Author Topic: Deadly Year at Sturgis  (Read 10145 times)

Offline JeffOlson

• Gaggle Hero
Re: Deadly Year at Sturgis
« Reply #30 on: August 10, 2015, 04:09:40 PM »
:thumb:
2018 Vespa GTS 300
2016 Moto Guzzi Norge
2015 Vespa Sprint 150
2015 Vespa GTS 300

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #31 on: August 10, 2015, 06:25:38 PM »
Ditto to most of the comments, both positive & negative.  IMO, every dedicated motorcyclist should go to/ride thru one of these events (Sturgis, Daytona Bike Week, Myrtle Beach, Americade, etc.) once just to see what all the fuss is about - it took me about an hour to decide it wasn't something I wanted to do again, but others may feel differently. 

I disagree.   I don't see what Sturgis has to do with a "dedicated motorcyclist" or even "motorcycles".   

It's like "I think every human should have a body part pierced just to see what it's like ....." or "I think every person with brain cells to destroy should snort cocaine just once to see what it's like".

To me, it's the antithesis of everything I enjoy about motorcycling, and I don't need to "go there" in the middle of 500,000 show-offs, drunks, and idiots to find out more .....

Lannis
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

Offline Texas Turnip

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #32 on: August 10, 2015, 09:37:59 PM »
Went to Sturgis in '72, Daytona twice and NH once. I'd kiss the famous actress Vanessa del Rio on the lips before you could drag me back to any of those jungles.

Glad I went when I was younger. Now, no way.
Tex

Offline jumpmaster

• Gosling
« Reply #33 on: August 10, 2015, 11:48:26 PM »
I disagree.   I don't see what Sturgis has to do with a "dedicated motorcyclist" or even "motorcycles".   

To me, it's the antithesis of everything I enjoy about motorcycling, and I don't need to "go there" in the middle of 500,000 show-offs, drunks, and idiots to find out more .....

Like I said, "others may disagree..."  However, like it or not, as motorcyclists we are often judged by the stereotypes of these events promoted by the media, the event organizers & even many of the participants themselves.  From the little I've observed with my own eyes rather than reading about or hearing "bench racing" stories from others about a few different events of this type, I found that the stereotypes are somewhat overblown - but we, as a group, are still judged by the public at large to be part of this "culture" (I use the term VERY loosely) & we ought to be able to deal with it from personal experience ourselves.  Hence, my opinion that seeing for oneself, if even only for a few hours at the front or back end of one of these events, serves a useful purpose in educating oneself & then being able to speak with a little more authority when the rabid "all bikers are idiots" crowd start pontificating at your local pool party or opera event  :grin:

Having said all that, I repeat that once (well, once each at several different events) was enough for me to see that they follow pretty much the same pattern or at least very similar patterns & that this pattern doesn't interest me as entertainment, even for a day.  Harley-centric events seem to attract more posers & idiots per capita than other events I'm familiar with, but I'd have to say I've met examples of both of those categories at Goldwing, BMW & Norton events over the years, too.  I haven't been a Guzzi owner long enough to meet a lot of Guzziistas & haven't been to any rallys, but so far I haven't met any posers or idiots yet - still have something to look forward to?
JC
90 Mille GT (sold), 73 Eldorado, 75 Norton Commando, 46 Whizzer, 13 Harley Road Glide

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #33 on: August 10, 2015, 11:48:26 PM »

Vasco DG

« Reply #34 on: August 11, 2015, 01:58:20 AM »
I loved the Dakotas, shit, I loved Nebraska! I think I'd rather gargle nitric acid than go to the Piratefest.

Rapid City is a lovely little university town full of young people just being young and enjoying themselves. I'm sure it has its dark side too but I didn't see it. I really enjoyed Vermillion too, another small university town. I still have a T-shirt from Carney's Bar, 'World Famous' it proudly claims! Well? Yes, yes it is, and that is splendid!

Pete

Offline jumpmaster

• Gosling
« Reply #35 on: August 11, 2015, 06:54:56 AM »
Jumpy , it is the Whizzer rallies where the real crazies are  :bike-037:

Dusty

Dang it!  I knew I should have gone to the local Whizzer rally this year!

By the way, I like your modification of my screen name.  After going to 2 wars and several other "hazardous duty areas" over my career, it perfectly sums up the state of my nerves when I'm around big crowds &/or loud noises.
JC
90 Mille GT (sold), 73 Eldorado, 75 Norton Commando, 46 Whizzer, 13 Harley Road Glide

Offline flip

• Gaggle Hero
  • Aprilia Caponord 1200, Aprilia Shiver, gone MG B11
« Reply #36 on: August 11, 2015, 07:40:01 AM »

It's like "I think every human should have a body part pierced just to see what it's like ....." or "I think every person with brain cells to destroy should snort cocaine just once to see what it's like".

Lannis

:1:
North Carolina

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here