Author Topic: Triking Thread  (Read 16469 times)

Offline JJ

• Gaggle Hero
  • Life is meant to ENJOY...not "endure."
Re: Triking Thread
« Reply #30 on: November 21, 2016, 03:25:10 PM »
can't find them, lost in photobucket swamp.. I think pic was at the Skunk rally in Wi..

I did find these, from the Wi Guzzi rally in 2009.. you might like.

THANKS!  That is a lovely vintage rig...but might be a bit delicate to FLOG cross country! (LOL) :shocked: :shocked: :rolleyes: :wink:   Here are a few nice three wheelers from the annual Brighton Motorsports Annual Car Rally in Scottsdale, AZ

Life Member: MGNOC L-772, AMA, HOG
'98 V10 Centauro GT
Village of Oak Creek, AZ

Offline Arizona Wayne

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #31 on: November 21, 2016, 05:11:11 PM »
Those 3 wheelers sure are cool but almost less practical that a motorcycle. You sit so low it must be hard to see around / over traffic. Like a Sunday driver on less traveled back roads. I'd rather have a Miata with abs, heater, top, wipers and a trunk.

Yes, in traffic a Triking car is so low not only can the driver not see anything but the big car in front of him, other drivers can't see him either.  It's like driving a go kart on public roads.  Now if you had a whip antenna like some quads have........   On a country 2 lane road with little traffic they are OK.  I have ridden in 1.

Offline JJ

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #32 on: November 22, 2016, 10:27:37 AM »
For those interested in the Triking cycle car. I am a big fan. For one thing I have been an owner and enthusiast of Moto Guzzi since 1978. Had a T3, SP,CX 100, now a Triking cycle.
    I must confess of being more of a lurker than contributor, however I have found that the fun and the  utility   that you can achieve with the Triking experience can be so  worth it , that I must speak up. O.K. If you are interested in a Triking check out their website  http://trikingsportscars.co.uk/  Allen, the proprietor Is very personable and accommodating. I did not build my TK, however I have put more than 30,000 miles in 2.5 years, I have replaced single plate clutch after about 10,000 miles.Knew it was coming and worked out great.  My machine had been built with a new old stock 2004 Stone with hydro motor that I know received update early if not at factory.
  Anyway, one of  the biggest attractions to Moto Guzzi is the motor. This car uses the MG motor, transmission, swing arm , bevel drive , rear wheel, which if you are interested in this kind of vehicle you more than likely know about this stuff. If not you can ask right here.
   My wife and I have gone coast to coast and all over the place in this gem. My love of MG is rooted in simplicity, aesthetics and I can seem to afford them because they are simple, like me. I could go on and on about my experience. If you have questions speak up.I will respond.

Hi Bill - Good post! :cool:  I just sent you a PM.  My friend Andy B in Tempe, AZ is building one now. He is not on this forum, but wants to contact you. I gave you his email address - - FYI - JJ Cerilli
'98 V10 Centauro GT
Village of Oak Creek, AZ

Offline Bill Owens

• Gosling
« Reply #33 on: November 22, 2016, 11:36:45 AM »
JJ,

Will check in with him. I have a few images I'll post here after I find them. Photo bucket really does kind of suck.

Bill

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #33 on: November 22, 2016, 11:36:45 AM »

Offline Bill Owens

• Gosling
« Reply #34 on: November 22, 2016, 11:41:42 AM »
JJ,

Just checked my PM. Nothing. My e mail is posted with my profile

Bill

Offline SaskMick

• Gosling
« Reply #35 on: November 22, 2016, 12:23:34 PM »
[/url]

That aluminium job is a Pembleton, it is superior to the Triking .

It 's based on a Citroen 2 CV

Offline SaskMick

• Gosling
« Reply #36 on: November 22, 2016, 12:30:46 PM »
I think the Triking is an inferior machine. It has rear wheel drive, which means the propshaft goes through the cockpit on the passenger side.   It's a squeeze to say the least.

The Pembleton has many advantages, it is front wheel drive, with a non sequential gearbox with reverse, and inboard disk brakes.    The suspension is Fantastic.  There is lot's of seating room for both driver and passenger, same with the Lomax which is also based on a 2 CV.

Both the Lomax and Pemleton come in 3 wheel and 4 wheel versions and can be fitted with BMW and Guzzi engines using the Citroen gear box.   The can of course use the original Citroen engine if speed is not a concern

Here's a Pembleton with a Guzzi engine..

« Last Edit: November 22, 2016, 12:55:16 PM by SaskMick »

Offline Antietam Classic Cycle

• Gaggle Hero
  • Happily stuck in the past.
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
« Reply #37 on: November 22, 2016, 01:06:42 PM »
"Inferior/superior" is personal preference thing. I prefer rear-wheel-drive handling characteristics over front-wheel-drive. Two half-shafts with CV joints and rubber boots to service has never been my idea of fun. I don't see inboard disc brakes as an advantage, especially from a serviceability standpoint. The Citroen transaxle must weigh quite a bit more than a Guzzi unit.

I like that the Triking uses more Guzzi components - including the (sequential) gearbox, swingarm, rear drive and even the rear wheel unless the builder chooses otherwise. I'm betting one could even use Guzzi Tonti-frame spoke wheels on the front with custom-made bearing/disc carriers.

It would be nice if the Triking used alloy body panels instead of GRP.

I'm a rather small guy (5'6", 150 lbs.) so room for me won't be an issue. Any passenger too large to fit will just have to walk.  :wink: Anyway, the propshaft is inside the central tunnel, so driver and passenger seat width is nearly identical.

http://trikingsportscars.co.uk/

http://www.triking.co.uk/gallery.php

« Last Edit: November 22, 2016, 02:03:14 PM by Antietam Classic Cycle »
Charlie

Offline SaskMick

• Gosling
« Reply #38 on: November 22, 2016, 01:22:31 PM »
"Inferior/superior" is personal preference thing.

That's precisely why I started by saying " I think"  :grin:

Offline Bill Owens

• Gosling
« Reply #39 on: November 22, 2016, 01:28:11 PM »
Some of the points I wanted to bring up about these three wheelers are.
They are a total blast.
I am of course biased toward the Triking because it is the only one I have experienced, but the Guzzi aspect of these machines add a lot.
They are not cheep, but if one has the time and space to assemble a kit, not rocket science .
For those considering retiring from motorcycling but love the guzzi motor, this can still be a very exciting way to get around.
They are not luxury rides but fully capable of touring coast to coast.
In regard to points brought up earlier in this thread, visability is something to be aware of, staying focused is key and not hard to do when you are this close to the ground. Parking lots are the worst.
One aspect of  your visibility to other motorists on the road is that you are so different that you are seen.
Practical,really ??? Well I guess so. When I have to go to the grocery store, Triking, hardware store Triking, weddings,TK,post office,TK, Guzzi rally TK, vacation, oh ah TK!
Hopefully I will get some images up on this post that will show the Brookland style windscreens that came installed. They are really good looking but offer minimal protection. In preparation for longer trips we changed over to a touring type windscreen that offer much more protection and will accommodate a ragtop that Triking will provide.
For those that might consider a Triking kit I will share some of my thoughts.
First check their web site http://trikingsportscars.co.uk/current-prices
They offer a rear 15 inch rear wheel that takes automotive rear tire. I was burning through a rear tire in 2000 miles with the motorcycle rear wheel, now I get 10,000. There least expensive option (Guzzi content) is a guzzi cast wheel with modified rim. Works great. Also this reduces gear ratio a bit , helps with take of from dead stop.
I highly recommend the reverse gearbox, probably a little more driveline noise, but really who wants to get out and push.
Also available are windshield wipers for touring windscreen.
I would guess you can add any shocks that you want providing they are suitable length.
TK menu lets you see the total cost as you add the things you want
Anyone passing through Vermont is welcome to stop and check mine out.
Bill
http://s991.photobucket.com/user/guzzibill/library/

Offline SaskMick

• Gosling
« Reply #40 on: November 22, 2016, 01:38:17 PM »
Here's a link to the Pembleton forum site....

http://www.thepembleton.org.uk/OwnersCar/album2.shtml#dp

I think the Pembletons are the nicest with their all alloy body work, but they are a lot of work  compared to a Triking or a Lomax.

Offline Bill Owens

• Gosling
« Reply #41 on: November 22, 2016, 01:39:31 PM »
Actually the passenger side is a bit narrower as the shaft has a bit of an angle. I think Triking offers a slightly wider body.

Bill

Offline SaskMick

• Gosling
« Reply #42 on: November 22, 2016, 01:59:05 PM »
Actually the passenger side is a bit narrower as the shaft has a bit of an angle. I think Triking offers a slightly wider body.

Bill

Lomax's have plenty of room.  It's because they use the Citroen frame and don't use a prop shaft.

That's mine BTW, all I need to do is get it home.

Everything is a compromise and especially so if you are watching the pennies. My Lomax set me back 7500 USD before the expense of bring it to Canada and I still need to find a good Guzzi engine.   I think it's probably quite a bit cheaper than building anything similar.

Bill, What did your machine set you back at the end of the day ?
« Last Edit: November 22, 2016, 02:12:19 PM by SaskMick »

Offline Bill Owens

• Gosling
« Reply #43 on: November 22, 2016, 02:32:57 PM »
My Triking was commissioned by a doctor who had a personal tragedy just before completion of assembly so he abandoned the project. I paid $22,500. I think the body work and paint ate about $ 3,000 of that. I also got what was left of a new old stock Stone that was purchased for the project.

Bill

Offline SaskMick

• Gosling
« Reply #44 on: November 22, 2016, 02:34:50 PM »

I think roll bars are well worth considering especially if you use seat belts. I can't think of anything worse than rolling and being held captive to be pastried.    The ones they fit to the Morgans  look ok.

Offline SaskMick

• Gosling
« Reply #45 on: November 22, 2016, 02:44:21 PM »
My Triking was commissioned by a doctor who had a personal tragedy just before completion of assembly so he abandoned the project. I paid $22,500. I think the body work and paint ate about $ 3,000 of that. I also got what was left of a new old stock Stone that was purchased for the project.

Bill

I think you did ok Bill, especially as you did not have the hassle of importing anything.

Is your reverse driven by a starter motor ?

Offline Bill Owens

• Gosling
« Reply #46 on: November 22, 2016, 02:50:35 PM »

Offline SaskMick

• Gosling
« Reply #47 on: November 22, 2016, 02:53:40 PM »
I bet that was expensive.

PS just noticed the price, about $1500, not bad considering.    Had I built a three wheeler as I intended I would have used a starter motor for reverse.   
« Last Edit: November 22, 2016, 02:59:52 PM by SaskMick »

Offline SaskMick

• Gosling
« Reply #48 on: November 22, 2016, 03:25:52 PM »
Not sure I could live with those tall rocker box covers but I like the skinny wheels.

Offline SaskMick

• Gosling
« Reply #49 on: November 22, 2016, 06:29:45 PM »

I think you like using it for pulling the women  :wink:

« Last Edit: November 22, 2016, 06:32:00 PM by SaskMick »

Offline Arizona Wayne

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #50 on: November 22, 2016, 10:23:14 PM »
JZR also makes Morgan type  car kits if they're still in business.

The Citroen 2CV motors have far less hp than a Guzzi big block motor.

The Triking? Morgan seat I sat in wasn't too narrow on the passenger side for me and I weigh 200#.

Offline SaskMick

• Gosling
« Reply #51 on: November 23, 2016, 01:10:49 AM »
JZR also makes Morgan type  car kits if they're still in business.

The Citroen 2CV motors have far less hp than a Guzzi big block motor.

The Triking? Morgan seat I sat in wasn't too narrow on the passenger side for me and I weigh 200#.

John Ziemba ( JZR ) is still in business selling kits.

The Citroen 2CV motors have twice the power of a Guzzi big block motor. That's the reason many Pembleton and Lomax owners remove the Guzzi engines and install a 2CV upgrade.

The Morgan is a bigger and heavier car than the Triking.

:popcorn:

Offline jacksonracingcomau

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #52 on: November 23, 2016, 01:54:38 AM »
Trouble with the three wheelers is that it can be difficult to avoid pot holes, where I live it would be almost impossible,they are everywhere.
 Everything is a compromise, I think the most practical thing for me is to import a Lomax 224 with a Citroen 2 CV engine and install a Guzzi engine when I get it home. 
:1:, my bro has a lomax (2CV engine) in Kent UK, really hard to get your head around 3 tracks to avoid the potholes, usually is middle one that gets me, you see front wheels.

The Citroen 2CV motors have twice the power of a Guzzi big block motor. That's the reason many Pembleton and Lomax owners remove the Guzzi engines and install a 2CV upgrade.

Not sure I agree with that but if anyone in Uk with Guzzi engine (& adaptors) and wants to swap for 2CV, reckon the deal is done. Actually this year I was going to do it anyway to take to Mandello in Sept but no-one was game to drive it there (I took a bike)

Pembleton 4 wheeler with Guzzi engine is nicest IMHO if I ever get too old to ride a bike I might buy/ build one

Offline SaskMick

• Gosling
« Reply #53 on: November 23, 2016, 02:04:11 AM »
:1:, my bro has a lomax (2CV engine) in Kent UK, really hard to get your head around 3 tracks to avoid the potholes, usually is middle one that gets me, you see front wheels.

That's one of the reasons I bought one with 4 wheels

Not sure I agree with that but if anyone in Uk with Guzzi engine (& adaptors) and wants to swap for 2CV, reckon the deal is done. Actually this year I was going to do it anyway to take to Mandello in Sept but no-one was game to drive it there (I took a bike)

It was a joke.

Pembleton 4 wheeler with Guzzi engine is nicest IMHO if I ever get too old to ride a bike I might buy/ build one

I agree. I think it's known as the Brooklands.

Offline leafman60

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #54 on: November 23, 2016, 06:29:25 AM »
I think the strongest engine that Citroen had for the 2CV was about 30HP at around 600cc.

Offline leafman60

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #55 on: November 23, 2016, 06:32:07 AM »
602 CC, 33 HP

Offline JJ

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #56 on: November 23, 2016, 08:43:13 AM »
I think you like using it for pulling the women  :wink:

One thing about 3-wheelers, of any variety, they seem to put smiles on everyone's face, which in today's insane world, is not a bad thing! :thumb: :cool: :1:
'98 V10 Centauro GT
Village of Oak Creek, AZ

Offline Bill Owens

• Gosling
« Reply #57 on: November 23, 2016, 08:59:12 AM »
My wife has named our Triking ( The Happy Car)

Offline SaskMick

• Gosling
« Reply #58 on: November 23, 2016, 09:26:21 AM »
My wife has named our Triking ( The Happy Car)

Is that your wife beside you in that pic ?

Offline Bill Owens

• Gosling
« Reply #59 on: November 23, 2016, 09:29:49 AM »
Nope :wink:

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
Best quality vinyl available today. Easy application.
Advertise Here