Author Topic: V85 TT Merged Threadfest  (Read 357028 times)

Offline jacksonracingcomau

• Gaggle Hero
Re: V85 TT Merged Threadfest
« Reply #2490 on: June 12, 2020, 06:19:09 AM »
About 45 kg as an estimate..
No different than a 12 year old pillion.

Oh..and the Ohlins..?
Ummm....YES..!
Do you mean “to a 12 year old pinion”?
Try putting your full bags and fitting paraphernalia on a see saw, 12 year old will fly
Or just do mpg test with and without , actual holding bays (boxes)
Aerodynamics ? ‘‘tis another question, only tested with 12 year old passenger , no baggage

Offline janguzzi

• Gosling
    • My YouTube Channel (Guzzi Content)
« Reply #2491 on: June 19, 2020, 07:42:01 AM »
I was curious  ... so I took the chance to make a test ride at my dealer yesterday.
Man this is a great bike, I did not expect this.
The engine has enough power for such kind of bike.
The engine and the gear box work super smoothly and even if it is simple the chassis is extremely efficient.

My dealer (https://www.clauscarstens-racing.de) told me that he was also very skeptical about it at the beginning.
He feared that it was a similar lame duck as e.g. the V9 Bobber.
But even if the motor looks similar it is a completely different engine.

Unfortunately my dealer gave up his Guzzi dealership after decades because of the poor Guzzi portfolio.
He is also the biggest Ducati dealer here in northern Germany and this was not an easy step for him
because he is also is a fan of the Guzzi brand like it was in the past.
The current California models and the small Guzzis models simply do not sell up here.
But after testing the V85TT he decided to sell those...and it works.
He already sold 11 this year which is a lot for a Guzzi model.
They are selling like hot cakes and do not even reach the showroom.
While I was riding the red one another one arrived - already sold.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2020, 07:46:23 AM by janguzzi »
Kind Regards
Jan, Schuby (near the Danish Border), Germany
www.janguzzi.de
-1992-2002: 1000S, 2nd Series
-2002-2004: V11 Le Mans "Grigio Titanium"
-2004-2011: V11 Le Mans "Rosso Corsa" & 2008-2011: 950S
-2018-2021: California Vintage
-2011: Griso 8V & 2023: V85 TT "Giallo Mojave"

Offline steven c

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2492 on: June 19, 2020, 10:25:16 AM »
2020 V85TT Traveler
74 949 Eldorado

75 Benelli 250
2006 Buell Ulysses
78 Honda XL125

MGNOC 6412

Offline DesmoDog

• New Egg
« Reply #2493 on: June 20, 2020, 03:17:08 PM »
I'm in! Decided I didn't want to deal with any more of the general public trying to sell my Ducati so I bit the bullet and traded it in this morning.

My first Guzzi. Actually, as far as new bikes it's my first non-Ducati ever. Aside from my Aprilia track bike all I've owned or ridden the past 25 years has been built in Bologna... the Monster 1200S I traded was a fantastic bike so the Guzzi has some pretty big shoes to fill! Well, it's more like switching to hiking boots I suppose...

-Craig

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #2493 on: June 20, 2020, 03:17:08 PM »

Offline jrt

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #2494 on: June 20, 2020, 03:55:34 PM »
It will be different, that's for sure.  I had a Multi 1200s that I have been riding the last couple of years.   The Guzzi doesn't have quite the urgency that the Ducati has, that's for sure.  It is a very pleasant bike to ride- I enjoy riding it at a more leisurely pace, which is a good thing. 
I really like the way the V85 handles-  It wants to leeaaaaaaan right over.  I've about 1300 miles and I've worn off the injection spikes on the tires all the way to the edge.  Those tires have very good grip-  but fair warning- they are loud.
L-720
1973 Eldorado
2003 Yardbird (1100 hydro)
2020 R1250RS

Offline DesmoDog

• New Egg
« Reply #2495 on: June 20, 2020, 07:05:33 PM »

I really like the way the V85 handles-  It wants to leeaaaaaaan right over.  I've about 1300 miles and I've worn off the injection spikes on the tires all the way to the edge.  Those tires have very good grip-  but fair warning- they are loud.

I had read that they made noise so I was ready for it, but I was still surprised when I heard it! Wasn't expecting it to be that loud. I suppose it might annoy some people but I thought it was/is funny.
-Craig

Offline moho66

• New Egg
« Reply #2496 on: June 20, 2020, 07:23:29 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xX8gYCNAB10&feature=youtu.be

My Very amateur review of the Hepco and Becker Headlight grill

Offline Bpreynolds2

• Gosling
« Reply #2497 on: June 30, 2020, 02:09:16 PM »
Stupid question here that will only get me likely flamed :embarassed:
All reports say the bike handles on tarmac quite well; yet, has street biased rider here considered or even mounted a 17” wheel on the front?
2020 T120 Bonneville

Offline blu guzz

• Gaggle Hero
  • Loves to ride
« Reply #2498 on: June 30, 2020, 03:28:24 PM »
If anyone puts a 17 on the front, I want to see a picture.
Blue Guzz

Offline Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2499 on: June 30, 2020, 05:03:54 PM »
All reports say the bike handles on tarmac quite well; yet, has street biased rider here considered or even mounted a 17” wheel on the front?
I wouldn’t flame you for suggesting it, but why would that be seen as a good move ?
I guess the 1” reduction in height at the front COULD be seen as a good move if you could get the rear down as well, but there would be repercussions.
Also the TC and ABS might throw a wobbly...(but probably ok if re calibrated)
« Last Edit: June 30, 2020, 05:07:20 PM by Huzo »

Offline Kiwi Dave

• Gaggle Hero
    • Guzzi Gander Ltd
« Reply #2500 on: July 01, 2020, 03:51:56 PM »

Slipping the forks through the triple tree achieves roughly the same thing at not cost.  I'm left wondering if there's any noticeable difference (not that I've tried it).

Offline Faisal

• New Egg
« Reply #2501 on: July 07, 2020, 12:24:38 PM »
So, a few posts on page 78 or 79, can't remember exactly, I mentioned some issues with my clutch and how 'weak' it seems, especially off-road.

Yesterday, I was teaching giving my younger brother some beginner classes on bike riding, and the clutch started making this HORRIBLE sound immediately after cranking the engine, while idle.

I would just like to mention that up to this point, my younger brother did not crank the engine, so he has not touched the clutch at that point, so he didn't do anything.

I don't know if you can hear the sound of the clutch, maybe with earphones / headphones it might be clearer.

What do you think it is? Shot bearing?

I have spoken to my dealer previously about the clutch and how there is something wrong with it but I just can't place my finger on it. They have taken a few test rides on it, but obviously they don't ride the bike as much as I do and so they will never experience what I experience on a daily basis.

Here are the links to the 2 clips I took of the sound:

https://youtu.be/ttyoJwN2JlI

https://youtu.be/dTSIST_9080

So, I have an update for those that are interested.

First of all, I've seen a slight increase in complaints around several forums of the V85TT clutch, which might not mean much or it could be just a coincidence. Nevertheless, here are the results.

After several weeks of waiting with the whole pandemic thing, my bike was finally admitted for surgery this week, and here are the findings:

According to the mechanics at my dealership, they said these markings are "uneven and abnormal", and it seems as though the clutch plate is not being pushed properly therefore the contact is improper or misaligned.

And this makes me wonder if there was a bad batch of pressure plates or clutches in general that were installed on some V85s, or could this just be an individual thing... Also, does the flywheel and clutch plate look bad? I don't know how some things should or should not look like. I mean visually to anyone, even those that have no mechanical inclination whatsoever, this looks wrong, but mechanically, would it perform bad just because it looks bad?

Offline CJ

• New Egg
« Reply #2502 on: August 02, 2020, 03:59:03 PM »
It will be different, that's for sure.  I had a Multi 1200s that I have been riding the last couple of years.   The Guzzi doesn't have quite the urgency that the Ducati has, that's for sure.  It is a very pleasant bike to ride- I enjoy riding it at a more leisurely pace, which is a good thing. 

How well would you say the V85 would hold up to Highway speeds with a 260 pound rider + gear.  The closest HWY to me is 80mph and its necessary to keep up with that speed to be safe at some times of the day.   My Cali 1100 eats those miles up with no issues, but I’m worried that the V85 might be strained.

Offline smdl

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2503 on: August 02, 2020, 04:12:41 PM »
How well would you say the V85 would hold up to Highway speeds with a 260 pound rider + gear.  The closest HWY to me is 80mph and its necessary to keep up with that speed to be safe at some times of the day.   My Cali 1100 eats those miles up with no issues, but I’m worried that the V85 might be strained.

I can tell you exactly how well it can do that. 😉  No trouble at all on keeping up, passing, etc., although it might be different story with a passenger and a heavy load, which I have not tried.  The only time that the V85 has felt a little winded, in my experience, was when literally climbing a mountain at high speeds.  Then, there were a few times where I had the throttle wide open, and felt I could have benefited from more power (but didn't really *need* it).  I'd recommend giving one a try, as my first test ride immediately dispelled any concerns that I had.  It's not a rocket, but it feels strong, and is deceptively quick.

Cheers,
Shaun

« Last Edit: August 02, 2020, 04:13:46 PM by smdl »
'74 Eldorado Civilian
'17 V7 III Stone
'21 Aprilia Tuono 660
'22 V85TT Guardia D'Onore
'22 V85TT Guardia D'Onore (Yep, two)

Offline Vagrant

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2504 on: August 03, 2020, 07:43:51 AM »
Surely u jest! V85 has more power and less weight and will still go faster at a honest 90 if asked while getting 50% better gas mileage
HE IS FREE WHO LIVES AS HE CHOOSES
2016 V7II, 2017 V7-III Blue special, 2022 V85 the fast red one! 2016 650 Versys
L-196, L-197

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2505 on: August 03, 2020, 08:33:51 AM »
Just a note about one local bike. 

Russ was the OK MGNOC rep here.  He purchased one of the first V85 bikes delivered.  He posted some of his experience here and mentioned that Don from the local shop had reconfigured the brake pedal for him so he wouldn't drag the brake with his artificial leg.

I saw him yesterday and he told me the bike was recently stolen. The bike was recovered but knacked up.  He was able to get a fair insurance settlement.   He purchased a 650 VStrom as replacement.  Russ and his wife also own a couple of Indians.

I have no idea why someone would steal a Guzzi. 

I thought I'd pass it on for those of you that know Russ.
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Offline Knuckle Dragger

• Gosling
« Reply #2506 on: August 03, 2020, 09:26:17 PM »
Mongrels.
Severus bastardis

Offline Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2507 on: August 03, 2020, 09:33:49 PM »
Mine has an anti theft device on the tank, donated to me from the USA...

« Last Edit: August 03, 2020, 09:34:25 PM by Huzo »

Offline Bpreynolds2

• Gosling
« Reply #2508 on: August 04, 2020, 07:47:44 AM »

I have no idea why someone would steal a Guzzi. 

Thought it was an air cooled Beemer?   :boozing:
2020 T120 Bonneville

Offline astros50

• New Egg
« Reply #2509 on: August 31, 2020, 10:22:31 PM »
Can anyone comment on the long-distance comfort of the seat?  Can you go a full tank without that burning sensation?  Also, how does the engine pull and the bike handle with the bags loaded and maybe a roll bag stapped to the pillion?  I took a test ride a couple of weeks ago and was really impressed, but I want to take a longer test ride and see some feedback on this before I make the decision.

My opinion is in direct contrast to some I have read on Facebook and the ADV Forum. 

But, with a little over 2600 miles on my V85 (1000 of which were in 20 hours), I think the stock seat is the MOST comfortable seat I have ever had on a bike.  That includes one I had rebuilt to make it better.  The seat and the V85 fit me like no bike I have ever owned.  I love it and can't ride it enough. 

I guess I am not much of a handling connoisseur, but I have had one long tour with the panniers loaded and a bag strapped to the seat.   I didn't notice much of a difference.  Riding with my wife makes a pretty big difference, but this bike is mostly a solo bike for me. 

Good luck with your research.  V85 Adventure is a great bike for me.  I hope you find the same thing for you.

Offline blu guzz

• Gaggle Hero
  • Loves to ride
« Reply #2510 on: September 01, 2020, 05:52:00 AM »
Greetings:

Let me share my experience with tires.  Several weeks ago, the rear tire still looked pretty thick, but looking at it yesterday, I will need tires soon.  this bike has the "Anakees" on it and currently has about 8,700 miles.  I would estimate it could slip into the 9,000 range with minimal tread left.  I will contact Cadre today to see about availability.  I am concerned because I did some internet checking yesterday and J and P Cycles seemed to be out of stock for most of the ones I checked.  I will update this later.
Blue Guzz

Offline usedtobefast

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #2511 on: September 01, 2020, 02:41:33 PM »
So, I have an update for those that are interested.

First of all, I've seen a slight increase in complaints around several forums of the V85TT clutch, which might not mean much or it could be just a coincidence. Nevertheless, here are the results.

According to the mechanics at my dealership, they said these markings are "uneven and abnormal", and it seems as though the clutch plate is not being pushed properly therefore the contact is improper or misaligned.

And this makes me wonder if there was a bad batch of pressure plates or clutches in general that were installed on some V85s, or could this just be an individual thing... Also, does the flywheel and clutch plate look bad? I don't know how some things should or should not look like. I mean visually to anyone, even those that have no mechanical inclination whatsoever, this looks wrong, but mechanically, would it perform bad just because it looks bad?

Any update to this?  Did they get your bike all sorted out?  Any root cause or did they just put in a bunch of new parts?

2017 V7 iii Racer
2017 Griso
2016 Stornello
2000 Red Quota
Want a black/green 1000S big valve :)

Offline Vagrant

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2512 on: September 22, 2020, 03:41:21 PM »
I give up! After two trips through the on line shop and owners manual and two margaritas
 I still can't find the max rpm for a v85. Sales literature says about 8000 but I doubt it. Sa
Cadre is advertising $1000 trade in for a 400ccbike on a v85.
HE IS FREE WHO LIVES AS HE CHOOSES
2016 V7II, 2017 V7-III Blue special, 2022 V85 the fast red one! 2016 650 Versys
L-196, L-197

Offline Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2513 on: September 22, 2020, 04:38:31 PM »
I give up! After two trips through the on line shop and owners manual and two margaritas
 I still can't find the max rpm for a v85. Sales literature says about 8000 but I doubt it. Sa
Cadre is advertising $1000 trade in for a 400ccbike on a v85.
It’s on the tacho face...(I think)

Offline Jayell

• New Egg
« Reply #2514 on: September 22, 2020, 04:51:20 PM »
 I still can't find the max rpm for a v85. Sales literature says about 8000 but I doubt it.

I'm fairly certain it's about 7800RPM. Twist the throttle until the limiter kicks in, then you'll know for sure.

Offline Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2515 on: September 22, 2020, 06:29:10 PM »
I just read through the first few pages of this thread again..and again.
#4 & #6 are particular favourites..
I know it’s childish, but jeez it’s satisfying.. :popcorn:
Sort of in the same mould as early responses to... the “Why won’t they do it” thread.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2020, 06:34:07 PM by Huzo »

Offline Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2516 on: September 22, 2020, 06:44:23 PM »
As expected, I read a lot of negative comments here. It seems obvious to me that Guzzi is never going to stand up again with the help of their existing clients, some of whom seem to be drinking a bucket of vinegar in the morning  :wink:.  Guzzi  desperately needs new blood that looks at their models without any prejudice.  1,5 year ago I sold my Norge to buy a Bmw f700gs and got a lot of criticism for that.  I wanted a lighter bike with decent hp and torque , and Guzzi did not offer it. So, I really like the V85, I hope it lives up to it's expectations (Hp, torque, seat, suspension....) etc.  And I hope they sell tons of it, even if that would make Guzzi less "exclusive" (which seems to be the only reason some people buy Guzzi).
Sorry, had to get that off my chest....
Touche’ Sir... :thumb:
Hey..! This is page #85 of the thread, surely this is a sign..
« Last Edit: September 22, 2020, 06:45:34 PM by Huzo »

Offline DesertPilot

• Gosling
« Reply #2517 on: September 22, 2020, 11:38:25 PM »
On my second V85 now.  The first one got taken out by an SUV at 3600 miles.  I took the opportunity to check out pretty much every other bike on the planet, but the way I see it, as long as I don't feel a deep heartfelt need to cruise long distances at 100 MPH, this is the perfect machine for the kind of riding I do.

...though I'm still trying to sort out the perfect windscreen setup.  Next step may be to bolt a used Madstadt top I picked up on eBay to the bottom of the Givi Airflow I pulled off what was left of the old bike to see if I can get a venturi system like I had on my Tiger 800 to work.  In the unlikely event this succeeds, I'll post pictures.

Offline Bpreynolds2

• Gosling
« Reply #2518 on: December 27, 2020, 08:08:08 AM »
Somewhere back there, much earlier in this thread I asked about mpg.  Revisiting this here as more get broken in and wondering if anyone has seen their range changed for the good.  Tempting myself in a way as Guzzi continues to offer the $1000 trade-in option.  So, how many miles you getting between tanks?
2020 T120 Bonneville

Offline skippy

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #2519 on: December 27, 2020, 08:19:10 AM »
Somewhere back there, much earlier in this thread I asked about mpg.  Revisiting this here as more get broken in and wondering if anyone has seen their range changed for the good.  Tempting myself in a way as Guzzi continues to offer the $1000 trade-in option.  So, how many miles you getting between tanks?

Depends on the riding but I consistently get 220-250 miles between fill-ups with a mix of interstate and highway riding. The more highway riding at 65 mph or less the better the mileage. Not sure if this was helpful.

Skippy
23 V100 Mandello
20 V85TT

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here