  Just a few feet more and I was beside a gas pump....and the engine died deader than a mackerel.  I tapped on the tank with my knuckle - it sounded like a steel drum....empty.

So, here's my question.  Since I made it to the gas pump without having to push the bike does this count as "running out of gas?"  The reason this is important is I am always having to remind Judy to check her gas gauge.  I have never "officially run out of gas" before.  And if this one is "official," I'll never hear the end of it.  ;D  :(  :P

What do you think?

Bill
« Last Edit: April 21, 2015, 10:12:31 AM by Bill Havins »

Online rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
Re: Running Out Of Gas - Does This One Count?
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2015, 10:20:38 AM »

You made it to the station.  That's all that counts!   ;-T

I'm actually more worried about you waiting to perform due diligence AFTER you signed a contract.

Due diligence is an investigation or review done PRIOR to signing a contract...

Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea
2004 California EV Touring II
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." - Theodore Roosevelt

Offline cruzziguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2015, 10:23:22 AM »
One perspective:

You had to dramatically alter your travel and potentially endangered yourself. So, yeah, it's "runnin' outa gas".

Another perspective:

Your inherent maleness correctly interpreted the signs, devised a plan of compensation, successfully adapted to ever changing circumstances, and arrived under your own power.

MOST IMPORTANTLY HOWEVER

You were not in a position to seek out help or encumber others due to a lack of foresight.

In this light, you most certainly DID NOT rum outa gas!

Todd.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2015, 10:23:56 AM by cruzziguzzi »
Todd
07 Calvin            77 TT500
95 Sport 1100      04 Breva 750
82 Katana           79 GS850G
72 "Crud"dorado
03 Barely Davidson 883 Huggy
Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top.

Bill Havins

« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2015, 10:24:41 AM »
...due diligence to demonstrate I am a dedicated worrier who sweats every detail at least three times even when it makes no difference.  ;)

(It's not "perfectionism" - I don't always get it right.)

And the dealership had done everything correctly.

See?  Being a worrier can put your reputation at risk...or...maybe not.  Maybe my actions just reinforced my reputation...or...  Oh, never mind!

« Last Edit: April 21, 2015, 10:29:35 AM by Bill Havins »

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2015, 10:24:41 AM »

Bill Hagan

« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2015, 10:35:01 AM »

OFGS, Bill, what car did you buy?   ???

Nice work on the on-fumes-only glide onto the runway.   ;)

Bill

Bill Havins

« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2015, 10:47:34 AM »

Nothing special, Bill.  It's a 2015 Nissan Rogue with all of the bells and whistles except for heated/cooled leather seats (ours are heated cloth seats).

It's been 16 years since we bought our last car/truck - as long as we keep vehicles this one will probably be the last one we buy.

Motorcycles?  That's a different story!  ;)

Offline fotoguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
  • vee git tooh soon oldt und too late wise -my Dad
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2015, 10:58:03 AM »
another question, why did you only get 150 miles on a tankfull? when I ran out the Bassa it was at 165 and I had burned the whole tank going about 90 on I-90
MINNEAPOLIS, MN

Offline Nic in Western NYS

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2015, 10:59:04 AM »
Since the bike died after reaching the pump and no coasting was involved, you were not literally "running (while) out of gas.."  Your lump while sputtering on one cylinder was still running so you weren't 'out of gas.'

That being said, you ran out of gas.
'04 Ducati ST4sABS
Fondly remembered Geese: LeMans V, Sport 1100, Centauro, Breva 1100

Offline twhitaker

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2015, 11:05:25 AM »
I think this falls under the 'any landing you can walk away from' category.
'96 California 1100i 160,000 mi
'97 Centauro yellow 25,000 mi
'02 Champagne V11 LeMans 58,000 mi
MGNOC-11168
Dayton, OH

Bill Havins

« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2015, 11:16:26 AM »

another question, why did you only get 150 miles on a tankfull? when I ran out the Bassa it was at 165 and I had burned the whole tank going about 90 on I-90

I don't have an answer other than all in-town riding, second and third gear most of the time, maybe fourth every once in a while, and I don't think I ever fill the tank completely except when on-the-road.  This is the first time I've ever run the tank to "nuthin'-but-fumes."  I put in 4.337 gallons and I think there was room for more - couldn't really tell - it's dark in there.   8)

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2015, 11:18:18 AM »
I think this falls under the 'any landing you can walk away from' category.

Being able to reuse the ship is important.. along with being able to get the door closed again.  ;D
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline charlie b

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2015, 11:34:00 AM »
One perspective:

You had to dramatically alter your travel and potentially endangered yourself. So, yeah, it's "runnin' outa gas".

Another perspective:

Your inherent maleness correctly interpreted the signs, devised a plan of compensation, successfully adapted to ever changing circumstances, and arrived under your own power.

MOST IMPORTANTLY HOWEVER

You were not in a position to seek out help or encumber others due to a lack of foresight.

In this light, you most certainly DID NOT rum outa gas!

Todd.

This.
1984 850 T5 (sold)
2009 Dodge Cummins 2500

canuguzzi

« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2015, 11:55:22 AM »
Pretty sure Judy would count that as running out of gas.

No doubt she'd say something like "Due diligence is checking the fuel before running out of gas" ;)

Penderic

« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2015, 12:19:42 PM »
You ran out of gas. That one gas station, would have been closed for some reason or other (owner getting married etc) , and you would have had to look elsewhere for fuel!  ~;

You got real lucky.

**C
« Last Edit: April 21, 2015, 03:59:43 PM by Penderic »

Bill Havins

« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2015, 01:08:52 PM »

So Judy came home for lunch.  She was grinning that, "You can be such a dope!" grin....

Guess I'll go finish moving the big tools in the garage so she can get her new car in.

Offline Stormtruck2

• AKA Scotch and Cigars
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Geese Fly in a Proper V
« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2015, 01:33:17 PM »
You arrived at the pump under motive power. Motors require fuel to motorate. Ergo you DID NOT run out of fuel (gas). ~;
If you wish to know what a man is, place in him authority.
False accusations reflect more on the accuser than the accused.
They can take everything from you, including your life, except your honor and integrity.  That you must give away.
Do or don't do. There is no try.
μολὼν λαβέ-molṑn labé

Offline Arizona Wayne

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2015, 01:33:26 PM »
Now you know how many miles you can go when the fuel light comes on, assuming you notated that.  You ran out of gas and over stressed your battery.  :P

Offline Rich A

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2015, 01:56:41 PM »
FWIW, I once used the starter to get me up a slight hill when I ran out of gas a short distance from a filling station. Too hot to push the bike, no damage done.

Rich A

Offline Gliderjohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #18 on: April 21, 2015, 02:09:07 PM »
Think of it as making the runway low on fuel in an airplane. Didn't crash and had just enough fuel to make it. ;-T
GliderJohn
John Peters
East Mountains, NM

Offline Bill N

• Gosling
« Reply #19 on: April 21, 2015, 03:14:38 PM »
Think of it as making the runway low on fuel in an airplane. Didn't crash and had just enough fuel to make it. ;-T
GliderJohn
What does a glider pilot know about running out of gas??   :BEER:

Offline charlie b

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #20 on: April 21, 2015, 03:21:14 PM »
He knows.  Every time he pulls the tow release :D

Rich, nice idea, I will remember that one.
1984 850 T5 (sold)
2009 Dodge Cummins 2500

Offline jackson

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #21 on: April 21, 2015, 03:42:25 PM »
You just have to love and appreciate all the hard work that went into designing that gas indicator on your bike.  It did it's job................ NOT!   LOL
NO longer can ride

Offline jackson

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #22 on: April 21, 2015, 03:59:20 PM »
I put in 4.337 gallons and I think there was room for more - couldn't really tell - it's dark in there.   8)
You should have lit a match so you could see how much more you could have put in the tank.  :wife:
NO longer can ride

lucydad

« Reply #23 on: April 21, 2015, 05:51:42 PM »
Good story...I call it not running out.  Running out is when you have to call for help, or walk.

Try sloshing the tank, sometimes there is a wee bit left.  Best I have ever gotten out of my V7R is around 165 miles although some say the steel tank is over 4 gallons.  I don't think so. 

Nice new cage!  Enjoy!

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #24 on: April 21, 2015, 08:43:20 PM »
I don't have an answer other than all in-town riding, second and third gear most of the time, maybe fourth every once in a while, and I don't think I ever fill the tank completely except when on-the-road.  This is the first time I've ever run the tank to "nuthin'-but-fumes."  I put in 4.337 gallons and I think there was room for more - couldn't really tell - it's dark in there.   8)

Is 4.34 gallons the capacity of a Guzzi EV fuel tank?   And it gets you 150 miles for 34 miles to the gallon?

People rag on '09 - 12 Stelvios for having a pitiful miniscule 4.9 gallon tank.   But when I burn real gasoline, mine doesn't run dry until over 200 miles.   And people damn those bikes up street and down alley and spend thousands of dollars on them because they "don't have enough fuel capacity".   

Sounds like they're down on the wrong bike!!

Lannis
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

Offline Arizona Wayne

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #25 on: April 21, 2015, 08:50:32 PM »
Good story...I call it not running out.  Running out is when you have to call for help, or walk.

Try sloshing the tank, sometimes there is a wee bit left.  Best I have ever gotten out of my V7R is around 165 miles although some say the steel tank is over 4 gallons.  I don't think so.  

Nice new cage!  Enjoy!

My Breva 750 gas tank holds 4.7 gal.,  but in reality as far as gas available for riding distance it's 4.0 gal., compliments of the fact the fuel pump & fuel filter is in the tank.  :D  So when I run out of gas there's still gas in the tank but I can't pick it up for moving forward.  That's why I usually carry an extra gal. with me on trips.  :BEER:
« Last Edit: April 21, 2015, 10:31:34 PM by Arizona Wayne »

Bill Havins

« Reply #26 on: April 21, 2015, 09:39:38 PM »
Lannis,

The owner's manual says the tank holds 19 liters, so that's a "scooch" over 5 gallons.  The manual also indicates the bike should get just over 47 mpg (5 liters per 100 kilometers).  That's with a single rider and no bags or windshield.

We've gotten a pretty steady 42 mpg when riding two-up and every bag "stuffed."  But I haven't checked mileage on a road trip in over a year.  Not on my "due diligence list."  ;D

Offline Waterbottle

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #27 on: April 21, 2015, 09:54:03 PM »
Very lucky boy Bill, buy a lottery ticket , nothing worse than pushing a heavy bike  ;-T
2015 Griso SE Rosso
2012 Stelvio 8V
2009 Griso R  Track only
76 GT 750 Suzuki
If you Ride a Griso, You need Tyres with Gription

Offline Adk.IBO

• Gaggle Mentor
Re: Running Out Of Gas - Confessions....
« Reply #28 on: April 22, 2015, 06:43:33 AM »
1988, my first BMW, an R100RT, we were headed to a friends camp to spend the day ( my wife and I). One of the first 2up long rides for her. Early start, not to many on the road. Bike sputters, no problem, switch to reserve and I figure I've got that "2nd reserve". Sputters again after a good bit, 2nd reserve engaged, can't be more than 10 miles, we got this! I might have even passed a gas station with my faulty thinking... Then it sputters again, oh oh.. So there's a couple of parking areas and I decide to coast past the first one and just make it to the second. No traffic, no cell coverage, no cell phone because I think I had a bag phone at the time, middle of the Adirondack Park.. oooohhh this is bad... I start looking around not anxious to start hoofing it with an "I told you so" wife leaving my brand new pride and joy for someone or something to molest. Better it than the wife.... Anyway I look around and there's a NYSDOT tractor parked near the woods.. hmm... gas job? Yup, sure enough, so thanks to the non caring American public I had no trouble finding a suitable container (empty pop bottle) to pilfer some taxpayer petrol. Whew... dodged that one... pretty sure it counts though...

Stay safe, John
'09 Norge new in '11, sold in '17, 37000 very good miles, thanks to this forum. '17 Roadster new in '17
Luke 23:34

Bill Havins

« Reply #29 on: April 22, 2015, 07:56:16 AM »

John,

That is such a funny story!   As I read it I could hear every "Oh!  Crap!", that must have gone through your head as the bike sputtered and stalled.  Excellent!

And about the gas from the tractor...isn't that why they leave them by the side of the road, to aid motorcyclists who forgot to pay attention to the fuel level in their new scooters?

Bill

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here