Author Topic: Triking Thread  (Read 16441 times)

Offline SaskMick

• Gosling
Re: Triking Thread
« Reply #60 on: November 23, 2016, 09:40:43 AM »
This is my wife...

Online huub

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #61 on: November 23, 2016, 09:58:14 AM »
i must confess i own a lomax too, mine still has the 2cv engine.
the thing used to be our daily transport at one stage.
we now run a 2cv as a daily transport.

i have a 850T engine waiting for the lomax , but honestly it doesn't really need the extra power.
anything over 70 mph is extremely uncomfortable if you are sitting unprotected.
try sticking your head out of a car window at 70 mph  :grin:

the biggest plus of the lomax is its handling ,
you can throw it around as hard as you want , if you overdo it it will do a very controllable front wheel slide , and loose speed in the process.
so roundabouts can be taken flat out,  controlling the speed by sliding the front end.
it is pretty impossible to roll a lomax , as soon as you lift a front wheel you loose traction due to the front diff.

imagine riding a 33 HP go kart on the road , that will slide before it spins or rolls.
quite a lot of fun on back roads.

Offline John A

• Gaggle Hero
  • No way to slow down...
« Reply #62 on: November 23, 2016, 10:31:35 AM »
http://www.3wheelers.com/enter.html
This has a good data base of all three wheelers but might have some screwy stuff that I didn't see on a apple. If Rodekyll is hooked up maybe he will check it out and let us know if it should be deleted, otherwise be warned
« Last Edit: November 24, 2016, 04:24:38 AM by John A »
John
MGNOC L-471
It is easier to fool people than it is to convince them that they have been fooled-Mark Twain
99 Bassa, sidecar
02 Stone
84 V65C
15 F3S Spyder

Offline SaskMick

• Gosling
« Reply #63 on: November 23, 2016, 10:49:04 AM »
i must confess i own a lomax too, mine still has the 2cv engine.
the thing used to be our daily transport at one stage.
we now run a 2cv as a daily transport.

i have a 850T engine waiting for the lomax , but honestly it doesn't really need the extra power.
anything over 70 mph is extremely uncomfortable if you are sitting unprotected.
try sticking your head out of a car window at 70 mph  :grin:

Have you been for a drive in Lomax with a Guzzi engine ?       To me it's not so much about speed, it's about how quickly it gets there more than anything. Couple that with the looks and the sound + the good handling and you have a real sports car............ The 70mph example applies to motorcycles too.

the biggest plus of the lomax is its handling ,
you can throw it around as hard as you want , if you overdo it it will do a very controllable front wheel slide , and loose speed in the process.
so roundabouts can be taken flat out,  controlling the speed by sliding the front end.
it is pretty impossible to roll a lomax , as soon as you lift a front wheel you loose traction due to the front diff.

imagine riding a 33 HP go kart on the road , that will slide before it spins or rolls.
quite a lot of fun on back roads.

Mine is coming with the 2 CV engine so I will soon find out what it's like. The Mrs ( picture above ) is keen for it to arrive.

Please post a pic of yours.

I have heard from other owners that they are good fun as is.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2016, 11:04:33 AM by SaskMick »

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #63 on: November 23, 2016, 10:49:04 AM »

Offline Antietam Classic Cycle

• Gaggle Hero
  • Happily stuck in the past.
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
« Reply #64 on: November 23, 2016, 11:01:03 AM »
http://www.3wheelers.com/enter.html

Watch opening the "A-Z Tour" on that page - it tried to start downloading a suspicious file when I did.
Charlie

Offline SaskMick

• Gosling
« Reply #65 on: November 23, 2016, 11:03:23 AM »
Watch opening the "A-Z Tour" on that page - it tried to start downloading a suspicious file when I did.

I ended up with a survey to complete, I had a job to leave the website.

Offline Arizona Wayne

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #66 on: November 23, 2016, 01:54:08 PM »
Sidecar rigs put a smile on everyones face too and also pull the women in.  :wink:

Offline Arizona Wayne

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #67 on: November 23, 2016, 02:03:40 PM »
"going into a corner you lose speed in the process.
so roundabouts can be taken flat out"

My long time friend Jim's `52 MGTD is like that with 50 hp.  :cheesy:

Offline SaskMick

• Gosling
« Reply #68 on: November 23, 2016, 02:26:47 PM »
Sidecar rigs put a smile on everyones face too and also pull the women in.  :wink:

This is true.

Offline John A

• Gaggle Hero
  • No way to slow down...
« Reply #69 on: November 23, 2016, 02:50:05 PM »
I ended up with a survey to complete, I had a job to leave the website.

I see what you mean, I had gotten there sideways on a apple and started in the middle of the alphabetical listing of 3 wheelers so didn't see anything peculiar. when I start it wants me to download a new flash player an is hard to get out of. too bad ,it looked like a bunch of info.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2016, 04:26:11 AM by John A »
John
MGNOC L-471
It is easier to fool people than it is to convince them that they have been fooled-Mark Twain
99 Bassa, sidecar
02 Stone
84 V65C
15 F3S Spyder

Online huub

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #70 on: November 23, 2016, 02:54:22 PM »
Have you been for a drive in Lomax with a Guzzi engine ?       To me it's not so much about speed, it's about how quickly it gets there more than anything. Couple that with the looks and the sound + the good handling and you have a real sports car............ The 70mph example applies to motorcycles too.

I have heard from other owners that they are good fun as is.
of course the same on a motorcycle , i wouldnt ride a motorcycle at those speeds without my full face helmet,
but what is the point of owning a open sports car if you wear a helmet?

nice lomax, mine is the virtually the same , even the same color
only difference ,mine has three wheels.
i did drive one with a guzzi engine for a very short ride, it is a lot easier to drive, with the original engine you need to be flat out all the time to get anywhere.
i would be worried about the life expectancy of the 2cv gearbox with a healthy guzzi bigblock ....

Offline SaskMick

• Gosling
« Reply #71 on: November 23, 2016, 03:19:09 PM »
of course the same on a motorcycle , i wouldnt ride a motorcycle at those speeds without my full face helmet,
but what is the point of owning a open sports car if you wear a helmet?

nice lomax, mine is the virtually the same , even the same color
only difference ,mine has three wheels.
i did drive one with a guzzi engine for a very short ride, it is a lot easier to drive, with the original engine you need to be flat out all the time to get anywhere.
i would be worried about the life expectancy of the 2cv gearbox with a healthy guzzi bigblock ....

Where I live I have to wear a helmet when driving a 3 wheeler, but not with a 4 wheeler. I will wear a flying hat and goggles which is a lot better than a helmet.

I too was worried about the strength of the 2 CV gearbox, but have been told by long time Pembleton / Lomax owners with Guzzi engines that the gearbox is very strong .

Offline jacksonracingcomau

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #72 on: November 23, 2016, 07:10:42 PM »
Don't think you'd ever break a 2CV gearbox, maybe kill synchros if the umbrella stick not mastered.
I like it, use 3-4 only on the run, nice quick change. 2-3 takes some nutting out but once sussed is good too.
4 speed and gearing determine where you take it but I never got to 70mph in bros, actually above 40 impossible to talk/hear. For long trips I'd wear a helmet, and still never go on motorways. Smooth bitumen, tight & twisty is seriously good fun, potholes not so much, back is only half a 2cv suspension on his one (leaf spring turned inwards)

Not like a bike to me, wind noise is incredible. Little screen does SFA to quieten it, Bill's windsreen / rag top might do trick.

Online huub

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #73 on: November 24, 2016, 04:07:04 AM »
Don't think you'd ever break a 2CV gearbox, maybe kill synchros if the umbrella stick not mastered.
I like it, use 3-4 only on the run, nice quick change. 2-3 takes some nutting out but once sussed is good too.
4 speed and gearing determine where you take it but I never got to 70mph in bros, actually above 40 impossible to talk/hear. For long trips I'd wear a helmet, and still never go on motorways. Smooth bitumen, tight & twisty is seriously good fun, potholes not so much, back is only half a 2cv suspension on his one (leaf spring turned inwards)

Not like a bike to me, wind noise is incredible. Little screen does SFA to quieten it, Bill's windsreen / rag top might do trick.

i have been running 2cv's for 30 years, i've got at least half a dozen broken gearboxes to prove they are not that indestructible.
most broke using visa (650cc) engines.
the gearbox doesnt like high torque ,so dumping the clutch with a guzzi engine is probably going to kill it.
not a problem probably ,if you are in a hurry you shouldnt be driving the lomax.
if you find the rear suspension too soft you can connect the two swingarms, so you can use both spring canisters

Offline SaskMick

• Gosling
« Reply #74 on: November 24, 2016, 04:34:02 AM »
i have been running 2cv's for 30 years, i've got at least half a dozen broken gearboxes to prove they are not that indestructible.
the gearbox doesnt like high torque ,so dumping the clutch with a guzzi engine is probably going to kill it.

Interesting.  Turnkey Pembletons are available but they all seem to have small block 750 cc engines, I wonder if that is the reason why..  Is that the reason you have not installed your 850 cc engine yet ?

Online huub

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #75 on: November 24, 2016, 06:03:12 AM »
Interesting.  Turnkey Pembletons are available but they all seem to have small block 750 cc engines, I wonder if that is the reason why..  Is that the reason you have not installed your 850 cc engine yet ?

the small block is probably because of the cost.
they should be potent enough to destroy a gearbox.
i have way too many car and bike projects, my household is running 30-40 year old vehicles as daily transport
just keeping those on the road is a challenge.
and i am rebuilding a house, so other projects tend to take decades....
fitting the guzzi engines to the lomax is one of those projects,
the guzzi engine was bought at the end of the last century  :embarrassed:

Offline Arizona Wayne

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #76 on: November 24, 2016, 02:21:07 PM »
I have 2- 3 wheeler roadsters that lean in corners..........Pi aggio MP3s.  1 will  do 77 mph(250cc), the other 90 mph(400cc). I call them poor man trikes.   :grin:

Offline Arizona Wayne

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #77 on: November 24, 2016, 02:43:09 PM »
Do you find them more stable than a 2-wheeled motorcycle when road surfaces are less than perfect?

By far since the front wheels are independently sprung.  1 front wheel can go over an object and you hardly feel it.  Also in rainy conditions it's like driving a car.......you don't worry about the front end possibly washing out.   The only thing is on loose gravel since all 3 wheels are independent if the rocks are small the whole rig feels squirrely.   On pavement or solid surfaces things feel fine.   In soft dirt the front end feels harder to turn than on a MC, so this setup is best on firm surfaces.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2016, 02:51:24 PM by Arizona Wayne »

Offline jacksonracingcomau

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #78 on: November 24, 2016, 09:00:54 PM »
not a problem probably ,if you are in a hurry you shouldnt be driving the lomax.
if you find the rear suspension too soft you can connect the two swingarms, so you can use both spring canisters

Bow down to your exp, makes idea of putting big block in his less likely but there are loads in UK with them, usually seen in shows, all sparkly, no idea if anyone uses them in anger.
Yep, he and I both drive his one gently on clutch/ box etc,  2CV driving is an art form, reading traffic lights etc, never slow down, takes too long to get back there

Offline johnr

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #79 on: November 25, 2016, 03:24:27 PM »
So, how do these various clones stack up against an actual Morgan?
I seem to remember a clip of the Top Gear team thrashing the hell out of a Morgan 3 wheeler on a race track without breaking anything.

Found a clip
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C8-4IKUntko
« Last Edit: November 25, 2016, 03:48:37 PM by johnr »
New Zealand
2002 Ev tourer (Stalled again...)

Offline SaskMick

• Gosling
« Reply #80 on: November 25, 2016, 06:56:10 PM »
So, how do these various clones stack up against an actual Morgan?
I seem to remember a clip of the Top Gear team thrashing the hell out of a Morgan 3 wheeler on a race track without breaking anything.

Found a clip
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C8-4IKUntko

The price of a Morgan makes them unobtainable for all but the well heeled.

Offline fredvv44

• New Egg
« Reply #81 on: December 04, 2016, 08:00:13 AM »
For those interested in the Triking cycle car. I am a big fan. For one thing I have been an owner and enthusiast of Moto Guzzi since 1978. Had a T3, SP,CX 100, now a Triking cycle.

I just found this thread and have to put in my 2 cents. I built a JZR 2 years ago and it is the most fun car I've ever owned. I've had it up to 85 on he interstate and thrown it into curves and done high speed drifts on curvy roads and it takes them all. I did a blog as I built mine and have had over 42,000 hits. Have a look, lots of pix and info if you are interested in building one of these. I think the Triking has a better fit and finish but a much higher price too.
Fred V
www.jzrusa2.blogspo t.com

Offline 5154guzzi

• Gosling
    • Team Subtle Crowbar
« Reply #82 on: December 04, 2016, 11:28:19 AM »
JZR is looking great Fred !   Where did you source those mirrors ?  Looking for something similar for my JZR.

Bill

Offline Arizona Wayne

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #83 on: December 04, 2016, 12:50:06 PM »
Recently I watched a video of a 3 car comparison on a race track with 1 of the vehicles being an actual Morgan trike w/S&S motor.  The other 2 vehicles(forget what) were 4 wheelers that were much faster in acceleration than the trike.   In the track speed comparison the Morgan was fastest.  :shocked:   Like you say, it went thru corners no problem with it's narrow tires, sliding the rear wheel in some of the corners.  :cool:

Offline fredvv44

• New Egg
« Reply #84 on: December 06, 2016, 07:51:34 AM »
JZR is looking great Fred !   Where did you source those mirrors ?  Looking for something similar for my JZR.

Bill
Bill, someone else imported the chassis and gathered a truckload of parts including the '85 Cal2 donor bike. The mirrors were part of the load. He was in a wreck and couldn't work on it anymore so he sold it.
Fred V

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here