Author Topic: Front brake squeaking??  (Read 613 times)

Offline CanonVanagon

• New Egg
Front brake squeaking??
« on: December 12, 2022, 01:59:48 PM »
Yesterday while riding I noticed on my 22 V7 with 100 miles that I have a squeak when I'm coming to a stop with no brakes applied. Today with the engine off and the bike in neutral I rolled the bike forward and back. It would squeak at the front wheel. Has anyone else had this issue? Do the brakes need to be broken in more? It’s not a constant squeak it’s more of a rhythm. Seems weird that they would squeak without pulling the lever. Maybe wheel bearing?

Thanks
22 V7 Stone

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
Re: Front brake squeaking??
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2022, 02:57:34 PM »
If your caliper piston is a single moving one, then your caliper will slide on two pins.
These pins are to allow the caliper to move sideways as the hydraulic piston is moved when you operate the lever.
If they are dry and look like this

Then your caliper will not allow the fixed pad to release from it’s applied position.
Take it apart, clean and lightly grease with high temperature grease and re install.
Also.
Of your pad/s are squeaking, it’s usually contaminant on the pad surface. Remove the pads and give them a bit of a scuff with a wire brush.
In addition clean the disc with brake cleaner, methylated spirits or similar. Not petrol or kerosene…!

Offline guzziart

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2022, 03:29:36 PM »
If I had a motorcycle that had a sqeak that I couldn't confirm whether it was brake or wheel bearing related and I didn't know which end of a hammer to use and that bike had existing warranty, I would probably return it to the dealer for diagnosis and possible warranty repair.  Didn't you buy a new bike so you could ride it and not worry about performing your own repairs on it this early in the game????

Good luck and congrats on your new bike,

Art
'71 CB350, '72 Eldo, '72 CL350, '81 CB125s, '87 LMIVSE, '91 CT70, '03 V11 Lemans, '08 Wing  ('12 Wee Strom - R.I.P.)

Offline guzzisteve

• Gaggle Hero
  • "Just Ride It"
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2022, 06:10:48 PM »
+1    If it's new it could be an issue. Make an appointment to have the dealer tech ride it. They do a PDI before it goes out on what was checked. Could just be dirt on pads, I wouldn't think a wheel bearing on a new unit.
"Pray through Carlo & your bike shall be healed"

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2022, 06:10:48 PM »

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2022, 03:06:40 AM »
If I had a motorcycle that had a sqeak that I couldn't confirm whether it was brake or wheel bearing related and I didn't know which end of a hammer to use and that bike had existing warranty, I would probably return it to the dealer for diagnosis and possible warranty repair.  Didn't you buy a new bike so you could ride it and not worry about performing your own repairs on it this early in the game????

Good luck and congrats on your new bike,

Art
Just remove the caliper and ride it down the road.
If the noise goes away, it’s the caliper.

Offline guzziart

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2022, 04:31:29 AM »
Just remove the caliper and ride it down the road.
If the noise goes away, it’s the caliper.

If the noise doesn't go away, then remove the front wheel and ride it down the road to see if the noise goes away. :laugh:
'71 CB350, '72 Eldo, '72 CL350, '81 CB125s, '87 LMIVSE, '91 CT70, '03 V11 Lemans, '08 Wing  ('12 Wee Strom - R.I.P.)

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2022, 04:37:35 AM »
If the noise doesn't go away, then remove the front wheel and ride it down the road to see if the noise goes away. :laugh:
No.
If the noise doesn’t go away, it’s not the caliper.

Offline guzziart

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2022, 05:38:48 AM »
No.
If the noise doesn’t go away, it’s not the caliper.

And then take it to the dealer for warranty ????

Online Moparnut72

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2022, 08:26:39 AM »
If I read the original post correctly t is a brand new bike with a hundred miles on it. Ride it some more with some firm brake applications. My new Triumph did the same thing until the pads got bedded in.
kk
Mopar or Nocar
2023 V100 Marina
2019 V7lll Special
MGNOC #24053
Amiga computer shop owner: "Americans are great consumers but terrible shoppers".

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2022, 09:36:42 AM »
And then take it to the dealer for warranty ????
Yeah and wait 3 weeks before they look at it.
You learn nothing and don’t get the enjoyment from sorting it.

But if that’s the way it must be.

Offline Stretch

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2022, 09:49:59 AM »
If I read the original post correctly t is a brand new bike with a hundred miles on it. Ride it some more with some firm brake applications. My new Triumph did the same thing until the pads got bedded in.
kk

Yep.  Take it out and ride it a little bit. Progressively firmer brake applications at progressively higher
speeds to allow the pads to bed in. Go for a ride, use the brakes a bit, come home and let 'em cool.
Repeat with higher speeds and harder brake applications a couple of times.

-Stretch
1967? Change Jiang M1M
1978 Yamaha SR500
1987 BMW K75S
2011 Kawasaki KLR650
2011 Triumph Rocket III Touring
2015 Triumph Trophy
2017 Moto Guzzi 1400 California Touring

Online normzone

• Gaggle Hero
  • '72 Eldo - 1980 to 1990 - '99 Bassa 2014 - 2023
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2022, 11:40:17 AM »

'72 CL 350? That was my first bike, I still have the muscle memory from it, loved that machine.

Yeah, he won't be able to hear that noise any more then ...  :wink:
That's the combustion chamber of the turbo shaft. It is supposed to be on fire. You just don't usually see it but the case and fairing fell off.

Offline Speciality

• New Egg
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2022, 03:20:51 PM »
Maybe there’s a mouse trapped between the mudguard and tyre (tire)? Take it to the dealer and ask them to check…..

Offline guzziart

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2022, 04:19:16 PM »
'72 CL 350? That was my first bike, I still have the muscle memory from it, loved that machine.

Yeah, I love it, it's hoot to ride!

Maybe there’s a mouse trapped between the mudguard and tyre (tire)? Take it to the dealer and ask them to check…..

In that case... animal control folks, pet store or exterminator??!!

kk

+1  reasonable, low effort & non-destructive.

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here