Author Topic: The favorite saying your Dad taught you?  (Read 15133 times)

Rough Edge racing

Re: The favorite saying your Dad taught you?
« Reply #120 on: January 20, 2017, 11:55:58 AM »
My Dad and Mom were pretty conventional when it came to things served up on the table.

It worked to our advantage sometimes.   When we would kill hogs the first cold weather in November, we had an old man from up the road who really knew how a hog was put together help us kill and butcher them.   When he found out that we weren't going to use the head, guts, and feet, he worked all afternoon for just the parts from 3 hogs that we didn't want, and didn't take any money ....

Lannis

My grandparents were from Italy and Poland/Russia...So my parents had the taste for eating all sorts of things..Italian grandmother had some sort of animal head in the oven one time...

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #121 on: January 20, 2017, 01:02:01 PM »
My grandparents were from Italy and Poland/Russia...So my parents had the taste for eating all sorts of things..Italian grandmother had some sort of animal head in the oven one time...

Probably didn't run in my family because my direct ancestors were never hungry in the sense that they might starve - my grandpa on one side worked for the Post Office through the Depression, and great-grandpa for the Commerce Department ... on the other side g-grandpa ran a grist mill ...

... All to say that, unlike very many people in hard times, they didn't have to clean an animal down to the bone to avoid going hungry.   My in-laws, on the other hand, were well familiar with squirrel brains, chitlins, and roasted possum ... Tell kids that today, and will they believe you?   I don't think they eat anything beside pizzas dipped in ranch dressing ....

Lannis
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

Offline Zoom Zoom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #122 on: January 21, 2017, 05:35:26 AM »
Dad had a lot of wisdom, as I'm sure many of us would say about our pop.

A couple:
Treat people the way you would like to be treated.

You can do it right or you can do it twice. If you haven't got time to do it right, then you haven't got time to do it twice!

He has been gone many years. I still think of things he said........ sigh.

John Henry

Offline sign216

• Gaggle Hero
    • Guzzi 750s - Breva, Nevada, V7, etc
« Reply #123 on: January 21, 2017, 05:38:12 AM »

My grandparents were from that Russian-Polish area too.  They were Jewish, and life was hard. 
Over here they ran some corner grocery stores before WWII.  THey would sell lung and other organs that aren't commonly eaten now.  Also sold horsemeat, but that was just as dogfood (in theory).
09 Guzzi V7C
58 BMW R50
65 Gilera 106
69 Benelli 350

https://groups.io/g/Moto-Guzzi-750

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #123 on: January 21, 2017, 05:38:12 AM »

Offline derek533

• Hatchling
« Reply #124 on: January 21, 2017, 10:40:33 AM »
Even though it's common knowledge, when you're 10 trying to "fix" your bike, it really helps.

"Left loosey, righty tighty"

His humor was also off kilter a little as well...

"she could eat corn-on-the-cob through a picket fence"

whenever he saw someone with buck teeth
06 Breva 1100

Married, 3.5 kids, and very blessed.

Rough Edge racing

« Reply #125 on: January 21, 2017, 11:01:25 AM »
Probably didn't run in my family because my direct ancestors were never hungry in the sense that they might starve - my grandpa on one side worked for the Post Office through the Depression, and great-grandpa for the Commerce Department ... on the other side g-grandpa ran a grist mill ...

... All to say that, unlike very many people in hard times, they didn't have to clean an animal down to the bone to avoid going hungry.   My in-laws, on the other hand, were well familiar with squirrel brains, chitlins, and roasted possum ... Tell kids that today, and will they believe you?   I don't think they eat anything beside pizzas dipped in ranch dressing ....

Lannis

I believe my grandparents were  similar , not poor at all...They must have eaten what they did out of tradition...My Italian grandfather worked as an account for what some call the NJ Mob...later he owned a jukebox business...My mother's father, who I never knew, would up near Springfield Ohio as a scrap metal business owner.....to them, the Great Depression was the suffering of others...

« Last Edit: January 21, 2017, 11:02:30 AM by Rough Edge racing »

Offline charlie b

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #126 on: January 22, 2017, 07:35:30 AM »
Mom grew up during the depression eating "leftovers", as in what other people did not.  Father ran a very small diner and they got what the customers did not order that day.  They considered themselves lucky to have that.  Single father, five kids, one bedroom house.

She repeated the one said by her father at the dinner table, "eat what there is, the other kids don't have anything". 
1984 850 T5 (sold)
2009 Dodge Cummins 2500

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here