Author Topic: East Coast flooding  (Read 9206 times)

oldbike54

East Coast flooding
« on: October 04, 2015, 08:45:33 AM »
 Are you folks along the East coast OK , Nick , Rotten , Kev , Red Rider , sorry , need more  :coffee: to remember everyone . Check in folks

Dusty

Offline Green1000S

• Gaggle Hero
Re: East Coast flooding
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2015, 08:54:07 AM »

Nothing unusal in Lancaster, PA.
Good day to take the kayak out for some fun time!
Lauri
2014 Green Stelvio NTX
2016 Stornello #101
1972 Bultaco Matador SD
2016 KTM Duke 390
49cc 1921 Guzzi Board Track Racer;-)
1968 Riverside MW 125
1972 Bultaco Matador M82 Six Days
2 Robin's + 1/2 doz other mopeds

Ciao!

Offline hooah54

• Hatchling
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2015, 08:54:58 AM »
The rain bands have flooded areas to the east of me heavily and some parts are under water.  Last night the bands shifted and we got pounded but everything is still good.  Red Rider lives about 10 miles from me and the main road in his area is flooded badly according to the news.
'85 MG  Cal II, '03 BMW R1150R, '09 Piaggio MP3 250 ie

Offline Triple Jim

• Gaggle Hero
    • Lakeland Services Company
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2015, 09:00:39 AM »
There has been a lot of cold drizzle and some rain here for the last couple weeks.  The lake has risen about five feet in the last four days, but it has a long way to go before it gets to the dam's spillway.  Even if it were to get that high, it still wouldn't reach my property, so we're pretty flood-proof.  I haven't heard of any flooding in local towns.  There really hasn't been much heavy rain here, just an amazing amount of light rain.
When the Brussels sprout fails to venture from its lair, it is time to roll a beaver up a grassy slope.

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2015, 09:00:39 AM »

Offline Nick

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2015, 09:12:03 AM »
Much rain and wind here in SW New Jersey, but all is well. The shore area to the east is not fairing too well.
Thanks for asking Dusty.

Offline sidecarnutz

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2015, 10:40:36 AM »
High tides since yesterday bring the water up within less than a foot of our main road on a creek. But isn't an issue so far as it stays in the creek.
yeah, I might be addicted to brake fluid. But I can stop any time I want.

2002 Kawasaki ZR7S
2021 Royal Enfield 650 Conti GT

Offline jackson

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2015, 11:01:02 AM »
We live around 250 miles from the South Carolina coast and about 10 miles south of the NC/SC border (right at the foot of the mountains)so we're considerably higher (around 1150 ft above sea level).  We have had around 7 1/2 inches of rain during the last two days.  It's stopped raining right now (noon/Sunday) and the storm is still strong but south of us.  Those who live just 10-15 miles to the south of our home have had around 10 inches or more and there's been a lot of flooding & downed trees.  We've been lucky with no flooded streets or fallen trees in our neighborhood; just some minor leaks around the flashing on our chimney that our roof guy will fix when it drys out in a few days.  This is a major storm for this area. Unfortunately, many others have had it much worse.  I saw a picture this morning on a local website where a man was riding a full dress Harley on a flooded street. The water was up to his foot pegs.  Apparently, he's never heard of hydro-locking an engine.
NO longer can ride

Offline Nic in Western NYS

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2015, 01:19:23 PM »
OK so far in Western NC.  Sun is poking out so that's encouraging.  It's been raining for 9 days straight, with another 3+ to go.
'04 Ducati ST4sABS
Fondly remembered Geese: LeMans V, Sport 1100, Centauro, Breva 1100

Offline guzzi4me

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2015, 01:52:22 PM »
What is this "rain" you speak of?  If I remember correctly is falls from the sky right??

All kidding aside hope everyone gets through OK.

Jeff S
Fruita CO

01 Jackal "Mistress"...sold
02 Stone "Giada"...donated Cedar Vale raffle
16 Stone V7 II "Olivia"...racking up the miles!!

Offline Wild Bill Guzzi

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2015, 01:54:35 PM »
Yes, thanks for asking. 

elvisboy77

« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2015, 02:25:13 PM »
A few roof leaks on Duke campus, we did a lot of prep work and it is paying off.

Was supposed to sell my beach condo in Cherry Grove/North Myrtle Beach SC last week.  It was delayed by the lender for some reason.  I hope it is still there!  I keep getting robo calls from the authorities down there about floods.

Thanks for asking!

Online sib

• Gaggle Hero
  • Location: Smallest state, 221 times smaller than Texas, often compared to the size of an oil slick, forest fire, or ice sheet
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2015, 02:26:59 PM »
No rain in RI or eastern CT.  Beautiful day, sunny skies, high 50's temps, took a nice ~75 mi ride on the '16 Stone, the only challenge was the gusty winds that came from all directions.  Fall colors are here.
Current: 2021 V7 Stone E5
Previous: 2016 V7II Stone
Previous: 2013 V7 Stone
Several decades ago: 1962? Honda CB77 Super Hawk

Offline Sasquatch Jim

• Gaggle Hero
  • Sidecar - Best drive by shooting vehicle ever
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2015, 02:34:31 PM »
  It has been torrential rains here too but when you live on an island there is plenty of room for the runoff
 without causing rising waters.
  However one must respect creeks and streams for the duration of the downpour.
 Tourists and other fools sometimes get washed downstream.
Sasquatch Jim        Humanoid, sort of.

Offline hooah54

• Hatchling
« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2015, 02:35:18 PM »
Got outside during the lighter phase of the rain.  Water had cascaded over the retaining wall in the backyard and eventually went under the house.  Had to crawl under the deck to clear the vents. Watched the local news and was shocked to see that several ares in the city of columbia were underwater due to dam and levees breaking.  Any on heard  from Red Rider?

Offline Dilliw

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2015, 02:39:09 PM »
All good here but my folks are in Columbia and that's one of the worst places.  There's a dam on Gill's Creek that broke and a lot of the flooding pictures you see are from below there.  If you did time at Fort Jackson then you might remember La Brasca's Pizza and Gill's Creek runs right by there.

Screamday is in West Columbia but should be pretty dry. 
George Westbury
Austin, TX
2003 EVT "The Tank"
2011 Griso SE

L-824 and L-825

Offline Triple Jim

• Gaggle Hero
    • Lakeland Services Company
« Reply #15 on: October 04, 2015, 02:45:22 PM »
Was supposed to sell my beach condo in Cherry Grove/North Myrtle Beach SC last week.  It was delayed by the lender for some reason.  I hope it is still there!  I keep getting robo calls from the authorities down there about floods.

My Mother in Law lives in Cherry Grove.  Last we heard, she was getting the typical high tide flooding that they get during storms and full moons, nothing terrible, just some water under the house-on-stilts.
When the Brussels sprout fails to venture from its lair, it is time to roll a beaver up a grassy slope.

Offline Vagrant

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #16 on: October 04, 2015, 03:36:37 PM »
anybody try to get on the Blue ridge Pky today? their map shows the whole thing shut down and I was going to do a So. to No. run starting Monday am.
HE IS FREE WHO LIVES AS HE CHOOSES
2016 V7II, 2017 V7-III Blue special, 2022 V85 the fast red one! 2016 650 Versys
L-196, L-197

Bill Hagan

« Reply #17 on: October 04, 2015, 04:26:47 PM »
anybody try to get on the Blue ridge Pky today? their map shows the whole thing shut down and I was going to do a So. to No. run starting Monday am.

We ran three weeks ago in stunning weather, Steve, and, curious how it might be from the monsoon of the past week or so, just checked some webcams.

http://brpwebcams.org/cam/8/1

Pretty foggy as you might expect at elevations, but some of the lower stretches looked clear(ish).

Saw traffic in the time-lapse shots.

Have a fine ride.

Bill

Offline Dean Rose

• Gaggle Hero
    • Twin Valley Riders
« Reply #18 on: October 04, 2015, 08:55:54 PM »
It finally stopped raining here today, we've had week or more of it. Only worry was the wind recently blowing over some trees with the ground being so saturated. So far so good.

Dean
Magnolia '02 EV
Sophia '06 Breva 1100 
"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity."

oldbike54

« Reply #19 on: October 04, 2015, 11:01:38 PM »
 Thanks for checking in guys  :thumb: Yes please , someone check on Redrider .

Dusty

Offline Tobit

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #20 on: October 05, 2015, 09:07:02 AM »
All good here but my folks are in Columbia and that's one of the worst places.  There's a dam on Gill's Creek that broke and a lot of the flooding pictures you see are from below there.  If you did time at Fort Jackson then you might remember La Brasca's Pizza and Gill's Creek runs right by there.

Screamday is in West Columbia but should be pretty dry.

La Brasca's was a popular hangout for my gang.  I lived in Shandon, up the hill from 5 points.

T
Roman, '86 LM IV

I drive way too fast to worry about cholesterol

Offline hooah54

• Hatchling
« Reply #21 on: October 05, 2015, 10:11:52 AM »
There have been nine fatalities from this storm and most have these have occured on the roadways.  State and local officials have pleaded and enacted curfews but there are those out on the roads running barricades and removing cones on closed roads.  Many think that because the rain has subsided that is safe to be out.  Many of the floods and creeks have been innundated and river flood stages are at record high.  The substructure of the road has been washed away.  A  couple of miles from my house a a road completly caved into a small wetland.  If you have relatives here encourage them to stay inside today and if they must go out obey the road closing barricades.

oldbike54

« Reply #22 on: October 05, 2015, 10:20:30 AM »
There have been nine fatalities from this storm and most have these have occured on the roadways.  State and local officials have pleaded and enacted curfews but there are those out on the roads running barricades and removing cones on closed roads.  Many think that because the rain has subsided that is safe to be out.  Many of the floods and creeks have been innundated and river flood stages are at record high.  The substructure of the road has been washed away.  A  couple of miles from my house a a road completly caved into a small wetland.  If you have relatives here encourage them to stay inside today and if they must go out obey the road closing barricades.

:1:

Dusty

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #23 on: October 05, 2015, 11:12:45 AM »
Seems to me people are afraid of lightning (50 deaths a year in US) more than floods (200 deaths/year in US) and snake bites (10 deaths/year in US) more than dog bites (40 deaths/year in US) probably because of the vividness (WOW factor) of snakes and lightning, but dead is dead.  Most flood related deaths are in vehicles.   
'04 Ducati ST4sABS

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #24 on: October 05, 2015, 11:44:54 AM »
Seems to me people are afraid of lightning (50 deaths a year in US) more than floods (200 deaths/year in US) and snake bites (10 deaths/year in US) more than dog bites (40 deaths/year in US) probably because of the vividness (WOW factor) of snakes and lightning, but dead is dead.  Most flood related deaths are in vehicles.

Interesting, this "perceived risk" thing. People driving onto flooded roads. 

In each year,

50 killed by lightning.
200 by floods
10 by snakes
29 killed by someone they didn't know in NYC
0 killed by nuclear accidents
32,000 killed on the road in a wreck.

And yet we happily go out on the road EVERY day, with a risk of getting killed ONE THOUSAND TIMES greater than the things people spend time worrying about, and nobody seems to do much of anything about the causes that lead to all those deaths .... ?

Lannis
« Last Edit: October 05, 2015, 11:46:04 AM by Lannis »
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #25 on: October 05, 2015, 12:36:34 PM »
Interesting, this "perceived risk" thing. People driving onto flooded roads. 

In each year,

50 killed by lightning.
200 by floods
10 by snakes
29 killed by someone they didn't know in NYC
0 killed by nuclear accidents
32,000 killed on the road in a wreck.

And yet we happily go out on the road EVERY day, with a risk of getting killed ONE THOUSAND TIMES greater than the things people spend time worrying about, and nobody seems to do much of anything about the causes that lead to all those deaths .... ?

Lannis
As soon as issues related to "freedom" and "liberty" come into play, it's a different kettle of fish.  Fill in the blanks with issues as you wish.
'04 Ducati ST4sABS

oldbike54

« Reply #26 on: October 05, 2015, 01:50:31 PM »
As soon as issues related to "freedom" and "liberty" come into play, it's a different kettle of fish.  Fill in the blanks with issues as you wish.

Yes ,and traffic fatalities have been on a steady decline for years now , seems as though someone is doing something about this issue .

Dusty

Offline hooah54

• Hatchling
« Reply #27 on: October 05, 2015, 01:53:25 PM »
As we used to say in the infantry, "there is a thin line between hardcore and stupid!".  I could recount more pearls of military wisdom but ...good point Mr. 54

oldbike54

« Reply #28 on: October 05, 2015, 01:57:07 PM »
As we used to say in the infantry, "there is a thin line between hardcore and stupid!".  I could recount more pearls of military wisdom but ...good point Mr. 54

Thanks Mr 54  :laugh: Now before this thread goes off the rails and crashes straight in to politics , anymore news from the East Coast ?

Dusty

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #29 on: October 05, 2015, 02:14:31 PM »
Thanks Mr 54  :laugh: Now before this thread goes off the rails and crashes straight in to politics , anymore news from the East Coast ?

Dusty

It's wet and soggy.   And there's 85 more dead people on the highways than there were yesterday .....

Lannis
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here