Author Topic: Latest map for 8V Norge  (Read 10761 times)

canuguzzi

Latest map for 8V Norge
« on: June 15, 2015, 09:53:11 AM »
Fantastic! About 600 miles in now, another 2600 or so to go on this trip. A few observations:

1. The idle is smoother. My Norge never vibbed much even at idle but you could detect it in the mirrors at stop lights, a little shimmy. Now the mirrors are nearly crystal clear at idle and through the rev range.

2. Fuel economy is mid 40s going up the coast and back and forth to US101 so that is pretty good.
3. On the freeway drone I got 48 over a 120 mile stretch.
4. Revs are very clean and it seems to rev quicker to redline. I dont do that often but we are trying this out right?
5. Throttle inputs are a bit more sensitive easy to get used to.

Engine does seem to run cooler. Riding temps are in the high 90s and I am keeping records so I'll report at the end of the trip and with some logged data.

Offline Waltr

• Gaggle Mentor
    • Europa Macchina
Re: Latest map for 8V Norge
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2015, 10:49:38 AM »
I want one.  I rode hard yesterday and I noticed a little ping at times rolling on hard in top gear 80-90 MPH.  Teps were close to 90 and humid.
Is the red line set at 8.5K?
Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
www.motoguzzipa.com

2012 Norge

Offline JeffOlson

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2015, 11:14:50 AM »
I want one...

Me, too! I am finally ready to give it a go, having just completed our move.
2018 Vespa GTS 300
2016 Moto Guzzi Norge
2015 Vespa Sprint 150
2015 Vespa GTS 300

beetle

« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2015, 04:24:46 PM »
  Fuel economy is mid 40s going up the coast and back and forth to US101 so that is pretty good.
3. On the freeway drone I got 48 over a 120 mile stretch.

But the red suspenders crowd say you can't get good fuel economy with fuel injection!   :rolleyes: :azn:

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2015, 04:24:46 PM »

canuguzzi

« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2015, 08:37:09 PM »
Corvalis to past The Dalles, 190 miles freeway and got 53.1 mpg and a reciept to prove it. Last in Kennewick at 48.5 mpg.

Waltr, I upshift at 8  if I need to spin it that fast which is rare, since not much else happens above that. Most around 5 and if I need to hustle, 7500 does enough for me.

Offline Waltr

• Gaggle Mentor
    • Europa Macchina
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2015, 06:05:05 AM »
  Is this a recent NEW map?  My map is functioning pretty well except for the occasional ping doing HWY roll on in top gear.  It could idle smoother especially cold and seems to take around 6 to 10 miles to run the best.  All in all I am very pleased.
  Now that it is warmer the bike is getting better fuel mileage, seems to like it HOT.
Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
www.motoguzzipa.com

2012 Norge

Vasco DG

« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2015, 06:29:05 AM »
  Is this a recent NEW map?  My map is functioning pretty well except for the occasional ping doing HWY roll on in top gear.  It could idle smoother especially cold and seems to take around 6 to 10 miles to run the best.  All in all I am very pleased.
  Now that it is warmer the bike is getting better fuel mileage, seems to like it HOT.

Which itteration are you running? If it's one of the early ones Mark has probably tweaked it further?

Pete

Doppelgaenger

« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2015, 07:04:29 AM »

I've noticed that a long hard ride seems to quiet down my Breva a lot, I agree that these bikes actually enjoy the heat. Probably because they don't have any form of thermostat...

Offline Waltr

• Gaggle Mentor
    • Europa Macchina
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2015, 09:07:47 AM »
Which itteration are you running? If it's one of the early ones Mark has probably tweaked it further?

Pete

I will connect to Guzzidiag and get the map info.  Mark modded the map for me last October to allow 8500 rpm redline when I was a a buddies shop during an event.  I did a dyno run and found the map was allowing shutdown at 7200 RPM.
  Dyno operator who seemed to be very well versed in Magnetti Marelli said the bike was pulling strong and had no doubt the bike could do 95 at the rear wheel if allowed to rev at least to 8200.

www.motoguzzipa.com

2012 Norge

canuguzzi

« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2015, 11:09:50 AM »
Waltr, this is the latest map, sent out this month. Now have over a 1000 miles on the Norge using it (1100 miles over last 3 days) and it is great.

Ran twisties, freeways and city mix. No issues and revs cleanly. It is an improvement over the last map dated sometime last fall.

As steady as cruise control between 3k and up. Easy to hold an exact speed so I'm pleased. Fuel econ is now high 40s (47-49) without trying. I did start out with the Norge in a very good state of tune so no doubt that helps. A good map over a bad tune just makes for exactly that.

Jeff Olson, I did take a run at some of the road you're on, Norge is rock solid and steady, big rigs and all. Trick is to stay out of the crown ridge, I5 is crappy there. If you can, fast lane it, much easier ride. I took the chance and had the Norge close to triple digits and no wandering or buffeting sticking to the fast lane and off the crown.

Vasco DG

« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2015, 11:37:08 AM »
I've noticed that a long hard ride seems to quiet down my Breva a lot, I agree that these bikes actually enjoy the heat. Probably because they don't have any form of thermostat...

Errr? Breva 1100 does have a thermostat.

Pete

Offline Waltr

• Gaggle Mentor
    • Europa Macchina
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2015, 01:19:08 PM »
Waltr, this is the latest map, sent out this month. Now have over a 1000 miles on the Norge using it (1100 miles over last 3 days) and it is great.

Ran twisties, freeways and city mix. No issues and revs cleanly. It is an improvement over the last map dated sometime last fall.

As steady as cruise control between 3k and up. Easy to hold an exact speed so I'm pleased. Fuel econ is now high 40s (47-49) without trying. I did start out with the Norge in a very good state of tune so no doubt that helps. A good map over a bad tune just makes for exactly that.

Jeff Olson, I did take a run at some of the road you're on, Norge is rock solid and steady, big rigs and all. Trick is to stay out of the crown ridge, I5 is crappy there. If you can, fast lane it, much easier ride. I took the chance and had the Norge close to triple digits and no wandering or buffeting sticking to the fast lane and off the crown.

Norge Pilot,
PM sent,
Thanks,
Walt
www.motoguzzipa.com

2012 Norge

beetle

« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2015, 03:24:08 PM »
Walt, that map you are using still has the 'rev limit input gear' set at at the default factory setting. The latest maps have all the rev limits set at 8500.

I said I'd send the Map to all the Norge owners whom I have an email address for, I just haven't done it yet. It'll have to wait until tonight, but I'll do it.

Offline Waltr

• Gaggle Mentor
    • Europa Macchina
« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2015, 04:47:49 PM »
Walt, that map you are using still has the 'rev limit input gear' set at at the default factory setting. The latest maps have all the rev limits set at 8500.

I said I'd send the Map to all the Norge owners whom I have an email address for, I just haven't done it yet. It'll have to wait until tonight, but I'll do it.

Thank you all.
Walter
www.motoguzzipa.com

2012 Norge

beetle

« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2015, 05:21:38 PM »
OK, I've sent the map to everyone I had email addresses for. Some of you already have the latest, so I may have sent it to you again.

If I missed out on anyone, let me know.

kris

« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2015, 05:58:33 PM »
OK, I've sent the map to everyone I had email addresses for. Some of you already have the latest, so I may have sent it to you again.

If I missed out on anyone, let me know.

PM'd you.

Offline BigBlock

• New Egg
« Reply #16 on: June 20, 2015, 04:17:14 PM »
Just want to comment on the 7286 map.  I have been running the 6963 map for the past while and thought the bike was running fine. The bike has a Mistral slip on with the db killer installed.  This new map is the one!! Cold starting, spot on.  Parking lot speeds, spot on.  Overall smoothness and throttle response, perfect!!  I haven't calculated fuel mileage yet but I don't see that it matters as I can't stop grinning :grin: after riding this bike.

Once again I would like to thank you Mark for all your hard work, you nailed it this time. :thumb:
« Last Edit: June 20, 2015, 04:19:35 PM by BigBlock »
2012 GT 8V Norge
2001 V11 Sport
2014 KTM 1290 Super Duke

"Illegitimi non carborundum"

canuguzzi

« Reply #17 on: June 20, 2015, 10:39:25 PM »
About 2000  miles on the new map now,  wonderful thing.  I've been running along some rivers in 5th from 2500 and up and in 3rd from 2000 to redline  and nary any snatching at all.

Stone cold starts are a press rocker and run affair. The very high 40s and on freeways the off and on 50+ mpg are the norm. Engine pulls smooth as silk.

A Vmax behind me and riding my ass on the entrance to the freeway we caught unawares and the Norge,  barely audible pulled a 3rd gear to redline entrance and left him wondering just what that side and tail trunk bagged thing that pulled away so fast really was.  Not trying to say a Norge out runs a Vmax,  just saying it ain't all that but today the Norge sure was. :)
« Last Edit: June 20, 2015, 10:40:26 PM by Norge Pilot »

Vasco DG

« Reply #18 on: June 21, 2015, 05:01:47 AM »
'Moto Guzzi. Punching above its weight since 1921!'

:laugh:

Offline Waltr

• Gaggle Mentor
    • Europa Macchina
« Reply #19 on: June 21, 2015, 02:55:17 PM »
   I don't want to be critical but the previous map seemed to run better in my bike.  My bike has always been a little rough running on start up with any of the maps other than the closed loop stock map but this latest map seems to be the worst.  I talked to Mark and I took the K&N out and installed a new stock filter.  I installed a new set of stock plugs. I just revisited the valve adj and they are good at .006 and .008.  Previous map was smooth at 3.5k to 5k this map not so much.  Thought of hooking the gauges back up.
  Previous map had better fuel mileage especially running hard, this map around 6 mpg less.

I heard someone mention there is a new download for a the Writer program.  I tried  two separate times to download the new map just in case but same results.  Every time I start I have to baby the throttle to get it to keep running.   One other possibility I I got a bad tank of fuel.  I tried some Startron and LiquiPerformance Ethanol treatment.   Been around 350 miles with the new map.   In the new maps defense it is more responsive to throttle but a little rough from 4-5K.  I will run out this tank with the fuel additive and try some fresh.
www.motoguzzipa.com

2012 Norge

Vasco DG

« Reply #20 on: June 21, 2015, 04:48:49 PM »
Hmmmmmm? Is your bike a flat Tappet model? If so how many miles?

Pete

Offline Waltr

• Gaggle Mentor
    • Europa Macchina
« Reply #21 on: June 21, 2015, 05:09:07 PM »
  Rollers, one of the first ones.  No sign of wear 2K ago.  I just reloaded the previous map and was much better. I tried the latest factory map and all is perfect.  Engine and top end is quiet.  Never run anything but pure esther synth-- no mayo ever.
www.motoguzzipa.com

2012 Norge

Offline Waltr

• Gaggle Mentor
    • Europa Macchina
« Reply #22 on: June 21, 2015, 05:33:10 PM »
Miles are 16.5 K
www.motoguzzipa.com

2012 Norge

beetle

« Reply #23 on: June 21, 2015, 05:54:04 PM »
Walt, did you reset the learning parameters?

canuguzzi

« Reply #24 on: June 21, 2015, 07:45:41 PM »
Dump the tank Walter,  why run the crap that is in there? Run it in a lawn mower or something,  not worth the few bucks to put questionable fuel through a well tuned engine.

My 013 was made late 012 and fires up instantly and purrs from a cold start (40s temp). Then,  the warmer it gets the better it runs.

I'll check my valves this week after the trip ends but the engine ticks sound good.  I do now need a slight adjustment of the throttle free play but very slight.  I do find myself with a little more clutch work at very low speeds but I pride myself on leaving a stop without increasing revs and dropping them as the clutch plays out,  instead just apull away and up the rev bands. 

I've run three iterations of the map now,  each better than the previous.  That said,  it isn't like the stock map didn't do ok,  it just seemed a bit thick,  as if the engine was being held back,  as best I can describe it.

Offline Waltr

• Gaggle Mentor
    • Europa Macchina
« Reply #25 on: June 21, 2015, 09:11:21 PM »
Yes, always
www.motoguzzipa.com

2012 Norge

Vasco DG

« Reply #26 on: June 21, 2015, 09:18:57 PM »
Waltr, I don't doubt that your bike is behaving differently and for some reason you are not getting as good results as others. The thing is though in my now considerable experience if there is a marked difference in performance or how an engine behaves there is always some root cause other than the map. We're not asking questions because we doubt your abilities, we're simply trying to address the issue through a logical sequence of questions and a process of elimination.

Pete

Offline Waltr

• Gaggle Mentor
    • Europa Macchina
« Reply #27 on: June 21, 2015, 09:46:55 PM »
No offense taken to questions.  My ego is not wrapped up in this or in no way trying to say anything about the mapping.  I will revisit throttle body balance as time allows.  I wondered about the response of my bike to mapping and gave some thought to fuel pump but that was changed as a part of an intermittent fuel tank sending unit a month back and nothing changed.  Fuel filter is new.  Like I said thought I got a bad tank of fuel but the bike started and ran like a top when loading the stock map back. 
  I can add fuel with CO Trim and the latest map and idle and starting will come in line with 12-14 but seems to run a little doggy elsewhere.
  I should probably change out the plug caps for good measure, or at least measure them to see if they are in spec.
www.motoguzzipa.com

2012 Norge

Vasco DG

« Reply #28 on: June 21, 2015, 10:39:17 PM »
Good-o.

Now are you sure that the throttle stop screws and linkage rod have never been messed with? This is critical. I had one particularly perplexing Sport 1200 that had had its RIGHT hand stop screw tweaked but nothing else. It took me ages to work that one out.

Does the bike 'Chuff' at idle at all? Does it seem to 'Miss' and 8/12/16 stroke from time to time?

Pete

Offline Waltr

• Gaggle Mentor
    • Europa Macchina
« Reply #29 on: June 21, 2015, 11:17:18 PM »
Pete,
Only thing I can say is every time I did throttle balance I pulled up the tutorial pics on Guzzi tech and made sure I was adjusting what was recommended. The last time I made any adjustments the bike was dead smooth. 

If I understand chuffing I would say that is what the bike is doing at idle with the latest map.  It actuall sounds like a lean misfire,  leads me to think I need to check the screws I used to block the vacuum ports (canister is adios).  The bike has a rich smell as of recent, even noticed it with the stock map.  A few days ago after reloading the new map over again I smelled a strong acrid cat smell that was very unusual for this bike.

Whatever is happening is recent.

I am unsure what mean by the 8/12/16 reference means.
Walt
www.motoguzzipa.com

2012 Norge

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
Best quality vinyl available today. Easy application.
Advertise Here