Author Topic: V85 TT Merged Threadfest  (Read 361202 times)

Offline Kitze

• New Egg
Re: V85 TT Merged Threadfest
« Reply #2430 on: May 25, 2020, 04:24:53 PM »
I am new here, I have a triumph tiger 800 XrT that I plan to trade towards a V85 TT.
I looked here, but could not find a definitive answer to the question of a center stand on the TT.  Can anyone answer that for US models?
Also, will either of the sidecases take a full face helmet?
Lastly, does MG offer a factory anti-theft immobilizer system?
Thanks....hope to be riding a new V85 TT sometime in June!
center stand is an option.
The top case will fit a helmet gloves and a few small items at the same time. Side case won’t take a full face. Not sure about a half face. But doubt it’ll fit in the side cases either.
I believe there is an alarm available. Has standard coded Keyes with imobilizer.
V85TT, SV650

Offline Marquezdl

• New Egg
« Reply #2431 on: May 26, 2020, 01:55:59 PM »
Thanks.  I am confused though.  The nearest dealer stated the exhaust side pannier will not hold a helmet, but the other side would take a full face.
What grade of fuel y’all running?

Offline Vagrant

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2432 on: May 26, 2020, 02:06:41 PM »
Thanks.  I am confused though.  The nearest dealer stated the exhaust side pannier will not hold a helmet, but the other side would take a full face.

not even a flip face in the side case. once you step up from regular you might as well run premium or 1/2 & 1/2 if your really cheap.
HE IS FREE WHO LIVES AS HE CHOOSES
2016 V7II, 2017 V7-III Blue special, 2022 V85 the fast red one! 2016 650 Versys
L-196, L-197

Offline rtbickel

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #2433 on: May 26, 2020, 02:09:56 PM »
Just went out and checked - the larger pannier will not hold either a full or open face helmet. The top case will hold a full face, but not much else.
2020 V85TT
2002 California Special Sport - The Black Widow
2014 California Touring - Stealth (Gone but not forgotten)

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #2433 on: May 26, 2020, 02:09:56 PM »

Offline Jayell

• New Egg
« Reply #2434 on: May 26, 2020, 02:30:24 PM »

I'm certain the right side Urban case (the plastic ones) will fit a full face helmet.

Guzzi calls for 95 RON fuel. That's about 91 AKI in Canada and the USA.

Offline Marquezdl

• New Egg
« Reply #2435 on: May 26, 2020, 02:36:52 PM »
So the plastic cases and premium.
Any of you here actually riding around on the TT Travel as of now?

Offline Kitze

• New Egg
« Reply #2436 on: May 26, 2020, 02:49:11 PM »
Is the Travel version even out yet?
To the best of my knowledge the plastic cases aren’t available in the US. They’re called Urban cases in Europe I believe.
V85TT, SV650

Offline Vagrant

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2437 on: May 26, 2020, 03:13:23 PM »
the Charlotte dealer had about 4 travels on the floor 2-3 weeks ago. didn't look close but I think that bags narrower.
L-196, L-197

Online Moparnut72

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2438 on: May 26, 2020, 03:13:52 PM »
Yes. Elk Grove Power Sports has one in stock.
kk
Mopar or Nocar
2023 V100 Marina
2019 V7lll Special
MGNOC #24053
Amiga computer shop owner: "Americans are great consumers but terrible shoppers".

Offline Kitze

• New Egg
« Reply #2439 on: May 26, 2020, 04:55:37 PM »
Yes. Elk Grove Power Sports has one in stock.
kk
Well shoot. See what happens when ya don’t leave the house for two months! Glad Elk Grove is back in the fold. Last year they told me they weren't sure.
V85TT, SV650

Online blu guzz

• Gaggle Hero
  • Loves to ride
« Reply #2440 on: May 26, 2020, 05:31:15 PM »
i want to post something for tt owners to be careful of.  the metal that the ignition key is made of is pretty soft.  i have managed to bend one of my 2 keys enough that i would hesitate to use it lest it break off.  don't test it out to see but take my word for it and treat it gently.  for an otherwise superb bike, this is a lousy shortcoming.  i think the keys are chipped, must come from the old world and are expensive.
Blue Guzz

Offline Zinfan

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #2441 on: May 26, 2020, 06:36:22 PM »
i want to post something for tt owners to be careful of.  the metal that the ignition key is made of is pretty soft.  i have managed to bend one of my 2 keys enough that i would hesitate to use it lest it break off.  don't test it out to see but take my word for it and treat it gently.  for an otherwise superb bike, this is a lousy shortcoming.  i think the keys are chipped, must come from the old world and are expensive.

Can confirm, bent my key without even trying so now it is my backup and I think I'll order another spare if I can get it coded to the bike.

Online skippy

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #2442 on: May 27, 2020, 09:15:33 AM »
Can confirm, bent my key without even trying so now it is my backup and I think I'll order another spare if I can get it coded to the bike.

With the key in the ignition there is very little clearance between handle bars and the key. And with the leverage available with the bars it takes no effort to bend a key. The short story is you don't want anything extra on your key ring. Mine is nothing more than the bike key, the saddle bag key and a ring to join them. Anything more and you run the risk of bending it under the weight of the bars.

Skippy
23 V100 Mandello
20 V85TT

Online blu guzz

• Gaggle Hero
  • Loves to ride
« Reply #2443 on: May 27, 2020, 11:15:00 AM »
my bent key came either putting on or taking off the side cases,  it is also very tight in there too.
Blue Guzz

Offline Zinfan

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #2444 on: May 27, 2020, 10:03:58 PM »
my bent key came either putting on or taking off the side cases,  it is also very tight in there too.

And again that is what happened to mine, it got caught between the case and rack and bent.

elvisboy77

« Reply #2445 on: May 27, 2020, 10:17:48 PM »
So the plastic cases and premium.
Any of you here actually riding around on the TT Travel as of now?

I have the travel, I have read that a helmet will fit the right hand side.  I can go check if you want.

It is a GREAT bike!

And yes, high test gas for sure, that is what the manual says.

elvisboy77

« Reply #2446 on: May 27, 2020, 10:19:18 PM »
So, a few posts on page 78 or 79, can't remember exactly, I mentioned some issues with my clutch and how 'weak' it seems, especially off-road.

Yesterday, I was teaching giving my younger brother some beginner classes on bike riding, and the clutch started making this HORRIBLE sound immediately after cranking the engine, while idle.

I would just like to mention that up to this point, my younger brother did not crank the engine, so he has not touched the clutch at that point, so he didn't do anything.

I don't know if you can hear the sound of the clutch, maybe with earphones / headphones it might be clearer.

What do you think it is? Shot bearing?

I have spoken to my dealer previously about the clutch and how there is something wrong with it but I just can't place my finger on it. They have taken a few test rides on it, but obviously they don't ride the bike as much as I do and so they will never experience what I experience on a daily basis.

Here are the links to the 2 clips I took of the sound:

https://youtu.be/ttyoJwN2JlI

https://youtu.be/dTSIST_9080

The second one definitely sounds like an exhaust shield or maybe even a bash plate vibrating.  I would take a rubber mallet or similar, or a stick of wood and push against those bash plates, see if the noise stops.  Be careful of the heat.

elvisboy77

« Reply #2447 on: May 28, 2020, 12:17:08 PM »

I have the travel, I have read that a helmet will fit the right hand side.  I can go check if you want.

It is a GREAT bike!

And yes, high test gas for sure, that is what the manual says.

Looks like the helmet (shoei as pictured) fits in the RH bag just fine!  2020 V85TT Travel stock model
« Last Edit: May 28, 2020, 12:18:16 PM by elvisboy77 »

Offline Marquezdl

• New Egg
« Reply #2448 on: May 28, 2020, 01:46:43 PM »

Looks like the helmet (shoei as pictured) fits in the RH bag just fine!  2020 V85TT Travel stock model

Beautiful...enjoy!  Thanks for the pics and reply!

Online jrt

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2449 on: May 28, 2020, 01:53:11 PM »
Question about the LED shift indicator lights on the dash-
I am just finishing the break in (1000mi) and the lights were a gentle reminder not to rev it too high.  Are they set that low from the factory for break in reasons or because they are encouraging shifting at lower rpm (better mileage?).  Anyhow, now I am going to find them annoying if I run the revs up.  I know I can change the limit-  just curious about the rational on where they are set from the factory.
L-720
1973 Eldorado
2003 Yardbird (1100 hydro)
2020 R1250RS

Offline Bisbonian

• Gaggle Hero
  • Living the Dream
« Reply #2450 on: May 28, 2020, 02:06:51 PM »
Question about the LED shift indicator lights on the dash-
I am just finishing the break in (1000mi) and the lights were a gentle reminder not to rev it too high.  Are they set that low from the factory for break in reasons or because they are encouraging shifting at lower rpm (better mileage?).  Anyhow, now I am going to find them annoying if I run the revs up.  I know I can change the limit-  just curious about the rational on where they are set from the factory.

You can change where these lights come on in the dash menu.
I don't remember the procedure, but it is definitely in the owners manual.

Online skippy

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #2451 on: May 28, 2020, 02:07:32 PM »
Go ahead and adjust them to the max. They were set low from the factory as a gentle reminder to keep the revs low during run in.
23 V100 Mandello
20 V85TT

Offline Kiwi Dave

• Gaggle Hero
    • Guzzi Gander Ltd
« Reply #2452 on: May 28, 2020, 03:34:38 PM »
I did the opposite.  I lowered the rev point slightly so they start to display when I am 10 kM over the speed limit here.  As I go faster, the colours change from orange to red, and then start flashing when I hit 140 kM (on a closed road, of course  :police: :cry:).

It's so easy to go faster on this bike without noticing it.  I'm planning to keep my licence.

Online jrt

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2453 on: May 28, 2020, 06:40:06 PM »
Thanks- that's what I thought.

Dave...I live in Missouri for better or worse.  Around here- and I promise that I am not making this up- if I get a ticket for speeding, I can hire a lawyer to get the charge reduced to a parking fine.  There is an entire business built around this.
L-720
1973 Eldorado
2003 Yardbird (1100 hydro)
2020 R1250RS

Online blu guzz

• Gaggle Hero
  • Loves to ride
« Reply #2454 on: May 29, 2020, 08:51:35 AM »
Back to the subject of bent keys.  This morning, I did it again to my good key.  I was able to very carefully bend it back with a pipe wrench.  I called Enzo and he confirmed that locking those side cases has caused a few bent keys.  Then I got the shock of my life when he told me that 2 chipped replacement keys were >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>.wait for it}}}}}}}}}}}}}not $200, not $150, but $55.00.  Now, they come blank and unprogrammed so you take them to the key cutter and then use the 5 digit code to program them yourself.  It is so inexpensive and so reasonable, it can't be Guzzi.
Blue Guzz

Offline Jayell

• New Egg
« Reply #2455 on: May 30, 2020, 10:50:35 PM »
Now, they come blank and unprogrammed so you take them to the key cutter and then use the 5 digit code to program them yourself.

Five digit key code? Are you referring to the metal tag that originally comes with the keys? Mine is only four digits.

And how, specifically please, does one program the replacement key(s)?

Offline Kiwi Dave

• Gaggle Hero
    • Guzzi Gander Ltd
« Reply #2456 on: May 31, 2020, 02:11:43 AM »
No, they are talking about the user code, which is originally set to 5 zeros.  If you are not the original owner, you should ask the previous owner for the user code (or perhaps your dealer entered one for you).

Detailed instructions on programming the replacement keys is covered in the workshop manual, specifically starts on page 62.

Offline Jayell

• New Egg
« Reply #2457 on: May 31, 2020, 03:11:57 AM »
No, they are talking about the user code, which is originally set to 5 zeros.  If you are not the original owner, you should ask the previous owner for the user code (or perhaps your dealer entered one for you).

Detailed instructions on programming the replacement keys is covered in the workshop manual, specifically starts on page 62.

Okay, I get it. Thanks.

However, according to the service manual, one cannot program new keys without the Guzzi diagnostic tool.

"To carry out the one or more key programming procedures, up to a maximum of four, you must connect the motorcycle to the diagnostic tool."

Online blu guzz

• Gaggle Hero
  • Loves to ride
« Reply #2458 on: May 31, 2020, 07:01:11 AM »
Perfect weather in my region yesterday (and today too) great ride on the V85 yesterday in the northern kentucky area of some very twisty roads.  had my bike, a v7 III, gold wing, intercepter, big 4 cyl kawi road bike - not sure which model, a honda nc700, 5 speed, and finally a scorpion f3.  strange looking crew, but great riding ending with great bar-b-que. 
Blue Guzz

Offline Vagrant

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2459 on: May 31, 2020, 07:46:52 AM »
the side cases use a seperate key so how does the ignition key get bent on them.
L-196, L-197

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here