Author Topic: Best all around bike ever? (if there is such a thing)  (Read 17170 times)

Offline Darren Williams

• Finally got me a Griso!
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Life is too short to go slow!
Re: Best all around bike ever? (if there is such a thing)
« Reply #60 on: July 07, 2019, 04:27:46 PM »
The joys of riding a motorcycle with long travel suspension go far beyond nonpaved surface.

Or broken up, pot holed, and patched pavement with frost heaves and such. My current GS, past Stelvio, and just finished test riding a new V85TT, didn't wallow at all when leaned over on bumpy curves. Good long travel bikes can handle very well.

Incidentally, I was very impressed with the V85TT. Power was better than I expected and it handled very well.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2019, 06:08:44 PM by Darren Williams »
The best part of riding a motorcycle is to tilt the horizon and to lift the front coming out of a corner and to drift the back end powering thru loose dirt and to catch a little air topping a hill and... yeah it's all good!

Offline boatdetective

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #61 on: July 07, 2019, 04:33:48 PM »
I have to say at the moment that my camhead R1200R is a pretty excellent all rounder. The "apparent weight" of the thing in the driveway and at low speeds is very manageable.  The frame is well thought out so that your heels feel quite close together. Handling is quite good with easy tip in. The engine is pretty much the last- and perfected air cooled boxer. Plenty of torque and with the Akra can, it does not sound like a sewing machine. Super easy to check valves. I can slap a large windscreen on it and full bags for a trip. 

I recently bought a 2013 CB1100. Not because I needed one- just because I've always loved the design. It is a lovely bike in every way. Gorgeous design, very high quality build, perfect manners.

Jonathan K
Marblehead, MA

1981 V50III "Gina"
2007 Griso 1100 "Bluto" (departed but not forgotten)
2003 EV "Lola" gone to the "Ridin' Realtor" in Peoria
2007 1200 Sport "Ginger"

"Who's the cat who won't cop out, when there's danger all about?"  -Isaac Hayes

Offline Cam3512

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #62 on: July 07, 2019, 06:05:29 PM »
This is a MOTO GUZZI forum, isn’t it?  Maybe some of you guys should rethink some of your choices. 
« Last Edit: July 07, 2019, 06:11:26 PM by Cam3512 »
Cam in NJ
'67 Stornello Scrambler
'71 Ambo Police
'74 V7 Sport
‘20 V85TT

http://mgnocnj.forumotion.com

Offline Furbo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #63 on: July 07, 2019, 06:13:52 PM »
Honda NX650 'Dominator".

Have had one since '05. Alpine passes, daily commuting, lite touring, Hochenheim ring, fire roads. Son uses it now. Aircooled and simple.

Killeen, TX
'96 Sport 1100
'72 N. Falcone
'72 Eldo

Eccl 9:9,10

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #63 on: July 07, 2019, 06:13:52 PM »

Offline Murray

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #64 on: July 07, 2019, 06:14:02 PM »
This is a MOTO GUZZI forum, isn’t it?  Maybe some of you guys should rethink some of your choices.

Or simply a reflection of the corner the factory has painted itself into with thier current product line.

Offline Darren Williams

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #65 on: July 07, 2019, 06:19:31 PM »
This is a MOTO GUZZI forum, isn’t it.  Maybe some of you guys should rethink some of your choices.

I had a bike shop manager (Suzuki and Triumph dealer) tell me once that they thought Guzzi owners were generally real motorcycle enthusiast. I took that as a complement. While I really enjoy my Griso, I have 4 other non-Guzzi bikes that that do things better for me than anything Guzzi has to offer. Just because I am pro Guzzi, doesn't mean I am anti other makes.
The best part of riding a motorcycle is to tilt the horizon and to lift the front coming out of a corner and to drift the back end powering thru loose dirt and to catch a little air topping a hill and... yeah it's all good!

Online LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #66 on: July 07, 2019, 06:22:47 PM »
We should just change the name of the thread to best Adventure Bike rather than All Around Bike. 

Even folks that don't own one are citing them instead of the bike they own and ride themselves.  I have difficulting understanding this.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2019, 06:23:52 PM by LowRyter »
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Offline Darren Williams

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #67 on: July 07, 2019, 06:34:41 PM »
Maybe the ADV bike concept embodies the "all around" title. Upright position, wide bars, lots of suspension travel, long fuel range, able to carry a lot of gear, adequate weather protection and able to traverse unimproved roads as well as smooth roads. The good ones, like the Stelvio, can go very sportingly on the twisties.

Offline DougG

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #68 on: July 07, 2019, 06:47:36 PM »
Hi Huzo,

I believe that this is your quote:

"Early reports suggested that it would never see the light of day, but rumour has it that Guzzi are bringing out a thing called a V85..
Would that go near ticking enough boxes ?" 

AND YOU ARE RIGHT!

The V85 is pretty damn close.  The problem is that I would either have to significantly lower the bike, or stretch my pigmy hippo legs (29" inseam).  I always wondered why BMW and others do not engineer a bike with lower seat heights.  It's not impossible and it would open the potential customer pool.  Think HD.  The seat height, and knee gap, has always determined which bikes I would even consider.  I am very comfortable on my Cali 1400 Tour.

Be well,
DougG
A possum playing possum is no big deal.  Find one that can play giraffe, now you got yourself something!

Offline boatdetective

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #69 on: July 07, 2019, 07:32:47 PM »

...and maybe some of the responses are a reaction from a number of Guzzi owners. I've owned four Guzzis. All except the EV needed work (I didn't keep the EV long- it didn't fit me and it shifted like a 1920s tractor).  Both my BMW R1200R as well as the Honda CB1100 are clearly better machines than any of the Guzzis I've owned.   Sad, but true.
Jonathan K
Marblehead, MA

1981 V50III "Gina"
2007 Griso 1100 "Bluto" (departed but not forgotten)
2003 EV "Lola" gone to the "Ridin' Realtor" in Peoria
2007 1200 Sport "Ginger"

"Who's the cat who won't cop out, when there's danger all about?"  -Isaac Hayes

Online Dave Swanson

• Gaggle Hero
  • Northern Illinois USA
« Reply #70 on: July 07, 2019, 09:13:55 PM »
I think the V7 fits the bill for best all rounder! 

Enough power to run at highways speeds all day.

Light and nimble enough for light off road forays - okay - some gravel roads  :)

With some decent luggage I think it would make a good touring bike.

Dave Swanson - Northern IL
1935 GTS
1968 V700
1973 V7 Sport
1974 Eldo
1974 Police Eldo
1976 Convert
1977 Lemans 1.2
1980 T3 California
1993 1000S - Sparklehorse
2004 V11S - Eraldo-ized
2016 Griso SE - Beetle-ized
2021 V7-850 Stone Centenario
2022 V85TT Guardia d'Onore
2023 V100S

MGNOC L-780

Offline unclepete

• Hatchling
« Reply #71 on: July 07, 2019, 09:28:28 PM »
If I had to have just one .

Offline Scud

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #72 on: July 07, 2019, 09:40:46 PM »
I have asked this question many times and I own the answer to it... and none of you have mentioned it yet:

The answer is Husqvarna 701 Enduro. This is a far better street bike than it has a right to be... and I actually think I am faster on tight asphalt on this than on any sport bike I have owned. And it's a damn good dirt bike. And two-up or solo with a lot of luggage is no problem.

I have a Stelvio as well, and I love it for the comfort on the long hauls, the convenience of the locking cases, and the range from the 8.5 gallon tank. But I would not ride it solo down a frozen creek bed... and stuff like that is important to me.

Those of you who mentioned the DR 650 as the best all-arounder... now imagine better suspension on the "bush-pig" along with superior handling on the street and twice the power... 

I love having multiple bikes, but if economics change (and my physical ability and riding style doesn't) then the 701 Enduro will be the "last bike standing" in my garage.
1989 Moto Guzzi LeMans
2002 Moto Guzzi V11 Sport Scura
2017 Husqvarna 701 Enduro
2017 Moto Guzzi Stelvio NTX
2020 Yamaha TW200

Offline AH Fan

• Gaggle Mentor
  • small stable of Italian stuff
« Reply #73 on: July 08, 2019, 12:39:33 AM »
This one IMHO....

Offline Knuckle Dragger

• Gosling
« Reply #74 on: July 08, 2019, 01:19:32 AM »
If you love plastic and ugly. I had one for 6 months. It did nothing for me.

To each his own, I suppose.
Severus bastardis

Hymes Inc.

« Reply #75 on: July 08, 2019, 01:28:27 AM »
Yamaha DT400

Online Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #76 on: July 08, 2019, 01:43:38 AM »
I think you guys are missing the "best bike" ever.......Bronson's XLCH Sportster.  Started one kick every time.  Could go anywhere.  Morphed into a bike for every venue.  :evil: :evil: :evil:
From the Deep Deep South out in left field.  There are no stupid questions.  There are however stupid people asking questions.  🤣, this includes me.  😉

Offline Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #77 on: July 08, 2019, 02:51:20 AM »
There’s a difference between best bike and favourite bike.
Best bike...Triumph Sprint ST (2006)
Favourite bike... Moto Guzzi Norge (current)
Most memorable...Honda SL 70 (1973)
Biggest influence on early memories..Suzuki GT 750 (1978)

Offline Litre1000

• Hatchling
« Reply #78 on: July 08, 2019, 05:57:52 AM »
Nothing mate..
It was a 750 SR,  but I decided I wanted to tour Australia seriously and then see the world, so off she went.
Identical to this one in every way.

What a beauty! That machine is high on my list right now. I just need to sit on one and see how it feels. I rode the new BMW 1000RR yesterday. I’m not sure how grown men can ride these bikes nowadays. Felt too damn small. Great bike you had there...!

Online rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
« Reply #79 on: July 08, 2019, 08:05:01 AM »
The joys of riding a motorcycle with long travel suspension go far beyond nonpaved surface.

Yes.  The Quota's strong suit.  No matter the road, it was a comfortable ride.  I clearly remember riding with some friends who were on their track-ready Ducati Monsters.   They were really pissed about the knarly county roads I took them down one day.  I didn't even notice the rough surface.  They were beat half to death!
Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea
2004 California EV Touring II
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." - Theodore Roosevelt

Online rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
« Reply #80 on: July 08, 2019, 08:06:53 AM »
I think you guys are missing the "best bike" ever.......

No, they're missing the "all around" part. 
Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea

Online rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
« Reply #81 on: July 08, 2019, 08:15:34 AM »
I don't see dirt bikes and adventure bikes being the deal for me.  I avoid dirt roads where possible and trails altogether.  If I wanted to ride those, I'd get a dedicated machine but it certainly wouldn't be my best all-around.

"all around" would include unpaved roads.  You don't need a dedicated 'dirt bike' for running those roads.  Just a bike with long-travel suspension.

I've been lucky enough to enjoy some beautiful unpaved roads in Utah, Arizona, Colorado, and New Mexico on the Quota 1100 ES I once owned.  You're missing out by not giving them a try.  Monument Valley.  Valley of the Gods.  Muley Point.  Burr Trail.  Alpine Loop.  Ophir Pass.  NM-456.  Etc, etc...
Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea

Offline molly

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #82 on: July 08, 2019, 08:33:37 AM »
100bhp rear wheel, 80ft/lbs torque, shaft drive, 20 litre tank, air cooled, easily home maintained, cast wheels, half fairing.
 Then stick a label on it and it will do for me.
Dave

Lincolnshire, U.K.

Griso 1100

Offline kirby1923

• Gaggle Mentor
  • '81 CX100
  • Location: SoCal (rural) near Tehachapi CA, Rogers AR when in the states other times GMT+1 thu +6
« Reply #83 on: July 08, 2019, 08:44:32 AM »
"all around" would include unpaved roads.  You don't need a dedicated 'dirt bike' for running those roads.  Just a bike with long-travel suspension.

I've been lucky enough to enjoy some beautiful unpaved roads in Utah, Arizona, Colorado, and New Mexico on the Quota 1100 ES I once owned.  You're missing out by not giving them a try.  Monument Valley.  Valley of the Gods.  Muley Point.  Burr Trail.  Alpine Loop.  Ophir Pass.  NM-456.  Etc, etc...

So very true this. Even w/the little over 5" travel on my rockster the back roads can be stunning.(just slower than a GS).

The adventure machines open up a whole new world for single track., and they can for the most part hold their own on pavement!

Like a model T Ford or a good quarter..go anywhere!

:-)
'81 CX100

A calm and modest life brings more happiness than the constant pursuit of success combined with constant restlessness.. Einstein,A

Online LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #84 on: July 08, 2019, 08:45:40 AM »

Again, adventure bike doesn't mean best all around (EDIT) bike. 

I wager few here ride dirt roads and don't want the compromise just for the possibility.  Sure, it sound like fun to do but I wouldn't want to have one all the time just for the possibility that I ride it on vacation when it is as compromised on dirt as it is on pavement. 

And since most here don't own one might make the point.

« Last Edit: July 08, 2019, 09:49:58 AM by LowRyter »
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Online rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
« Reply #85 on: July 08, 2019, 08:57:51 AM »
Again, adventure bike doesn't mean best bike.

Yes.  Correct.  However, title of this thread is:  "Best all around bike".  not "best bike".

Just like a Corvette is a great sportscar, but not a good "all around" car.  And, something like a 6-cylinder Subaru Outback is a great all-around car, though not real sporty and not real luxurious, but can be used for anything, anywhere.

I think we need to get you on a V85TT. 

Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea

Offline JohninVT

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #86 on: July 08, 2019, 09:14:48 AM »
In a lot of ways adventure bikes are tarted up standards with long travel suspension.  They have most of the qualities riders say they look for when shopping bikes.  They usually have great range, comfortable ergonomics, decent weather protection and a suspension setup that is relatively plush.  How they're typically ridden(and their attributes) put them squarely in the standard/sporty touring bike niche.  Before manufacturers standardized the 17" wheel size for road work a lot of bikes had wheels more similar to the V7, which is a helluva lot better for riding down a gravel road than a 17" wheel set.  An 18 or 19" front wheel makes a huge difference once you start riding rough or dirt roads.  I don't think it's much of an exaggeration to say that given equal riders a Honda CB350 would walk away from a Ducati Panigale on a gravel road.  Sure, the opposite is true once you hit pavement but a bike somewhere in between is what makes it a better all rounder.  ADV bikes have standardized a 19' front and 17" rear running a 150 series.  It's a great size combination for all around performance on varied surfaces.         

Online LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #87 on: July 08, 2019, 09:55:45 AM »
Yes.  Correct.  However, title of this thread is:  "Best all around bike".  not "best bike".

Just like a Corvette is a great sportscar, but not a good "all around" car.  And, something like a 6-cylinder Subaru Outback is a great all-around car, though not real sporty and not real luxurious, but can be used for anything, anywhere.

I think we need to get you on a V85TT.

Fixed my statement.  I've said for years that the Honda Accord is the best all around car.   Perhaps ID-ing an Adv bike would be like saying an Escalade AWD is the best all around car?   Jeep whatever?   Subbie Outback?  There might be a reason that Accord sells more than all those put together.  OK, maybe a Dodge Ram truck?  I drive my pickup at least once a month.  My SUV gets driven when I don't want to get my cars dirrty.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2019, 09:58:59 AM by LowRyter »
John L 

Online rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
« Reply #88 on: July 08, 2019, 10:16:15 AM »
Fixed my statement.  I've said for years that the Honda Accord is the best all around car.   Perhaps ID-ing an Adv bike would be like saying an Escalade AWD is the best all around car?   Jeep whatever?   Subbie Outback?  There might be a reason that Accord sells more than all those put together.  OK, maybe a Dodge Ram truck?  I drive my pickup at least once a month.  My SUV gets driven when I don't want to get my cars dirrty.

John,

numbers of sales do not have anything to do with "all around" usefulness.  Accord may sell by the millions, I don't know.  I do know that while they're popular in suburbia, they're a lot less popular in places where Jeep, Subaru, and other SUVs are most commonly found.  You can drive a Jeep to the mall, but can you drive an Accord from Ouray Colorado to Lake City Colorado over Engineer Pass?

Honestly, the best "all around" vehicle I've ever owned or driven was a Chevrolet Suburban.  It could carry seven people and their gear comfortably over long distances.  It could haul and tow what an equivalent pick up could.  It could quietly and comfortably cruise the interstate at any speed.  It could go off pavement.  It could commute to work.  I currently have two vehicles that have replaced the Suburban, a 3500 pick up for "truck duty" and a V6 Ford Fusion for "car duty".  I'd trade them both for another Suburban or Yukon XL.
Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea

Offline sidmonsters

• Hatchling
« Reply #89 on: July 08, 2019, 10:23:56 AM »
I like this topic...and what's the best all-around oil??  Just playing.  But I think it is a good question and of course the best all-around bike is going to be a jack of all trades, master of none as goes with the classification.  I drive a Subaru Outback, own a Stelvio and a RE Himalayan (don't tell my wife, she's pretty sure it belongs to her :boozing:) so I guess I'm up to my neck in all-arounders.  And my lovely wife dresses up well AND can ride the Tail of the Dragon in a downpour without a single word of complaint, so Swiss Army knives for me, I guess.  The question also applies to riding gear, as I feel like I am making a compromise of safety/comfort/utility every time I dress to ride...always helmet, jacket, gloves but after that depends  (not Depends, the brand, but maybe in my future) where I'm headed etc etc etc
Steve
I intend to live forever.  So far, so good....
2013 Stelvio NTX
2019 Royal Enfield Himalayan
2007 Vespa 250ie

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here