Author Topic: Be careful out there.  (Read 1740 times)

Online Gliderjohn

• Gaggle Hero
Re: Be careful out there.
« Reply #30 on: May 16, 2023, 10:40:53 PM »
From TWA:
When following people through the curves I am always amazed at how much more they can lean before hard parts touch, compared with how far I think I am leaning.  Pushing the bike deeper into the curve when needed should be our go to reaction, and I know it wasn't my first reaction for a long time.

Hoping for no long term issues with you or the bike.

Good point and very true. It is amazing how quick the brain works in these situations even old ones. As I remember thus curve was all of a sudden right in my face with no time to set up at all. Said curve if I had slid out at the apex would have put me through a fairly deep sided ditch and an immediate barb wire fence. Directly in front of me was the straight gravel access road and took that choice. In retrospect if I would have immediately let up on the brakes I would have had room to get stopped anyway, just didn't get it done. No excuses as in most airplane crashes it was not just one thing but a chain of events, all of which could have been avoided. Hell of a bell ringing but an effective wake up call.
GliderJohn
John Peters
East Mountains, NM

Offline redrider90

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #31 on: May 16, 2023, 11:17:37 PM »
Sorry to hear about this John.  I was in the same predicament a couple years ago.  A split second of inattention and I was a bit wide in a tight curve.  Would've been recoverable except for fresh pea gravel that collected on the outside of the curve.  Pretty much the same as you after that.  My riding buddy that was behind me still makes fun of that get off just to make sure I never forget.   :azn:

I did the exact same thing as Dave just described. I took my eye off the road for just a second and got distracted. I would have made it through the curve if not for the pile of gravel that collects where a T road meets right in a curve. I thought when my helmet hit the ground real hard on the low side I said well I guess my head is ok. Leathers all around and a trip to the ER to get neck x-rays and a very sore body. I didn't clean the scratches off the valve cover for a couple of years to remind myself how stupid I was.
Red 90 Mille GT

Online SIR REAL ED

• Gaggle Hero
  • uh.... it's personal....
« Reply #32 on: May 17, 2023, 06:38:49 AM »
I didn't clean the scratches off the valve cover for a couple of years to remind myself how stupid I was.

That is an excellent safety tip!

Nothing like a visual, in-your-face reminder of how quickly life can go the wrong way.

My nephew who is a professional carpenter almost lost 4 fingers when he got distracted using a circular saw.  Ever since I heard the stories of multiple operations and saw the pictures, I think about him every time I use a power saw.

I suspect he is the safest person out there when using a saw now.
"If reading shite on the internet will trigger your head exploding, please wrap your head in Gorilla tape before logging on.  Thanks!!!"

2019 Beta EVO 250
1999 Suzuki DR 650 w/790cc kit
1994, 2001, & 2002 MZ Skorpions
1992 YAMAHA TDM850

Offline inditx

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #33 on: May 17, 2023, 07:59:59 AM »
Glad you’re ok.
Heal well.
inditx
inditx

This is the day.....

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #33 on: May 17, 2023, 07:59:59 AM »

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #34 on: May 18, 2023, 12:02:04 PM »
After wrestling that Guzzi,  a mountain lion should be no trouble. 
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #35 on: May 18, 2023, 04:32:35 PM »
Thanks all for the supportive comments. Back home and have had a dip in the hot tub and some liquid pain killers. T-3 may have to stay in the back of the truck for a few days until my left hand can deal better with the clutch.
GliderJohn
Jeeez, lucky it wasn’t your right hand..! :wink:

Online Gliderjohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #36 on: May 18, 2023, 08:44:04 PM »
From Huzo:
Jeeez, lucky it wasn’t your right hand..! :wink:
But, but, but I am left handed.
GliderJohn
John Peters
East Mountains, NM

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #37 on: May 19, 2023, 08:33:46 AM »
cue Hill Street Blues (you knew it was coming John)

John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #38 on: May 19, 2023, 03:59:52 PM »
From Huzo:But, but, but I am left handed.
GliderJohn
Some photographic proof would be good… :grin:

Online lazlokovacs

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #39 on: May 19, 2023, 04:34:01 PM »
Here too, glad you are OK. One reason there are no gadgets on my bikes, no music either. I tell my wife if she needs music whistle.

a massive +1 on this concept

glad to hear you're ok!!!!

Online Gliderjohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #40 on: May 20, 2023, 05:40:04 PM »
Shout out thanks to Matt Forslund (NM state rep) for bailing me out by providing me with the turn signal unit I needed. His parts inventory for older Guzzis is very impressive.
GliderJohn
« Last Edit: May 20, 2023, 08:35:05 PM by Gliderjohn »
John Peters
East Mountains, NM

Offline John Croucher

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #41 on: May 20, 2023, 05:43:12 PM »
Wife and I did a short ride.  I am mostly a solo rider and the wife has little seat time.  (lessons learned).

I did a very low speed U turn.  She leaned hard into the turn at a very low speed, maybe 1 mph. The bike went over. I tried to hold the bike up with her weight on the seat while coming to a stop.  We were not moving by the time my strength gave out. Bars locked full left, bike landed on head guard.  No damage. Then came the worst part, picking the bike up. I told her to grab the seat grab bar and lift while I pulled up on the bars.  She said that the ride was fun.

Offline SmithSwede

• Gaggle Hero
  • I don't want a pickle
« Reply #42 on: May 23, 2023, 12:05:53 AM »
Holy Cow John.  I just now saw this.   Glad you are ok. 

I recommended fermented barley muscle relaxant.   And meditation.
Accentuate the positive;
Eliminate the negative;
Latch on to the affirmative;
Don't mess with Mister In-Between.

Online Gliderjohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #43 on: May 23, 2023, 09:10:48 PM »
What the right side of my body would have looked like except with blood if I had not been geared up.

GliderJohn
John Peters
East Mountains, NM

Online Gliderjohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #44 on: May 29, 2023, 04:50:32 PM »
Have the damaged pieces off and they will go to the body shop next week. Been a long time since I have seen her naked. Looks good either way.

GliderJohn
John Peters
East Mountains, NM

Online Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #45 on: June 01, 2023, 05:32:01 PM »
No excuses as in most airplane crashes it was not just one thing but a chain of events, all of which could have been avoided.

I was at the National antique airplane fly in a few years ago when I saw a Great Lakes that had obviously been on it's back in a hanger. There was an old fart..probably my age..  :smiley: walking around it. I said, "Woah, what happened here?" He just looked at me, smiled, and said, "Well, just one thing after another, I guess.."  :smiley:  So true.
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Online Gliderjohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #46 on: June 08, 2023, 05:30:46 PM »
My damages pieces back from the body shop today. Still waiting for the wind screen.

GliderJohn
John Peters
East Mountains, NM

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here