Author Topic: Simplyj's "Girlfriend's Guzzi" Build Thread  (Read 41277 times)

simplyj

Simplyj's "Girlfriend's Guzzi" Build Thread
« on: October 02, 2014, 09:11:52 AM »
So I've taken delivery of the salvage 2014 Moto Guzzi V7 Stone I purchased at auction to build into a mild street scrambler style bike inspired by the Baak V7.  Finally had some time to assess the bike and order stock replacement parts.  Overall the bike is in very good condition despite being a salvage title.  Tank and headlight/dashboard took the brunt of the damage.  I'm hoping the tank can be salvaged, because a $1200 new tank would be a big hit to the budget.  The tank has one large crease and several dents, however, it is holding gas just fine.  Speaking of gas, the nice folks at the auction company were nice enough to leave some gas in the bike and, despite the key being broken off in the ignition cylinder, the bike fired right up on the first try. 

This build is going to take place in my NYC backyard.  I've built or repaired 3 other bikes back there, much to the chagrin of some neighbors and the delight of others.  Thankfully my building manager is a motorcycle enthusiast and doesn't hassle me.  But, I've already ordered most of the parts so hopefully this build won't take too long and there won't be much in the way of custom work that will create noise or fumes to piss off the neighbors.  I learned my lesson on my last build and after a shelling out for a nice bottle of wine for the upstairs neighbors, I won't be doing any more paint work out back, haha. 

Inspiration:

Bike as delivered:

Tucked away in the backyard:

my trusty shop dog Whisky in the background

Tank damage

Valve cover damage

Front end with damaged headlight bracket removed.  Fender is fine but brace is cracked.  Looks like the bolts were bent as well so I'm now looking forward to drilling out the remaining two and possibly re-tapping fork mounting holes. 

Front brake line cut

Parts ordered from Harper's Moto Guzzi:
Fork Stabilization Plate:  $34.73
Head Cover:  $81.12
Spark Plug Cover: $unlisted - guys at Harper's are looking into it
Head Cover gasket: $4.82
Brake Hose: $42.23
Copper Washers x4:  $1.30ea

Aftermarket parts (initial list):
Danmoto Classic Cockpit Gauge - I will be also making a custom Moto Guzzi vintage style gauge face to replace the standard Danmoto one

Renthal streetfighter bars (using without the pad)

LSL Clubman 6.5" headlight

Emgo polished cafe style headlight ears

Lossa Engineering Stubby Can mufflers:

Kenda K761 tires

Tomaselli grips (had em laying around and they look dark brown on black bars)

As far as the bodywork goes, the plan is to have the tank fixed and painted in gloss black.  Front and rear fenders will be bobbed and, along with the side covers, also painted gloss black.  Seat is going to be shaved and recovered in brown bison leather by a local upholsterer Corinna of Via Meccanica in Brooklyn.  All turn signals and tail will be LED. 

Will be updating as the bike progresses.  Most pressing issue is removing the ignition switch to bring to a locksmith to have the broken key removed and new keys cut.  Damn shear rivet is making it a hassle.  Looks like I'll have to remove the triple to get access and leverage to either cut a slot and use a screwdriver or drill it out.  Top nut looks to be a 28mm or 29mm... anyone know for sure?

Cheers,
Jason

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
Re: Simplyj's "Girlfriend's Guzzi" Build Thread
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2014, 09:24:47 AM »
That looks like that might just come out all right!   

What really impresses me is your ability to work essentially right there in the street in an urban environment .... !

Looking forward to see how it all finishes up, keep us apprised ...

Lannis
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

simplyj

« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2014, 09:41:26 AM »
Thanks Lannis,
I've adapted to the environment during my last few builds... some hightlights from past builds:
SV650 rebuild and suspension swap after getting hit by cab

CL350 build

latest 2001 Triumph "scramblerization"
can't tell from pic but suffered from light front and rear accident damage

Offline drawnverybadly

• Hatchling
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2014, 09:57:57 AM »
Really looking forward to see how your yard build turns out! Do you do your custom seats by yourself? If you do send it out, who in NYC can you recommend?

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2014, 09:57:57 AM »

Online Perazzimx14

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2014, 10:06:53 AM »
If the tank is holding gas I'd fill the damage and re-paint. That stubby muffler (if it can even be called a muffler) is very squid like. Ditch it and get something that will compliment your build not detract from it.
2021 Moto Guzzi V85TT Guardia D'onore
2017 V7 III Carbon Dark #0008 of 1921
2017 Road Glide Special
2020 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2016 Suzuki Van Van 200

simplyj

« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2014, 10:18:25 AM »
Quote from: drawnverybadly
Really looking forward to see how your yard build turns out! Do you do your custom seats by yourself? If you do send it out, who in NYC can you recommend?
As mentioned, I'll likely be using Corinna of Via Meccanica.  http://viameccanica.com/

I don't have any personal experience with her, but saw one of her seats this past weekend at the DGR and was sold. 

If the tank is holding gas I'd fill the damage and re-paint. That stubby muffler (if it can even be called a muffler) is very squid like. Ditch it and get something that will compliment your build not detract from it.
I'm not the biggest fan either, but I'm bound by her choices.  I personally like the Lossa reverse cone (as used on my bike) but she saw this V7 on instagram and liked the look:

« Last Edit: October 02, 2014, 10:23:23 AM by simplyj »

biking sailor

« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2014, 11:24:50 AM »
Looking forward to following this thread! Off to a great start and wishing you well in the build.  ;-T

And lots of  :PICS!:  (especially the GF when she gets to ride it finished for the first time, with a big grin of course!)

Offline tonUPRacer

• Gaggle Mentor
    • My Racer FB page
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2014, 11:27:56 AM »
good luck with the build, just don't let GF see the new ducati scramblers
2013 V7 Racer #393
2001 Ducati 900SS (sold)
1999 Ducati 900M (sold)
1979 HD XLS Sportster (sold)

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2014, 12:49:27 PM »

I hope she didn't like the look of those full knobby tires; that would be a miserable ride on the street ('cause I'll bet a small paycheck this bike's not going stump-jumping  :o ) and would put ANYone off riding ...  :-\

Lannis
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

Offline toma nova

• Gosling
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2014, 03:18:47 PM »
Do you mind sharing how much you paid for the salvage at auction?  Or, how much the total build will end up costing?  I'm thinking about a winter project and a salvage rebuild is something I'm considering.

Also, what would have caused the crease in the left side of the tank?  Did the forks / triples rotate that far to the left?

Looks great, I love the inspiration.

Tom
2014 Stelvio NTX
2008 1200 Sport - sold

Offline Loftness

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2014, 03:28:24 PM »
Good stuff!  Looking forward to following your progress.
Fletch

2013 V7 Stone
1984 V65sp
1986 Vespa T5
1974 BMW R90/6

simplyj

« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2014, 04:05:02 PM »
Do you mind sharing how much you paid for the salvage at auction?  Or, how much the total build will end up costing?  I'm thinking about a winter project and a salvage rebuild is something I'm considering.

Also, what would have caused the crease in the left side of the tank?  Did the forks / triples rotate that far to the left?

Looks great, I love the inspiration.

Tom

Paid $3500 for the bike at auction + fees and transport.   Hoping to be around the $5000-5500 mark when it is all said and done which will put me at around 62-68% of a bone stock '14 model or 50-60% of the cost of performing substantively the same mods on a new or slightly used 2013-14 V7 stone. 

The salvage title process in NY is a bit of a pain, having to make an appointment to meet with an inspector to go over the bike, go through receipts, and see pics of the repair process to ensure none of the parts are stolen.  It takes a while to arrange and deal with, but beyond that it isn't so hard.  I feel comfortable that it won't be a severe financial hit should we decide to sell and most importantly, it gives my gf the opportunity to get more involved in my hobby by designing and helping to build her motorcycle.  I know I feel a much deeper connection to the bikes and cars I've poured my blood, sweat, and tears into rebuilding versus those I have viewed solely as means of transportation. 

Offline Matteo

• Alaska Guzzi's on Facebook
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Make me an offer I can't refuse!
    • https://squareup.com/store/doubleshovelciderco
« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2014, 08:06:44 PM »
After having Ed Milich rebuild my heads, I tried dime city' s 12 inch reverse cones on my V50III but removed them after I fired them up, couldn't take the noise level. Went with Lario mufflers and am pleased with the sound and appearance.
66 Stornello Scrambler,77 Lemans,80 CX100,16 V7II,21 V85TT Centenario
Gone to new homes: 84 LM3, 82 1000SP, 00 V11Sport, 84 V50III, 84V65, 00 Jackal, 07 Norge

Offline kevdog3019

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2014, 08:29:10 PM »
Tell me about this bison leather upholsterer.  I have a seat that I want done really nicely.  This sounds interesting and the brown is what I'm looking for.  Hmmm...
'86 V65 "Super" Lario
'85 Honda Nighthawk 700s
'86 V65 Lario

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2014, 09:01:52 PM »
I know I feel a much deeper connection to the bikes and cars I've poured my blood, sweat, and tears into rebuilding versus those I have viewed solely as means of transportation.

Ab so lutely..
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

simplyj

« Reply #15 on: October 02, 2014, 10:45:52 PM »
Tell me about this bison leather upholsterer.  I have a seat that I want done really nicely.  This sounds interesting and the brown is what I'm looking for.  Hmmm...

She doesn't specifically do bison leather, however, she said she would source us a hide. My gf saw a triumph scrambler with a Baldwin bison leather seat and fell in love with it. So that's now the game plan.

Offline kevdog3019

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #16 on: October 02, 2014, 10:47:40 PM »
Got an email into Corrina; thanks. I like her seats also. Will see if pricing fits the bill.
Kevin
'86 V65 "Super" Lario
'85 Honda Nighthawk 700s
'86 V65 Lario

simplyj

« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2014, 08:49:03 AM »
Was at work late so by the time I got home, there was very little time for the bike.  However, I was able to remove the top triple and get the lock cylinder out, install the new bars, and mocked up some adjustable levers and lollipop mirrors I had laying around so the gf could get a visual to help decide what style she wants. 

Lock cylinder out and currently at my local locksmith.  He got the broken key out and unfortunately it was broken off just a little short.  When I left the shop this morning, he was trying to work out the last notch.  Fingers crossed! 
(don't worry, I vacuumed after I was done)

Bars and emgo headlight ears on.  Renthal ergonomics are better in my opinion and makes for a more comfortable riding position than the stock bars.  Width is about the same. 

Tomaselli grip on to see how it looks (no grip glue at this point)

Mirror shot.  I'm partial to stock style mirrors as all the bar end and lower profile mirrors I've used over the years give crap visibility... gf isn't sold yet. 

The rest of the night was spent on the computer mocking up a gauge face in photoshop... my skills are rudimentary and I wish I had knew illustrator so I could make a vector image, but I think it'll work.  The 160mph is a little ridiculous, but I stuck with the original gauge sweep. 

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #18 on: October 03, 2014, 09:04:35 AM »
Those of us (myself included) who are sometimes prone to bitching about working in less than ideal conditions should remember your talent/ability to do much more with much less. Well done so far.  ;-T
Current Fleet

18 Guzzi V7III Carbon Dark
13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

simplyj

« Reply #19 on: October 03, 2014, 09:24:09 AM »
Considering the bikes environment and intended use , leaving the small dent in the tank kinda makes sense . Oh , and yes to mirrors that function as mirrors , especially in NYC traffic .

Dusty

I'd agree if it were just a small dent.  The big crease at the front of the tank is unsightly and she really wants to go gloss black with the bodywork.  Finally found a body shop willing to take on the job though...

oldbike54

« Reply #20 on: October 03, 2014, 09:38:25 AM »
I'd agree if it were just a small dent.  The big crease at the front of the tank is unsightly and she really wants to go gloss black with the bodywork.  Finally found a body shop willing to take on the job though...

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D Seems as though she is making all the decisions and you are doing all the work , pretty normal relationship  ;D

Dusty

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #21 on: October 03, 2014, 09:44:34 AM »

I'm chiming in late here, but as I've mentioned several times, having the right tool is about 3/4 of the job. Paintless dent removal guys have those tools, and know how to use them.
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

simplyj

« Reply #22 on: October 03, 2014, 09:55:25 AM »
I'm chiming in late here, but as I've mentioned several times, having the right tool is about 3/4 of the job. Paintless dent removal guys have those tools, and know how to use them.

talked to a few local paintless dent guys and all said the same thing, the damage is too bad for PDR.  The crease in the front is going to require a stud gun and puller.  Doesn't really matter as the tank is going to be repainted anyhow. 

Offline Grokked

• New Egg
« Reply #23 on: October 03, 2014, 10:00:41 AM »
Gauge face looks good.  Also, 160 doesn't seem too absurd since the stock gauge goes to 140, and the speediest I've been able to do was 98 and that downhill  ;-T
Were you looking to incorporate all the idiot lights?  If so, you left out the Check-Engine and Low-Fuel lamps.

simplyj

« Reply #24 on: October 03, 2014, 01:47:32 PM »
Gauge face looks good.  Also, 160 doesn't seem too absurd since the stock gauge goes to 140, and the speediest I've been able to do was 98 and that downhill  ;-T
Were you looking to incorporate all the idiot lights?  If so, you left out the Check-Engine and Low-Fuel lamps.

Unfortunately the gauge I'm using with doesn't incorporate those warning lights.  I'm planning on wiring two small LEDs in the gauge bracket for low fuel and check engine. 

Ran home during lunch to meet my super about something and found a few packages waiting for me.  Headlight arrived.  Took the 5 min to install and couldn't be happier.  6.5" is slightly smaller than stock but still big enough to throw some serious light.  Very happy with the look and quality of the LSL headlight.

Also grabbed the ignition from the locksmith.  After a lot of trial and error he was successful and I now have a fully functioning keyset for the bike!  Knock on wood but things are going pretty smoothly so far. 

Offline tonUPRacer

• Gaggle Mentor
    • My Racer FB page
« Reply #25 on: October 03, 2014, 01:51:24 PM »
Moving right along ;-T Just noticed the poor bastid didn't even have a chance to remove the warning stickers before she got crashed. How many miles on this salvage and how did you locate the bike?
2013 V7 Racer #393
2001 Ducati 900SS (sold)
1999 Ducati 900M (sold)
1979 HD XLS Sportster (sold)

simplyj

« Reply #26 on: October 03, 2014, 01:59:03 PM »
Moving right along ;-T Just noticed the poor bastid didn't even have a chance to remove the warning stickers before she got crashed. How many miles on this salvage and how did you locate the bike?

not sure since the gauge panel went missing in the crash.  Judging by the tire wear, I'd venture a guess of less than 500.  Found it browsing copart.com.  Sometimes I just browse for fun and happened to run across it about a week before my gf discovered Moto Guzzis and started her campaign to own one.  She's a smart girl, she brought bikes up again after softening me up with some good bourbon... I slipped up and told her I saw a good candidate... and now we're here. 

Offline Muzz

• Gaggle Hero
  • On the backside of the planet.
« Reply #27 on: October 03, 2014, 02:37:29 PM »
Hats off to your endeavours so far.  ;-T

It seems as though that you have caught "the disease". Most of us here have found Guzzi's to be strangely addictive, and very hard to shake. ;D
Muzz. Cristchurch, New Zealand
03 Breva

Life is just a bowl of Allbran
Ya wake up in the morning and it's there

crc

« Reply #28 on: October 03, 2014, 03:58:19 PM »
That tank will repair ok. I rebuilt my first moto morini 3 1/2 in my house bus, very limitated space. had it on the kitchen table a lot of the rebuild. the joys of batchelor life  ;)

wildduck

« Reply #29 on: October 03, 2014, 05:21:19 PM »
 ;-T

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here