Author Topic: Fossil and azguzzirep's Roamer threadfest  (Read 13848 times)

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
Re: V9 Roamer - my first ride
« Reply #30 on: April 10, 2016, 08:38:00 AM »
V9 LeMans..  :evil: although I have one too many motorcycles now.  :smiley:
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline fossil

• Gaggle Mentor
Re: rode the V9 Roamer today
« Reply #31 on: April 10, 2016, 08:39:29 AM »
Tom, I am glad the ergonomics fit for you. Obviously the Roamer must be test ridden before a decision is made. I can - after my experience with this bike - only emphasize this necessity.
Greetings from Germany!
Thorsten

Offline fossil

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #32 on: April 10, 2016, 08:41:48 AM »
A scrambler or mild enduro with this mill would be nice. Because the throttle response is so clear and defined.
Greetings from Germany!
Thorsten

Offline Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #33 on: April 10, 2016, 09:20:44 AM »
It is definitely not possible to leave the seat and stand up. This is something I do relatively often on my bike. The V9 does not allow to simply stand up as the pegs are nearly below the handles. Because of the relative position of pegs and handles and the low seat you sit a bit leaned backwards. The wind does not make it better. Another arrangement of the handlebar (lower, perhaps different risers) could make it better. But you sit very near the bar.

As someone who easily stands on a mid mount Sportster, and who has stood from the saddle of an RK, color me sceptical of this one.

If it's true it's the result of different physical rider sizes and/or the bars must come ridiculously far back.

Guess I'll find out for myself eventually.

Then again the Bobber is more my thing anyway.
Current Fleet

18 Guzzi V7III Carbon Dark
13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #33 on: April 10, 2016, 09:20:44 AM »

bpreynolds

« Reply #34 on: April 10, 2016, 09:42:49 AM »
A little sad to see the first couple of ride reports from wg members somewhat confirming some of the handling reports of journos.  Yes, it's a cruiser but usually Guzzi cruisers are actually praised for their surprisingly great handling.  I'm not sure whether to attribute this fact to these getting compared more to the new Bonnies or even the V7 rather (2 standars) than say a Bolt or 883 which are maybe(?) closer in comparison as per what it is? 
« Last Edit: April 10, 2016, 09:44:36 AM by bpreynolds »

Offline Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #35 on: April 10, 2016, 09:54:20 AM »
A little sad to see the first couple of ride reports from wg members somewhat confirming some of the handling reports of journos.  Yes, it's a cruiser but usually Guzzi cruisers are actually praised for their surprisingly great handling.  I'm not sure whether to attribute this fact to these getting compared more to the new Bonnies or even the V7 rather (2 standars) than say a Bolt or 883 which are maybe(?) closer in comparison as per what it is?

I think we're testing different reports or bringing in preconceptions with us cause I'm not hearing what you're hearing in the OP's or especially AZguzzi's ride report.

AZ said nothing negative.

Fossil just said he could feel a difference with the large front wheel and that he scraped in a tight turn. And even then I wonder about technique (shifting weight etc since he seems to have some ergonomic incompatibilities.

<shrug>
Current Fleet

18 Guzzi V7III Carbon Dark
13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline Unkept

• Gaggle Hero
    • Unkept Uncaged- Youtube Channel
« Reply #36 on: April 10, 2016, 10:20:08 AM »
V9 LeMans..  :evil: although I have one too many motorcycles now.  :smiley:

:1:

Offline Cool Runnings

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #37 on: April 10, 2016, 10:26:19 AM »
29.5 in. (750 mm), on Bobber 29.3 in. (745 mm)

What I figured. This has been the trend for quite a while now, low seating positions. In other words, great for someone with a 30" inseam (about 5' 8" tall). 
« Last Edit: April 10, 2016, 10:27:42 AM by Cool Runnings »

bpreynolds

« Reply #38 on: April 10, 2016, 10:43:59 AM »
I think we're testing different reports or bringing in preconceptions with us cause I'm not hearing what you're hearing in the OP's or especially AZguzzi's ride report.

AZ said nothing negative.

Fossil just said he could feel a difference with the large front wheel and that he scraped in a tight turn. And even then I wonder about technique (shifting weight etc since he seems to have some ergonomic incompatibilities.

<shrug>

You are correct about AZ' post.  I went back and read it; however, something did stick out when I read AZ' comments again.  Five miles total.  No offense to him but it would seem Fossil got to spend a good amount more time on the bike and he can comment directly to his own V7. 

But, as you say, preconceived notions work both ways.  How can you say you don't hear what I'm hearing when further down in this thread Fossil says he went back and rode his V7 on the very same roads and it felt much more "nimble and agile"???

Offline fossil

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #39 on: April 10, 2016, 10:51:40 AM »
Kev, you are right about the incompatibility of the Roamer and me. The V7 Stone fits perfectly. The Harley Sportster 1200 CA (mid-mount pegs) for example is very different from the roamer. It is longer, much more comfortable for me. I have room enough and can easily stand up here. On the Roamer there is simply not enough room for me as the bars are very near my body. I think it could be done but it would be very uncomfortable to do so. And then: between your knees you would have the sharp edges of the tank. Not the flat surfaces (at my bike additional with the tank pads) of the V7 - tank.

The Roamer is simply not built for such things - likewise "normal" Sportsters, Bolts and the like. Nothing wrong with that. There are enough people out there who love bikes like this one. And in its field the bike is extraordinarily nice. Only I don�t regard it as a "standard", as a "universal motorcycle". This role is filled by the V7.

As I wrote in AZ�s thread: you should ride it and make your own decision about this bike. I came with the preconception that the V9 Roamer in a way is the successor of the V7. In this form it is not. It is something different for a different sort of rider. I regard this a good thing.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2016, 10:56:31 AM by fossil »
Greetings from Germany!
Thorsten

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #40 on: April 10, 2016, 11:12:28 AM »
It is something different for a different sort of rider. I regard this a good thing.

Agreed. When I first saw the V9 I wondered why they were competing with themselves (V7) for market share.
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline azguzzirep

• Gaggle Hero
  • Gratzi Carlo!
Re: rode the V9 Roamer today
« Reply #41 on: April 10, 2016, 11:25:18 AM »
Wann es moeglich ist, kaufe ich dieses Motorrad!😎

If it is possible  I will buy this motorcycle.

Tom
« Last Edit: April 10, 2016, 11:27:01 AM by azguzzirep »
Murphy's  Law sucks!

Offline kevdog3019

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #42 on: April 10, 2016, 11:34:01 AM »
A scrambler or mild enduro with this mill would be nice. Because the throttle response is so clear and defined.

I'm glad you said "scrambler" with a lower case s and not "Scrambler" with an upper case S.  Evidently there is a big distinction on this board.
Good ride report.  Glad to hear this engine is a significant upgrade; not surprised.  The Roamer has a large dia. front wheel and much less so in the rear.  This will not bode well for canyon carving.  The Bobber sounds much better with same dia wheels.  Your legs fit very much underneath this tank as I see it.  Standing up regardless of peg position would seem to be very difficult.  I'm interested in a Bobber report next. 
« Last Edit: April 10, 2016, 11:44:45 AM by kevdog3019 »
'86 V65 "Super" Lario
'85 Honda Nighthawk 700s
'86 V65 Lario

Offline ohiorider

• Gaggle Hero
  • "You can't fight in here - this is the War Room."
Re: Fossil and azguzzirep's Roamer threadfest
« Reply #43 on: April 10, 2016, 11:37:39 AM »
Are those 'bad-looking' pipes double-walled?  Appear much larger in diameter than those on the V7 models.
Main ride:  2008 Guzzi 1200 Sport (sold July 2020)
2012 Griso 8v SE (sold Sept '15)
Reliable standby: 1991 BMW R100GS
2014 Honda CB1100 (Traded Nov 2019)
New:  2016 Triumph T120 (Traded Dec 2021)
New:  2021 Kawasaki W800

Offline fossil

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #44 on: April 10, 2016, 11:52:12 AM »
They are double-walled. The time of blue manifolds are gone...sight! There can be no doubt: the craftmanship of this thing oozes quality. I could not find one thing that was not first class - the armatures, all the fittings, the wheels, the hand gear,.....

Only LED - light is missing.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2016, 11:55:03 AM by fossil »
Greetings from Germany!
Thorsten

Offline azguzzirep

• Gaggle Hero
  • Gratzi Carlo!
« Reply #45 on: April 10, 2016, 11:55:48 AM »
I am 6'+ and I don't like to be cramped when riding. The  V9 gives me the leg room I want and a comfortable seat. I am cramped when riding my EV because of where the foot controls are. The Roamer is wonderfully comfortable ergonomicly.

I would like some kind of luggage option and a windscreen too. After those get fitted I'll tour Europe like a gypsy!😁

Tom
Murphy's  Law sucks!

Offline Cool Runnings

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #46 on: April 10, 2016, 11:59:42 AM »
I am 6'+ and I don't like to be cramped when riding. The  V9 gives me the leg room I want and a comfortable seat. I am cramped when riding my EV because of where the foot controls are. The Roamer is wonderfully comfortable ergonomicly.

I would like some kind of luggage option and a windscreen too. After those get fitted I'll tour Europe like a gypsy!😁

Tom

In other words, the pegs are mounted forward to help with the old bent-knee syndrome?

Offline fossil

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #47 on: April 10, 2016, 12:04:56 PM »
The difference could be that I am what we call in German "Sitzriese" - long upper body, long arms. I have thought about an example how to describe my position on the Roamer, and I came out with this one: Imagine a VW Beetle (the real one, not this modern thing). Imagine you want to put 4 fullgrown people into that car. Then the driver has to shove his seat very near to the wheel so that his arms are overly bent. I think this describes my position. And this is why I wrote I sat leaned backwards. For me the pegs are definitely too much forward.

My knees were bent on the V7 slightly too much. The higher gel seat cured that exactly right.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2016, 12:08:09 PM by fossil »
Greetings from Germany!
Thorsten

Offline O

• Gosling
  • Don't force it, get a bigger hammer.
« Reply #48 on: April 10, 2016, 12:12:04 PM »
...I came with the preconception that the V9 Roamer in a way is the successor of the V7. In this form it is not. It is something different for a different sort of rider. I regard this a good thing.

:1:  I think a lot of us were under that impression.  This sounds like good news to me, in that hopefully, regardless of V7 Euro 4 compliance, we'll get to see other iterations of the 850 engine.
Owen

2014 V7 Special

Offline cruzziguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #49 on: April 10, 2016, 12:12:10 PM »
The difference could be that I am what we call in German "Sitzriese" - long upper body, long arms.

Of course German's would "have a word for it" but I'd have expected 4-6 more syllables.

It's unfortunate that more "evaluators" don't elaborate upon their own physicality in describing a test-ride or drive. Seems so very important a factor.

Todd.
Todd
07 Calvin            77 TT500
95 Sport 1100      04 Breva 750
82 Katana           79 GS850G
72 "Crud"dorado
03 Barely Davidson 883 Huggy
Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top.

Offline fossil

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #50 on: April 10, 2016, 12:21:42 PM »
That�s simple. Normal height (1,8 m), normal weight (80 kg with biker�s gear, but without helmet). And yes, I could not find an english word for "Sitzriese". "Seat giant" would be the wording in English.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2016, 12:23:59 PM by fossil »
Greetings from Germany!
Thorsten

Offline Stormtruck2

• AKA Scotch and Cigars
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Geese Fly in a Proper V
« Reply #51 on: April 10, 2016, 12:27:38 PM »
They are double-walled. The time of blue manifolds are gone...sight! There can be no doubt: the craftmanship of this thing oozes quality. I could not find one thing that was not first class - the armatures, all the fittings, the wheels, the hand gear,.....

Only LED - light is missing.

Did you find any sign of grease any where??
If you wish to know what a man is, place in him authority.
False accusations reflect more on the accuser than the accused.
They can take everything from you, including your life, except your honor and integrity.  That you must give away.
Do or don't do. There is no try.
μολὼν λαβέ-molṑn labé

Offline fossil

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #52 on: April 10, 2016, 02:14:55 PM »
Grease? That thing was brand-new! It is as clean as my Stone is for 3 years now.
Greetings from Germany!
Thorsten

Offline kevdog3019

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #53 on: April 10, 2016, 06:01:08 PM »
Did you find any sign of grease any where??

That's hilarious!!!!!
He's talking about if Luigi did his job btw.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2016, 06:01:55 PM by kevdog3019 »
'86 V65 "Super" Lario
'85 Honda Nighthawk 700s
'86 V65 Lario

Offline Stormtruck2

• AKA Scotch and Cigars
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Geese Fly in a Proper V
« Reply #54 on: April 10, 2016, 06:23:31 PM »
Grease? That thing was brand-new! It is as clean as my Stone is for 3 years now.

I was asking if there was any sign that Luigi applied grease to the bearing and other grease appropriate areas.  MG is known for making thousands of bikes, and having only a very small tube of grease in the factory.  LOL
If you wish to know what a man is, place in him authority.
False accusations reflect more on the accuser than the accused.
They can take everything from you, including your life, except your honor and integrity.  That you must give away.
Do or don't do. There is no try.
μολὼν λαβέ-molṑn labé

Online bad Chad

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #55 on: April 10, 2016, 07:01:00 PM »
If anyone knows how to apply lube its Matt!
2007 Breva 1100  Red Arrow (and faster than yours!)
2016 CSC 250TT Zongshen
2017 V9 Roamer

Offline kevdog3019

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #56 on: April 10, 2016, 07:07:51 PM »
If anyone knows how to apply lube its Matt!
Hmmmm... is there something we should know?? HA
'86 V65 "Super" Lario
'85 Honda Nighthawk 700s
'86 V65 Lario

Offline Muzz

• Gaggle Hero
  • On the backside of the planet.
« Reply #57 on: April 12, 2016, 03:58:48 AM »
I like the front end of the Roamer with the back end of the Bobber.

I'd call it the Robber. :undecided:
Muzz. Cristchurch, New Zealand
03 Breva

Life is just a bowl of Allbran
Ya wake up in the morning and it's there

oldbike54

« Reply #58 on: April 12, 2016, 04:50:00 AM »

Rumor has it that Stephen Adams still doesn't fit  :shocked:

Dusty

bpreynolds

« Reply #59 on: April 12, 2016, 06:16:29 AM »

I like the tank of the V7 Stone, the hard parts of the Roamer, and yeah, I kinda dig the tires on the Bobber.  Put those together and call it a Boner?  I've really got a boner for the Boner.   :boozing:

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here