General Category > Bike Builds, Rebuilds And Restorations Only

V7 Sport (road rash)

<< < (2/11) > >>

czakky82:
Sounds like I can get by without protecting the mating surfaces with vapor honing. Can threads get damaged?

I haven’t had the crank measured yet. Fingers crossed I can get away with just fresh bearings.
A fresh oil pump is in the budget.

Canuck750:

--- Quote from: czakky82 on December 12, 2021, 08:39:48 PM ---Sounds like I can get by without protecting the mating surfaces with vapor honing. Can threads get damaged?

I haven’t had the crank measured yet. Fingers crossed I can get away with just fresh bearings.
A fresh oil pump is in the budget.

--- End quote ---

Vapour honing will not damage threads but blind holes can be hard to clear of media, when I can, I thread in an old bolt into the threaded hole before I vapour hone. Regardless of plugging holes or not, I chase out all threaded holes before reassembly.
Vapour honing with fine glass bead is very safe, the bead does not fracture on impact like dry blast so no tiny shards of glass bead get embedded in the porous surface of the casting. I pull all ball bearings and races out of all castings before blasting, near impossible to get the media out of a bearing. After honing I rinse and with compressed air blow dry the part then rinse and dry again. After you finish assembling the engine spray it down with brake cleaner followed with a spray and wipe of ACF-50.
Vapour honing only pulls off oxidation, it does not damage the base metal.

Scout63:
Czakky you should expect to run a tap through every threaded hole in the case as the media will soften up threads.  Especially vulnerable are the front timing chest and sump holes and the cylinder head rocker cover screw holes.  The result is so worth it though. More pictures please.

cliffrod:
I understand that people prefer not to have to turn these crankshafts, but do what you need to do and move forward.  If it needs turning, it doesn't look like it will need much.  Glad to see it's not badly gouged or grooved.  fwiw, my crankshaft had to be turned, so it was.  Many happy trouble-free miles since...

czakky82:
@Canuck, I think I will go through with my original plan to seal up the cases. Should be less clean up when done I hope. I think the trans should be pretty well sealed up hopefully saving me from having to replace all the blind bearings inside…?

@Cliffrod: I keep going back and forth between fitting an oil filter conversion or not… Maybe I can see what the machine shop will charge for drilling.

Other news, it looks like I’ve got an 850t rear drive with a slightly shorter gear ratio that I’ll be using.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version