Author Topic: Pikes Peak race canceled  (Read 1893 times)

Online Ncdan

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
Pikes Peak race canceled
« on: July 30, 2019, 07:24:12 AM »
I just read where the famous Pikes Peak motorcycle race has been  canceled this year due to 3 deaths since 2014. One would think it’s generally understood that any form of racing is a dangerous event and could result in death or serious injuries. I guess it’s just the sighs of the time.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2019, 03:21:09 PM by Ncdan »

oldbike54

Re: Pikes Peak race canceled
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2019, 07:44:45 AM »
 What I understand is that since the road was paved all the way to the top , the increased speed and cold pavement at higher elevations have made negotiating the last bit very difficult .

Dusty

Offline Guzzistajohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2019, 08:13:35 AM »
I heard it's because the bighorn sheep were leaving hay clippings on the roadway  :grin: 

« Last Edit: July 30, 2019, 08:18:34 AM by Guzzistajohn »
ебать Россию!   Not anti social-pro solitude

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2019, 08:27:35 AM »
The road is paved and the speeds are high.  Last time I attended the race, the road still had dirt sections and amateurs ran flat track bikes.  Now we have factory backed riders on high powered machines.

The issue is that the road has bumps and ruts that are real hazards to the riders whereas the cars aren't as seriously affected.  I understand the insurance bills are too high until this is resolved. 
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2019, 08:27:35 AM »

Offline Antietam Classic Cycle

• Gaggle Hero
  • Happily stuck in the past.
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
Charlie

Offline molly

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2019, 08:38:26 AM »
Never stopped the Isle of Man TT. They are a self governing island though.
Dave

Lincolnshire, U.K.

Griso 1100

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2019, 09:57:41 AM »

Interesting thought.   Insurance concerns are causing UK and Irish rental companies to not rent cars to too-old or too-young folks, so insurance must be a concern for someone.

Self-governing or not, I wonder how insurance considerations affect the IOM, if at all?   And if they don't , how come they affect Colorado?

Maybe the organizers are just losing money and looking for a reason to quit.   Danger has never seemed to shut down races before ... well, the Mille Miglia comes to mind, though ....

Lannis
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

Offline drawnverybadly

• Hatchling
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2019, 03:10:26 PM »
It's unsustainable to organize an event in the USA where a person dies every other year, some people might even say immoral.

The liability and insurance costs in America make this no way comparable to other meat grinders like Isle of Man.

All that being said, this is being presented as a 3 year study on the economic impact of removing motorcycles from the race so that race organizers can gather data and analytics to review more thoroughly the impact of their absence on the overall event.

Translation: "we want to see how much money we make without the bikes here and then evaluate that against the risk of another fatality, to see if it's worth it to run bikes"

Offline kirb

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2019, 03:19:16 PM »
"If you think it’s too dangerous go home and cut your lawn, and leave us to it.” – Guy Martin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M8X8fi6U7cM

Online Ncdan

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2019, 03:25:02 PM »
"If you think it’s too dangerous go home and cut your lawn, and leave us to it.” – Guy Martin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M8X8fi6U7cM
Now that’s an  ultimatum if I’ve ever heard one👍👍👍😂😂😂😂

oldbike54

« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2019, 03:30:10 PM »

The TT is really just one event in the informal Irish roadracing series , it isn't like the NW 200 or Oliver's Mount aren't dangerous also. The Irish just have a different perspective on this , remember , the TT and the Ulster were at one time part of the GP series , KR pressured the FIM to remove those events from the GP championship .

Dusty

Offline tris

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2019, 07:24:16 AM »
The TT is really just one event in the informal Irish roadracing series , it isn't like the NW 200 or Oliver's Mount aren't dangerous also. The Irish just have a different perspective on this , remember , the TT and the Ulster were at one time part of the GP series , KR pressured the FIM to remove those events from the GP championship .

Dusty

There was no racing at Olivers Mount for the past 2 years due to it being "too dangerous for riders AND spectators"
They appear to have fixed that now it with some blue and white kerbing at the inside of the corners, ply wood on the rail and post fences and a bit of protection where the tree stumps impose too much on the track :rolleyes:

I find that the place gave me the heebe geebies first time I went on the back straight which is about 10 foot wide with a hump and a curve that they take flat out with the spectators on the outside of the curve.

It occurred to me that a move to a point where there was a substantial tree between us was a good idea!

Sadly the racing this weekend on the return to the Mount for the Barry Sheene Classic was cancelled on the second day due to low cloud!
2017 V9 Roamer
2005 Breva 1100 (non ABS) "Bruno" - now sold
1995 Cali 1100 - carby   "Dino" -now sold
1993 TW125 "POS" - Resting

Offline molly

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2019, 07:43:16 AM »

Dusty
The Irish attitude to road racing seems to be 'if shit happens so be it'.  Look at the Dunlop family who have lost three family members to the sport and still continue to race.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2019, 03:50:28 AM by molly »
Dave

Lincolnshire, U.K.

Griso 1100

Offline kirb

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2019, 03:21:13 PM »
The Irish attitude to road racing seems to be 'if shit happens so be it'.  Look at the Dunlop family wo have lost three family members to the sport and still continue to race.

The Irish attitude to everything- cliffs of moher, 600' straight down to the ocean. A small sign says 'danger, cliffs edge'. No railing, no other warning. As it should be.

Offline slopokes

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2019, 03:26:43 PM »
In America the lawyers would that🍀💸🍀

Rough Edge racing

« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2019, 04:05:09 PM »
The Irish attitude to road racing seems to be 'if shit happens so be it'.  Look at the Dunlop family wo have lost three family members to the sport and still continue to race.

Yup, like an Irish wake, a tribute to life and death..

Offline hauto

• Gosling
« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2019, 09:16:32 AM »
simply too many lawyers and liability water hole is getting smaller. Insurance companies are getting more and more pro active and the avenues for law suits smaller.I watch the noon news and it's nothing but law firms advertising. Lawyers are bottom feeding dirt bags.

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2019, 09:38:19 AM »
So "dirtbag" lawyers are the blame but unnecessary and dangerous hazards should remain?

I don't agree with the either/or conclusion and can't blame the lawyers or a snowflake like me for pointing out the truth.  There's no shame in advocating safety nor praise for supporting the indefensible.   I'd like to see Pikes Peak reinstated but I see nothing wrong making it safer.  And feel the same for the TT.

IIRC it was Kenny Roberts that said bullshit to racing hazards and stood up for safety.  Just like Jackie Stewart did 10 years earlier.  Now top line racing is safer and better than ever.  I don't want to live Death Race 2000 or Roller Ball.  I want to see competition and skill.   I can leave needless death and destruction for the kids playing video games and superhero movies.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2019, 09:38:49 AM by LowRyter »
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here