Author Topic: nearby 2002 V11 Le Mans...Q and A time please  (Read 11536 times)

lucydad

nearby 2002 V11 Le Mans...Q and A time please
« on: April 24, 2016, 05:27:34 PM »
All,

Posted on FB page of GRIT (Texas) by owner:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/141966980178?ssPageName=STRK%3AMESELX%3AIT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649

Possibly also a member here?  Anyway, would this bike be a good one for my desired light cruising bike?  Weight is 487 pounds, seat height at top of my range of 31.5 inches, and has a Corbin now (higher or lower)? 

Thoughts?  Comments? 

Got plenty of space in my garage, and Porsche shopping has been a bust lately.

Dang it is pretty.  Bet it sounds nice too.  Bet Mike at MPH could do the maintenance on top. 

Online Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
Re: nearby 2002 V11 Le Mans...Q and A time please
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2016, 05:34:51 PM »
Looks like a nice one to me.. well maintained and equipped. Only you can tell whether you *like* a V11S or not. I do.  :smiley:
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

twowings

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2016, 05:35:16 PM »
Mighty purty....I like!

Offline alanp

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2016, 05:44:53 PM »
I bought one of those last August - same bike, same color.  It is my 7th Guzzi and is the one I wish I had a bought many years ago.  It does sound great and is a classic "muscle car" on 2 wheels. 
I rode the bike back to Colorado from Minnesota in a day and a half.  The footpeg position is a bit cramped for me and the bar positions puts a fair amount of weight on your wrists, but for the desired "light cruising" it should be great.  I am 6'0", and on the long ride had to take frequent breaks, but they were all the better to admire the beauty of the bike!.  And at 80+ mph the wind holds you up and keeps the weight off your wrists.

Every Guzzi aficionado needs a V11 at some point.  It is the most Guzzi of them all IMO

Niwot, Colorado
'08 1200 Sport - Black
'16 V7II Stone - Black
Previous Guzzis
'07 Griso, '07 Norge, '03 California SS, '02 California SS, '02 V11 Lemans,  '83 Lemans III, '77 Lemans

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2016, 05:44:53 PM »

Offline LeRoy

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2016, 06:13:49 PM »
That price looks like very good value, especially considering the low mileage, few and well-documented owners, and the many spares and tidbits that are included. Let's hope those are just paint cracks in the pork chops.

The bottom-feeder in me (Guzzi content) would be inclined to wait out the auction and put in a late bid to try to get it below the Buy-it-Now price. But shoot, B-i-N is pretty good anyway. Pull the trigger.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2016, 06:16:02 PM by LeRoy »
LeRoy (Bob Sharp)
Rochester, MI  U.S.A.
'86 LM 1000 (since new in '86)
'79 V1000 G5 (as of '08 and since sold)
'76 V1000 Convert (since Nov. 09)
'83 1000SP (as of Oct. 15)

Online Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2016, 06:31:19 PM »
That price looks like very good value, especially considering the low mileage, few and well-documented owners, and the many spares and tidbits that are included. Let's hope those are just paint cracks in the pork chops.

The bottom-feeder in me (Guzzi content) would be inclined to wait out the auction and put in a late bid to try to get it below the Buy-it-Now price. But shoot, B-i-N is pretty good anyway. Pull the trigger.

What Bob says. I've posted before... if you snooze, you lose. If you're happy with what you see.. I am.. just pay the man. <shrug> What's a few bucks in the long run?  :smiley:

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline davedel44

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2016, 06:56:57 PM »
LD talk to Mike I think he knows Johnson and the bike. 
Dave
Galveston
Bambino- 2013 V7 Stone

Offline fotoguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
  • vee git tooh soon oldt und too late wise -my Dad
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2016, 07:33:33 PM »
GET THAT IN ONE MINUTE! I tried to come up with cash to buy that a few Months ago but couldn't swing it.. distance and money flow didn't work out for me..
I'll say it again, GET it NOW..
that is a very well kept machine with nice add on's !!!!!!
MINNEAPOLIS, MN

lucydad

« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2016, 07:40:07 PM »
Sounds like an endorsement to me.  Man alive.  Gonna sleep on it.  If I go forward:  contact owner, drive to Dallas Wednesday before Ebay auction expires, and see if he will let me sit and perhaps test ride if I bring full price check.  If I fall in love with the bike, pull trigger and figure out best way to get it down here.  Looks like a great deal to me, and the bike definitely tweaks my heart strings.

Is the bike too heavy for me?  Can I handle it?  Is the geometry similar to V7R, or a bit more upright?

It should have more grunt than my V7R, right?  Is it a five speed transmission? 

Yep, gonna meditate on this one (literally) and seek an answer.

Thanks!

Offline Texas Turnip

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2016, 07:41:02 PM »
Mr. Knowles is a true gentleman. He takes good care of his bikes.

What is your interest on your spare cash at the bank? Stock market making you money? I'm not saying you'll make money on this bike, but what is the price of enjoyment?

Tex

Offline fotoguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2016, 07:45:18 PM »

Is the bike too heavy for me?  NO Can I handle it? YES  Is the geometry similar to V7R, or a bit more upright?

It should have more grunt than my V7R, right?  ABSOLUTELY! Is it a five speed transmission? 

Thanks!
NO IT'S THE VERY FLUID WORKING 6 SPEED.. if you snooze you may loose but this bike is worth $5k anytime!
your SB with sit in the corner with envy from then on!
MINNEAPOLIS, MN

Online Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2016, 07:47:49 PM »
Sounds like an endorsement to me.  Man alive.  Gonna sleep on it.  If I go forward:  contact owner, drive to Dallas Wednesday before Ebay auction expires, and see if he will let me sit and perhaps test ride if I bring full price check.  If I fall in love with the bike, pull trigger and figure out best way to get it down here.  Looks like a great deal to me, and the bike definitely tweaks my heart strings.

Is the bike too heavy for me?  Can I handle it?  Is the geometry similar to V7R, or a bit more upright?

Thanks!
Is the bike too heavy for me?  Can I handle it?

I doubt it. Probably.
Is the geometry similar to V7R, or a bit more upright?
I've never ridden a V7R, but I imagine they are similar.
It should have more grunt than my V7R, right?
BWAHHHHAAAA
Is it a five speed transmission? 
six
The last of the real Guzzis..  :evil: :smiley:

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
Albert Einstein

lucydad

« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2016, 07:59:10 PM »
Chuck,

This could be my dream Guzzi?  Contacted seller on eBay with question on Corbin seat height.  Would do a full price, but only after sitting on bike, and hopefully a short ride.

So, a bit more punch than my small block huh?  Six speed!! 

What about the instruments, does it have a trip odometer to keep track of mileage?  What is the range of the bike on a tank of gas?

Rode my V7R today and had a blast.  Yet....I have always wanted a Guzzi that gives me that "hold on, here we go"  dV/dT of my Triumph Triple. 

Oh man. 

Offline fotoguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2016, 08:09:32 PM »

What about the instruments, does it have a trip odometer to keep track of mileage?  What is the range of the bike on a tank of gas?

Punch like a light weight vs Mohamed Ali or at least KungFu..the V11 can lift the front wheel at ease..
of course there's a trip meter. range about 180 miles or less if you ride like me..

LD, get there tomorrow and see/buy it.. your retired right? what else you got to do.. but tomorrow..
MINNEAPOLIS, MN

Offline Guzzistajohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2016, 08:10:51 PM »
I had a scura, yes it was bad ass
ебать Россию!   Not anti social-pro solitude

Offline Jim Rich

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2016, 08:20:56 PM »

Offline cloudbase

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2016, 08:26:53 PM »
MPH had one a few years ago.  One of the WG members in Michigan asked me to test ride it for him.  I did, and the guy wound up purchasing it.  From time to time I regret not buying it myself.

Online Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #17 on: April 24, 2016, 08:28:52 PM »
Chuck,

This could be my dream Guzzi?  Contacted seller on eBay with question on Corbin seat height.  Would do a full price, but only after sitting on bike, and hopefully a short ride.

Rode my V7R today and had a blast.  Yet....I have always wanted a Guzzi that gives me that "hold on, here we go"  dV/dT of my Triumph Triple. 

Oh man.

Dream Guzzi? Dunno. Only you will. The Mighty Scura is my all time favorite bike, but it's not completely stock. <shrug> I'll say this, though.. if you like a raw elemental motorcycle, you'll love it. Since the V11S series, the current owners of Guzzi have been pussifying working on making them more user friendly..  :evil: :smiley:

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
Albert Einstein

Offline KJ Knowles

• New Egg
« Reply #18 on: April 24, 2016, 08:41:15 PM »

As noted by some other folks in the thread, that is my V11 Le Mans.  Regarding your questions:

I do not like heavy motorcycles myself.  The only time it has ever felt heavy to me was when I had it heavily loaded for camping.  Can't really blame the bike for that.  :-)

A stock V11 Le Mans would have geometry similar to your Racer.  I added lower and forward foot controls and clip ons with 3" rise over stock and hand position a couple of inches closer to the rider than stock.  Still Sport Touring, but adjusted away from the "Sport" side and toward the "Touring" side.  Transmission is six speed.

It won't rip you off of the handlebars, but yes, it will have more grunt than your V7.  I never had a situation where I felt it was lacking in the power department.  It does want to be above 2500 RPM to be happy, like most Guzzis. Transmission is six speed.

Oh...the cracks in the pork chop paint are indeed only in the paint (been trying to figure out how to paint 'em for years).

Where are we going...and why are we in a handbasket???

lucydad

« Reply #19 on: April 24, 2016, 08:57:07 PM »
KJ, all:

Much thanks!  What a helpful and responsive bunch of Guzzistas!

32 inch seat works. 

Two more questions please:  it is a mono shock, right?  How difficult is it to adjust to my low weight (170 with boots on).
And here is the BIG one:  tell me about the clutch--is it a "Popeye" style requiring huge hand strength?  I have fairly small hands, but no issues with V7R and Triumph STRX.  But, if the V11 clutch is a stiff set up: a big negative. 

Had my meditation:  good vibes.  Love the video!

Might have a hard time sleeping tonight... :drool:

Offline fotoguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
MINNEAPOLIS, MN

Offline KJ Knowles

• New Egg
« Reply #21 on: April 24, 2016, 09:28:08 PM »
It is a monoshock and requires a certain amount of "bike disassembly" to adjust the preload.  That is why I leave the touring preload when I ride unloaded.

The clutch is hydraulic and, like most hydraulic clutches, pretty easy effort.  I would not be surprised if it is lighter than your V7R. 

KJK

lucydad

« Reply #22 on: April 24, 2016, 09:32:14 PM »
Foto,

Dang you are good at videos!!  I have my GoPro, and was just thinking I need to re-learn how to use it, and take a riding video and learn to edit.  It has sat since Christmas because of our move to new house.

So, let me confirm:  a hydraulic clutch?  That is the extra reservoir on left side bars?  Easy on the hand?  By any chance are the levers adjustable too? 

Dang. Dang.  Only five grand. Hell of a lot more interesting than the BMW F800GT to me.

lucydad

« Reply #23 on: April 24, 2016, 09:34:55 PM »
KJ,

Likely Mike at MPH could set the mono shock up for my weight.  Right now I bet it is stiff for a small guy like me.

Hydraulic clutch is very good news. 

Damn.  Let me sleep on it.  I will PM you Monday morning. 

Grazia,
Lucydad

Offline cruzziguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #24 on: April 24, 2016, 09:40:59 PM »
I wish I could speak to the bike but I never bought one.

When they were available, it seemed redundant to my '95 Sport.

Now, I look at it as the SP1000 of it's time and think myself a goof for not buying one new - regardless of the Spot.

Someone here has a hell of a rack/bag set-up on theirs for you to copy for your touring.

Todd.
Todd
07 Calvin            77 TT500
95 Sport 1100      04 Breva 750
82 Katana           79 GS850G
72 "Crud"dorado
03 Barely Davidson 883 Huggy
Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top.

Offline Texas Turnip

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #25 on: April 25, 2016, 07:03:37 AM »
If my yard was dry I'd dig up the money and come over and buy the Guzzi just to have a clean one.

Tex

Offline KJ Knowles

• New Egg
« Reply #26 on: April 25, 2016, 08:07:44 AM »
So, let me confirm:  a hydraulic clutch?  That is the extra reservoir on left side bars?  Easy on the hand?  By any chance are the levers adjustable too? 

Yes on all counts. If I can borrow a couple of lock ring spanners for the shock, I can crank it down for you before a test ride.  I can't seem to find mine (but I will keep looking).

Offline KJ Knowles

• New Egg
« Reply #27 on: April 25, 2016, 08:10:58 AM »
If my yard was dry I'd dig up the money and come over and buy the Guzzi just to have a clean one.

Tex

I'm still getting over the shock of the last time I saw you on a clean Guzzi, when you bought your Root Beer Float California a few years ago!  :grin:

KJK

lucydad

« Reply #28 on: April 25, 2016, 08:18:50 AM »
KJ,

Sent you a PM.

Lucydad

Offline rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
« Reply #29 on: April 25, 2016, 08:23:51 AM »

The bike has a 5.45 gallon fuel tank.  It will return high 30s to 40 mpg.  I used to refuel mine in the 160-170 miles range and it would take 3.8 - 4.0 gallons of fuel.  Seems like the light always came on with 3.6 - 3.7 gallons consumed.  So, the bike should be able to make 200 miles, though I never did that on my Nero Corsa.

Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea
2004 California EV Touring II
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." - Theodore Roosevelt

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here