Author Topic: Pat on my back  (Read 8028 times)

Offline Semper-guzzi

• Gaggle Mentor
Pat on my back
« on: January 06, 2015, 06:18:26 PM »
I'm pretty proud of myself. Changed tires front and rear, brake pads needed to be swapped out front and rear as well. I don't know how much I saved by doing it myself but I'm sure it was a lot. Holy crap tho, I realize how bad I need a motorcycle specific lift. Jack and Jack stands and cinder blocks and wood just isn't going to cut it.

How much do you think I saved in labor? Tubes, tires and brakes were about 200 bucks total.
"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."

2003 California Aluminum RiP :(
2001 Jackal :)

oldbike54

Re: Pat on my back
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2015, 06:23:05 PM »
Turnkey that would have been probably just about enough to pay for a decent MC jack  :D Good job SG  ;-T

Dusty

Online fotoguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
  • vee git tooh soon oldt und too late wise -my Dad
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2015, 07:24:35 PM »
Last fall I paid $46. each f&r when I brought wheels in off the bike. that included a fee to dispose of the old tires.

next time I'll go back to my friend Marty who did it for me 20bucks each..

in any case, >$100. is worth it to me not having to get down on my knees with tire spoons, soap and dirt.. I don't have a balancer either and I wanted that done right.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2015, 07:25:30 PM by fotoguzzi »
MINNEAPOLIS, MN

Offline rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2015, 07:32:23 PM »
It's a vicious spiral.  You learn something and save some $$.  Having learned something you get bolder and spend the $avings on the tools and equipment to do it better, along the way learning something else and saving more $$.  Eventually the shop is so full of stuff you bought by learning skills and saving $$ that there's nowhere to park the bike.

That's why I say get the lift first.  That way when the space runs out you still have somewhere to work on the bike.

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2015, 07:32:23 PM »

Online fotoguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
  • vee git tooh soon oldt und too late wise -my Dad
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2015, 08:02:20 PM »
Last fall I paid $46. each f&r when I brought wheels in off the bike. that included a fee to dispose of the old tires.

next time I'll go back to my friend Marty who did it for me 20bucks each..

in any case, >$100. is worth it to me not having to get down on my knees with tire spoons, soap and dirt.. I don't have a balancer either and I wanted that done right.

wrote as I'm sitting in the easy chair ICING MY KNEE.. did something 2 days ago and it's aching, specially when I get up from sitting or out of the car..  this time it's not my bad knee and feels a bit different, like it will be better sooner.. and I'm in the busy season, Legislature for 2015 got underway today.. yipee I work at the remote office on the Capitol grounds for the next 5 months. but I need all my knees to get around there..
MINNEAPOLIS, MN

Online guzziownr

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2015, 08:19:48 PM »
If I lived next door to Antietam Cycle I would sell my tools and never work on my bike again. 

There is no one I trust to work on my bike within 200 miles.
If you ever feel like no one pays attention to you, try making a sandwich in front of your dog

Offline radguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
  • N 44° 01.233 W 069° 41.267 ~ Midcoast, Maine USA
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2015, 08:21:09 PM »
Good on ya Kevin.

Feels good to do this stuff on your own and save some money.  You may still want to purchase the motorcycle / ATV lift for future maintenance.  I bought one to do the fork seals on the V11 here a couple of months back.

You are welcome to it if you need, I have a garage down here too.

At home in Maine I have two Handy Lifts and a couple of the Sears ATV lifts but I do a great deal of work on many motorcycles there.

Good job.

I like the tail light on your Jackal...

Best,
Rob

Current:
2004 EV Touring
'99 EV Hack
'76 V1000 'Vert
'80 SP 1000
2013 Harley FLHTC
'75 Triumph T160 Trident
'78 Triumph T140V Bonneville
'78 Yamaha XS 650
'88 Honda Hawk GT
'84 RZ350 KR
'71 Dalesman Trials

A VeeDub and an MGB...

The Journey is the Reward

Offline Semper-guzzi

• Gaggle Mentor
Re:
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2015, 10:44:22 PM »
Thanks gents. Fork oil will be my next task. And possible changing the  brake hoses to SS braided ones.

Anyways, I'm proud of myself. On more than one occasion, a few guys said I would pinch a few tubes. Made it out unscathed.
"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."

oldbike54

« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2015, 11:09:46 PM »
Wow , first tire changes and not one pinched tube , impressive . Just don't get cocky , the next time may result in multiples  ;D

Dusty

Offline Beaver

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2015, 11:56:08 PM »
I take my wheels and a new tire into the local MC shop and have them change the tire for $25.  I don't think I'd be able to easily get the old tire off and the new one on by myself.  Tex recently bought a tire changer, so now I've got to put it together and teach him how to work it!   ;)  He still hasn't changed his tires on his Coca-Cola Root Beer Float bike. 

Beaver
MGNOC TX Rep
Lindale, TX

oldbike54

« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2015, 01:58:24 AM »
I take my wheels and a new tire into the local MC shop and have them change the tire for $25.  I don't think I'd be able to easily get the old tire off and the new one on by myself.  Tex recently bought a tire changer, so now I've got to put it together and teach him how to work it!   ;)  He still hasn't changed his tires on his Coca-Cola Root Beer Float bike. 

Beaver

A bit disappointing that Ken doesn't simply chew the old tires off and scare the new ones on  ::)

Dusty

Offline Sheepdog

• Gaggle Hero
  • 2007 Moto Guzzi California Vintage
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2015, 08:22:16 AM »
I live out in the boonies, so doing my own tire changes is actually more convenient for me. It helps that I have a pretty complete shop and pretty much space...

Another reason for doing your own tire changes is that it prepares you to better deal with flats when they happen in sketchy cell coverage areas.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2015, 08:35:41 AM by Sheepdog »
"Change is inevitable. Growth is optional." John C. Maxwell

Offline Semper-guzzi

• Gaggle Mentor
Re: Re: Pat on my back
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2015, 10:42:27 PM »
I live out in the boonies, so doing my own tire changes is actually more convenient for me. It helps that I have a pretty complete shop and pretty much space...

Another reason for doing your own tire changes is that it prepares you to better deal with flats when they happen in sketchy cell coverage areas.
This was the main reason I wanted to do this. But without a center stand, I most likely won't be patching/changing tubes on the side of the road.

Offline krglorioso

• Gaggle Hero
Re: Re: Pat on my back
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2015, 12:40:25 AM »
This was the main reason I wanted to do this. But without a center stand, I most likely won't be patching/changing tubes on the side of the road.

Jackal rims convert nicely to tubeless.

Ralph
Ralph
"You don't stop riding because you got old; you got old because you stopped riding".

2004 Moto Guzzi Breva 750
2017 Honda CB-500F
2021 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650

Offline Aaron D.

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2015, 06:29:02 AM »
You can also buy a center stand.

Offline mtiberio

• Gaggle Hero
    • TiberioRacing
« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2015, 06:49:30 AM »
I can do it all, but I'm tired of it, and I want to pay soneone to do it for me...
Land Speed Records w/Guzzzi:
SCTA M-PG 1000 141.6 MPH
LTA M-PF 1000 137.3 MPH
ECTA M-PG 1000 118.6 MPH
http://gjm.site90.com/mtiberio

Offline radguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
  • N 44° 01.233 W 069° 41.267 ~ Midcoast, Maine USA
Re:
« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2015, 09:17:28 AM »

Thanks gents. Fork oil will be my next task. And possible changing the  brake hoses to SS braided ones.

You are welcome to use the ATV/Motorcycle lift that I have here when you do the fork oil if you like...  We have outfitted the garage here with most everything you need to do the job.  I recently replaced the fork seals on the '01 V11.

For the very first time ever in changing seals I did not pull the stanchions off, left them in the triples and replaced the fork oil with the measured amount.

Best,
Rob
Current:
2004 EV Touring
'99 EV Hack
'76 V1000 'Vert
'80 SP 1000
2013 Harley FLHTC
'75 Triumph T160 Trident
'78 Triumph T140V Bonneville
'78 Yamaha XS 650
'88 Honda Hawk GT
'84 RZ350 KR
'71 Dalesman Trials

A VeeDub and an MGB...

The Journey is the Reward

Offline Moto Fugazzi

• Gaggle Hero
  • Waiting on a sign from God, or a nod from hell.
    • Griso
« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2015, 07:45:06 PM »
I think you almost saved enough to buy a motorcycle lift. Just think of how much more you'll save after you get one.
Ken
Ken
2004 V11 Cafe Sport
2009 V7C White
2007 Griso Black-Sold
1978 V50 II Blue-Sold

thevin70

« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2015, 08:42:38 PM »
I can do it all, but I'm tired of it, and I want to pay soneone to do it for me...

$25 each at a local indy shop, old tires taken off new ones mounted and balanced, just today

Offline Semper-guzzi

• Gaggle Mentor
Re: Re: Re: Pat on my back
« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2015, 10:45:15 PM »
Jackal rims convert nicely to tubeless.

Ralph
Oh yeah, I know. Trust me, I've been researching that.

Offline johnr

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #20 on: January 09, 2015, 08:08:24 AM »
You can also buy a center stand.

I would be doing that quick smart. The thought of being stranded by something as simple as a puncture gives me the chills, and it's sure to happen sooner or later. (And I don't buy the story about tubeless being better. Tubed ones are certainly easier to change.)
« Last Edit: January 09, 2015, 08:10:38 AM by johnr »
New Zealand
2002 Ev tourer (Stalled again...)

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here